Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wrote a book!

No one said it had to be a good book, right?
I never said I wrote a good book ;) So I guess you know everything too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg. 2early4me

Reactions: 2 users
The Chicago Manual of Style says the spaced out version is correct. http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/SpecialCharacters.html

Also, that's what I use and I'm a 4th year student, so you know I'm trustworthy . . .
I like how they mention that you can use non breaking spaces to kep it from breaking across lines...because why make things easy by removing the spaces when you can make them more complicated instead? I imagine this will go the way of the double space between sentences.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We sound like a group of very uncertain people right now...
5fd35623425023c990e9f28089f34bab.gif

let this be a lesson to future classes - this ellipses argument is what happens when you start your class thread a gazillion years before most schools even send out acceptances

Reactions: 21 users
Still gonna use both anyway..... . . . ..... . . . ....

let this be a lesson to future classes - this ellipses argument is what happens when you start your class thread a gazillion years before most schools even send out acceptances
Like, sheesh, I thought that starting the c/o 2020 thread in February was still early...

Reactions: 7 users
Idk but it just looks like morse code to me now (even though that's dots and dashes)
Well all I have to say to that is

.... . ... . . . .. .. . . . . . . .... ... .

Reactions: 1 users
BUMP BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY

Is the grammar thread allowed to live again? :heckyeah:

As one of the forum's resident old farts (and, a foreign language major - which, admittedly, isn't English), I have a suspicion the variation in ellipses stems from pre- and post-computer era. Similar to the debate about whether McKenzie is alphabetized before or after Madden.

I believe the "..." (no space version) is computerese and the ". . ." is handwrittenese/typewriterese.

And, of course, I'm slow and you're onto a new topic. Ignore me! I'll go sit in my rocking chair.

I can already hear the sounds of millions of people getting ready to post "Singles Awareness Day" posts on Facebook next week in a hollow and meaningless attempt to be clever, so I think it is February.
My brother's cat is getting spayed next Tuesday. I made the appointment and picked that day on purpose because it's HILARIOUS but no one around here appreciates my humor. :yeahright:

Reactions: 5 users
As one of the forum's resident old farts (and, a foreign language major - which, admittedly, isn't English), I have a suspicion the variation in ellipses stems from pre- and post-computer era. Similar to the debate about whether McKenzie is alphabetized before or after Madden.

I believe the "..." (no space version) is computerese and the ". . ." is handwrittenese/typewriterese.

And, of course, I'm slow and you're onto a new topic. Ignore me! I'll go sit in my rocking chair.

If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. ;)

If you reawaken the ellipses debate, be prepared. It's going to get ugly in here. ;)

I just noticed the age of the topic! And, I'm prepared, though I'm hoping my attempts to prove that both sides are in the right will help.

I just noticed the age of the topic! And, I'm prepared, though I'm hoping my attempts to prove that both sides are in the right will help.

False. My side is always right and the other side is left.