Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have our first exam next Monday! It’s a little frightening :nailbiting:

How are you doing so far?
Our first exam is on September 1st, so I feel like we have plenty of time to prepare. I haven't felt too overwhelmed so far, although I know that could change as more information and more complicated concepts are thrown our way.

Members don't see this ad.

We have labs in person but split into small groups. All electives are in person and we go to lecture on a rotating schedule. Sometimes once a week, sometimes twice a week and sometimes not at all. Hardest part so far has been figuring out when I go in and when I don't and using the computer system they gave us. Been really busy so far and got involved in one club. Hard to really meet people in this environment and it is a bit awkward. Still getting used to it all and figuring out a schedule that works for me. Good luck all.
We're doing the same here and I agree, right now it's mostly the headache of scheduling, although I feel this will get easier as the semester progresses.

Does anyone else feel supppper overwhelmed/disorganized with their school? Our system that records lectures went down 4 times this week and those of us online were told to just “watch it later on our own time” while the lecturers continued. We have class til at least 4-5 each day and not much time to rewatch hours of lectures. I am very frustrated to pay out of state tuition for lectures that I don’t even get to watch.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@SCML We haven't had too many technology errors, but I can see how that's immensely frustrating. I agree, there's not much time at the end of the day to just watch the lectures later.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if NC state's decision to move the undergrads online is going to effect the vet school?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if NC state's decision to move the undergrads online is going to effect the vet school?
I don't think so. The message they sent out said the grad school can continue in person. presumably professional programs can too.

(For the record I don't go to NCSU but I do work on their campus during breaks so I get work emails about it. Somebody who is a student there may have better info...)

Drowning in work already :) it really is like drinking from a fire hose

edit: we arent allowed to be in clubs until the end of block 1 and now I very much understand why
Hello block I friend! I'm assuming by your username that you're a fellow John Mulaney enthusiast?

Does anyone else feel supppper overwhelmed/disorganized with their school? Our system that records lectures went down 4 times this week and those of us online were told to just “watch it later on our own time” while the lecturers continued. We have class til at least 4-5 each day and not much time to rewatch hours of lectures. I am very frustrated to pay out of state tuition for lectures that I don’t even get to watch.

If it makes you feel any better, our stuff was a little bit of a mess back at the beginning of last semester (summer semester/we go year round) but they were able to work out the kinks fairly quickly. Hopefully it will be the same with you all <3 most of the other schools haven’t had as much extensive online schooling so there will be some frustrating adjustments, but I’m sure it will get better. Just to give you some hope!

If it makes you feel any better, our stuff was a little bit of a mess back at the beginning of last semester (summer semester/we go year round) but they were able to work out the kinks fairly quickly. Hopefully it will be the same with you all <3 most of the other schools haven’t had as much extensive online schooling so there will be some frustrating adjustments, but I’m sure it will get better. Just to give you some hope!
Thank you <3 I think I’m just overwhelmed trying to get used to having class til 4/5 and then having to rewatch lectures after and do things the complete opposite way of undergrad. I know I’ll get used to it but just a little stressed ATM, as I’m sure most are!!!

Thank you <3 I think I’m just overwhelmed trying to get used to having class til 4/5 and then having to rewatch lectures after and do things the complete opposite way of undergrad. I know I’ll get used to it but just a little stressed ATM, as I’m sure most are!!!
The first week we had a class that was having trouble with zoom. It wasn’t up after 10 minutes so the IT guy was there tinkering but the lecture went on and we were told it would be recorded and posted later. I decided that I couldn’t waste time just sitting there so I stopped fiddling with zoom and used the time to make a study guide for another class I had that morning. That evening I watched the lecture capture of the missed class in the time I would’ve been working on my study guide. Be flexible :)

Also, hopefully your school has worked out the kinks! We didn’t have any zoom issues week 2 that I’m aware of.

Reactions: 9 users
So I really really really love lecture capture. Like love watching lectures at 1.5x speed after I’ve had time to review the notes. Clicks better for me. But I feel too much guilt to miss the live class. The struggle is real :confused:

Reactions: 6 users
But I feel too much guilt to miss the live class. The struggle is real :confused:

Dont. Dont feel guilty if you are doing better with this new study style. You do you!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I really really really love lecture capture. Like love watching lectures at 1.5x speed after I’ve had time to review the notes. Clicks better for me. But I feel too much guilt to miss the live class. The struggle is real :confused:

Don't feel guilty. A lot of people prefer to watch recordings because they can increase the speed. Aside from the start of first semester, I never went to any lecture that wasn't mandatory and I didn't watch the live recordings.

