Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone the parent income max for the HPSL and LDS loans? :oops:
I believe it’s $150k

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
WSU sent out an email stating that the white coat ceremony and the orientation would be held virtually... understandable but disappointing. Looking forward to an official decision of how classes will work.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
WSU sent out an email stating that the white coat ceremony and the orientation would be held virtually... understandable but disappointing. Looking forward to an official decision of how classes will work.
I bet other schools will follow suit :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas State said they anticipate in-person classes and possibly an altered orientation to minimize bigger groups. We don’t have white coat ceremony until 3rd year anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
I completely understand why, but I was definitely a little disappointed yesterday :(

• Sad
I completely understand why, but I was definitely a little disappointed yesterday :(

I was reading the email and wondering who could possibly be disappointed about that decision. :laugh:

I don't people well. :ninja:

• Haha
Sorry all :( its definately disappointing but for the right reasons. All the upper classmen are also super bumbed not to be able to welcome you like we normally do. Hopefully we'll be able to have some small activities still.

Glasgow says we'll do hybrid learning! We finally heard back! And they say they'll format the online components to be as interactive as possible

Yeah, not gonna lie, I'm not too happy about the possibility of virtual/hybrid things. I'm moving 4 hours away to be near campus and leaving my boyfriend and pets at home. I kinda wish it was 100% virtual or 100% in person. I know it's such a small problem compared to things going on in the world rn, but still, sad. :( Trying to stay positive, though. Anyone else feeling kinda down about it all?

Reactions: 7 users
It just dawned on me that I probably won't even be part of my class' white coat. Instead of going into clinics I'll be going into PhD work. I guess they'd have me join the white coat thing with the class I'm joining for clinics but dang. Maybe they'll let me do both.

It just dawned on me that I probably won't even be part of my class' white coat. Instead of going into clinics I'll be going into PhD work. I guess they'd have me join the white coat thing with the class I'm joining for clinics but dang. Maybe they'll let me do both.

For our school's PhD students, they do blue coat with the class we enter with and then white coat with the class they join later.

• Hmm
@Vet_Squared80 might know I think they are doing a joint program but I cant remember if it is PhD or mph

I wasn't part of white coat with my class. I will have been with the class I'll graduate with for a grand total of like 2 1/2 months by the time I get to white coat. It'll be okay, I promise :)

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone congratulations on your acceptances!

I have a favor to ask everyone. Due to coronavirus budget cuts Nevada might be defunding the WICHE PSEP program. I was wondering if you all could help us bring attention to this and send a message to this link: http://budget.nv.gov/GFO/Feedback_(GFO)/

Anyone can do it even if you’re not a Nevada resident and we have a generic message for you to just copy and paste:

I am writing to discuss the urgent importance of maintaining funding to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP). Due to COVID-19, the WICHE office is facing substantial reductions in their budget and the office may not have the funding needed to support WICHE students. This will negatively impact Nevada students who must leave the state to pursue professional education, like veterinary school. Since Nevada does not have an in-state veterinary school, the least expensive option for Nevada students is to pursue a veterinary program at a WICHE participating institution.

WICHE’s PSEP funding is critical for students. Without an in-state option, Nevada students hoping to become veterinarians face substantial increases in debt burden due to high out-of-state tuition costs. WICHE-supported Nevada professionals are guaranteed to work a minimum of 2-4 years in Nevada, which helps to alleviate workforce shortages. WICHE also creates additional employment opportunities that help contribute to a robust Nevada economy. If Nevada is forced to cut funding to WICHE’s PSEP, both the students and the great state of Nevada will face significant losses.

I ask that funding remain available to the hardworking students of Nevada. Please consider the negative impact on students if they are unable to receive WICHE funding to pursue professional education. This funding is vital to Nevada students who are otherwise unable to take on the debt burden that would come with attending an out-of-state veterinary school.

Students have made major life and financial decisions based on WICHE funding and it is deeply unfair to defund WICHE’s PSEP at this time. WICHE funding will alleviate a crushing amount of educational debt for Nevada students. Please do not defund WICHE PSEP.

PLEASE it’ll only take a few minutes. I’m a first generation college student from a family of Mexican immigrants. Receiving WICHE funding gave me hope that my dream was attainable but now with the possible increase in tuition I’m not so sure I will be able to attend veterinary school in the fall :(

Thank you all in advance!

