Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I don’t think you really need to go out and buy something new if you have something that’s nice like a dress you already own or whatever you wore to interviews (minus a blazer if you wore one because I feel like that’s not really necessary and also trying to put a coat on top of a coat probably would be harder?)
My suit was part wool so I don't want to be super sweaty lol. I'll try on some of my dresses and see if they would work

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My suit was part wool so I don't want to be super sweaty lol. I'll try on some of my dresses and see if they would work
If you don't find anything I would check out some thrift stores if there are any near you- I have found some real gems in the past!

If you don't find anything I would check out some thrift stores if there are any near you- I have found some real gems in the past!
I was def going to do that. Thanks for the reminder!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice how to handle the first anatomy test? Our first one is microanatomy of tissues and embryology with some cytology and histology incorporated as well. It just seems like a lot of memorization, so I've been rewatching lectures and reviewing my notes. I haven't done flashcards since I wasn't a fan of them in the past... but wondered if they might be useful this time around?
I haven't taken a real anatomy (or physiology) class since HS, so I'm a bit rusty with these concepts.

MITOCHONDRIA IS THE POWERHOUSE OF THE CELL:boom:
:dead:

52B4D76B-8907-4400-AB75-6FD1E3E84D8C.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Any advice how to handle the first anatomy test? Our first one is microanatomy of tissues and embryology with some cytology and histology incorporated as well. It just seems like a lot of memorization, so I've been rewatching lectures and reviewing my notes. I haven't done flashcards since I wasn't a fan of them in the past... but wondered if they might be useful this time around?
I haven't taken a real anatomy (or physiology) class since HS, so I'm a bit rusty with these concepts.

Also, not sure if you’ve checked here for study resources, but there are quite a few
Vet School Study Tools

Even if you don't want to do flashcards I would highly recommend a method that makes you actually recall the information rather than just reading over it. Whether that's writing out all that you remember, looking at unlabeled images and trying to identify the structures, just something that makes your brain actively work.

Reactions: 6 users

Even if you don't want to do flashcards I would highly recommend a method that makes you actually recall the information rather than just reading over it. Whether that's writing out all that you remember, looking at unlabeled images and trying to identify the structures, just something that makes your brain actively work.

Seconding dubz. If you have objectives or access to old exams, having someone quiz you over them is a great way to study for a written portion because it forces you to recall the info. For the practical portion, I found the best way for me to retain was go with someone to lab a few days of the week outside class. We'd point to random structures and ask the other person to name it, it's origins and functions, what it supplies (for vessels) and branches off of or into, what it innervates, etc. Always in a random order to make sure it wasn't just memorizing.

Active studying is so important for something like anatomy, and really all classes.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Longer than me. I was dead inside before school even started haha
I mean I'm usually dead inside but I think I somehow died even more? Yesterday I legit stared at my cadaver for the entire lab section and didn't retain anything while my lab partners are over there heavily invested and quizzing each other. I just couldn't. Currently responsible over 50 muscles,all the bones in the forelimb and hindlimb plus pelvis-not to include what we learn this next week before the first exam. I needed a break from anatomy. So I baked cookies and brownies today then I'm going to the fair. It's fine :whistle:

Reactions: 6 users
It's the curriculum of the future!
I think UF is similar, and Davis for sure, though all of their classes are in blocks.

I know I’m late to this discussion but I wanted to confirm for any folks trawling through this thread trying to decide where to apply/attend that UF is like that. Anatomy, clinical skills, and a One Health/community outreach class are our only year long courses. I think it’s fantastic!

It's Monday. I need a nap. :sleep:
I’ve been chronically tired, moreso than I ever was in undergrad. Idk if it’s vet school or I’m old or both. I’ve even been taking naps from the 7pm-8:30pm (really inconvenient, ik). And let me tell you something—I only nap when my body tells me to nap (aka I can’t stay awake). My body has been telling me to nap like 3x a week. Before vet school, I napped liked once a month.

Reactions: 2 users
Lucky. We have to know the entire thoracic limb by Friday. We start on the pelvic limb in a couple weeks and then learn that on the dog, horse, and cow for 4 weeks. And then it’s done.
Interesting. We’re starting the hindlimb on Wednesday. And we’re only using the dog as a model for right now, but we’ll be doing large animal anatomy I think next semester.

