Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just remember nothing is permanent. I’m a lucky one my first is luckily one that lets me find myself and practice how I wish, but most aren’t. You can’t be afraid of change, but also to ask for what you want to build around your desires in a practice that may not start as you imagine. It all depends on you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just remember nothing is permanent. I’m a lucky one my first is luckily one that lets me find myself and practice how I wish, but most aren’t. You can’t be afraid of change, but also to ask for what you want to build around your desires in a practice that may not start as you imagine. It all depends on you.
There was a VIN poll a while back that concluded something like 40% of us leave our first job within the first year. Which is crazy, but also not, because I feel like as a new grad you don’t really know what is most important to you just yet, or what you really don’t want.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There was a VIN poll a while back that concluded something like 40% of us leave our first job within the first year. Which is crazy, but also not, because I feel like as a new grad you don’t really know what is most important to you just yet, or what you really don’t want.
Haven't left yet for only 2 reasons: I'd lose my maternity leave cause I wouldn't be at the new place for a year, and I'd lose at least a month of healthcare while pregnant. So leaving next fall.

• Care
I haven't started applying for jobs yet because my fiancé is still trying to nail down his plans for a job and we don't know where we're going to live because of that. To my employed friends, when would be the absolute latest I should apply if I want to start working in say July?

I haven't started applying for jobs yet because my fiancé is still trying to nail down his plans for a job and we don't know where we're going to live because of that. To my employed friends, when would be the absolute latest I should apply if I want to start working in say July?
Friends in previous years didn’t even find a job until feb or March and were still fine for starting in June. With how high the demand is for vets this year, you should be more than fine waiting a few months.
Once you do start negotiating a contract tho I highly recommend reaching out to total vet planning services (I worked with David). They helped look over my contract and David came up with a little blurb to send to my job (the recruiter since it’s corporate) and he got me an extra 10k that I didn’t know I wanted or needed 💀 I didn’t really know if I should be asking for anything when I scheduled an appt with them but David was like “well why not ask for more money because worst they say is no” and here we are 😂
They’re not lawyers but they do look over a lot of contracts a year so they have a good idea of what’s standard between them and what could be weird/tricky wording.

With the way the market is now, if you want to start in July, the absolute latest to start looking is probably mid June. A lot of your classmates will find stuff early on, but it’s an associates market right now so I wouldn’t feel too stressed about finding a job. Earlier is probably better if you’ve got a lot of wants and needs that aren’t flexible, but even back 6 years ago I had classmates who weren’t sure where they were going at graduation time and they were all employed by the end of summer.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m pretty sure @Trilt didn’t even start looking for a job until after graduation and started in September
August, but yeah. Started actually interviewing after graduation in May and took my job late July. Was lucky to have finances to be able to take some time off and relax.

August, but yeah. Started actually interviewing after graduation in May and took my job late July. Was lucky to have finances to be able to take some time off and relax.
Ah I was close 😂

But basically, you can still find a job real late and don’t have to find one RIGHTNOW😂😂😂

Reactions: 1 users
I started looking at the beginning of May (because I'm trash) and started working in mid-June. And I feel like places are even more desperate now than they were in 2020. Granted because of my situation I wasn't being too picky, so probably give yourself more time than that, but I wouldn't sweat waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I hope everyone managed to get some bit of the holidays and clinical year is going well. I know the VIRMP application deadline is nearing!

I wanted to put in a plug for any ER minded folk to consider a ER focused internship. The practice I work at has a one year speciality internship for new grads or post rotating internship. We also have a residency in ECC but that isn’t available to new grads but we have kept our interns for residency before. I am happy to chat further if anyone has questions. We can be found on the VIRMP website.

Hi guys!

I hope everyone managed to get some bit of the holidays and clinical year is going well. I know the VIRMP application deadline is nearing!

I wanted to put in a plug for any ER minded folk to consider a ER focused internship. The practice I work at has a one year speciality internship for new grads or post rotating internship. We also have a residency in ECC but that isn’t available to new grads but we have kept our interns for residency before. I am happy to chat further if anyone has questions. We can be found on the VIRMP website.