So surreal that I get to post here but hi! Got my acceptance letter on Wednesday and it still hasn’t sunk in. Can’t wait to get started!

Reactions: 10 users
I know our class hasn't really had to deal with this yet, but I know quite a few vet students follow this page. What does everyone who needs their own health insurance do? Is it cheaper through AVMA or your school? Purdue's looks pretty expensive but they say it's taken care of most of the rabies immunizations in the past. Once I leave my job I'm going to lose my really great insurance (like paying $6 for A $750/month migraine med) so I'm nervous. Thank you!

I know our class hasn't really had to deal with this yet, but I know quite a few vet students follow this page. What does everyone who needs their own health insurance do? Is it cheaper through AVMA or your school? Purdue's looks pretty expensive but they say it's taken care of most of the rabies immunizations in the past. Once I leave my job I'm going to lose my really great insurance (like paying $6 for A $750/month migraine med) so I'm nervous. Thank you!
Check out the benefits offered by the school plan not just the cost.

Virginia Tech has a great rate for out of pocket costs - the deductible is only $500 and will cover up to 90% of costs after that until you hit the total out of pocket expense limit.

I could have gotten slightly cheaper insurance through my husband's job, but the deductible would have been much higher ($3000 or something), and it would have paid a smaller percentage with each visit. The overall out of pocket limit was about the same.

I needed surgery + physical therapy + associated appointments during my first year of vet school and ended up saving thousands of dollars overall on the "more expensive" school plan because the benefits were better.

I think schools are able to negotiate better rates for students than a lot of other plans partly because they are insuring mostly young, healthy people who don't require as much care as the average (read: middle aged) american, so the overall risk group is lower. If you think you'll need to rely on it for expensive medical needs (ie migraine meds) it might be worth going through the school even if the annual price of the plan is higher because they may cover more of your out of pocket costs.

Some students also go the Medicaid route, so that is worth looking into. Just make sure that they will cover what you need medically. (I have no experience here - I wouldn't qualify due to spousal income.)

tl;dr - figure out what you will need the plan for and compare your expected costs if you went with each plan. Also decide your risk tolerance - is saving a few extra hundred bucks worth it if you would have to pay more out of pocket with an unexpected illness or injury?

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Check out the benefits offered by the school plan not just the cost.

Virginia Tech has a great rate for out of pocket costs - the deductible is only $500 and will cover up to 90% of costs after that until you hit the total out of pocket expense limit.

I could have gotten slightly cheaper insurance through my husband's job, but the deductible would have been much higher ($3000 or something), and it would have paid a smaller percentage with each visit. The overall out of pocket limit was about the same.

I needed surgery + physical therapy + associated appointments during my first year of vet school and ended up saving thousands of dollars overall on the "more expensive" school plan because the benefits were better.

I think schools are able to negotiate better rates for students than a lot of other plans partly because they are insuring mostly young, healthy people who don't require as much care as the average (read: middle aged) american, so the overall risk group is lower. If you think you'll need to rely on it for expensive medical needs (ie migraine meds) it might be worth going through the school even if the annual price of the plan is higher because they may cover more of your out of pocket costs.

Some students also go the Medicaid route, so that is worth looking into. Just make sure that they will cover what you need medically. (I have no experience here - I wouldn't qualify due to spousal income.)

tl;dr - figure out what you will need the plan for and compare your expected costs if you went with each plan. Also decide your risk tolerance - if is saving a few extra hundred bucks worth it if you would have to pay more out of pocket with an unexpected illness or injury?

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
GREAT points! Thank you!

How is everyone doing so far? I’m starting to get super nervous and already struggling with imposter syndrome . Can’t wait to get started so I stop stressing about it haha!

Reactions: 8 users
How is everyone doing so far? I’m starting to get super nervous and already struggling with imposter syndrome . Can’t wait to get started so I stop stressing about it haha!
100%. Every day I think I’m not smart enough for this. Especially amplified today as this week and next are my last 2 weeks of work for a company I’ve been with 11 years :nailbiting:

Reactions: 5 users
I’ve been working at the same shelter for 5 years, part of high school and all of undergrad, and these are my last few weeks coming up. It’s surreal to think about leaving. I’ve never moved houses in my entire life, I stayed at home to save money in undergrad, and now I’m going to move out of state during a pandemic of all things.