Interesting. We’re starting the hindlimb on Wednesday. And we’re only using the dog as a model for right now, but we’ll be doing large animal anatomy I think next semester.
Ew. Why? The dog is plenty for now thank you. Do you have anatomy next semester?
We have it the whole year but only for half of this semester (because we’re on quarters so next quarter starting mid October we’re on clinics for 8 weeks). We start LA dissection Wednesday and the pelvic limb of everything the 24th (I think dog first, others after?).

Our anatomy gives a whole new meaning to Gross anatomy. :rofl:

We have it the whole year but only for half of this semester (because we’re on quarters so next quarter starting mid October we’re on clinics for 8 weeks). We start LA dissection Wednesday and the pelvic limb of everything the 24th (I think dog first, others after?).

Our anatomy gives a whole new meaning to Gross anatomy. :rofl:
Interesting...from and outsiders perspective that seems like a very broken up way to learn anatomy. Not sure how I would feel about that. What do you do for clinics?

I remember feeling that way for the first anatomy test, but by the time the second or third rolls around you’ll have covered so much I was wishing it was just limb muscle insertions. You all will do great!

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting...from and outsiders perspective that seems like a very broken up way to learn anatomy. Not sure how I would feel about that. What do you do for clinics?
Eh we’re learning it by part though. Thoracic limb, pelvic limb, thorax...

Beats me. From what I’ve been told on the uiuc thread it’s kind of like shadowing first and second year?? You may get to do some things, but generally the 4th years are doing the things because it’s their last chance to do them before they graduate and are tossed into the real world.

I remember feeling that way for the first anatomy test, but by the time the second or third rolls around you’ll have covered so much I was wishing it was just limb muscle insertions. You all will do great!

I remember for our first exam I couldn’t remember any insertions etc! Just couldn’t get it to stick. By the second exam, when we had learned so much other info and I hadn’t looked at insertions in a couple months, all of the sudden I knew them all! I guess my brain just needed more time to process them

I remember wanting to throw the clipboard over my head and storm out. A feeling that renewed itself at each station. Hey, guess how many times I’ve had to identify a muscle on a limb based on a transverse section? I hope they structure the course a little differently now.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember wanting to throw the clipboard over my head and storm out. A feeling that renewed itself at each station. Hey, guess how many times I’ve had to identify a muscle on a limb based on a transverse section? I hope they structure the course a little differently now.
Or tell whether it is a right or left humerus hidden in that sock?

Or tell whether it is a right or left humerus hidden in that sock?

I know they have a new anatomy professor so I hope she changed it because that sounds terrible

I am about to lose my mind. They gave us all of our exams within the same week. So I’ve had my first ever vet school exams EVER allllll back to back. We had phys/histo, then diagnostic imaging, today is anatomy, and tomorrow is immunology.

They keep sending emails about wellness and meditating and exercising. HOW CAN I BE WELL WEN U DO DIS TO ME.

Reactions: 3 users
I won't be back in town until right before school starts (...and my capstone exam is on the first day of class lol), but PM me and we can meet up later that week and I'll make you feel better lol. Remember, if everyone is exceptional then that means you are too. Give yourself credit where it's due and acknowledge that you are part of these groups you're talking about for a reason.

A lot of success in veterinary school is about resetting your bar realistically and recognizing that many of your classmates are struggling with the same things. Pull other people up alongside you and they'll do the same for you in return. It's not about being in the top of the class, it's about being in the class. Focus on that experience, stay in the present, and keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times for the next four years. :)
Somehow, I’m just now seeing this. Great advice, thank you :)

I am about to lose my mind. They gave us all of our exams within the same week. So I’ve had my first ever vet school exams EVER allllll back to back. We had phys/histo, then diagnostic imaging, today is anatomy, and tomorrow is immunology.

They keep sending emails about wellness and meditating and exercising. HOW CAN I BE WELL WEN U DO DIS TO ME.

