Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiosity: past NAVLE takers, what % were you getting on the VetPrep practice tests before you wrote your NAVLE?

I'm planning to take one of the ICVA tests at the end of the month, but I'm curious in the meantime to know where most people got themselves before sitting.

Members don't see this ad.

In other news, that bar on the front page where they tell you your completion compared to the average is unnecessary. I already know I'm way behind, VetPrep, you don't need to tell me. :laugh:

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
In other news, that bar on the front page where they tell you your completion compared to the average is unnecessary. I already know I'm way behind, VetPrep, you don't need to tell me. :laugh:
I don't know how they generate that number and it's ridiculous lol. I remember a lot of friends panicking about it constantly. I used zuku, which has something similar but seemed to progress at a more normal pace. I always wondered if it maybe got thrown off by people retaking it from the previous NAVLE session (and maybe their percentages never reset when they got extended time from the study thing) and maybe some Rossies on a different graduation schedule who purchased it early and have been occasionally plugging at it before taking it this testing session.

FWIW I think the percentages are made up and don't matter. Do a lot of practice tests with timing accurate to the testing environment, because that's most helpful imo. But I knew people on both testing platforms who did sub 10% and passed and people who did >80% who didn't. Unfortunately I think a lot of it comes down to how good of a test taker you are more than anything. The people I knew who failed were wicked smart but tended to be highly anxious on exams (especially this one!) and overthink the answers. They would give answers that were much more practical to real life (aka what you would probably actually end up doing) but not the one the testing service was looking for you to plug in for them.

Also, if you need any testing accommodations whatsoever, work on getting them arranged now. You won't magically not need them for NAVLE and they can be fussy about getting them arranged, so the process to get them set up can take a little while to get rolling.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity: past NAVLE takers, what % were you getting on the VetPrep practice tests before you wrote your NAVLE?

I'm planning to take one of the ICVA tests at the end of the month, but I'm curious in the meantime to know where most people got themselves before sitting.
I was in the upper 60s to low 70s iirc

Reactions: 1 user

I think I was averaging 70s but I was taking them in small bursts (like 10 questions at a time... maybe less if I was allowed) because reading a bunch of answer explanations in a row is tiring.

I took two ICVA practice tests and they were pretty close to my actual score. I actually did a little better than projected but I chalk that up to the fact that I still had 30 days of studying left after the second one.

I took two ICVA practice tests and they were pretty close to my actual score. I actually did a little better than projected but I chalk that up to the fact that I still had 30 days of studying left after the second one.
Did you do the regular ICVA tests or one with the "extensive review" after that's an additional like $10? My friend took one of the ICVA regular ones and it gave her a range of 400-491 and "passing" was 425 so not super helpful imo. Just trying to spend my money wisely

Did you do the regular ICVA tests or one with the "extensive review" after that's an additional like $10? My friend took one of the ICVA regular ones and it gave her a range of 400-491 and "passing" was 425 so not super helpful imo. Just trying to spend my money wisely

I don't think "extensive review" was an option when I took them. I still found them helpful.

A range of 400-491 is frustrating but I don't think it's actually unhelpful. It still does the job of predicting how you'd fare. People can and do fail by very small margins.

Also when you get your results for the real thing they give your score but they also tell you the standard error and give you a range based on that. Basically a range of how they expect you could have scored given a different set of questions on the same day or something. Not too dissimilar from the range the practice test gives you.

I think it's worth the money either way but for only 10 bucks more why not try the extensive review. More important I would say is to make sure you take it early enough that you have time to adjust your studying based on the results.

Reactions: 4 users
OUr school paid for an extensive review and it gives all the answers (not explanations) and i think that is at least worth it.