Imposter syndrome hasn’t hit me yet but I think it’s because I still don’t really believe that I get to go to vet school. I’m kind of still in the pre-vet mindset and this is just a summer break before I go back to undergrad. I think not having a graduation ceremony has messed with me psychologically because there’s no closure on undergrad in my mind.

100%. Every day I think I’m not smart enough for this. Especially amplified today as this week and next are my last 2 weeks of work for a company I’ve been with 11 years :nailbiting:

Man, that’s tough! And same about thinking I’m not smart enough. I’ve been trying to chat with as many of my classmates as possible via fb since we can’t meet which also isn’t helping. Everyone is so much younger, more accomplished, and more experienced it seems like!

I‘m hoping once we get started things start getting better and we feel better? Although @SkiOtter has made me strongly doubt that :p

@mammalade hoping you have a smooth transition and move! Moving out for the first time is so bittersweet, but I bet once you’ve settled in you’ll love it!

Just here as a vet who just finished her residency to say that imposter syndrome can hit at any point in your career - just have to accept that lots of people feel it but it doesn't make it true.

Reactions: 12 users
I’ve been working at the same shelter for 5 years, part of high school and all of undergrad, and these are my last few weeks coming up. It’s surreal to think about leaving. I’ve never moved houses in my entire life, I stayed at home to save money in undergrad, and now I’m going to move out of state during a pandemic of all things.

Imposter syndrome hasn’t hit me yet but I think it’s because I still don’t really believe that I get to go to vet school. I’m kind of still in the pre-vet mindset and this is just a summer break before I go back to undergrad. I think not having a graduation ceremony has messed with me psychologically because there’s no closure on undergrad in my mind.
Third year here. Still have imposter syndrome. It’s not just you guys :hilarious:

Screenshot_20200703-170442_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-194031_Facebook.jpg

You all belong here and I hope you come to recognize that more and more as you go through vet school :biglove:

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, and if they do and you question whether they're right, hit me up and I'll remind you why they're wrong.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
I have moments where I realize it’s happening but it’s been hard to move out of the pre vet mindset. It doesn’t feel real!

View attachment 312039View attachment 312040
You all belong here and I hope you come to recognize that more and more as you go through vet school :biglove:

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, and if they do and you question whether they're right, hit me up and I'll remind you why they're wrong.
That’s so funny...his music is great for convincing yourself you have Confidence.

Third year here. Still have imposter syndrome. It’s not just you guys :hilarious:
Hard same.

I feel super good about the public health regulatory stuff (good since it will be my first job) but had a "uhhhh I should probably figure out how to do actually do clinical stuff at some point since that's like, the primary focus of vet school" panic this summer.

Still got a few years to figure it out, fam.

I gotchu. You can come over this fall and get out all of your (socially distanced) anxiety and I'll give you cake and a pep talk. ;)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Packing, packing, & packing. Anyone else moving next week?

Reactions: 6 users
Packing, packing, & packing. Anyone else moving next week?
I'm starting to move next week! I live with my parents right now, about an hour from where I'll be, so I'm moving slowly until I move my horses to Athens.

I'm starting to move next week! I live with my parents right now, about an hour from where I'll be, so I'm moving slowly until I move my horses to Athens.
That’s not too bad! I’m moving 500 miles north so trying to get everything packed for the movers for Friday.

Hey guys! I don’t know how many of y’all are having in person orientations but we are at Kansas! I’m just wondering what is the dress code to this kind of thing? Business casual? Casual? Would appreciate some guidance lol.

• Love
Hey guys! I don’t know how many of y’all are having in person orientations but we are at Kansas! I’m just wondering what is the dress code to this kind of thing? Business casual? Casual? Would appreciate some guidance lol.
Purdue is making us dress nice the first day since we are getting headshots for our IDs and a class picture, but later in the evening they said we can dress more casual

I'm thinking Business casual since it is being streamed to parents/family. Looking at pictures of past orientations that is what it looks like. Can't wait for tomorrow! Ready to get started. I think they are doing photos for IDs and stuff too.

Michigan State just finished our entirely virtual orientation yesterday. 3 days of 9-5 zoom meetings. It wasn't wonderful but it was ok.

