Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was talking to some fourth years today:

One: I've loved vet school! I would do it all over again.
Two: I wouldn't. Well, I would, but I wouldn't have tried. Well. I would have tried. But not as hard.
One: Oh yeah, if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have tried at all.

I loved their sage life advice. :laugh: Just gotta keep it as chill as possible for the next few years and it'll all be okay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm firmly student 3. Lol.

Wait, I thought it was three different students. Uh, well. Go find a fourth year that says, "If I had to start over? Heeeeeeeyeeeell no I wouldn't do it again." And then throws up a little bit on their mouth just from the thought of it.

Then that's who I'm siding with.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm firmly student 3. Lol.

Wait, I thought it was three different students. Uh, well. Go find a fourth year that says, "If I had to start over? Heeeeeeeyeeeell no I wouldn't do it again." And then throws up a little bit on their mouth just from the thought of it.

Then that's who I'm siding with.

A student in our class took a medical deferral for next year, so we've been talking about what we would do if we had to quit (don't make the grades, need a deferral, etc) and I'm firmly in the camp of, "Nope. This is it. If I don't make it in this class, then I'm moving on."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Here goes the non-stop testing until summer :p

Today, I was in class from 8 AM to 6:30 PM...

Would it be frowned upon if I just order a pizza, stuff my face, and then pass out on my bed for a few hours before I start studying for my immuno test on Wednesday?
This would be smiled upon actually

Reactions: 8 users
Today, I was in class from 8 AM to 6:30 PM...

Would it be frowned upon if I just order a pizza, stuff my face, and then pass out on my bed for a few hours before I start studying for my immuno test on Wednesday?

The other day after I got done with a (completely ridiculous and I'm still bitter) kennel care ICU shift at midnight and drowned my sorrows in ice cream. Felt much better afterwards!

Sometimes you just gotta:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users
If it truly happens, my class is going to do a pizza crawl :hungry:. All thanks to a post in our facebook group asking if there is decent pizza in Columbus

The other day after I got done with a (completely ridiculous and I'm still bitter) kennel care ICU shift at midnight and drowned my sorrows in ice cream. Felt much better afterwards!

Sometimes you just gotta:
giphy.gif
The joys of being on path rotation, am I right? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My apartment is just outside of the delivery zone for my Insomnia :cryi:

Tomorrow's my Alive Day! 5 years since my injury, it's gone by quick. We're having mimosas at school, shhhhh

Reactions: 17 users
GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS!!!!!!!!!!

We dropped the guts of our cadaver pony today and it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS!!!!!!!!!!

We dropped the guts of our cadaver pony today and it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
This sounds like a quick and dirty lesson in learning the various loops and turns of the large colon. :p

Where does this go?! How does this fit in here?!? ;)

Reactions: 3 users
If it truly happens, my class is going to do a pizza crawl :hungry:. All thanks to a post in our facebook group asking if there is decent pizza in Columbus
This is a bit late, BUT have you tried Massey's Pizza?? My grandparents live just outside Columbus and it's my family's go-to restaurant whenever we visit! I don't know if there are any super close to campus...but I'd say it's worth the drive. lol

Anatomy exam tomorrow, and nutrition final on Friday :dead: so done with this week haha

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bit late, BUT have you tried Massey's Pizza?? My grandparents live just outside Columbus and it's my family's go-to restaurant whenever we visit! I don't know if there are any super close to campus...but I'd say it's worth the drive. lol
I rarely eat out so if I do and get pizza I get Brenz Pizza because it's so close to my house and their cinnabrenz are awesome. Might have to take a drive and try Massey's sometime

After getting my grade back today from my physiology exam last week, I am feeling sorry for my self by eating a Panera bread lunch, cuddling with kitties and napping (and avoiding all responsibilities that I should be doing). I put in so many stupid hours of studying for that exam and the really upsetting thing is that I thought I did well. :yeahright: Nothing worse than expecting to have a high B/low A and then WHAM!! You got a C! Ugggg:eek:
Really worried about how I should go about preparing for future exams as it's evident that my current method is not working.....

After getting my grade back today from my physiology exam last week, I am feeling sorry for my self by eating a Panera bread lunch, cuddling with kitties and napping (and avoiding all responsibilities that I should be doing). I put in so many stupid hours of studying for that exam and the really upsetting thing is that I thought I did well. :yeahright: Nothing worse than expecting to have a high B/low A and then WHAM!! You got a C! Ugggg:eek:
Really worried about how I should go about preparing for future exams as it's evident that my current method is not working.....
There is something worse. Putting your all into studying for your anatomy test, taking it, feeling confident that you got an A or B, and ending up with a D-... as is what happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

But, seriously, that really bites, RoryCat. It sucks to put so much effort into preparing but not have it pay off in the grade you want/expect. Have you considered meeting with your professor to discuss possible alternative study methods? I did that for anatomy after my terrible test score on the last test---it actually helped a lot and I feel like I'm retaining the information much better.