Need a pep talk here. I just took the practice ICVA test (extensive review) and got a super borderline score (like passing is 425, my range was 346-438). I went back and calculated 61%. I'm super nervous, NAVLE is 58 days away and I don't have the easiest rotations coming up. I'm really worried I won't pass :(

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Need a pep talk here. I just took the practice ICVA test (extensive review) and got a super borderline score (like passing is 425, my range was 346-438). I went back and calculated 61%. I'm super nervous, NAVLE is 58 days away and I don't have the easiest rotations coming up. I'm really worried I won't pass :(
I know it can be super hard to study especially on busy rotations and navle is stressful already! I haven't taken an icva yet because I havent had time but I'll share what different study things I've been doing.
Idk which one you took but if you know what ones you got wrong I would start with those topics or topics you feel weaker in. So I try really hard no matter how tired I am to watch a vetprep lecture a day or read a power page. If I fall behind then I do 2 or 3 the following day. If I dont do those things I try to read one topic thing on merck or go through a lecture from didactics on a specific topic. That way I am doing a little bit of studying everyday even if I'm exhausted. Or if you find you really just cant make those things happen then just during the day when I'm on rotation when I'm writing discharges I use blackwell's&eclinpath to review the topics ie differentials for elevated bilirubin.

I would try really hard to study for the next ~30days and then take another icva and see how it's going. It also may not necessarily be a knowledge thing and more a test taking thing and just getting used to the format and what answers they really want. I believe in you!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar range at a similar time till my test. I focused on high value information based on percentage of the test it would take up. I knew dog and exotics stuff pretty well, so I didn't touch it for the rest of my studying. I focused on cats, horses, cows, and pigs in proportion to their amount on the test. I didn't touch chickens at all lol. I did only did test questions and read the merck entry if I had no clue what it was talking about. I ended up with a score in the 450s. Not great but good enough to get my license and a job.

• Love
@MOOSEygoosey How did you feel about the practice test at the time? Where did you score poorly? Where did you feel least confident? I agree with focusing on high yield things and/or where you didn’t do well. There’s only so much you can do - all you need to do is pass! My final score for the real NAVLE was barely passing IIRC. I was a decent student too. A big part of it is learning to read the questions and answer with what they’re looking for.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
@MOOSEygoosey How did you feel about the practice test at the time? Where did you score poorly? Where did you feel least confident? I agree with focusing on high yield things and/or where you didn’t do well. There’s only so much you can do - all you need to do is pass! My final score for the real NAVLE was barely passing IIRC. I was a decent student too. A big part of it is learning to read the questions and answer with what they’re looking for.
During the test I felt like I was doing decent, I marked about the same amount of questions that I got wrong (but those weren't necessarily the questions I got wrong). I felt most confident with SA diagnosing based on CS and BW. Cows and pigs were definitely a weak spot. But what sucks is canine questions I got lower than average because I can diagnose things well but knowing diagnostic tests and treatments is my weak spot. It's like I know pieces of the puzzle but can't put it together completely :/ Also got lower than average at clinical practice. So basically the 2 highest percentages I got lower than average. At this point, I'm buckling down on canine questions, bovine, and porcine questions.
I also need to not let my brain pigeonhole itself because it does that a lot.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the pep talk! <3

• Love
I'm out on my preceptor which is 4 weeks in a privately owned GP mixed practice. We've euthanized 17+ pets in basically the last 3 days. I am a person who is for euthanasia in the right setting-and all of these pets it was the right decision, but I'm also an empathetic crier. If they're crying so am I-I cant seem help it. If the person isn't crying or it's an owner not present euthanasia I'm fine. However, I am just emotionally exhausted right now. Tips from others who cry with euthanasia? Maybe make it less emotionally draining or to cry less?

• Care
I think clients expect you to be sad too, so crying isn't a bad thing. You just have to be able to let it go and not carry it with you all day, and that's something that just happens over time. For me, I wash my hands after every euth appointment - it's like washing off the sadness, letting it go, and getting ready for the next thing. The physical act somehow helps me mentally prepare.

Tips from others who cry with euthanasia? Maybe make it less emotionally draining or to cry less?
I am a hard core sympathy crier. I cried with the owner last week for my suspect CCD/brain tumor patient.

I handle euthanasias that get me by really letting it out before/after the actual case. In my most recent case, I cried at home on my husband the night after I talked to the owner and decided on euthanasia. Then that night after the euthanasia, my husband and I watched Up and I absolutely lost it when Ellie dies. If I'm able to get the tears out hard, it's cathartic for me. I physically get the emotions out and it's like I let the case go. I definitely was really tired and drained the day after. So I loaded up on coffee and snuggles with my girls. But even now, a week later, the memories are a little fuzzy for that day in general; focus on the other priorities in my life so help the hard cases fade away.

