Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Day 1, and I'm already extremely irritated by the way our semester is going.
today really was a blast, wasn't it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
today really was a blast, wasn't it?

I spent most of today packing and driving back (wish we'd heard about the blackboard thing before yesterday!), and after seeing what I missed, I think I'd rather have to pack and drive 150 miles every single day for the rest of the semester than do any of this.

In retrospect, that email we got over break about how we're now having 2 exams on one day should've been a sign of what's to come.

I spent most of today packing and driving back (wish we'd heard about the blackboard thing before yesterday!), and after seeing what I missed, I think I'd rather have to pack and drive 150 miles every single day for the rest of the semester than do any of this.

In retrospect, that email we got over break about how we're now having 2 exams on one day should've been a sign of what's to come.
yeah all I really got out of today was that pharm might be the class that fails me out of vet school

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah all I really got out of today was that pharm might be the class that fails me out of vet school

The clin path "group contract" and group work and group quizzes (seriously can we not freaking do this) might be the thing that makes me quit vet school before pharm can take me out.

Y'all are already back in class?!?!?!?

Yeah, and we had our last exam on Dec. 21. Also we've been hearing that they're cutting our vacation days for 4th year.

But don't worry, there's plenty of talk about ~*~*wellness*~*~.

The clin path "group contract" and group work and group quizzes (seriously can we not freaking do this) might be the thing that makes me quit vet school before pharm can take me out.

Yeah, and we had our last exam on Dec. 21. Also we've been hearing that they're cutting our vacation days for 4th year.

But don't worry, there's plenty of talk about ~*~*wellness*~*~.

Just no. To all of this.

Can't figure out why my kitten is so anti-nail-clipping lately. I'm the only one who has done her nails, and I've always been really careful to not quick her (and she's got white feet, so easy to avoid quicking) - and she's fine with having her feet handled, just gets very upset when the clippers get anywhere near her foot.

Working on retraining with positive reinforcement, it's just puzzling because I'm not sure why it's become an issue.

What surgery did you see/do/assist/etc?

I assisted with a rumenostomy, abomasopexy, and tube cystotomy, and got to do an epididymectomy (with a LOT of help) and an enucleation. And did a ton of closing because I love suturing.

It was a mini rotation that second years could do, and I was lucky to end up in a group of 4th years who were happy to teach me to do the things I didn’t know. I love my school!

Reactions: 3 users
I've decided to work out more consistently this semester - it really does wonders for my mental wellbeing and stress management, both of which I have struggled with in the midst of this vet school fandango.

Huzzah for endorphins and getting a little healthier!

I've decided to work out more consistently this semester - it really does wonders for my mental wellbeing and stress management, both of which I have struggled with in the midst of this vet school fandango.

Huzzah for endorphins and getting a little healthier!
I'll be attempting to do the same!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet! How do you like to work out? I've been doing 15-20 minute pilates workouts I find on youtube, ha.
If you want an awesome youtube workout- Go to fitnessblender!! They have AWESOME workouts for beginners onward, and have the best workouts (cardio, strength, abs, butt/legs, arms, you name it).

If you want an awesome youtube workout- Go to fitnessblender!! They have AWESOME workouts for beginners onward, and have the best workouts (cardio, strength, abs, butt/legs, arms, you name it).

Thanks for this!!!

Sweet! How do you like to work out? I've been doing 15-20 minute pilates workouts I find on youtube, ha.
I mostly run. Haven't been able to find my groove with strength stuff yet.

Waaaaay back before I got my blood clot thing I was actually lifting regularly, eventually I'd like to get back to it.

Thanks for this!!!
You're totally welcome! I've used their videos for almost a year now and I really notice a difference in my strength, shape, and stamina. FitnessBlender is great because:

1) They walk you through every step of the workout, point out common errors, and even have a preview of the next workout step.
2) They show you beginning or low impact modifications even in their advanced sets. Which was wonderful when I got sick in October and my joints were super inflamed.
3) They have a wide variety of any workout. You can find videos with dumbbells, and a ton with just bodyweight (it will still kick your butt/make you sore without the dumbbells, trust me)
4) They are easy to listen to and have no obnoxious music playing so you can play your workout music alongside them if you want.
5) Most of their videos (especially the newer ones) have a warm up and cool down/stretch already in there for you.

If you need any suggestions on where to start, I have a few favorites that I would be happy to share with you!

You're totally welcome! I've used their videos for almost a year now and I really notice a difference in my strength, shape, and stamina. FitnessBlender is great because:

1) They walk you through every step of the workout, point out common errors, and even have a preview of the next workout step.
2) They show you beginning or low impact modifications even in their advanced sets. Which was wonderful when I got sick in October and my joints were super inflamed.
3) They have a wide variety of any workout. You can find videos with dumbbells, and a ton with just bodyweight (it will still kick your butt/make you sore without the dumbbells, trust me)
4) They are easy to listen to and have no obnoxious music playing so you can play your workout music alongside them if you want.
5) Most of their videos (especially the newer ones) have a warm up and cool down/stretch already in there for you.

If you need any suggestions on where to start, I have a few favorites that I would be happy to share with you!

I would love any advice! I do fine with cardio stuff; I go swim or use the eliptical at the campus gym. But I would love to start working on some muscle building.

I would love any advice! I do fine with cardio stuff; I go swim or use the eliptical at the campus gym. But I would love to start working on some muscle building.
PMed ya!

