Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current feelings:
7E09B98A-3727-4092-87A4-34513790C1BC.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Just realized all my tests this semester are at 7am. Love that.

Yall better get a priest to perform an exorcism, cause that is freaking unholy.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well the immuno exam didn't go as well as I had hoped just walking out of there. On the other hand I got my first A in vet school on cardiophys which is ironic as my time spent studying does not equal grade correlation :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HOW DA **** DO I MEMORIZE ALL THESE PARASITES AND THEIR WEIRD ASS CYCLES IN THE NEXT 4 HOURS

You don't.

You try anyways and hope you whatever you retain in 4 hours is enough to get by.

Although personally I like to memorize as much as I can in like three hours and then just throw my hands up in the air for the last hour.

Reactions: 6 users
HOW DA **** DO I MEMORIZE ALL THESE PARASITES AND THEIR WEIRD ASS CYCLES IN THE NEXT 4 HOURS
You don’t. We just got our grades back and it was by far the worst grade I’ve gotten in vet school :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was so looking forward to having a nice long sleep after my anatomy midterm yesterday... instead I have been up all night with my sick dog. Is it the weekend yet? :sleep:

Reactions: 1 user

Merck!! Legit only half joking.

Edit: didn't read that this was yesterday. Lol

I’m really struggling this semester guys. I’m a very hands on learner. Last semester, it was a good 50/50 split between lectures and labs. This semester, we have 7 classes. SEVEN. And it’s so. Much. Lecturing. And it’s taught in a way that’s not very challenging, it’s all memorize, regurgitate, memorize, regurgitate. I haven’t studied for anything in like a week. And I have 3 exams coming up. I’m just not excited by the material this semester. Last semester was mostly anatomy so it was very tactile and practical and had clinical relevance. This semester is so much biochem and mechanisms and **** that I thought I’d be done with.

I’m doing fine mental health wise, I just keep beating myself up for not studying and then when I do study, I can’t concentrate because it’s SO BORING.

Ugh, I just feel very frustrated.
I hate the memorization too, I feel you. My brain just doesn't work that way. Hang in there.

Yeah I have 3 more I can take but I'm using that tomorrow for group study when people can explain things about the heart I don't understand. Also I would rather have multiple exams over the semester than one mega or two that determines my whole grade.

I just haven't studied very much. I've been very lazy like I get home at 5 alot this semester and by the time I eat +/- showering it's like 7 and recently I've just really wanted to sleep. I get home and I'm so tired-doesn't help my back has been out for 2 weeks off and on so literally sitting in lecture literally hurts. Also my lack of studying was not supported by the fact that I didn't study that much for anatomy and pretty sure I did well above passing on it. Immuno I've had before so it's less incentivizing to study. Then I just have physio, neuro and path. We haven't done much in path or neuro so literally that leaves physio so I just have no motivation and now I'm going to learn as much about the heart as possible in the next ~32 hours before my cardio exam. I have made poor decisions :lame:
My back literally constantly hurts. I was going to post on here because I need to do something about it. I think getting a monitor for home might help because I either slump to have my computer at eye level or bend my neck far down and neither is a good option.

Yeeeeeep I’ve also been seeing a Chiro (found a new one here this semester, I did not like the last one I saw here). First week back after Christmas I was in so much pain that I couldn’t concentrate in class :dead:
I need to start going to a Chiro.
We're not allowed to touch :eek:
Omg that is ridiculous. I literally can't imagine taking a gross anatomy practical without being allowed to touch things!! It is how I orient myself. Idk why they wouldn't allow it. Some of our very delicate structures may say don't touch or don't pull but that might just be one or two in 40.

Omg that is ridiculous. I literally can't imagine taking a gross anatomy practical without being allowed to touch things!! It is how I orient myself. Idk why they wouldn't allow it. Some of our very delicate structures may say don't touch or don't pull but that might just be one or two in 40.
You practice orienting yourself in lab without touching things. People have knocked pins before and put them back in the wrong structure and didn’t tell anyone. Not being able to touch the specimens is so it’s fair to everyone because you know nothing has moved.

