Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Way way back (prob c/o 2012 or 2013) an NCSU student got an acceptance letter, but addressed to someone else... on a Friday afternoon. Whole weekend of limbo and once it was figured out, they were actually rejected.

Nightmare fuel. Legitimate nightmare fuel.

When I got my letter I skipped to the CONGRATULATIONS and then double checked the name before getting too hyped. :nailbiting:
Oh man, when I was rejected I remember I just legit never got a letter from them, had to email them for it, and then they had spelled my name wrong in the letter lol

sounds like they need a copy editor

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Some of our professors were discussing that the scores may be released this Thursday (January 20)! Not sure where they got it from but maybe!!

Reactions: 1 user
I looked on Facebook and everyone at my school posted on Jan 15th last year, which was the 3rd Friday of Jan. Idk about the year before because I'm not friends with anyone from that class, but that's just what I heard :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked on Facebook and everyone at my school posted on Jan 15th last year, which was the 3rd Friday of Jan. Idk about the year before because I'm not friends with anyone from that class, but that's just what I heard :shrug:
Same all of my ppl posted on the 15th but who knows. My best guest is sometime this week and that's all I have...and a hope that I passed😅

Reactions: 3 users
Hey hey long time lurker from class of 2022 here. 👋 I'm just popping in because I am wondering how you guys deal with just straight up rude residents on rotations. There's one resident that is notorious for being...snippy, to put it nicely, but I'd worked really hard this year to try and cultivate a good working relationship with her, and I thought it was going really well. Then today I asked her a question and she snapped at me, and was super rude, and just overall condescending in a room full with other doctors and techs and a fellow classmate. It was so embarrassing I had to leave and sit in a hallway and cry for a bit. I know I shouldn't let it get to me personally but it just feels so awful, especially because we'd been getting along so well for a long time. Do you guys just let it roll off of you? Is it worth trying to talk to her about it? It just sent me into a spiral of feeling stupid and like maybe everyone actually thinks I'm a terrible student and they're all judging me behind my back now.....not good feelings on top of stress over NAVLE results hopefully coming out soon. :(

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hey hey long time lurker from class of 2022 here. 👋 I'm just popping in because I am wondering how you guys deal with just straight up rude residents on rotations. There's one resident that is notorious for being...snippy, to put it nicely, but I'd worked really hard this year to try and cultivate a good working relationship with her, and I thought it was going really well. Then today I asked her a question and she snapped at me, and was super rude, and just overall condescending in a room full with other doctors and techs and a fellow classmate. It was so embarrassing I had to leave and sit in a hallway and cry for a bit. I know I shouldn't let it get to me personally but it just feels so awful, especially because we'd been getting along so well for a long time. Do you guys just let it roll off of you? Is it worth trying to talk to her about it? It just sent me into a spiral of feeling stupid and like maybe everyone actually thinks I'm a terrible student and they're all judging me behind my back now.....not good feelings on top of stress over NAVLE results hopefully coming out soon. :(
Take it higher up. Either to the faculty on that rotation or further up the chain to hospital administration. The hospital director and head of VCM have both told us to tell them if there is any abuse or issues with any faculty or house officers.

Take it higher up. Either to the faculty on that rotation or further up the chain to hospital administration. The hospital director and head of VCM have both told us to tell them if there is any abuse or issues with any faculty or house officers.
I agree with this entirely, my classmates and I have done this before and we see a difference with how they treat us afterwards (they treat us better), and if they didn't I'd do it again!

Reactions: 2 users
I worked with a resident like this in school who was notoriously mean - as in I have literally run into veterinarians who didn't go to school here who have guessed her name off the bat when I mentioned stories about her. There is enough power imbalance between you and the resident that it really shouldn't be something that you discuss between just you and them. Bring it up with the faculty on the rotation and just let them know that the interactions you've had have been hurtful and harming your education. Be tactful in how you word it but I bet this resident has had this feedback before and the faculty are going to have words with them about it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Do you feel like your clinic has the support staff and experienced vet numbers to support training six interns at once?

Just strikes me as a huge increase at a time where everyone is generally struggling to maintain staffing.
I also worked at this hospital in the past and the tech staffing is great. They pay techs well and encourage additional education.