Am I reading correctly that the internship program has expanded from an average of one position/year to six available now?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Am I reading correctly that the internship program has expanded from an average of one position/year to six available now?
Hey Trilt,

Yes we have six slots for this coming year. We had previously been been doing one per year, this year we currently have two interns but on non traditional timeframe.

Hey Trilt,

Yes we have six slots for this coming year. We had previously been been doing one per year, this year we currently have two interns but on non traditional timeframe.
Do you feel like your clinic has the support staff and experienced vet numbers to support training six interns at once?

Just strikes me as a huge increase at a time where everyone is generally struggling to maintain staffing.

Do you feel like your clinic has the support staff and experienced vet numbers to support training six interns at once?

Just strikes me as a huge increase at a time where everyone is generally struggling to maintain staffing.
Hey Trilt,

Great question. I think we do have enough back up. We have 4 criticalists, 6 associates and currently 2 residents. We have in the past been more resident heavy with as many as 6 residents ( 1-3/ year). We had intended to have four interns this year it just didn’t pan out in the match. So less of a jump then it looks like.

Hey Trilt,

Great question. I think we do have enough back up. We have 4 criticalists, 6 associates and currently 2 residents. We have in the past been more resident heavy with as many as 6 residents ( 1-3/ year). We had intended to have four interns this year it just didn’t pan out in the match. So less of a jump then it looks like.
As a baby doc that's been learning in a GP/ER setting, not having enough support staff had been the major bottle neck. Harder to learn the the medicine when you're having to draw your own bloods and such.

As a baby doc that's been learning in a GP/ER setting, not having enough support staff had been the major bottle neck. Harder to learn the the medicine when you're having to draw your own bloods and such.
Especially with a lot of other doctors on staff that are presumably using support staff as well.

With the current vet med environment, I think a jump from one to six specialty interns can definitely raise eyebrows and make people question if the hospital is increasing their specialty intern class to cover staffing shortages with cheap, contractually obligated labor. Glad to hear the poster says that is not the case in their clinic and they’re adequately staffed, but for any vet students or interns contemplating the match, be sure to do your due diligence and ask these kinds of questions. It sucks when a program isn’t what you were expecting so make sure you know what you’re getting in to as much as possible. Obviously things change day to day in Covid times and everywhere is crazy busy, but don’t let yourself be preyed upon (more than a normal internship I guess) in this crazy overwhelming Covid-age environment. If you’re going to be spending lots of time alone because of understaffing may as well skip the internship and get full time wages or relief wages, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
With the current vet med environment, I think a jump from one to six specialty interns can definitely raise eyebrows and make people question if the hospital is increasing their specialty intern class to cover staffing shortages with cheap, contractually obligated labor. Glad to hear the poster says that is not the case in their clinic and they’re adequately staffed, but for any vet students or interns contemplating the match, be sure to do your due diligence and ask these kinds of questions. It sucks when a program isn’t what you were expecting so make sure you know what you’re getting in to as much as possible. Obviously things change day to day in Covid times and everywhere is crazy busy, but don’t let yourself be preyed upon (more than a normal internship I guess) in this crazy overwhelming Covid-age environment. If you’re going to be spending lots of time alone because of understaffing may as well skip the internship and get full time wages or relief wages, imo.
Thanks for the insight! I am not in charge of the internship just an associate but interesting to know the increase might cause concern.

I always recommend people talk to the current interns/residents/associates. Any place you are interested should be happy to put you in contact.

Ideally if you can swing it spending a week extern ship can also tell you a lot— very much worthwhile. I personally had places I thought I was going to rank until I did an extern ship there and ultimately decided to not rank some places I had applied.

Internships are a two way street. You do make less money then an experienced doctor because you have to learn the ropes and get comfortable doctoring. But you should also be getting good support in return.

Seems early…when was last year’s?
Last year, we got ours monthly because of the extended testing window. That way people who took it September 1 wouldn't have to wait for January

• Wow
I did some sleuthing because I felt like it.

NAVLE scores were reported on Jan 22nd in 2020 and on Jan 16th in 2019. Both those days were Wednesdays. So if I were a betting woman (which I’m not), my guess would be that scores would come out on the 19th.

I did some sleuthing because I felt like it.

