Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
S. L. E. E. P.

Do you really need to ask this? I mean, the answer is obvious.... enjoy every second of those final two days of freedom.
:yeahright:

I mean like why have orientation that ends that far in advance of class?
Ours ended today too but we have class starting Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
@Miranda Senft or any other years... maybe @Caiter92? suggestions on studying the muscles for when you're at home and not with the cadaver?
Does your school give you prosections (diagrams of muscles that you can color in)? If not, use the VIN 3D canine anatomy. However, some of the muscles seem to be an abnormal size compared to the cadavers so make sure you're looking at your anatomy books (LITTLE MILLER'S IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!)

:yeahright:

I mean like why have orientation that ends that far in advance of class?
Ours ended today too but we have class starting Monday.

Are you jealous? ;)

Just kidding....

I mean, that is like all the Elementary schools and high schools around here starting on a Thursday then having a "teacher day" the following Monday in which the kids are off. Just start on Tuesday then... what is the point of starting on Thursday?

Is Dr. Whalen still helping out in anatomy this semester? He's awesome
Yeah he was there to show us how to use VCA, but I haven’t seen him since then. I think he said he teaches neuro(?)

Also, just curious what year are you vmh? Maybe I’ve seen you before

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah he was there to show us how to use VCA, but I haven’t seen him since then. I think he said he teaches neuro(?)

Also, just curious what year are you vmh? Maybe I’ve seen you before
I'm a second year, so I live a building away from you!

He does teach neuro, but there's been talk of him retiring for a few years now. I think he loves students too much to retire and they might have to drag him out of the building to get him to do it though lol

Reactions: 2 users
I usually float from group to group at school but have mostly bonded with the whiche kids from AZ and WY.
3 of us with our SOs are going to try and make like weekly dinner on Saturday or Sunday night a thing. I'm optimistic for it to be a fun thing just worried once the semester gets started it'll be a bit much.
BTW not ready for week 2 yet. Still missing like a million hours of sleep plus having another million things to have concretely in my head before needing to learn and know another million things next week :D

Reactions: 6 users
I was shocked when I found out it was just a Midwest thing

Like what do you mean you don’t just say hi to strangers you pass in public??????
Omg but why would you do that

Grew up in the south (where that is also a thing) and am still uncomfortable with it. Must be my Yankee blood.

3 of us with our SOs are going to try and make like weekly dinner on Saturday or Sunday night a thing. I'm optimistic for it to be a fun thing just worried once the semester gets started it'll be a bit much.
This sounds like a great idea, I highly recommend taking at least one night a week off from studying! First year I usually took Friday nights off since almost all of our tests were on Fridays. Second year I sometimes broke my rule because our test schedule was crazier, but you have to make time for fun things or you'll burn out quickly.

Reactions: 4 users
If you want to take a break from studying, and have a laugh;)

Reactions: 4 users
It feels so weird seeing how many people have already started classes, and my orientation hasn't even started yet...
I feel the same. Orientation doesn't start until mid-September lol

Midwestern niceness is a real thing. It's kinda shocking after going to undergrad with people from the NYC area...
Really?! I feel that people in the Midwest are often fake nice. People can be really petty lol, especially with service workers. I lived in Indiana for 4 years and was so happy to get out of there.

I find people on the West coast genuinely nice. My house mate from Tennessee was remarking how nice everyone in the neighborhood is. Someone knocked on our door because they found keys on the sidewalk. Another neighbor helped him carry a dresser in. Others have given us free fruits and veggies. I love living around mostly retired or 50+ folk lol.

What on earth did you already have a final in?

I'm sure Paws can answer this much better than me, but...

New curriculum at MSU. They have systems based courses where one class lasts for X weeks and then they move on to the next class. I think they also have a couple of semester long classes but most of them are just the one class at a time thing... so they just finished whatever the first systems class was, hence they already had a final.