Thank you so much for your advice and support @SkiOtter , @lului1 and @vetmedhead. Turns out while I was off feeling crummy and writing that post, the same resident was simultaneously being even more rude to one of the other students on the rotation, and when the student told me about it later she also started crying. I think you're right that it's something I need to talk to the faculty about...I know for a fact other students have complained about this resident before so it's frustrating that either the faculty aren't talking to her about it, or she gets the feedback but doesn't change. :( But anyways, thank you again for your responses, they made me feel much better and less alone! (And much more prepared to submit some feedback to the faculty.) 💛

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Thank you so much for your advice and support @SkiOtter , @lului1 and @vetmedhead. Turns out while I was off feeling crummy and writing that post, the same resident was simultaneously being even more rude to one of the other students on the rotation, and when the student told me about it later she also started crying. I think you're right that it's something I need to talk to the faculty about...I know for a fact other students have complained about this resident before so it's frustrating that either the faculty aren't talking to her about it, or she gets the feedback but doesn't change. :( But anyways, thank you again for your responses, they made me feel much better and less alone! (And much more prepared to submit some feedback to the faculty.) 💛
If anything at least this is helpful to know that it's not you. In my experience these people clean up their act for a few weeks after getting reprimanded by faculty and then get lax and go back to their behavior shortly after. Rinse and repeat.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
we are starting to move to the "end of january"... i really wish they would stop prolonging results. this is valuable study time for some of us, and the application for the next testing window closes soon.

• Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Received an email for internship interview, one of the requirements to schedule is having passed the NAVLE… Figuring out a draft for saying I’m also still waiting to hear if I meet that requirement.

LOOKING AT YOU ICVA

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email for internship interview, one of the requirements to schedule is having passed the NAVLE… Figuring out a draft for saying I’m also still waiting to hear if I meet that requirement.

LOOKING AT YOU ICVA
I'm pretty sure everybody is in the same boat so I wouldn't worry about it. Also what, they want you to send your scores or something? Just tell them yes and disappoint them later if you're wrong lol

(My advice is clearly good advice)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
1642628057136.png

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users

LOOKING AT YOU ICVA
Asking for a classmate who doesn't have an account - which internship program sent you the interview invite? Feel free to DM me! :)

For the record, we didn't get our scores until the 22nd for c/o 2020, which was a more normal testing year vs last year with COVID changing how they scheduled things. So whether you're going by date or by week (4th Wednesday), it's still early! Our testing window closed mid-December, iirc this round the testing window didn't close until the 31st? So it makes sense to me scores would come out a bit later.

For the record, we didn't get our scores until the 22nd for c/o 2020, which was a more normal testing year vs last year with COVID changing how they scheduled things. So whether you're going by date or by week (4th Wednesday), it's still early! Our testing window closed mid-December, iirc this round the testing window didn't close until the 31st? So it makes sense to me scores would come out a bit later.
Thanks dubz, but also :bullcrap:

• Care
The thing I don't understand, more than the scores not being out yet, is the registration date for the spring testing window being so soon. Maybe that's the usual, but I would have expected it to be pushed back since the fall testing window closed later.

The thing I don't understand, more than the scores not being out yet, is the registration date for the spring testing window being so soon. Maybe that's the usual, but I would have expected it to be pushed back since the fall testing window closed later.
I think it’s early because the testing window is extended. It’s March 14th through April 30th when it’s usually only 2 weeks long in April.

I think it’s early because the testing window is extended. It’s March 14th through April 30th when it’s usually only 2 weeks long in April.
Ah I thought they had extended it the other direction. That makes more sense.

I just would like to know exactly what goes into NAVLE scores and the exact reason why it takes such a long time to get results. It's a computer based multiple choice exam and I would hope they already have software to pull out data to make it statistically easy to analyze and make adjustments based on that. Imo I don't see a reason why it has to take so long...

Reactions: 13 users
I just would like to know exactly what goes into NAVLE scores and the exact reason why it takes such a long time to get results. It's a computer based multiple choice exam and I would hope they already have software to pull out data to make it statistically easy to analyze and make adjustments based on that. Imo I don't see a reason why it has to take so long...
sometimes the pigeons peck the wrong buttons, and then they have to start over.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
So, whatever day/date the scores are released- what is the assumption or past practice for TIME of day that the emails will be sent? :unsure:

So, whatever day/date the scores are released- what is the assumption or past practice for TIME of day that the emails will be sent? :unsure:
I peaked at previous years posts and a lot of them were between 9 am -10 am / morning hours.... but one year it was 5:00 pm. based on their previous email in this thread I think they are planning to release them during business hours so I would assume earlier.

My biggest issue with this whole NAVLE thing is that every response from them seems like they are giving us new information, when in fact they are just restating that scores will come out before the end of January. And honestly, it makes no sense. I would MUCH rather they pick a date and have those score released every year on that date/time (like the match) than wait for some random date for them to release it. Heck, it could be the last business day of the month, but at least if I knew, I could stop stressing about it. The NAVLE is stressful enough, I don't understand why they are contributing to that stress and making us guess. This whole "I suffered so you must suffer" mentality in vet med drives me crazy.

Reactions: 7 users
My biggest issue with this whole NAVLE thing is that every response from them seems like they are giving us new information, when in fact they are just restating that scores will come out before the end of January. And honestly, it makes no sense. I would MUCH rather they pick a date and have those score released every year on that date/time (like the match) than wait for some random date for them to release it. Heck, it could be the last business day of the month, but at least if I knew, I could stop stressing about it. The NAVLE is stressful enough, I don't understand why they are contributing to that stress and making us guess. This whole "I suffered so you must suffer" mentality in vet med drives me crazy.
ICVA doesn’t have the scores yet. They are not going to tell you a specific date when they don’t know when they will get the scores in. They aren’t trying to just make you suffer. If they told you a certain date and then didn’t end up having scores by then, there would be an uproar. That’s why it’s a vague “mid-January.”

