Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I kind of think that at this point, the convo isn't going anywhere. It seems we are happy with our system, and y'all are happy with yours

Which is why I said is my bad that my words are being interpreted that way when I replied to Caiter. I have said that both are equal multiple times at this point.

I didn't mean to infer any of the bulletted and you're welcome to show me where I made those inferences specifically so I can clarify what I meant. I am honestly confused on where I did.

Like I have said multiple times, my only problem with last night's conversation is where I thought you were saying our exams are 1) inferior and 2) unfair.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly at this point I feel like this conversation just needs to be dropped, because it's not going anywhere productive. Both testing styles are valid. Neither one is better than the other. Anatomy is a PITA, no matter where you are. Except maybe for Davis, and their multiple choice anatomy practicals :p

Before anyone yells at me, I'M KIDDING
Mostly...
I'm definitely kidding please don't yell at me lol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly at this point I feel like this conversation just needs to be dropped, because it's not going anywhere productive. Both testing styles are valid. Neither one is better than the other. Anatomy is a PITA, no matter where you are. Except maybe for Davis, and their multiple choice anatomy practicals :p

Mostly...
No kidding here, that multiple choice stuff is total BS ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I say we start some team testing. Everyone does a group of four and you take the test together! After all, you don't work in isolation in a vet clinic, right?

Reactions: 3 users
DUBZ SAID IT NOT ME, YELL AT DUBZ

But also I'm still floored they have this and jelly lol
Pffft coop and bear will never see this anyway :ninja:

And I also would and have said it to their faces

I'd like to see them try to yell at me

Hehehe

Reactions: 1 users
I say we start some team testing. Everyone does a group of four and you take the test together! After all, you don't work in isolation in a vet clinic, right?
Davis does some group exams too...

This may be an oversimplification but I don't care :-D

(this is gonna be a loooooong af post since I haven't posted here in ages and feel like rambling rather than studying, lol)

I just had my first comparative anatomy exam of the semester yesterday (was supposed to be thursday but we had an ice day lol, yay extra study time). So far this anatomy class is waaaaaay more chill than last semester (here, we have the major dog/cat based Gross Anatomy in our first semester, then Comparative which focuses on large animals and is more of the species-specific structures and clinical relevance, rather than going deep into the details of every foramina and all that). Like CDO said, we aren't allowed to touch, but I think the anatomy team is pretty good about making the pinned/tagged/wired structures as clearly visible in orientation as possible. While it would be nice sometimes to touch specimens, I can understand why it's not allowed, and tbh I've rarely felt the urge to due to the clear labeling (I think there were rare occasions when a specimen/model would say OK to touch, usually when it was asking to identify a bone and which side it was from). Anyway, although I know I missed a few things, I feel really good about that test compared to our anatomy exams last semester! Not having to worry about remembering the stupid muscle attachments feels SOOO GOOD. I actually love anatomy as a subject of study, it just sucks when there's so much detailed material to regurgitate, so I'm finding this class more enjoyable than the first anatomy.

Unfortunately, our next exam coming up is in phys 3 on monday (about gut physio, specifically) and ugghhh that class is such a drag. The gut material is very biochem-esque, with a lot of neuro stuff too (parasymp, preganglionic, postganglionic, what?) and with the way the prof does his notes, I. cannot. ever. get myself to study this material. His PDFs are extremely detailed, and at 10-20 pages each there's so much dry material to go through and figure out what to focus on for the exam. We do have weekly quizzes, so I've had to do some semblance of keeping up, but so far I've consistently gotten around 75 on each quiz :laugh: makes me feel a little dumb, since a very large portion of the class has managed to keep 90s and even over 100...but hopefully I can bring my grade up with future exams over different subjects :shrug:

Most of our lecture courses use scantron-based paper exams with maybe the occasional written question, but this prof hates MC questions and uses mostly long-format questions in which you must complete the paragraph by circling choices or filling in blanks. I agree with the people who said they need a paper exam so they can mark out answers, underline things, jot notes/diagrams, etc.--I'm a hardcore computer user in all other aspects of school, I rarely if ever crack open physical textbooks or handwrite notes, but I definitely prefer having a hard-copy exam for those reasons, and don't think I would enjoy computer-based testing for everything. BUT get this, this prof made an announcement to the class that he doesn't "need" or want students to make additional markings/notes of any kind on the quizzes. NO crossing out answer choices, NO making extra notes/diagrams in the margins, etc. WTF. i was floored when he said that. I can understand wanting people to be reasonably neat for ease/clarity of grading, but it should be obvious that margin-notes and crossing-out etc. are just part of some students' exam process, including myself--not some kind of note or show-off for the grader. Scratch paper is not provided for the quizzes, idk if it will be for the exam. Just another reason to be annoyed with that class ig. I've honestly been sleeping in and attending those Phys III lectures less and less, since I zone out and thus don't get anything beneficial out of it...

So...random rambling, but reading some people's posts talking about a vet school level straight biochem course/course segment makes me infinitely grateful that my physio courses weren't set up that way, lmao. I'd also like to thank my vet tech education for including a Parasitology course, because now I feel like I can kinda put my parasit course on the back burner. Here we have 2 (or 3??) parasit courses in the core curriculum, and so far in Parasit I the material we've covered is nearly identical to the course I took in undergrad. So at this point, it's more of a refresher course for me rather than having to learn all of these nematodes' names and information from scratch, and I still have all my old notes/study charts. I feel bad about it since I like parasitology, but I've been sleeping in for some of those lectures as well...because the one thing I like less about this semester compared to last semester is the fact that we actually have 8ams now when we used to start most days at 9, and I have not been adjusting well :laugh:

my overall feeling on vet school so far is...challenging, but honestly not nearly as bad as I feared based on descriptions! But, I think a lot of that is due to me being maybe-kinda-sorta used to this type of schedule from my last degree program (plus having a little bit of background in things like anatomy, parasitology, medical terminology, etc.) Being a jaded 26 year old who's been going through school for a long time instead of a fresh-outta-undergrad 22-23 y/o might also have something to do with it though, haha.
While the classes are obviously higher level in difficulty and quantity of info, I feel like I'm overall used to the schoolwork balance so that *MOST OF THE TIME*, it doesn't feel too overwhelming (except when it's like midterm time and there's 3 giant major exams coming in rapid fire...) I definitely would have been eaten alive if I'd gone straight from regular undergrad to this, and I've had to switch my studying style from cramming to reviewing a little bit each day. Some of my classmates obsess about total study time, or freak out about certain lower-credit-hour classes when they could instead be focusing their efforts more strategically...while I of course aim for a good grade, in the end I'm ok with just passing and focus a lot on obtaining learning experiences outside of class--I go to as many relevant wet labs as I can, and I try to make time to volunteer at the kitten shelter at least once a month. Will that bite me in the ass later, I don't know, but I don't vibe with putting myself through extra stress and turning down opportunities just to maybe make an A instead of a B or whatever. I take time to chill out on saturdays and I have never felt like I don't have time to care for my dog and guinea pigs (that being said, I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of my school which cuts out a lot of commuting/petcare issues, and obtaining a new dog would be a different story...). I was lucky, with my final exam scores I managed to pull off straight Bs in my core courses last semester (courses which at one point I thought I was on track for straight Cs in, lol). So I'm NOT a top student by any means, but I'm doing ok! honestly slightly bitter that a full semester of professional school which took me 3 tries to get into was still 10x more doable than Physics and Ochem which totally haven't helped me!

if you read this whole thing you get a :thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users
Which is why I said is my bad that my words are being interpreted that way when I replied to Caiter. I have said that both are equal multiple times at this point.