(Paws please correct me if I'm wrong on anything)

What on earth did you already have a final in?
@finnickthedog is correct we have a couple of year long classes but the rest are all 2-3 week long blocks. We just finished the first one called "veterinary sciences 1" it was a combo class of microbiology (intro, normal commensals, year two will have parasites), evidence based vet med (research techniques), and nutrition. So this was the final exam :)

We start our next course Tuesday which will be behavior/animal handling/safety/welfare and biosecurity. It's called Animals in Society, and my wife always makes jokes about animals wearing top hats when I say the class name lol
giphy.gif

Reactions: 11 users
@finnickthedog is correct we have a couple of year long classes but the rest are all 2-3 week long blocks. We just finished the first one called "veterinary sciences 1" it was a combo class of microbiology (intro, normal commensals, year two will have parasites), evidence based vet med (research techniques), and nutrition. So this was the final exam :)

We start our next course Tuesday which will be behavior/animal handling/safety/welfare and biosecurity. It's called Animals in Society, and my wife always makes jokes about animals wearing top hats when I say the class name lol
View attachment 239262

Wow that sounds amazing.. haha i wish my school had your system

View attachment 239262
So do you see that material again like a VS2? Which are your year long classes? Anatomy is one I would assume?

So do you see that material again like a VS2? Which are your year long classes? Anatomy is one I would assume?
Anatomy isn't actually. The rest of the semester are body stystem classes. 3 weeks each. Musculoskeletal, neuro, cardio, cutaneous, etc. So each body system class does its own a&p, lab, physical exam, radiology, case studies, etc.

Our semester long classes are one health and practice management and finance.

Year one is "normal", year two is disease

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Tips for how to study muscle attachments would be appreciated!

Our lab TA suggested using string on an articulated skeleton to help visualize the attachments. It also helps to shorten or "contract" the string to imagine how it affects the muscle's movement. I'm a very visual learner, so I find this strategy has helped me!

Reactions: 1 users
Tips for how to study muscle attachments would be appreciated!

I find thinking about functions really helps me. Where does this pull to do what it does? If this shortens what will happen?
I'm finding this is the best way to know or at least get close to knowing the insertion/function. There's too many to memorize!

Also @WildZoo and I think it was @SARdoghandler I saw you guys talking about anki somewhere. It's amazing. I love how it staggers your cards based on learning. Makes things not so overwhelming and crazy. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm finding this is the best way to know or at least get close to knowing the insertion/function. There's too many to memorize!

Also @WildZoo and I think it was @SARdoghandler I saw you guys talking about anki somewhere. It's amazing. I love how it staggers your cards based on learning. Makes things not so overwhelming and crazy. Thank you!
No problem :) @awesomenessity has some great posts in the 2020 thread about it too

If you have any questions about it let me know! I have a plan to make some how-to videos for the program but that hasn’t happened yet haha. But I’m always happy to give advice and answer questions

VIN's 3D anatomy is really great. VIN in general is incredible. It has so many tools and I can see it being incredibly helpful for our clinical rotations. But the 3D anatomy has been awesome. You can delete muscles once you have them down and that allows you to visualize origins and insertions without other muscles in the way.

Glad to see we're all surviving so far! We got this! Our club fair is Thursday and I'm itching to get involved with a bunch. I'm already dying to snuggle some live animals and get in on some cool wet labs. Also, I got a good laugh from this gif. My physiology prof had this on his powerpoint for lecture. Some comic relief for you guys.

Reactions: 8 users
Classes start in two weeks . any advice for what I should do? I'm taking a short vacation and just hanging out but I wonder if there are things I absolutely need to buy or anything. What do people usually wear at white coats?

Classes start in two weeks . any advice for what I should do? I'm taking a short vacation and just hanging out but I wonder if there are things I absolutely need to buy or anything. What do people usually wear at white coats?
I personally wore a dress at my blue coat so I could have some nice pictures. I saw lots of people at mine wearing dresses too, but some were wearing dress pants and a nice top. I would assume your white coat would be similar if the school hasn’t specifically said you need to be dressed a specific way.

I personally wore a dress at my blue coat so I could have some nice pictures. I saw lots of people at mine wearing dresses too, but some were wearing dress pants and a nice top. I would assume your white coat would be similar if the school hasn’t specifically said you need to be dressed a specific way.
I figured it was basically just along the lines of "make sure you look nice". I went shopping but couldn't really find anything I wanted to wear or wasn't ridiculously expensive.

I figured it was basically just along the lines of "make sure you look nice". I went shopping but couldn't really find anything I wanted to wear or wasn't ridiculously expensive.
Yeah, I don’t think you really need to go out and buy something new if you have something that’s nice like a dress you already own or whatever you wore to interviews (minus a blazer if you wore one because I feel like that’s not really necessary and also trying to put a coat on top of a coat probably would be harder?)