Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I unfortunately do not have a personal physician. Just got this new insurance and have yet to find a practice that will take it except for one doctor who isn't taking new patients... but definitely let me know what your doctor says!

My school's clinic is offering the series for $720 but idk if that's relatively cheap or not?

Ok, one doctor's visit and four phone calls later... it looks like it'll be covered!

Details, in case they help:

My doctor said he does not carry the vaccine but I should contact a travel clinic. I found a travel/urgent care clinic that does pre-exposure rabies and takes my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO). I called my insurance company to ask if it would be covered, and they said that immunizations are generally covered 100% and I wouldn't need to provide any paperwork, but I should get the exact billing code and call back to be sure. I called the urgent care clinic and they gave me the billing code. I called my insurance company again and gave them the code, and here's where it got a little tricky. The customer service rep put in the code and said it came up as a rabies "injectable oral medication." Since that didn't make sense, she then tried a whole bunch of combinations. Even with a specific billing code, how much I'm charged can depend on if the visit is coded as out-patient or in-office and if it's coded as an immunization (covered 100%) or an injection or injectable oral medication (I pay $500 and then the rest is covered at 80%). Eventually she figured that in this particular case, it shouldn't matter whether it's in-office or out-patient and that since it is an immunization, I should ask the doctor to code it as one and not an injection (and she said the doctor will as long as they think that's appropriate). I called the clinic back and was able to confirm that it will be coded as an immunization, so it should be covered 100%. Huzzah!

I hope this helps! For anyone else trying this, I would recommend finding a travel clinic that does rabies vaccines and making sure they take your insurance and are considered in-network (may be difficult if you have an HMO, but the clinic I'm going to is in-network for some HMOs so it's worth a try). Ask them for the billing code, then call your insurance company to ask if it's covered. You may have to go through something similar with immunizations vs. injections and in-office vs. out-patient. Feel free to PM (or ask here) if you have any questions.

EDIT: I'm annoyed with myself for not even trying this earlier. I used to volunteer at a wildlife clinic that would only let vaccinated people work with raccoons. I missed out on some baby raccoon snuggles!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, one doctor's visit and four phone calls later... it looks like it'll be covered!

My doctor said he does not carry the vaccine but I should contact a travel clinic. I found a travel/urgent care clinic that does pre-exposure rabies and takes my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO). I called my insurance company to ask if it would be covered, and they said that immunizations are generally covered 100% and I wouldn't need to provide any paperwork, but I should get the exact billing code and call back to be sure. I called the urgent care clinic and they gave me the billing code. I called my insurance company again and gave them the code, and here's where it got a little tricky. The customer service rep put in the code and said it came up as a rabies "injectable oral medication." Since that didn't make sense, she then tried a whole bunch of combinations. Even with a specific billing code, how much I'm charged can depend on if the visit is coded as out-patient or in-office and if it's coded as an immunization (covered 100%) or an injection or injectable oral medication (I pay $500 and then the rest is covered at 80%). Eventually she figured that in this particular case, it shouldn't matter whether it's in-office or out-patient and that since it is an immunization, I should ask the doctor to code it as one and not an injection (and she said the doctor will as long as they think that's appropriate). I called the clinic back and was able to confirm that it will be coded as an immunization, so it should be covered 100%. Huzzah!

I hope this helps! For anyone else trying this, I would recommend finding a travel clinic that does rabies vaccines and making sure they take your insurance and are considered in-network (may be difficult if you have an HMO, but the clinic I'm going to is in-network for some HMOs so it's worth a try). Ask them for the billing code, then call your insurance company to ask if it's covered. You may have to go through something similar with immunizations vs. injections and in-office vs. out-patient. Feel free to PM (or ask here) if you have any questions.

EDIT: I'm annoyed with myself for not even trying this earlier. I used to volunteer at a wildlife clinic that would only let vaccinated people work with raccoons. I missed out on some baby raccoon snuggles!

Hooray!! So happy it all worked out. It will be nice to have that extra money in your pocket this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of a mixed bag. Mine was covered because the military gives away all that stuff for free. A couple of classmates were able to get it covered by sending in the letter stating that the school required it (since it is included in CDC recommendations for specific occupations). Also, if you get the student health insurance here and get the vaccines through them, it's only $25 a shot, so other schools might have a similar thing.
Tricare wouldn't cover me when I tried still under my father's insurance... so mileage may vary there. I talked to a whole line of people higher up at our naval hospital trying to convince them, too. Working with feral cats and wildlife regularly wasn't high enough risk apparently. Grump.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had post exposure series done in 2012 but it was at three different hospitals (one of which doesn't exist anymore) because there was a shortage at the time. No way of getting a physical record of it, I'm guessing titer would be school specific. Really hope I don't have to do the whole series again since I had a pretty bad reaction to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Tufts said in their immunization email that the university typically sponsors a rabies vaccine clinic at the beginning of the semester - any Tufts students want to weigh in on whether that means it's free?? Or at least dramatically reduced in price?