I didn't mean to infer any of the bulletted and you're welcome to show me where I made those inferences specifically so I can clarify what I meant. I am honestly confused on where I did.

Like I have said multiple times, my only problem with last night's conversation is where I thought you were saying our exams are 1) inferior and 2) unfair.
I'm sorry. I said people on this thread have implied the bulleted, by no means you exclusively

Mostly...
Wait are you kidding or serious? I wish!!!! MC practicals would be amazing

Are you ****ting me lol
Lol I think it's only a small percentage of the grade. They take it individually first too.

Anyway they also have two exams a week basically all the time and sometimes take an exam like two days after learning the material in class so it's not all sunshine and roses. I just like to give them a little bit of **** ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I think it's only a small percentage of the grade. They take it individually first too.

Anyway they also have two exams a week basically all the time and sometimes take an exam like two days after learning the material in class so it's not all sunshine and roses. I just like to give them a little bit of **** ;)
We have had two exams a week almost every week of 3rd year, and did for a good chunk of second year too. So that's a moot point :p

We have had two exams a week almost every week of 3rd year, and did for a good chunk of second year too. So that's a moot point :p
Ew
We usually have a block of time in the middle of the semester where it's 1-2 a week, but it's not the whole semester. Actually I feel like we could have had a couple more last semester. Having cardio based on one midterm and the final was brutal.

Ew
We usually have a block of time in the middle of the semester where it's 1-2 a week, but it's not the whole semester. Actually I feel like we could have had a couple more last semester. Having cardio based on one midterm and the final was brutal.
First year was great and we had two week exam blocks, then usually two to three weeks no exams and repeat. Second year first semester we only had like two weeks without exams. Spring semester was a little better. Fall 3rd year was all the exams. This semester we're having 5 exams in a three week time period, and then nothing for two weeks. You couldn't have spaced out those exams a little better??!?!?!

First year was great and we had two week exam blocks, then usually two to three weeks no exams and repeat. Second year first semester we only had like two weeks without exams. Spring semester was a little better. Fall 3rd year was all the exams. This semester we're having 5 exams in a three week time period, and then nothing for two weeks. You couldn't have spaced out those exams a little better??!?!?!
I'm just glad we missed the new midterm week schedule. The idea is all midterms happen in one week in the middle of the semester, structured like finals week. Except that doesn't work for some classes so instead they have a week with like 4-5 exams and exams sprinkled throughout the semester.

Nobody liked my idea to do two midterm weeks instead I guess.

I'm particularly salty about this right now cause in theory third year they're suppose to give us a week between when material ends and the exams. We finished the therio material for Monday's exam on Wednesday, so really it should be Friday instead of Monday (they only do Monday and Friday tests third year). Onco this coming Friday we're finishing the material Wednesday, which will probably really be Thursday cause we're behind. So really we shouldn't be having all these exams squished together and I'm annoyed :laugh:

I'm just glad we missed the new midterm week schedule. The idea is all midterms happen in one week in the middle of the semester, structured like finals week. Except that doesn't work for some classes so instead they have a week with like 4-5 exams and exams sprinkled throughout the semester.

Nobody liked my idea to do two midterm weeks instead I guess.
Eww, that's weird. I figured when they made a midterm week they had gotten rid of any other exams in the class. We usually have two exams and then a final in a class, except for a handful with only one before or a few with three before.

Eww, that's weird. I figured when they made a midterm week they had gotten rid of any other exams in the class. We usually have two exams and then a final in a class, except for a handful with only one before or a few with three before.
That was the idea but the professors with higher credit classes didn't like the idea of only having two exams (which is why I suggested two midterms but alas).