Though I did feel a little bit guilty the time that I passed the professor who was giving the next lecture in the parking lot on my way out. "You're not staying for my lecture?" "Uh... "

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
A few professors talk so slow that it kills me inside. I’ve always been more of a self learner so it’s way more efficient for me to kind of work through material on my own then watch the lecture at increased speed and slow it down where I need to fill in the gaps or don’t quite get something.
Thanks for the words of advice @batsenecal and @finnickthedog !! I need to work on my guilt

Reactions: 4 users
A few professors talk so slow that it kills me inside. I’ve always been more of a self learner so it’s way more efficient for me to kind of work through material on my own then watch the lecture at increased speed and slow it down where I need to fill in the gaps or don’t quite get something.
Thanks for the words of advice @batsenecal and @finnickthedog !! I need to work on my guilt
I also am self learner style and stopped going to classes because they were so much more inefficient for me. Don't feel guilty. Time is precious, so use it wisely.

• Love
Man the slow talkers are
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Quarantine showed me how much I love recorded lectures. Self paced, at home, pajamas, dogs, coffee....it’s bliss.

• Love
Life was so much better when I switched to watching every lecture at 2x speed at home. Better for my mental health, my understanding of the material, my back, etc etc. Never feel guilty!
Don't feel guilty. A lot of people prefer to watch recordings because they can increase the speed. Aside from the start of first semester, I never went to any lecture that wasn't mandatory and I didn't watch the live recordings.

Though I did feel a little bit guilty the time that I passed the professor who was giving the next lecture in the parking lot on my way out. "You're not staying for my lecture?" "Uh... "
Lol I once chatted with a professor at the front of the class before their lecture and straight up took a left at the podium and peaced out of the room as soon as they started getting everybody to settle down for class

• Love
So far we’ve gotten to continue with our hybrid system!

first a&p exam in 5 min.. :horns:

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
We have done anatomy lab and lecture, physio, and genetics/cell exams so far! Parasit is next. Hope everyone is doing well :)

What are everyone’s schedules set up like? Do you guys have class for 7-8 hours per day?

What are everyone’s schedules set up like? Do you guys have class for 7-8 hours per day?
Depends on the day and week. Our fridays are pretty light with 0 to 3 hrs of lecture. Mostly our lectures end by 12 and then the afternoon we might have in person type courses some days such as anatomy lab. But there are some weeks where we have zoom lecture 8-5.

Purdue announced today they have "eliminated" spring break and in return have given us three reading days spread across the semester :blackeye:

• Wow
  • Sad
Purdue announced today they have "eliminated" spring break and in return have given us three reading days spread across the semester :blackeye:
What about the SAVMA symposium in March?? :(

TBD they are planning to have it fully in person but do have plans in the works for a virtual version if not allowed by March.

Hoping for one last shot at in person! We just got out swag that Cornell sent to the schools for their participants. I'm digging the thermos!

Reactions: 1 users
Hoping for one last shot at in person! We just got out swag that Cornell sent to the schools for their participants. I'm digging the thermos!

How would one have gotten in on this? Is it something existing savma members knew about? I joined, but literally in the last 3 or so weeks.

also, update: I aced that exam :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

It's just as stressful for me! I feel like I'm doing more studying now than I did in my first two years of vet school... and I think this has a lot to do with having to re-watch lectures to catch parts that were difficult to hear during the live-stream. You definitely aren't alone in your feelings for your year, program, or even in general!