Tufts said in their immunization email that the university typically sponsors a rabies vaccine clinic at the beginning of the semester - any Tufts students want to weigh in on whether that means it's free?? Or at least dramatically reduced in price?
You might be better off posting that in the Tufts 2020 thread- not sure how many tufts people in general come in this one.

You might be better off posting that in the Tufts 2020 thread- not sure how many tufts people in general come in this one.

Valid point! Ima rephrase the question - has anyone heard that their school might provide the vaccination series?

I'm also not overly excited about getting it. I feel like I'm going to react strangely to it slash I really just don't like shots to begin with.

Valid point! Ima rephrase the question - has anyone heard that their school might provide the vaccination series?

I'm also not overly excited about getting it. I feel like I'm going to react strangely to it slash I really just don't like shots to begin with.

MSU said they'll have vaccine clinics during the first semester but I have no idea how much it's going to cost so I'm trying to find out if I can get it covered by my insurance elsewhere anyways.

I think most (or maybe all) schools provide it, but I've never heard of it being free or even really discounted. If there's a Tufts Facebook page with current students, they probably can give you an approximate price or you could ask Tufts directly. I also recommend calling your insurance company- a bunch of us unexpectedly had it covered fully or close to it.

I had my first one yesterday, and it was fine. I'm just a tiny bit sore.

How did you find a travel clinic? I have united healthcare so not sure if this will work. I looked up some travel clinic locater and ive called 5 so far but none have rabies vaccines. I also tried passport health but they dont bill insurance and is 395 each ughhh.

EDIT--so called a company that does it for 295 each and they gave me the billing code and my insurance doesnt cover it at all. I found another one for 264 each but its an hour away from where im currently staying. My school estimates 800-1000 so that is a little bit cheaper than the low end of their range. Should I go ahead and do it early or just wait? Im worried about possible reactions, I think read somewhere on here people tend to react poorly to it, is that true? I am due for tdap so I need to go in anyways before school starts.

Last edited:
How did you find a travel clinic? I have united healthcare so not sure if this will work. I looked up some travel clinic locater and ive called 5 so far but none have rabies vaccines. I also tried passport health but they dont bill insurance and is 395 each ughhh.

EDIT--so called a company that does it for 295 each and they gave me the billing code and my insurance doesnt cover it at all. I found another one for 264 each but its an hour away from where im currently staying. My school estimates 800-1000 so that is a little bit cheaper than the low end of their range. Should I go ahead and do it early or just wait? Im worried about possible reactions, I think read somewhere on here people tend to react poorly to it, is that true? I am due for tdap so I need to go in anyways before school starts.

I just googled "travel clinic" "my city" "rabies." I live in a city large enough that there were a couple options, though one is Passport Health (doesn't take insurance here either).

Did you tell your insurance company that it's required and that you're considered at high risk of rabies exposure? Mine didn't care, but some companies do. If your doctor's willing to call and fight, that might help!

I'm guessing that clinics use the same billing code, but just in case the code I was given was 90675.

As for reactions, I think it really depends. I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine and usually, I don't feel it at all the next day. I had my first shot about 24 hours ago, and I'm just a little sore. I wouldn't do any heavy weightlifting, but I'm otherwise fine. This is how I generally react to tetanus vaccines, if that helps at all. I forget if I mentioned it above, but the clinic made me wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have a reaction. Some places make you wait 30 minutes.

I don't know if bad reactions are typical. The clinic didn't really warn me about anything, and just said they made me wait because I hadn't had it before. Maybe some people who have already had the series can chime in?

It sounds like you could save a little money doing it, but I don't know how inconvenient traveling to the clinic would be for you. Really up to you! Another thing to consider is if your insurance will change when you start school. If so, maybe that insurance would cover it.

So I'm back in my childhood bedroom for Spring Break and I was going through my closet and found this from when I was in 4th grade- about 12 years ago, when I was 8. I thought y'all would get a kick out of it.

IMG_0002.JPG

Also the reason I wanted to be a vet back then was because "I love animals and children." (How have I made it 12 years in hard classes since then with that original philosophy?). At least I still love animals- children are a different story.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm back in my childhood bedroom for Spring Break and I was going through my closet and found this from when I was in 4th grade- about 12 years ago, when I was 8. I thought y'all would get a kick out of it.