I'm particularly salty about this right now cause in theory third year they're suppose to give us a week between when material ends and the exams. We finished the therio material for Monday's exam on Wednesday, so really it should be Friday instead of Monday (they only do Monday and Friday tests third year). Onco this coming Friday we're finishing the material Wednesday, which will probably really be Thursday cause we're behind. So really we shouldn't be having all these exams squished together and I'm annoyed :laugh:
Yeah we generally have at least a week in between, which is good because I'm generally a week behind at least

@Devastating :)

You’re welcome to go back to posts from me in 2018 and I said the exact same things. Don’t give up the faith in phys 3, it’s difficult, but you just have to try to push through! Plus you’re done with that professor super soon! Like that’s fantastic- we had him for the entire semester + half of phys 2. there’s a reason that my gpa is ****.

I’m glad that things are going well for you!

Meanwhile I think I have one week between now and the end of the semester where we don't have an exam

And there's still a chance there could be an exam that week, because we have a class that's only half a semester that doesn't start until after spring break and they haven't shared the course/syllabus with us yet (and probably won't until around spring break)

This quarter we have an exam every Monday for a class where most of the material is covered Friday afternoon. It's... fun.
In two of our classes we have a quiz every week

So basically I have at a minimum an exam and two quizzes per week. Minimum.

@Devastating :)

You’re welcome to go back to posts from me in 2018 and I said the exact same things. Don’t give up the faith in phys 3, it’s difficult, but you just have to try to push through! Plus you’re done with that professor super soon! Like that’s fantastic- we had him for the entire semester + half of phys 2. there’s a reason that my gpa is ****.

I’m glad that things are going well for you!
Hahaha I've heard many things about that prof. I mean he's not a bad person, but siiiigh, that teaching style. I definitely wouldn't have managed to scrape a B in phys 2 if it was like this! So ready to be done with gut phys soon and getting into the more fun material, but I'm also not looking forward to the full month of renal phys lectures scheduled for the last leg of the semester :laugh:

Hahaha I've heard many things about that prof. I mean he's not a bad person, but siiiigh, that teaching style. I definitely wouldn't have managed to scrape a B in phys 2 if it was like this! So ready to be done with gut phys soon and getting into the more fun material, but I'm also not looking forward to the full month of renal phys lectures scheduled for the last leg of the semester :laugh:
Omg but the new renal phys prof (I try to avoid saying names on SDN) is amaaaaaazing. He’ll come teach a couple lectures in immunology/ pathology, teaches the clin path course next fall. @JaynaAli did you hear that Dr. M is teaching renal phys now? And he’s the IOR for the renal system’s course!

It looks like we'll generally have 1 exam per week from now on, with the exception of pathology which falls during the same weeks as parasit. Technically 3 exams during those weeks, since parasit's are separated into 2 parts between lecture and lab period? But the week after spring break will have 2 tests for phys 3 and anatomy, oy. I don't know if the instructors for the next sections of phys 3 will continue the weekly quizzes.

I had not heard that. I talked to that person on the phone about a month ago but he didn't mention it. He was IOR for renal back in 2014 too, I'm pretty sure.

It looks like we'll generally have 1 exam per week from now on, with the exception of pathology which falls during the same weeks as parasit. Technically 3 exams during those weeks, since parasit's are separated into 2 parts between lecture and lab period? But the week after spring break will have 2 tests for phys 3 and anatomy, oy. I don't know if the instructors for the next sections of phys 3 will continue the weekly quizzes.
I don't think so- I didn't see it on the syllabus (I keep UTD because I'm nosy) They completely restuctured comparative anatomy so i'm glad it's better! It was a total **** show last year.

We had our parasit exams on the same day, and those were exhaustinggggg.

Hang in there!!

We had our parasit exams on the same day, and those were exhaustinggggg.

Hang in there!!
Luckily, this year the lecture/lab portions are on different days! Parasit lecture exams on monday, then the lab portion during our lab period on tuesday. And then Gen path on friday lol.

random, but is anyone here attending the ZEW wetlab at TAMU in a couple weeks? I didn't get into all of my first-choice labs, but still excited.