NAVLE scores were reported on Jan 22nd in 2020 and on Jan 16th in 2019. Both those days were Wednesdays. So if I were a betting woman (which I’m not), my guess would be that scores would come out on the 19th.
You know, I kind of wanted to say it’s been a Wednesday previously 😂
I can’t remember if they had much of a pattern last year each month or not 🤔

You know, I kind of wanted to say it’s been a Wednesday previously 😂
I can’t remember if they had much of a pattern last year each month or not 🤔
I was curious and scrolled all the way back in my FB timeline... we were notified on January 11th, 2016. A Monday. I doubt this is relevant. :laugh:

I was curious and scrolled all the way back in my FB timeline... we were notified on January 11th, 2016. A Monday. I doubt this is relevant. :laugh:
I figured it wasn’t a Wednesday every year but the ones I had really been around for Wednesday was just sticking in my mind for some reason. I feel like maybe there was talk last year trying to figure out what day of the week they’d release them monthly or something????😂

I figured it wasn’t a Wednesday every year but the ones I had really been around for Wednesday was just sticking in my mind for some reason. I feel like maybe there was talk last year trying to figure out what day of the week they’d release them monthly or something????😂
Just to clarify, I was saying mine being on a Monday (six... six years ago :arghh:) was likely irrelevant, not the Wednesdays. I'm all down for trying to guess when they'll release using patterns. :laugh:

If they were smart, they'd do it on a Friday at 5p so no one could call to complain
Way way back (prob c/o 2012 or 2013) an NCSU student got an acceptance letter, but addressed to someone else... on a Friday afternoon. Whole weekend of limbo and once it was figured out, they were actually rejected.

Nightmare fuel. Legitimate nightmare fuel.

When I got my letter I skipped to the CONGRATULATIONS and then double checked the name before getting too hyped. :nailbiting:

Last edited:
  • Wow
When I got my NAVLE results there wasn’t an online results portal for my state. They announced over the intercom system that results were available (at like 9 or 10 am while we were seeing patients on clinics) and we had to each call the state board individually and they’d give us our results over the phone. So imagine everyone rushing to their phones to call. And if you failed you got a real person telling you that and had to go about your day. And you couldn’t really wait until later in the evening to call one you were at home because the board closed at like 5. I have no idea why they did it like that but I think it’s online now thank goodness.

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
hi. I heard there is 2-3 week delay on NAVLE scores :-/ coming from someone who talked to ICVA

• Wow
hi. I heard there is 2-3 week delay on NAVLE scores :-/ coming from someone who talked to ICVA
I doubt it tbh (you know how it is with some people not knowing what's going on with their organization) because the last day to sign up for the spring navle is february 1st. They can't tell us if we passed or not after that date.

I’d imagine if scores truly did get delayed for some reason, they’d just push back that arbitrary spring signup deadline a couple weeks? I mean they’re the ones who set those deadlines and administer the tests anyway.

Can someone email ICVA so we can all have a time frame or some answers?
I highly highly doubt they will actually give any sort of actual concrete time frame because then they have to actually stick to that day and if anything comes up on their end (like technical difficulties, etc) and they need to delay a day or two people will revolt that the scores aren’t out. That’s why they just give the vague “mid January” in the first place.
Feel free to email them yourself though if you want 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Here we go, anticipate within the window still.

Attachments

• D5369753-0F09-420F-B6D1-3B496A58262C.jpeg
    D5369753-0F09-420F-B6D1-3B496A58262C.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: 10 users
too late to drop out? asking for a friend :p

• Haha
God dang, legit EVERYONE at my school thought it was gonna be today. The past 2 years (I believe) they've been released the 3rd Friday of January, which is today. We were all stressing all day today and they never came -_- good to know they won't come over the long weekend though...my anxiety can rest until Tuesday I guess lol

God dang, legit EVERYONE at my school thought it was gonna be today. The past 2 years (I believe) they've been released the 3rd Friday of January, which is today. We were all stressing all day today and they never came -_- good to know they won't come over the long weekend though...my anxiety can rest until Tuesday I guess lol

NAVLE scores def weren’t released on Fridays the past two years 😬😅 last year it was monthly and the December round of testing was released a Wednesday in January and the year prior it was also a Wednesday
It’s also only the second Friday 😂

Reactions: 6 users