Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which 4 processes are you referring to? The ones I'm thinking of right now are glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyruvate dehydrogenase, TCA, oxphos, and PPP, and that's 6 rxns.

(I've been drowning in biochem for the past two semesters so I'm trying to see what part y'all are on).

In class, she refers to the four main processes as glycolysis, pyruvate processing, TCA, and oxphos. But we did discuss gluconeogenesis too. She likes to jump back and forth between different things and it majorly confuses my brain. Just finished making a giant stack of flash cards and am going to try drawing out the processes on my whiteboard next.

Ahhh okay! Yeah gluconeogenesis is basically just glycolysis in reverse with 4 different regulate enzymes instead of 3 (thank yo mass action!)

Check youtube! There's a lot of really cool songs/ videos that detail them! We had a test over just glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyrivate dehydrogenase complex, and TCA that covered 4-5 weeks worth of material (easily the most detailed test I've taken in my life) and I used YouTube videos to get the pathways down in a jiffy!

My personal favorite:

Also this one which has what looks like 4 friends and a suuuuuuper awkward 5th guy:

Biochem was basically my favorite class ever and these posts are making me miss it:p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem was basically my favorite class ever and these posts are making me miss it:p

I wish I liked biochem. It would make the class bearable. Having a good professor would also help.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I liked biochem. It would make the class bearable. Having a good professor would also help.
It's frustrating when you don't have a good professor. You could always do what I did (or it's kind of late for that)... but my teacher had absolutely no clue (she had never taught biochem before). I studied the material like crazy and went to her office hours and ended up teaching her! She used what I showed her and taught her to teach the class (and whenever she had a question, I was the person she asked)... yes, kind of odd and off, but I wanted to learn something and knew that if I didn't do something it would be a horrid experience for everyone. Active learning at its best LOL ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh okay! Yeah gluconeogenesis is basically just glycolysis in reverse with 4 different regulate enzymes instead of 3 (thank yo mass action!)

Check youtube! There's a lot of really cool songs/ videos that detail them! We had a test over just glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyrivate dehydrogenase complex, and TCA that covered 4-5 weeks worth of material (easily the most detailed test I've taken in my life) and I used YouTube videos to get the pathways down in a jiffy!

I love these! And can't stop laughing about that awkward fifth guy who obviously didn't know the words to the song. "I'm just gonna stand here and smile and maybe no one will notice." :rofl:Also, would it be acceptable to break out in song during the exam? Only three weeks left of undergrad...might as well go out strong.
Want to fly to Oklahoma and take my exam? Are you blonde? If not, just dye your hair blonde and sit in my spot and nobody will know. :cool:

I love these! And can't stop laughing about that awkward fifth guy who obviously didn't know the words to the song. "I'm just gonna stand here and smile and maybe no one will notice." :rofl:Also, would it be acceptable to break out in song during the exam? Only three weeks left of undergrad...might as well go out strong.

Want to fly to Oklahoma and take my exam? Are you blonde? If not, just dye your hair blonde and sit in my spot and nobody will know. :cool:
I showed that to practically the entire class! We were humming it throughout the exam! I did really well on the exam so I guess it worked!!!

3M if you fly out to Oklahoma, you'll be able to hang out with meeeee after you take her exam!

You should've been a biochem major like me! I got to take all the biochem! So much fun!
that's how it was with my biochem 1 professor. He was soooo bad. But my biochem 2 professor is soooooooo good and she makes me happy to be studying biochem! I love it!

Reactions: 2 users
I showed that to practically the entire class! We were humming it throughout the exam! I did really well on the exam so I guess it worked!!!

3M if you fly out to Oklahoma, you'll be able to hang out with meeeee after you take her exam!

You should've been a biochem major like me! I got to take all the biochem! So much fun!
that's how it was with my biochem 1 professor. He was soooo bad. But my biochem 2 professor is soooooooo good and she makes me happy to be studying biochem! I love it!

We should have an Oklahoma party before I run away back home!

My final project for a class was a presentation on a topic I didn't feel all that knowledgeable about prior, so I was weirdly nervous. BUT it went super well and two of my professors pulled me aside afterward and said they were impressed. Totally made my day!

Now just a ten page paper and 2 finals and I'm done with undergrad forever!

Reactions: 6 users

I should have been a biochem major. I had no idea how much I would love it. That class was my jam and all my research was biochem stuff. If vet school hadn't worked out I totally would have gone down that road.

I definitely not blonde (brunette life haha), but I'll come take your test anyway:p

Yessssssss.
And I'll see you both at orientation :)

I'm also on the fence with the savma thing for next year, probably wont know for sure until last minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
And then there are brunettes who dye a considerable amount of their hair blonde because she has something to blame her dumb tendencies on!
As a natural blonde I am personally offended :p

Blonde highlights but that was quite awhile ago :p

Pics! But ya I figured highlights at least lol.
(Not every brunette has dyed their hair blonde, or even dyed their hair at all TBH)

It's a safe bet they have though, didn't say they all had.
As a natural blonde I am personally offended :p

To be fair they're already dumb and no amount of dye will help with that.

I don't know what group I'm in anymore :( (blonde vs brunette)

Dirty blonde ;)

Reactions: 4 users
This day sucked for about every reason, but mostly because my absolute favorite patient has a damn lung tumor and it makes me so sad for his awesome humans. Blah.

I've been avoiding coming in here until I knew for sure I was actually going to get accepted but I have been so here I am. Hi, guys!