If I'm able to get the tears out hard, it's cathartic for me.
^Seconding this. If I go home overwhelming sad, I find videos or TV shows that are tear-jerkers so that I can cry. I have cried for a few euths, but I often find myself compartmentalizing and not fully processing my feelings.

^Seconding this. If I go home overwhelming sad, I find videos or TV shows that are tear-jerkers so that I can cry. I have cried for a few euths, but I often find myself compartmentalizing and not fully processing my feelings.
I definitely own Hachi: A Dog's Tale expressly for this purpose.

oh god even reading the synopsis on wikipedia makes me tear up a little. oof.

Gotten some pretty cool emergency experience not in an ER setting which has been great because regular ER stresses me out. IDK what could possibly be more emergent though than a dog having its jugular ripped out in a dog fight.:oops: Dog is alive and on fluids...I have no words other than wow...

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Gotten some pretty cool emergency experience not in an ER setting which has been great because regular ER stresses me out. IDK what could possibly be more emergent though than a dog having its jugular ripped out in a dog fight.:oops: Dog is alive and on fluids...I have no words other than wow...
My foster pup (never ended up working with my household of cats because, terrier, sigh) was an owner surrender for BDLD and had his left jugular lacerated and an eventually revealed partially torn off cricoid/thyroid cartilage in his neck.

Presented with a PCV of 14 to the GP I worked at the time. Fluids, time, antibiotics and an eventual surgery to reattach his breathing bits and he did great!

Snapchat-1820622248.jpg

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
My foster pup (never ended up working with my household of cats because, terrier, sigh) was an owner surrender for BDLD and had his left jugular lacerated and an eventually revealed partially torn off cricoid/thyroid cartilage in his neck.

Presented with a PCV of 14 to the GP I worked at the time. Fluids, time, antibiotics and an eventual surgery to reattach his breathing bits and he did great!

View attachment 343586
I miss the popcorn boy so much.

My NAVLE is in 64 days.

When did I start studying? Today.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered buying the 6 month VetPrep....
wanna study for navle nov end 2021? I have zuku we can do ques together
I want to do vetprep too
want a dedicated study partner :)
we can do this together!

Not really a huge fan of my current external rotation. It has helped me confirm that the specialty I'm in isn't what I want to do with my life, and also has let me know that this hospital is one I will probably avoid come future job searches. On the plus side, the criticalists are dope and I enjoyed getting to hang around with them a bit on my off time.

Silver lining is the classmate on it with me is one I've always wanted to get closer to and living together for the past 2 weeks has turned us into besties which I'm very pleased about.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
A year ago when I made my schedule I may have grossly underestimated the amount of travel I stacked together...all at once...😅
Will see how I survive this next monthish😂
Keep on keepin on ~45% done with 4th year!

• Care
A year ago when I made my schedule I may have grossly underestimated the amount of travel I stacked together...all at once...😅
Will see how I survive this next monthish😂
Keep on keepin on ~45% done with 4th year!
I did this, too! What, externships in florida and michigan (and driving to each!) within a month isn't a great idea?

I don't have that energy anymore. :laugh:

• Wow
  • Care
I did this, too! What, externships in florida and michigan (and driving to each!) within a month isn't a great idea?

I don't have that energy anymore. :laugh:
Wow that's impressive. Not sure I could do that. Thats alot of driving at once! Thankfully my next trip someone else is driving and then I'm flying after that but I'll have more driving. I'll only have been home truly for 2 weeks out of 4 months by the time it's all done with the occasional weekend home. It'll be nice to be home for a bit after that-plus NAVLE will be done and I should have a job!

• Wow
Pathology is very cool and I like the topic. However, clin path involved sitting in a small lecture room for 7 hours a day and I thought I was going to die of boredom. By far the most miserable I have been during rotations this year.

So happy to be on medicine/ER starting Monday. I need some crazy back in my life.

• Care
Pathology is very cool and I like the topic. However, clin path involved sitting in a small lecture room for 7 hours a day and I thought I was going to die of boredom. By far the most miserable I have been during rotations this year.