My cerebellar hypoplasia kitten made it to the top of her cat tree last night for the first time and this seems more notable to me than anything I've accomplished in vet school ever. :laugh:

Reactions: 11 users
We're going to start our live animal spays in...three weeks? JFC.

3MAx9Mz.png

My cerebellar hypoplasia kitten made it to the top of her cat tree last night for the first time and this seems more notable to me than anything I've accomplished in vet school ever. :laugh:

Just realized this makes it sound like I have kittens that aren't cerebellar hypoplasia ones.

Maybe I should get her a sibling.

Reactions: 1 users
Ughhhhh I want onneee. I almost adopted a CH kitty named Shimmy from the rescue I worked with in vet school and I've basically regretted not doing so since tbh.

I need to be saved from myself or my wobbly cat is going to get a wobbly sibling, and I shall call them Weeble and Wobbles.

I've been talking about getting her a friend for a while, and one of my classmates sent me a message last night that she's fostering another CH kitten who is a couple months younger than my girl, and asked if I wanted her.

I know y'all are the wrong people to talk me out of doing this. :laugh:

I need to be saved from myself or my wobbly cat is going to get a wobbly sibling, and I shall call them Weeble and Wobbles.

I've been talking about getting her a friend for a while, and one of my classmates sent me a message last night that she's fostering another CH kitten who is a couple months younger than my girl, and asked if I wanted her.

You need her!

latest

Alright frands, let's manufacture some real conversation right now, I'm not having those c/o 2021 losers (jk, love you guys) pass us just because they started their thread 5 billion years early

This week I have the perfect opportunity to catch up on studying because I'm only at school for like 2 hours a day and working on research for our case for maybe another hour or two.

But instead I've taken several naps.

Anyone else have a hard time dealing with all the negativity in vet school? Lately seems like the only thing I hear people say are complaints, which I get because it does suck a lot of the time, but it’s even more mentally exhausting trying to keep a positive attitude when surrounded by that. Even changing up who I am around, it seems like that attitude is just everywhere. I genuinely enjoy what we are learning most of the time, and it’s so much easier to get through all of this by just being happy with a decent attitude.

Anyone else have a hard time dealing with all the negativity in vet school? Lately seems like the only thing I hear people say are complaints, which I get because it does suck a lot of the time, but it’s even more mentally exhausting trying to keep a positive attitude when surrounded by that. Even changing up who I am around, it seems like that attitude is just everywhere. I genuinely enjoy what we are learning most of the time, and it’s so much easier to get through all of this by just being happy with a decent attitude.
I've been really, really lucky to find a group of friends that is generally positive and upbeat. We have our complaints of course but most of the time we're enjoying ourselves. I think you're going to find a little negativity everywhere because it is such a difficult/stressful process, but you have to try your best to not let it get you down too.

On the other hand keep in mind everyone deals with things differently, and sometimes "just being happy" isn't a real option. I think the best thing to do in those situations is be supportive if it is someone you're in the position to do that for. If it is draining for you it is perfectly acceptable to walk away from it though.

ometimes "just being happy" isn't a real option.
Very true, didn't mean to sound like I was saying people need to just suck it up, because I totally get that isn't always a thing, nor should they have to. Not to say I don't complain either, sometimes I just can't handle the amount of complaining I hear. I feel like every conversation reverts back to school and how much it sucks, and that in itself sucks. You're totally right though, everyone handles things completely different, I just need to be better about not letting it affect MY day so much, like you said.

Alright frands, let's manufacture some real conversation right now, I'm not having those c/o 2021 losers (jk, love you guys) pass us just because they started their thread 5 billion years early
This is already feeling like the longest semester ever!!!!!!

And they're making me suture things, which I'm terrible at

This is already feeling like the longest semester ever!!!!!!

And they're making me suture things, which I'm terrible at
Sometimes I’m really glad I had to suffer through that already first semester haha it does come super quick though.

We’re two weeks in and start exams next week and I’ve just started putting any real effort into studying. Whoops. It’ll be fine though, right? :p

I refuse to respond to this on your thread but we are clearly winning right now and you will just have to live with it Dubz.

Also, geez team 2021, stop reminding her that this is a competition.

It will always be a competition, Fifi!

I saw pictures of her today and definitely 100% didn't start filling out the adoption application right away, and DEFINITELY didn't tell Wobbles she's getting a sibling, because I'm totally not adopting this kitten.
AND WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!

I'm just saying, my team should not be reminding you guys. It's like when you're playing monopoly and you land on someone's property but they don't notice. You aren't gonna say anything, you're just gonna hold your breath until the next roll and hope they keep not paying attention.

CHEATER

We have our first radiology exam on Thursday, over all the normal radiographic anatomy that we learned first year. I remember nothing, I have no idea how to study for it, and all the third years I've talked to have made it sound horrible. :cryi:

Also our schedule this semester is rough, I got spoiled last semester being done at noon on Fridays, and around 3 every other day depending on how long bacT lab took.

Oh, and we have two exams (radiology and virology) on March 8th, and three exams back to back April 23rd, 24th and 25th. Our clin path professor was willing to move her exam (the one on the 24th) to the following week, but since that's the week before finals it could only be done if the class unanimously approved it. Which of course didn't happen. :rage: Our class president is trying to figure out if we can move one of the other exams, but basically this semester is going to be the death of me.

2020 is already capslocking about this thread. I think we should just copy and paste posts to freak them out

2021 is already capslocking about this thread. I think we should just copy and paste posts to freak them out
WHICH TEAM ARE YOU EVEN ROOTING FOR?! (But also I have no alliance here so)