Reactions: 13 users
I love your signature! What did you think of the revival?

I love your signature! What did you think of the revival?

Haha thanks! Honestly I really wanted to love it and it was a fun binge weekend but it could never be the original...the ending was not my fav either.

Fair enough. I liked it a lot. I thought she did a good job of catching the vibe of the original, although there were some things I thought it could have done without (like "let's show a brief glimpse of some random kid that's not Chad Michael Murray when we just as easily could have not included him at all"). I was okay with the ending, especially since it was the ending she originally intended for the show all along, but I want to see more now.

So Friday I will know if I need to take my only final. If I got an 80% on the test I took today, I won't need to which will be close. Then I need to finish my lab write up. Then wait until May 12th for the diploma

I'm so jealous of everyone who is almost done! My quarter doesn't end until June 15th!

I thankfully have 3 finals (maybe 2). I have to get above a 20% on my Physics final for an A and a 52% on biochemistry to keep my A. Animal breeding will be my most difficult, but last semester the professors made it option so crossing my fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I checked out of my last lab today and somehow my 400 mL beaker walked away

(side note: where do they go? Is there just a land filled with missing things like beakers, my motivation, matching sock?)

And I was preparing to bite the bullet and pay for the missing beaker when my lab TA slipped me one for free. She's the sweetest. I love her.
tenor.gif

All I have to do now is wait for PCR to run and I will officially be done with this biochem lab! :soexcited:

I checked out of my last lab today and somehow my 400 mL beaker walked away

(side note: where do they go? Is there just a land filled with missing things like beakers, my motivation, matching sock?)

And I was preparing to bite the bullet and pay for the missing beaker when my lab TA slipped me one for free. She's the sweetest. I love her.
tenor.gif

All I have to do now is wait for PCR to run and I will officially be done with this biochem lab! :soexcited:
Probably walked off with your lab partners brain (the one you had temporarily(?) who spilled acid on you:rolleyes:)

Probably walked off with your lab partners brain (the one you had temporarily(?) who spilled acid on you:rolleyes:)
I giggled at the "temporarily". Probably should add on my resume/ CV that my skills include taking my acid spillt shirt off in less than 3 seconds. I'd definitely get hired, right?

working on my final paper for philosophy. I swear philosophy papers take me twice as long to finish as scientific papers because I get so bored *snooze* (any motivational speeches are accepted) :bang:

working on my final paper for philosophy. I swear philosophy papers take me twice as long to finish as scientific papers because I get so bored *snooze* (any motivational speeches are accepted) :bang:
I'll motivate you if you motivate me. Had very little time to write my PKD paper this week so I have to do that tonight/ this weekend. :poke:

I'll motivate you if you motivate me. Had very little time to write my PKD paper this week so I have to do that tonight/ this weekend. :poke:
that sounds better than philosophy haha. wanna trade? you can write about the meaning and purpose of my life for me XD

that sounds better than philosophy haha. wanna trade? you can write about the meaning and purpose of my life for me XD
I mean. I can write it for you, but you might not like the quality of work/ the grade you get. :laugh: I'll can throw in my philosophy on people who actively study philosophy.

Also I got a text from one of my good HS friends that kinda stopped talking to me once we got to college and I got really excited.

And then I read:
"Hey Cdo I got a kitten a little bit ago- she lost most of her tail during birth and just recently the stub has been bothering her. She messes with it all day and it's starting to get raw and bleed frequently. It's actively bleeding now"

tenor.gif

My go to answer: "umm yeah I don't know. Sorry. I would take her to an actual vet... hope she gets better soon!"

Also, as soon as I responded that, she said "hmph". I asked her about her life since HS, and she opened the message and didn't respond. People are the worst.

I mean. I can write it for you, but you might not like the quality of work/ the grade you get. :laugh: I'll can throw in my philosophy on people who actively study philosophy.

Ha I should add that, but my course grade may drop by a letter grade or two from my answer :whistle:

Also I got a text from one of my good HS friends that kinda stopped talking to me once we got to college and I got really excited.

And then I read:
"Hey Cdo I got a kitten a little bit ago- she lost most of her tail during birth and just recently the stub has been bothering her. She messes with it all day and it's starting to get raw and bleed frequently. It's actively bleeding now"

tenor.gif

My go to answer: "umm yeah I don't know. Sorry. I would take her to an actual vet... hope she gets better soon!"

Also, as soon as I responded that, she said "hmph". I asked her about her life since HS, and she opened the message and didn't respond. People are the worst.
Your first mistake was telling anyone that you're going to vet school ;)

And then I read:

tenor.gif

I get waaaay too many medical questions for someone who hasn't even set foot in a vet school lecture yet. And a lot of human questions too..? My uncle asked me to take a splinter out of his finger "because I'm going to vet school". Psshhh, if I wanted to work on people I would have applied to med school. And why he couldn't do it himself, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 users
I get waaaay too many medical questions for someone who hasn't even set foot in a vet school lecture yet. And a lot of human questions too..? My uncle asked me to take a splinter out of his finger "because I'm going to vet school". Psshhh, if I wanted to work on people I would have applied to med school. And why he couldn't do it himself, I don't know. :rolleyes:
Right? When my family asks, I tell them that "I know enough to know that I don't trust myself actually knowing"

I've had many friend's parents with older animals ask me their opinion on when they should euthanize their animals. Like I am the right person to tell you that?! I have a feeling the medical questions will only continue now that I'm going to vet school lol