-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?
Started by PrincessButterCup
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I never said I wrote a good book 😉 So I guess you know everything too!
Oh good, I always wanted to know everything.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
. . . may (perhaps, needs more research) be technically correct if you're a grammar nazi. But I'll stick with ... it's less work 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to chime in here on this important topic... I have never seen the ". . . " version before reading this thread today.
Just to chime in here on this important topic... I have never seen the ". . . " version before reading this thread today.
Me neither...😕
Maybe your tears will smudge your heathen ellipses together enough that they'll look normal. 😛I'm going to go cry into my MLA manual
The Chicago Manual of Style says the spaced out version is correct. http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/SpecialCharacters.html
Also, that's what I use and I'm a 4th year student, so you know I'm trustworthy . . .
Also, that's what I use and I'm a 4th year student, so you know I'm trustworthy . . .
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I like how they mention that you can use non breaking spaces to kep it from breaking across lines...because why make things easy by removing the spaces when you can make them more complicated instead? I imagine this will go the way of the double space between sentences.The Chicago Manual of Style says the spaced out version is correct. http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/SpecialCharacters.html
Also, that's what I use and I'm a 4th year student, so you know I'm trustworthy . . .
Me before bed: "Wonder what exciting conversation is going on in the new c/o 2021 thread!"
......*goes to bed*
ellipses
ellipsis?
ellipsis
ellipsis
ellipsis
…
ellipsis
ellipsis
......*goes to bed*

You just made me realize I'm the only person who used the plural form of ellipsis.Me before bed: "Wonder what exciting conversation is going on in the new c/o 2021 thread!"
......*goes to bed*![]()
Me before bed: "Wonder what exciting conversation is going on in the new c/o 2021 thread!"
......*goes to bed*![]()
That's the wrong kind though . . .
Honestly, I'm still going to use the no space version...That's the wrong kind though . . .
Same…
Me too...Same…
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We sound like a group of very uncertain people right now...
We sound like a group of very uncertain people right now...
let this be a lesson to future classes - this ellipses argument is what happens when you start your class thread a gazillion years before most schools even send out acceptances
D
deleted676737
Like, sheesh, I thought that starting the c/o 2020 thread in February was still early...let this be a lesson to future classes - this ellipses argument is what happens when you start your class thread a gazillion years before most schools even send out acceptances
Idk but it just looks like morse code to me now (even though that's dots and dashes)Still gonna use both anyway..... . . . ..... . . . ....
Well all I have to say to that isIdk but it just looks like morse code to me now (even though that's dots and dashes)
.... . ... . . . .. .. . . . . . . .... ... .
Still in disbelief. Is this real life?
Just finished my first semester and I think this on a regular, almost daily basis. You'll get used to it.
C/O 2021 was getting a rep as a class of slackers! Now you're ahead of the curve.
View attachment 212005
I liked your comment purely for the Good Will Hunting reference
BUMP BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY
Is the grammar thread allowed to live again?
Is the grammar thread allowed to live again?
Is the grammar thread allowed to live again?![]()
You break my heart, Ski.
wut iz grammer
BUMP BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY
Is the grammar thread allowed to live again?![]()
It's February? Are you sure?
I'm never sure.It's February? Are you sure?
I can already hear the sounds of millions of people getting ready to post "Singles Awareness Day" posts on Facebook next week in a hollow and meaningless attempt to be clever, so I think it is February.It's February? Are you sure?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As one of the forum's resident old farts (and, a foreign language major - which, admittedly, isn't English), I have a suspicion the variation in ellipses stems from pre- and post-computer era. Similar to the debate about whether McKenzie is alphabetized before or after Madden.
I believe the "..." (no space version) is computerese and the ". . ." is handwrittenese/typewriterese.
And, of course, I'm slow and you're onto a new topic. Ignore me! I'll go sit in my rocking chair.
I believe the "..." (no space version) is computerese and the ". . ." is handwrittenese/typewriterese.
And, of course, I'm slow and you're onto a new topic. Ignore me! I'll go sit in my rocking chair.
My brother's cat is getting spayed next Tuesday. I made the appointment and picked that day on purpose because it's HILARIOUS but no one around here appreciates my humor.I can already hear the sounds of millions of people getting ready to post "Singles Awareness Day" posts on Facebook next week in a hollow and meaningless attempt to be clever, so I think it is February.
Ignore her, she's a Patriots fan 😛You break my heart, Ski.
As one of the forum's resident old farts (and, a foreign language major - which, admittedly, isn't English), I have a suspicion the variation in ellipses stems from pre- and post-computer era. Similar to the debate about whether McKenzie is alphabetized before or after Madden.
I believe the "..." (no space version) is computerese and the ". . ." is handwrittenese/typewriterese.
And, of course, I'm slow and you're onto a new topic. Ignore me! I'll go sit in my rocking chair.
If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. 😉
But there will be lots of dramatic pauses!If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. 😉
If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. 😉
I just noticed the age of the topic! And, I'm prepared, though I'm hoping my attempts to prove that both sides are in the right will help.
My brother's cat is getting spayed next Tuesday. I made the appointment and picked that day on purpose because it's HILARIOUS but no one around here appreciates my humor.![]()
there can only be one true right...I just noticed the age of the topic! And, I'm prepared, though I'm hoping my attempts to prove that both sides are in the right will help.
i mean, i find it kinda hilarious.My brother's cat is getting spayed next Tuesday. I made the appointment and picked that day on purpose because it's HILARIOUS but no one around here appreciates my humor.![]()
I just noticed the age of the topic! And, I'm prepared, though I'm hoping my attempts to prove that both sides are in the right will help.
False. My side is always right and the other side is left.
there can only be one true right...
I would just like to say that I love your avatar. Also, I love otters. A lot.
False. My side is always right and the other side is left.
Three lefts make a right...False. My side is always right and the other side is left.
Three lefts make a right . . .
FTFY
thank you!! @awesomenessity made it for me for the WW Basics game that's running right now, so it has a PSL!I would just like to say that I love your avatar. Also, I love otters. A lot.

Otters are life
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. 😉
Someone called for me?
which side are you onSomeone called for me?
which side are you on
...the correct one? Duh.
See, you came here to fight. I came here because they want it to get ugly in here and that is basically my bat signal.Someone called for me?