So happy to be on medicine/ER starting Monday. I need some crazy back in my life.
Haha, I am just coming off soft tissue surgery and so glad to be going back to chill GP life :)

That’s too bad, I really love clin path in general and our pathology professors did a good job of keeping things interesting - as much as you can when it basically boils down to reading five million sets of blood work every day :laugh:

That kinda stinks! We had lectures during clin path, but definitely not 7 hours worth... we would have clin path lectures/labs in the morning then go back to the anatomical floor in the afternoon. Kinda feel like I didn't get enough clin path though, so I added on an extra rotation of it.
That being said though.... our path rotation was nuts and we ended up having almost 100 cases we were primary on.

That’s too bad, I really love clin path in general and our pathology professors did a good job of keeping things interesting - as much as you can when it basically boils down to reading five million sets of blood work every day :laugh:

That kinda stinks! We had lectures during clin path, but definitely not 7 hours worth... we would have clin path lectures/labs in the morning then go back to the anatomical floor in the afternoon. Kinda feel like I didn't get enough clin path though, so I added on an extra rotation of it.
That being said though.... our path rotation was nuts and we ended up having almost 100 cases we were primary on.
I loved the prof doing it, and I really like the topic. If I had been given a stack of bloodwork to work through during the day I would have been happy as a clam. It was just that everything was either formal lectures, working through some example cases as a full group, going over stuff on the 9 headed microscope as a full group, and a couple labs (which I enjoyed because I was doing things). It didn't help that I was with a very quiet group of people and had to muzzle myself pretty hard to avoid completely taking over every conversation. Not totally sure I succeeded on that end.

We do anatomic path for a week (which was so awesome), and then clin path the second week. I really wish they actually gave us some of the real bloodwork coming in to interpret. We don't get to do any real-time interpretation during the rotation.

Anyway, I did learn a lot and the review was good for me so my whining is over. It was just too much like pre-clinicals except because there was only 7 of us I couldn't skip or be on Facebook the whole time. :laugh:

I got to stick a needle into the pericardial sac of a real live patient today!!!! :claps: And then pump the removed blood back into the dog as an autotransfusion.

I freaking love ECC. :love: The criticalist at our school is also super awesome.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
:barf::barf::barf:Vetprep is no longer giving me a countdown, but is instead wishing me good luck :barf::barf::barf:
I'm 10 days away!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH :scared::barf:

I got to stick a needle into the pericardial sac of a real live patient today!!!! :claps: And then pump the removed blood back into the dog as an autotransfusion.

I freaking love ECC. :love: The criticalist at our school is also super awesome.
AMAZING!!!!!!! I placed a ucath on ER and it was definitely a highlight :D

Reactions: 6 users
Good luck 2022!!!! <3 take a great nap afterwards

Reactions: 7 users
I moved my navle up to today because I ended up having a free day on my rotation. It was fine. Not a pleasant experience but fine. We'll see what happens come January🙃
Goodluck to everyone else!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Good luck class of 2022 on the NAVLE! You will all do great!

Reactions: 6 users
This year I feel like I'm getting the whole medical textbook thrown at me. I swear some higher power does not want me to graduate between the cat bite, antibiotic reactions, allergic reactions to pigs of all things (thanks, state fair) and severe Crypto that tried to send me into renal failure for two weeks. Plz send help :lol:

And now I have the NAVLE to contend with. Yikes.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Made an error (I'll call it a medical error although it wasn't technically medical) yesterday which resulted in some minor injuries to a few patients and staff. We got extremely lucky, since it was a situation that in most situations would have resulted in a dead patient and potentially severe human injury.

Really grateful for the oppertunities we have had throughout school to discuss medical mistakes and how to handle them. If I hadn't talked with so many people about errors they have made and how they coped with them I think I would be a bit of a wreck right now. As it is, I think I've been able to accept my role in what happened and how to do things differently without being overly hard on myself.

I did have to sneak out of the clinic for a couple minutes to cry and pull myself together in the washroom (after everything was being handled), so there goes my goal of making it through fourth year without crying. I didn't get yelled at or told off by a single staff member which surprised me. In fact, a number of staff and classmates were checking in with me throughout the rest of the day to make sure I was mentally doing okay. Appreciated that people cared so much.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users