Reactions: 3 users
You practice orienting yourself in lab without touching things. People have knocked pins before and put them back in the wrong structure and didn’t tell anyone. Not being able to touch the specimens is so it’s fair to everyone because you know nothing has moved.
Our professors don't use pins. They tag things so they literally can't be moved. Touching the specimens is not disadvantageous to anyone for us :shrug: and it's encouraged

We aren't allowed to move microscopes besides focusing, but that makes sense

What is this sorcery
Well I probably exaggerated, of course they could be moved if you intentionally tried to rip them off. But it would take some strength and no one has done that.

Idk how to explain it and it's obvious I haven't taken a pic during an exam. hmm lemme think about how to describe this...
They tie string around or in the structure and have little metal thing on the end of the string with a number. Unless it is on a very tiny nerve or something, we are basically free to move things around as much as we please.

Reactions: 4 users
Well I probably exaggerated, of course they could be moved if you intentionally tried to rip them off. But it would take some strength and no one has done that.

Idk how to explain it and it's obvious I haven't taken a pic during an exam. hmm lemme think about how to describe this...
They tie string around or in the structure and have little metal thing on the end of the string with a number. Unless it is on a very tiny nerve or something, we are basically free to move things around as much as we please.

Hmm. Guess it just shows it works either way.

I got to do a digital rectal exam on a dog with a perineal hernia tonight in the ICU. :claps: We talked about them in anatomy this quarter, so I even knew what it was and could picture exactly what in the body was occurring (which made the rectal exam so much more interesting). It's so fantastic to actually understand the clinicians when they are discussing a case.

I love learning things, and love when the things we learn actually show up and are relevant.

Reactions: 6 users
Hmm. Guess it just shows it works either way.
Meh, I really think they should allow touching

An important part of vet med is using your sense of touch and 3D visualization, but that's just me

Our anatomy tests also do not allow touching. It was really frustrating when say I couldn’t tell if a nerve was the dorsal vagal trunk or the ventral because I couldn’t see the other one. It’s really blows sometimes, but I’ve gotten used to it.

Meh, I really think they should allow touching

An important part of vet med is using your sense of touch and 3D visualization, but that's just me

Sure. I get that. But comparing the 3D touch learning on a dissected cadaver isn't really comparable to what a real animal feels like (inside or out). After all, our school graduates 130+ vets every year that are competent without being able to move a specimen for anatomy tests.

Sure. I get that. But comparing the 3D touch learning on a dissected cadaver isn't really comparable to what a real animal feels like (inside or out). After all, our school graduates 130+ vets every year that are competent without being able to move a specimen for anatomy tests.
I never said it was?
I never insinuated your school doesn't graduate competent vets? Idk why you are taking this personally but ok.

I never said it was?
I never insinuated your school doesn't graduate competent vets? Idk why you are taking this personally but ok.

Maybe I'm reading the previous posts wrong.

It just was reading to me that you were basically saying that being unable to touch specimens on a test is not a good way to teach/test/learn. That's why I said, "Guess it shows it works both ways," cause testing either way does work.

The you said how a lot of vet med is learning touch and visualization, and that touching on the test should be allowed. Hence my response that touching a cadaver doesn't necessarily compare to touching an animal.

Why wouldn't I take it personally when (to me) your responses are putting down my school?

Maybe I'm reading the previous posts wrong.

It just was reading to me that you were basically saying that being unable to touch specimens on a test is not a good way to teach/test/learn. That's why I said, "Guess it shows it works both ways," cause testing either way does work.

The you said how a lot of vet med is learning touch and visualization, and that touching on the test should be allowed. Hence my response that touching a cadaver doesn't necessarily compare to touching an animal.