View attachment 216271

Also the reason I wanted to be a vet back then was because "I love animals and children." (How have I made it 12 years in hard classes since then with that original philosophy?). At least I still love animals- children are a different story.

But my real question is, why did you give up your art dreams?:p

Reactions: 1 users
The fact I can post here now.:biglove:

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Thanks you guys! :happy: Quick question: When did you all post it on FB? I haven't done so yet because I only have received an email and call--money isn't required until Mayish. I don't want to post it and then they call saying they changed their minds or something. lol :dead:

Thanks you guys! :happy: Quick question: When did you all post it on FB? I haven't done so yet because I only have received an email and call--money isn't required until Mayish. I don't want to post it and then they call saying they changed their minds or something. lol :dead:
I posted about it the same day I got my letter! You got an email and a call- they're not going to take it back!! :)

I posted it about two hours after I got the email, once I called all of my immediate family that would be seriously offended if they didn't hear it directly from me (mom, dad, brother, grandpa, two grandmas, and aunt).

I wake up every morning, fearing that OkState realized their mistake and are rescinding my admission- and it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I found out. So I promise you're not the only one!

Reactions: 3 users
I posted it about two hours after I got the email, once I called all of my immediate family that would be seriously offended if they didn't hear it directly from me (mom, dad, brother, grandpa, two grandmas, and aunt).

I wake up every morning, fearing that OkState realized their mistake and are rescinding my admission- and it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I found out. So I promise you're not the only one!

It's been two and a half months for me, that feeling I'm afraid, never goes away.

It's been two and a half months for me, that feeling I'm afraid, never goes away.
I was talking to my dad and he said that feeling, in general, never goes away. He said that several years after his college/ masters graduation he would frequently have nightmares that he actually didn't turn a paper or something, and didn't actually graduate. So yay for the crippling paranoia that we're not good enough!

Well glad I'm not the only one! Haha I guess I'll be posting it on FB soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was talking to my dad and he said that feeling, in general, never goes away. He said that several years after his college/ masters graduation he would frequently have nightmares that he actually didn't turn a paper or something, and didn't actually graduate. So yay for the crippling paranoia that we're not good enough!
I feel like we need a self esteem crash course in here. Part 1: Waking up every day saying "Yeah baby, of course they wanted me, I'm amazing."

Reactions: 7 users
I still check the portal to make sure my acceptance is still there :p (and also my acceptance of the acceptance)

Reactions: 2 users
I creeped on the admissions page for grad school and saw my status changed. So I emailed the grad school to see if it was a mistake. Then my soon to pi was confused about how I heard before I got the mail. Didn't tell him I was stalking the admissions page

Reactions: 5 users
I creeped on the admissions page for grad school and saw my status changed. So I emailed the grad school to see if it was a mistake. Then my soon to pi was confused about how I heard before I got the mail. Didn't tell him I was stalking the admissions page
Bales you were accepted to the PhD???

To anyone moving a long ways and taking a household with you. Highly recommend https://arcb.com/abf-freight. They are by far the cheapest I've found and are flexible with dates, time, and packing time. Thanks @Liquid_Phoenix for the suggestion, this was amazing!
You are very welcome! It helped us a ton when we moved across the country and I'm so happy they are able to help you too! Everyone wants to save a little money heading into vet school and I'm happy to help with that endeavor! :)

So I have a question. I received my financial aid package and was offered scholarships and a federal direct unsubsidized loan. For this one does interest accrue during school or after? I've gotten it to where I'm going to need to borrow like $26k for the year (includes tuition, housing/food, and all the other expenses listed). Can I take out this amount and give back whatever I don't use at the end of the year, or is it best to take out as little as possible? I want to be covered for everything, just not "over" covered if that makes sense?

So I have a question. I received my financial aid package and was offered scholarships and a federal direct unsubsidized loan. For this one does interest accrue during school or after? I've gotten it to where I'm going to need to borrow like $26k for the year (includes tuition, housing/food, and all the other expenses listed). Can I take out this amount and give back whatever I don't use at the end of the year, or is it best to take out as little as possible? I want to be covered for everything, just not "over" covered if that makes sense?

Interest is accrued while in school.

You do, however, have 120 days to give back money if you don't need it all (which is about the length of a semester). You can also take out less and if you need more, you can get it.

Interest is accrued while in school.

You do, however, have 120 days to give back money if you don't need it all (which is about the length of a semester). You can also take out less and if you need more, you can get it.

Thanks! I'll look into taking out loans per semester.