ICVA doesn’t have the scores yet. They are not going to tell you a specific date when they don’t know when they will get the scores in. They aren’t trying to just make you suffer. If they told you a certain date and then didn’t end up having scores by then, there would be an uproar. That’s why it’s a vague “mid-January.”

This. Does it feel like suffering? Yes. Is it intentional? Absolutely not. If they could do something to stop getting anxious vet student emails… they would! I’m sure they’re tired of hearing from us 😂

I’m super curious how the process works and what causes delays to occur or make it so a date can’t be sent by whoever ICVA receives them from. Either way, I’m glad to have a community where we can stress together though! Family/friends keep asking and it’s nice to be able to come here (and to classmate group chats) and simultaneously stress and relax with people in similar boats. We’ll get through this!!

Sure an online test could pop out a “you got a 65% correct, sorry passing is a 70, you fail” immediately after you take it because it’s multiple choice, but despite how frustrating it is to wait an unspecified amount of time, it’s actually better for you as a test taker for them to the equating analysis and make sure that your test was of the same difficulty as previous versions. Then if they find that your test was harder or easier compared to the standard they can adjust the passing score to make sure everything is equal. And that takes time to look at every question for every test taker. Equating an exam is time consuming but it ensures that no one version of the test (between test takers if people are given different versions on different days as well as from year to year) is of equal difficulty. It’s now specialty exams do it too. And it’s outsourced to statisticians I’m pretty sure so ICVA literally has no control over how fast it happens and when they get data back. Statistically you have a 95+% chance of passing. I get concerns about finding money to pay for a retake, studying or reapplying by the due dates but you can’t control it and contacting ICVA isn’t going to make it happen any faster. You probably passed and if you didn’t there’ll still be time to make arrangements, it happens like this every year.

This. Does it feel like suffering? Yes. Is it intentional? Absolutely not. If they could do something to stop getting anxious vet student emails… they would! I’m sure they’re tired of hearing from us 😂

I’m super curious how the process works and what causes delays to occur or make it so a date can’t be sent by whoever ICVA receives them from. Either way, I’m glad to have a community where we can stress together though! Family/friends keep asking and it’s nice to be able to come here (and to classmate group chats) and simultaneously stress and relax with people in similar boats. We’ll get through this!!
My best guess is that if whatever computer system they use flags particular questions based on unexpected results (like a ridiculous number of people getting it wrong or some such), they have to be manually reviewed and perhaps discussed among the expert panel that determines the content of the exam and such.

Reactions: 8 users
Agree that at least we have this thread/forum for commiseration with the only other people in the universe who get it right now. Ugh. this wait sucks ass.

Sure an online test could pop out a “you got a 65% correct, sorry passing is a 70, you fail” immediately after you take it because it’s multiple choice, but despite how frustrating it is to wait an unspecified amount of time, it’s actually better for you as a test taker for them to the equating analysis and make sure that your test was of the same difficulty as previous versions. Then if they find that your test was harder or easier compared to the standard they can adjust the passing score to make sure everything is equal. And that takes time to look at every question for every test taker. Equating an exam is time consuming but it ensures that no one version of the test (between test takers if people are given different versions on different days as well as from year to year) is of equal difficulty. It’s now specialty exams do it too. And it’s outsourced to statisticians I’m pretty sure so ICVA literally has no control over how fast it happens and when they get data back. Statistically you have a 95+% chance of passing. I get concerns about finding money to pay for a retake, studying or reapplying by the due dates but you can’t control it and contacting ICVA isn’t going to make it happen any faster. You probably passed and if you didn’t there’ll still be time to make arrangements, it happens like this every year.

Thanks for such a thorough response! I never bothered to try finding online how they do it if I'm being honest... but this makes so much sense!

Also... look at how active our class page is now that it's NAVLE score season :lol:

• Haha
Thanks for such a thorough response! I never bothered to try finding online how they do it if I'm being honest... but this makes so much sense!

Also... look at how active our class page is now that it's NAVLE score season :lol:
During the past 5 years the pathology board exam went through format changes and went through the standard setting the equating process, so I’ve been to several webinars about what they do during that process. I did a quick google and I think NAVLE is the same. When they add new questions every year they have to re-do everything.

My score report is available through the ICVA scheduling permit site/link! Still no email but I was able to see my report through that!!

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats everyone.

If you didn’t pass, don’t be too discouraged; it doesn’t mean anything at all about the type of veterinarian you’ll be in the future. I know very smart people who are wonderful vets who had to take it more than once. It’s definitely normal and okay to feel sad but it’s just a bump in the road of your journey. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 21 users