Yup, sounds like vet school :lol: you get used to it eventually, by the time you get to third year you’re like “7 exams next week?? Eh let’s go see a movie” haha. Just remember your grades aren’t a reflection of your worth as a human or even how good of a vet you’ll be. Take the time to do things outside of school and keep up with your friends etc. Being refreshed and ready coming into studying makes you far more efficient than trying to slog through when you’re tired and grumpy. Be kind to your brain and it will be kind to you ;)

Reactions: 4 users

Ew. Like I know exams will get worse for us, but they like to try and ease us in here. 2 exams next week phys and anatomy. Then a week break then histo and then that's basically our major classes except principles of surgery which we only have a final for.

Yeah for the rest of the year we only have 1 or 2 exams a week. This is the only week they did this to us (4!!) and it’s our first ones. Oh well. Hopefully I don’t fail anatomy today. Yolo

Everyone in the classes above you have a lot of sympathy for you! I've talked to so many people about how bad we feel for your terrible exam schedule this week. We never had a schedule like that last year and I think things got a little wonky when phys reorganized their exam schedule.

Keep your head up and do your best. If you get a little down time (even the ten minutes between classes) try pulling up some of those mindfulness meditations on YouTube (a lot of them are only a minute or two long!) and taking a minute with those. It is really annoying when the school talks a lot about wellness and then gives you weeks like this one - unfortunately I think vet school sometimes has a tendency toward the "do as I say and not as I do" mentality lol.

Also, when all else fails go talk to Dr. Becker. She's a ray of sunshine :D

Reading about your many, many exams and I am suddenly very thankful for my school... One comprehensive lecture exam every two weeks, and one comprehensive lab exam every four weeks. :whistle:

Everyone in the classes above you have a lot of sympathy for you! I've talked to so many people about how bad we feel for your terrible exam schedule this week. We never had a schedule like that last year and I think things got a little wonky when phys reorganized their exam schedule.

Keep your head up and do your best. If you get a little down time (even the ten minutes between classes) try pulling up some of those mindfulness meditations on YouTube (a lot of them are only a minute or two long!) and taking a minute with those. It is really annoying when the school talks a lot about wellness and then gives you weeks like this one - unfortunately I think vet school sometimes has a tendency toward the "do as I say and not as I do" mentality lol.

Also, when all else fails go talk to Dr. Becker. She's a ray of sunshine :D
Update: it wasn’t that bad. Your class is wonderful.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Reading about your many, many exams and I am suddenly very thankful for my school... One comprehensive lecture exam every two weeks, and one comprehensive lab exam every four weeks. :whistle:
We have megacourses here so we have one midterm and one final (two days, first not cumulative, second day cumulative) each with an anatomy practical. Midterm is at week 4, final at week 8, and two quizzes between (weeks 2&6) and then repeat the next quarter.

We have megacourses here so we have one midterm and one final (two days, first not cumulative, second day cumulative) each with an anatomy practical. Midterm is at week 4, final at week 8, and two quizzes between (weeks 2&6) and then repeat the next quarter.

Gotta love the megacourses :love:

I think exam schedules pretty much suck no matter what everywhere. Like, there isn't really a good way to do it when you have this much information to learn. I know people who prefer just having a couple giant exams. For someone who is a chronic procrastinator like me, it would probably kill me to not have spaced out evaluation throughout the semester to motivate me to stay on top of things. Also would suck to have your grade tank because you had a bad day.

I used to do really well during finals so I thought the midterm week thing would work well for me (they implemented this for the classes below us). But last semester I bombed all my finals so that idea went out the window.

Now I'm just like...whatever, it's gonna suck no matter what, just gotta try your best with whatever you're given. We typically have one exam per week this semester, Monday or Friday. Sometimes a Monday and a Friday. One week we have a Tuesday and a Friday, that'll be fun.
I’ve been chronically tired, moreso than I ever was in undergrad. Idk if it’s vet school or I’m old or both. I’ve even been taking naps from the 7pm-8:30pm (really inconvenient, ik). And let me tell you something—I only nap when my body tells me to nap (aka I can’t stay awake). My body has been telling me to nap like 3x a week. Before vet school, I napped liked once a month.
Naps are a vet student's best friend. That and alcohol.

Reactions: 5 users