Luckily, this year the lecture/lab portions are on different days! Parasit lecture exams on monday, then the lab portion during our lab period on tuesday. And then Gen path on friday lol.

random, but is anyone here attending the ZEW wetlab at TAMU in a couple weeks? I didn't get into all of my first-choice labs, but still excited.
I feel like @Lupin21 may have mentioned something about going to ZEW. I am probably wrong though

I wish but we're required to attend the Music City vet conference that weekend :yeahright:

Mostly...
No kidding here, that multiple choice stuff is total BS ;)
Pffft coop and bear will never see this anyway :ninja:

And I also would and have said it to their faces

I'd like to see them try to yell at me

Hehehe
:mad::rage::punch:

Unfortunately going forward they are revising the anatomy policy and will now be only 50% multiple choice. I love our anatomy program, it is very clinically oriented and I feel I learned what I need to know very well and with minimal stress. Which is good because the rest of the program is plenty stressful thank you very much.

Dubz when I see you next there will be yelling, just to prove I would

Are you ****ting me lol
It's a vast oversimplification but yes a PORTION of SOME (VERY RARE) exam are group oriented. It's not much and is after our individual portion of the same exam. Supposedly it help you retain the information better when you take the same exam again but with a small group so you can in depth discuss the answers and why this one is right and how this particular wording is technically wrong... I'm not bitter I swear.

It's a vast oversimplification but yes a PORTION of SOME (VERY RARE) exam are group oriented. It's not much and is after our individual portion of the same exam. Supposedly it help you retain the information better when you take the same exam again but with a small group so you can in depth discuss the answers and why this one is right and how this particular wording is technically wrong... I'm not bitter I swear.
So is this just like a redo thing?

We did that too in path. Was worth only like 0.5% extra credit, but was to help solidify and revisit the material.

Still think MC anatomy exams are crap though :p

So is this just like a redo thing?

We did that too in path. Was worth only like 0.5% extra credit, but was to help solidify and revisit the material.

Still think MC anatomy exams are crap though :p
Yeah it's worth way less than individual portion of the exam and yes exactly, it's to cement the information.

Also you can take your non-MC exam and be jelly all you want :p

:mad::rage::punch:

Unfortunately going forward they are revising the anatomy policy and will now be only 50% multiple choice. I love our anatomy program, it is very clinically oriented and I feel I learned what I need to know very well and with minimal stress. Which is good because the rest of the program is plenty stressful thank you very much.

Dubz when I see you next there will be yelling, just to prove I would
:eek: I've been found out! :ninja:

We did something similar for gross and microanatomy, immediately after the regular exam we would take it again with our lab group and have to come to an agreement on our answers. It didn't matter how your group actually did (which lead to some instances of "**** it, I'm just gonna circle B since we can't agree on this one"), but as long as you did it you got 5 points of extra credit on your individual test score. So not a whole lot, but it was nice, and we got to look at the key after turning in the group exam so you knew how you did right away.

Reactions: 2 users
@Miranda Senft @staff_wielder @RedLauren Haven't heard form any of you in a while. Hope it's all going well!
05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
I'm only slightly bitter that I missed half a point on my neuro midterm for a nomenclature issue that involved not specifically saying what my answer was. I got it correct but didn't write one word that would have specified what I was talking about, even though the question was worded in a way that implied the answer would fit under that category if that vagueness makes any sense. She wants us to get used to being super specific about everything, e.g. not just saying "I need some dex" since that could be misinterpreted. It's a great lesson, but so frustrating!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm only slightly bitter that I missed half a point on my neuro midterm for a nomenclature issue that involved not specifically saying what my answer was. I got it correct but didn't write one word that would have specified what I was talking about, even though the question was worded in a way that implied the answer would fit under that category if that vagueness makes any sense. She wants us to get used to being super specific about everything, e.g. not just saying "I need some dex" since that could be misinterpreted. It's a great lesson, but so frustrating!!!!
I feel. Missed a point for not putting palmar pouch of the "fetlock"

Reactions: 1 users