Why wouldn't I take it personally when (to me) your responses are putting down my school?
Yeah I think you aren't interpreting what I meant to say.

I think it is unfair of professors to tag things and not allow you to move them. My undergrad profs allowed us to as do my vet school profs. I can't imagine a logical reason for not allowing it as I feel like it would just be a detriment to students who are more hands on learners and/or are benefitted by viewing things from different angles. So I guess I would agree with it not being a good way to test people, though I doubt it hinders your learning. During anatomy lab, we are allowed to move things around, view things from different angles, etc. Not sure why they would just all of a sudden not want you to during an exam. I just don't see the logic.

Most of the time in vet med, we aren't expected to just look at our patients and know what is wrong. Though I also understand vet school is not translational to what vets do in their jobs. Clearly a cadaver feels and looks nothing like a live animal.

Basically TLDR I don't think its fair they don't allow you to move things and I wouldn't like it that way but I don't see it negatively affecting learning

We occasionally had fresh specimens on our anatomy exams that we were mostly allowed to touch. That's not that relevant except for the part where I always got blood all over my exam thanks to who I am as a person

Reactions: 2 users
We get to move touch things on our anatomy exams unless its something like a tiny nerve or vessel...some of those tags touching and moving around tissue is the only way to figure out what's tagged. I could see it working either way but I would be curious to compare if some of our anatomy questions would ever come up at schools you aren't allowed to touch :thinking:

Yeah I think you aren't interpreting what I meant to say.

I think it is unfair of professors to tag things and not allow you to move them. My undergrad profs allowed us to as do my vet school profs. I can't imagine a logical reason for not allowing it as I feel like it would just be a detriment to students who are more hands on learners and/or are benefitted by viewing things from different angles. So I guess I would agree with it not being a good way to test people, though I doubt it hinders your learning. During anatomy lab, we are allowed to move things around, view things from different angles, etc. Not sure why they would just all of a sudden not want you to during an exam. I just don't see the logic.

Most of the time in vet med, we aren't expected to just look at our patients and know what is wrong. Though I also understand vet school is not translational to what vets do in their jobs. Clearly a cadaver feels and looks nothing like a live animal.

Basically TLDR I don't think its fair they don't allow you to move things and I wouldn't like it that way but I don't see it negatively affecting learning

I guess we're interpreting the purpose of anatomy lab differently then. For our school, all of first year is just getting acquainted with normal, including anatomy. It's a memorization fest from beginning to end. I even took it twice due to my repeat and anatomy was straight up my worst subject both times. The thing is, they have to get 130 people through 40 stations in 3 hours with how we do our exams, and we only have 2 exams a quarter. So I honestly can't see how we could let people touch the specimens and get the practical done in 40 minutes (with 20 minutes to get back to computers and type in answers).

We did have 1 prof that did 10 you pin it questions (between 2 specimens) and 1 arrow question with a secondary applied question to the arrow question. So there wasn't time to do more than 10 you pin its. Is that enough questions to adequately test all of the anatomy of 4 weeks? Depends on who you talked to. Our anatomy staff didn't like those questions because not everyone is tested on the same questions. So that's arguably not fair.

To be honest, I think it's terribly unfair for us to do multiple choice tests. My undergrad did almost all essays, which I was pretty good at. Frankly, the way we do our testing overall is unfair for people like me who don't test well to begin with.

But life isn't fair, so you gotta adapt.

Edit: realized that I didn't address the "we won't be expected to just look at an animal and know what's wrong". Very true! We also won't be able to move around their insides the same way we do in anatomy, if at all. We also won't have the isolated tracts or hearts or any of that. So anatomy doesn't really lend itself (at least in our curriculum) to translating to medicine directly. It's just purely so we learn the structures.

Last edited:
I could see it working either way but I would be curious to compare if some of our anatomy questions would ever come up at schools you aren't allowed to touch :thinking:

Like what? I'm genuinely curious cause we've got an amazingly creative anatomy team.