Thanks! I'll look into taking out loans per semester.
Loans are disbursed per semester even though you accept the amount for the year. So you have 120 days from each disbursement to return whatever amount without being charged interest.

Thanks guys! The majority of us have to take out loans, but what is the amount that is "comfortable" to pay back. In my case, I have absolutely no debt of any kind. I'm going to my IS and will estimate taking out 100k for everything.... so 12ok with interest? I'm looking at going into lab animal med and pathology, and those salaries are 100k and up (after 3 years of residency). I know the target is to have a 1:1 salary to income debt ratio. My plan is to go on IBR/PAYE/REPAYE after vet school and save for the tax at the end. I guess I'm just wanting to know if I'm financially in shape?

Thanks guys! The majority of us have to take out loans, but what is the amount that is "comfortable" to pay back. In my case, I have absolutely no debt of any kind. I'm going to my IS and will estimate taking out 100k for everything.... so 12ok with interest? I'm looking at going into lab animal med and pathology, and those salaries are 100k and up (after 3 years of residency). I know the target is to have a 1:1 salary to income debt ratio. My plan is to go on IBR/PAYE/REPAYE after vet school and save for the tax at the end. I guess I'm just wanting to know if I'm financially in shape?

My guess is you'd save a bunch on interest if you did the 10 year repayment plan. Check out a loan repayment simulator like vin to check out all the scenarios.

Don't forget about interest that will accrue during residency since you'll be unlikely to be able to pay much back at that time. There are also loan fees for federal unsubsidized (~1%) and grad plus (~4%) loans though it doesn't look like you'll be taking out grad plus loans.

Also keep in mind that there is no guarantee that those loan repayment programs will be in place going forward. No one knows specifics, but it's generally agreed-upon that current programs are not sustainable (especially PSLF) and will become less favorable to borrowers over time. Another thing to consider is that you actually pay more doing those programs (though your monthly payment is less) compared to standard repayment. If you haven't already, I suggest playing around with some repayment simulators. Here's one from the US DoE and here's one from VIN.

If all goes according to plan, you'll be graduating with well under the average debt for veterinary students, but that's all relative. It's still a lot of debt (though less than I'll be graduating with :p ) and what's comfortable for you to pay back really depends on you. Personally, I found the simulators really helpful.

If you really end up with a 1:1 debt to salary ratio, you will probably pay your loans to zero before you would hit the timeline for forgiveness under IBR/PAYE/REPAYE. It will be beneficial to be on those income-driven plans during residency, but once you make your full post-residency salary afterwards your income may be enough that you no longer qualify for those programs and your payment reverts to the 10 year amount OR you stay on it but pay them off before hitting forgiveness. If you do hit forgiveness, your balance may be low enough you don't have much to forgive. Also, though this is somewhat less of a concern for you than the people borrowing 200k+, don't forget that there is currently tax on everything forgiven (both principal and interest that has accumulated) because it's considered income that year, so you have to plan for that. The VIN simulator may help you compare total repayment costs of the current programs over time.

Edit: TrashPanda's comment about interest during residency is important to factor in too. I bet you'd accumulate about $550-600 of interest monthly during residency (which is like 25% of the average resident's salary) if your loan balance was 100-120k at graduation like you project. If you can't pay that much, your balance will grow and have to be considered. Over 21,000 interest might accumulate...though admittedly it would probably be less (so maybe 15,000?) because you'd probably be on an income-driven payment making a payment of $200 per month or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Jumping off of the current discussion, does anybody know what is a "reasonable" monthly payment via the standard repayment programs (e.g. 10 year, 25 year)? At this point in my life I have only been a student with part-time jobs, so I am not familiar with all of the different expenses and taxes I will have to deal with upon graduation. For instance, is a $1000 monthly payment doable for a single person starting off at a $65,000 salary (I think that's a reasonable salary for my area), or is that way too high to live modestly? I feel a bit stupid for asking this but I know many of you guys have more life experience than me. I have run the VIN simulator many times but I still am struggling putting the monthly payments into perspective.

VIN simulator is really the best.

I graduated with right around a 1:1 debt:income ratio and am currently paying to have my loans gone in 10 years... really rough napkin calculations, but it accounts to around 20% of my take home pay. I cringe watching it go every month but livable for sure, and that's with us buying a house shortly after grad and generally living less like a student than I had planned.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, don't know if it has been addressed, but generally first year you go ahead and take a bit more than you might think just in case until you have an actual baseline for your needs. There is nothing more stressful than getting used to things and suddenly finding yourself with no money on top of it and no way to get a job to fix it. It sucks, but don't screw yourself by being too conservative either.

Reactions: 2 users