Reactions: 3 users
BIG WELP. Wisconsin just went two weeks remote for everyone (undergrads/grads/professional students) except clinical effective today due to 20% rising COVID confirmed cases within the university over the past two days. They do not suspect it was contracted via contact, but they said that two dorms are now in quarantine. On Monday, there was an announcement for undergrads to restrict their movements. Over the weekend, a couple of Greek houses were placed on quarantine. No known/confirmed cases in the SVM. Sucks that professional students are told to stop in person classes too... I suspect the in-person cancellation will go beyond the current two week stoppage... I guess it's not the end of the world for first years, but I really feel bad for the upper classmen who now have two disrupted semesters. Our professors have said they made contingency plans exactly for this kind of situation and I totally expected this to happen eventually, but it still sucks.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
BIG WELP. Wisconsin just went two weeks remote for everyone (undergrads/grads/professional students) except clinical effective today due to 20% rising COVID confirmed cases within the university over the past two days. They do not suspect it was contracted via contact, but they said that two dorms are now in quarantine. On Monday, there was an announcement for undergrads to restrict their movements. Over the weekend, a couple of Greek houses were placed on quarantine. No known/confirmed cases in the SVM. Sucks that professional students are told to stop in person classes too... I suspect the in-person cancellation will go beyond the current two week stoppage... I guess it's not the end of the world for first years, but I really feel bad for the upper classmen who now have two disrupted semesters. Our professors have said they made contingency plans exactly for this kind of situation and I totally expected this to happen eventually, but it still sucks.

Honestly, I'm sure it sucks for them and all but I was really glad when MSU made the preclinical students (3rd year labs--which is like, surgery--aside) online. The less people here the better. My fear is clinics getting suspended again if cases were to increase a lot. Online was better than sitting around and doing nothing but its not a substitute. Having a couple hundred less students here helps reduce that risk.

So I don't know, I hope frustrated preclinical students keep that in mind and aren't too upset about the decision. Probably isn't too comforting right now but at least you guys will probably get a full clinical year and once you're there you won't be thinking about what you missed out on by being remote during preclinical time.

Even for those of us who have had messed up clinics, a year or two from now when we're practicing vets, I don't think we're going to still be thinking about how much clinical year sucked.

• Love
Honestly, I'm sure it sucks for them and all but I was really glad when MSU made the preclinical students (3rd year labs--which is like, surgery--aside) online. The less people here the better. My fear is clinics getting suspended again if cases were to increase a lot. Online was better than sitting around and doing nothing but its not a substitute. Having a couple hundred less students here helps reduce that risk.

So I don't know, I hope frustrated preclinical students keep that in mind and aren't too upset about the decision. Probably isn't too comforting right now but at least you guys will probably get a full clinical year and once you're there you won't be thinking about what you missed out on by being remote during preclinical time.

Even for those of us who have had messed up clinics, a year or two from now when we're practicing vets, I don't think we're going to still be thinking about how much clinical year sucked.

I totally understand the decision to go remote. Honestly, I do think it was the right thing to do given the increased risks with rising cases. It's still disappointing though since my entire class at the SVM (and all the other cohorts too) have been particularly careful with PPE and social distancing so that we wouldn't get shut down. I know by the time we graduate, it probably won't matter because there will be opportunities in the future to supplement our learning in case we didn't fully get it the first time around. That said, I really liked going into the school and seeing my classmates. Much better than staring at a dark computer screen with everyone's cameras turned off :laugh:

First anatomy exam in the books, trying to relax. How is everyone doing?

Good luck!!! you will do great! We are almost done with our first week of 2 exams a week for 3 weeks lol. Parasitology and ethics this week, anatomy and genetics next, and histo and physio after that. ‍‍ trying to stay functioning lol (edit: removed weird emojis i didn’t add lol)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Counting down the days until our "Fall Break" 3-day weekend (Oct 2-4) between blocks <-- i.e. no studying to be done! :love:

Good luck!!! you will do great! We are almost done with our first week of 2 exams a week for 3 weeks lol. Parasitology and ethics this week, anatomy and genetics next, and histo and physio after that ‍♀‍♀ trying to stay functioning lol
That sounds brutal!!

Things are going well here, I feel pretty adjusted to the schedule, although partially online is still kind of strange. Anatomy is a beast, but I like how you can usually logic your way through the questions to find the most appropriate answer.
Good luck!!! you will do great! We are almost done with our first week of 2 exams a week for 3 weeks lol. Parasitology and ethics this week, anatomy and genetics next, and histo and physio after that ‍♀‍♀ trying to stay functioning lol
That's crazy, but just think that after that you'll be through one of the harder parts of the semester! Hopefully your exams will be a bit more spread out after that.