Classes (all online for the most part, some occasional IRL labs) start Monday. Really not how I envisioned vet school going and I'm still pretty bummed out about it, but here goes.

Reactions: 11 users
Last week was our first week of the semester! I don’t feel like throwing myself off a bridge yet so I think that’s a good sign :p

Our lectures are virtual for the most part and we have in-person labs but in small groups.

We have virtual orientation next week, mostly on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8am-6pm :0. And then we start the week after, with class mostly virtual and in person labs! It's not how any of us wanted to start this exciting time, but i fully believe the profs will be doing their best. Hopefully we can be more in person in the spring.

We finished our week of virtual orientation yesterday. Tbh, I was bummed when I first learned about the 100% virtual-ness of it, but now that I’ve gone through it, I have nothing else to say other than it was amazing! It really showed that the faculty and the (involved) fourth year students put a lot of time and effort to make it a wonderful experience for us all (while helping us stay covid-free ;)). I hope all of you who haven’t gone through your orientation yet look forward to yours and have a lot of fun!

• Care
We finished our week of virtual orientation yesterday. Tbh, I was bummed when I first learned about the 100% virtual-ness of it, but now that I’ve gone through it, I have nothing else to say other than it was amazing! It really showed that the faculty and the (involved) fourth year students put a lot of time and effort to make it a wonderful experience for us all (while helping us stay covid-free ;)). I hope all of you who haven’t gone through your orientation yet look forward to yours and have a lot of fun!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm sorry you missed out of the 100+ degree heat with the must wear the same t-shirt every day but I'm sure you'll live ;) you guys have my amazing classmates helping and honestly I doubt you could possibly get a better group of people! Relax and enjoy basic foundations, try to not stress out.

Update: I do not think Zoom classes are going to work out for me.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Give it time! You’re a smart and capable person even just by virtue of getting to where you are. It’s early on, and even so you can always reach out to people for help!

A suggestion: I know it's alot harder since you probably don't know many of your classmates if any, but my friend group we are doing school together this semester. So one week everyone will come to my house and we will watch lectures and "go to school" as we normally would. Then we will rotate houses so no one is host all the time. I don't know if it'll be better than last semester but hoping it will be and give more of a sense of school. We are all in the same lab groups, some of us work or live together, we have sunday dinner together so our group is close knit and fairly closed off as far as COVID concerns and looking at that aspect.

Reactions: 13 users
A suggestion: I know it's alot harder since you probably don't know many of your classmates if any, but my friend group we are doing school together this semester. So one week everyone will come to my house and we will watch lectures and "go to school" as we normally would. Then we will rotate houses so no one is host all the time. I don't know if it'll be better than last semester but hoping it will be and give more of a sense of school. We are all in the same lab groups, some of us work or live together, we have sunday dinner together so our group is close knit and fairly closed off as far as COVID concerns and looking at that aspect.

That’s a really great idea. I love this suggestion! My school is having lectures online but labs in person in groups of four that essentially becomes our closed off group.

Anyone else worried that it’s all going to get shutdown one month into the semester? My only hope is that they’ll let us have our in person lab time in the future.

• Care
I think most of us have started by now, how's everyone doing? I know it's strange and difficult adjusting to online, especially since we're also adjusting to professional school.

I think most of us have started by now, how's everyone doing? I know it's strange and difficult adjusting to online, especially since we're also adjusting to professional school.
We have our first exam next Monday! It’s a little frightening :nailbiting:

How are you doing so far?

• Wow
We have labs in person but split into small groups. All electives are in person and we go to lecture on a rotating schedule. Sometimes once a week, sometimes twice a week and sometimes not at all. Hardest part so far has been figuring out when I go in and when I don't and using the computer system they gave us. Been really busy so far and got involved in one club. Hard to really meet people in this environment and it is a bit awkward. Still getting used to it all and figuring out a schedule that works for me. Good luck all.

Drowning in work already :) it really is like drinking from a fire hose

edit: we arent allowed to be in clubs until the end of block 1 and now I very much understand why

Last edited:
Don’t start until Monday, but am already overwhelmed looking over the coursework. Good luck to everyone and may we all survive the fire hose!

Don’t start until Monday, but am already overwhelmed looking over the coursework. Good luck to everyone and may we all survive the fire hose!
That's the nice thing about fire hoses, it's impossible to drink all the water but it's highly unlikely to kill you. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users