For the time being, try to relax. Enjoy your weekend and maybe go do something fun to take your mind off of things for a bit. You can't do anything about it at this point other than stay positive and try your best for future tests. You can do it! :)

Thanks Sandstorm for your words of encouragement! (We just had anatomy exam yesterday so it had definitely been a difficult week and we have 2 exams next week...)
The exam covered a lot of neuro regulation of GI functions and I have a feeling I confused myself as I was answering the questions, I only briefly looked over my exam as I was in such disbelief of my grade. The exams are not comprehensive and our next subjects are much more traditional "pathways" so I'm hoping that will help. And I actually have utilized the profs office hours and study sessions.

Good luck to you with anatomy, it has been my subject of struggle too. I just barely passed the class last semester. And I guess that's what has me in a funk as my "strong" subject has been physiology. I will be ecstatic if I get a C here on my anatomy exam. :)

Not that it is any consolation, but you aren't alone! I got a C on the exam too. I was super bummed as well.

Sorry Aloha! I guess we should be happy that we actually passed but it's just hard. :(:(
I easily put in 50 hours of studying for it and I just keep thinking of all the other things I could have done with my time. (Like cuddling my neglected kitties) Oh well! Got to move on so we can tackle parasit and path for next week!

I want to do a study on how much frequent breaks and laughter during studying helps with retention. Because I feel like I do so much better when I've been studying with my friends than when I'm alone slamming my head against a brick wall for several hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely got overambitious with everything I tried to take on this semester outside of classes :( I feel like I'm running myself into the ground. Going to spend this weekend prioritizing and figuring out what I can put on hold until spring break and/or the summer.

On the bright side, it's mostly a ton of cool research that will be part of my thesis.

Guys, it's the Saturday before finals week, and I can't study. I have like 5 lectures of phys to get through and I understand none of what I already got through, but I'm just over it. This quarter needs to be over.

Guys, it's the Saturday before finals week, and I can't study. I have like 5 lectures of phys to get through and I understand none of what I already got through, but I'm just over it. This quarter needs to be over.
0aa613ac60fd84b83a0a18d82abb8348.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
I want to do a study on how much frequent breaks and laughter during studying helps with retention. Because I feel like I do so much better when I've been studying with my friends than when I'm alone slamming my head against a brick wall for several hours.

Yea, I think it helps to an extent, and then it quickly goes off the rails. Two of my dude friends are joined at the hip (everyone has a cute nickname for the both of them together which is just their 2 names combined), but one of them I went to undergrad with, so all 3 of us became friends. They study together all the time, but I join for some sessions.

We spend about half the time studying, once the other half has gone by coming up with obscene mnemonics for the material.

Yea, I think it helps to an extent, and then it quickly goes off the rails. Two of my dude friends are joined at the hip (everyone has a cute nickname for the both of them together which is just their 2 names combined), but one of them I went to undergrad with, so all 3 of us became friends. They study together all the time, but I join for some sessions.

We spend about half the time studying, once the other half has gone by coming up with obscene mnemonics for the material.
Oh we definitely get off track. But I also get off track when I'm alone. Just there's no one else there to be like "Hey, maybe we should get back on track for a minute" so I tend to stay off track longer. Plus having them quiz me on things is the best.

Also, the bolded is adorable :D

Oh we definitely get off track. But I also get off track when I'm alone. Just there's no one else there to be like "Hey, maybe we should get back on track for a minute" so I tend to stay off track longer. Plus having them quiz me on things is the best.

Also, the bolded is adorable :D

Our cranial nerve mnemonic that started it all had two characters, Topless Tiffany and Fat Vicky. Tiffany and Vicky make appearances in every other mnemonic if we can fit them in. We're keeping them all and will create an illustrated children's book at the end of vet school of their adventures. The latest one for all the obligatory myasis flies, filth flies, mosquitos, gnats, and keds is:

Girls can come over here. Tiffany can shake her money maker, and can also cook some meatloaf.

Reactions: 5 users
Our cranial nerve mnemonic that started it all had two characters, Topless Tiffany and Fat Vicky. Tiffany and Vicky make appearances in every other mnemonic if we can fit them in. We're keeping them all and will create an illustrated children's book at the end of vet school of their adventures. The latest one for all the obligatory myasis flies, filth flies, mosquitos, gnats, and keds is:

Girls can come over here. Tiffany can shake her money maker, and can also cook some meatloaf.

My mneumonic for the cranial nerves would make you blush :laugh:

Got a 70% flat on my midterm last week. My imaging/histo was my best, anatomy dead center, and physio/neuro my worst. Gotta step it up, though. Need a B and C between this quarter and next quarter to stay for next year. Next quarter apparently sucks, so gotta go for the B this quarter.