Cornell c/o 2015 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the schedule may be for the information session weekends? I'm trying to determine if the first (1/28-29) or second (2/4-5) weekend would be a better fit for my schedule. I read somewhere that Friday will be all day and Saturday will only be half of a day, but I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere. I figured maybe if someone had already signed up, they might have received more information about it. Thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the schedule may be for the information session weekends? I'm trying to determine if the first (1/28-29) or second (2/4-5) weekend would be a better fit for my schedule. I read somewhere that Friday will be all day and Saturday will only be half of a day, but I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere. I figured maybe if someone had already signed up, they might have received more information about it. Thanks! :cool:

Last year it was 8:30am to about 5pm on Friday and either 8 or 9am to about 12pm on Saturday. Saturday was mostly school/hospital tours if I remember correctly. I also remember not really getting anything in the way of a schedule for awhile after I RSVPed last year. I can't think of any reason why they would drastically change the schedule this year.

Does anyone else know which informational session they are going to? I'm planning to attend the Jan 28th-29th :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else know which informational session they are going to? I'm planning to attend the Jan 28th-29th :)

I am attending the last one, February 25-26. I want them to give us a sample PBL lesson to see what its like :laugh:

I am attending the last one, February 25-26. I want them to give us a sample PBL lesson to see what its like :laugh:

They will! They break you up into groups, give you a faculty member and a case, and let you go at it. By far the most useful part of the weekend, in my opinion.

They will! They break you up into groups, give you a faculty member and a case, and let you go at it. By far the most useful part of the weekend, in my opinion.

Sweet :thumbup: I can't wait!!! I better start watching House re-runs to prepare.:D

Last edited:
If you bring a guest with you, do they allow them to participate too?

I RSVPed for the Feb 4-5 session... I requested to stay with a vet student for Thursday and Friday night... does anyone know when this might be confirmed? Also.. I might need a place to sleep Saturday night as well... not sure what I'll do about that (maybe ask the student I'm staying with whether or not they would mind me hangin' 'round another night?). Teehee, I'm very much looking forward to this trip.

If you bring a guest with you, do they allow them to participate too?

Honestly not sure, as I attended alone last year. I would imagine they could probably sit in and observe, although I don't remember anyone else in my mock tutor group having a guest in the room with us. I can ask around and try to find out, though.

I RSVPed for the Feb 4-5 session... I requested to stay with a vet student for Thursday and Friday night... does anyone know when this might be confirmed? Also.. I might need a place to sleep Saturday night as well... not sure what I'll do about that (maybe ask the student I'm staying with whether or not they would mind me hangin' 'round another night?). Teehee, I'm very much looking forward to this trip.

I haven't (yet) volunteered to host that weekend (I'll be hosting for the Jan 28-29 session), but if you're really stuck and I'm in town I've got a pull-out couch, although I'm sure whoever you end up with would be cool with an extra night.

I am probably going to the 2nd session on February 4/5 :)

I just got sent the tentative schedule for the four information sessions. They start at 9:00 am each morning. Friday it goes till 5, and Saturday it goes to 10:30 with the tour.

I can't wait! :soexcited:

I haven't (yet) volunteered to host that weekend (I'll be hosting for the Jan 28-29 session), but if you're really stuck and I'm in town I've got a pull-out couch, although I'm sure whoever you end up with would be cool with an extra night.

Fantastic, thanks! :D

Silly Question: What do people wear to the information sessions? Is it pretty casual or should I fancy-up a little bit? Heh.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe someone can help me with this question:

Considering Cornell is a private university, why is out-of-state tuition more than in-state tuition? It isn't this way for undergrads and most of their graduate programs... Is the CVM somehow getting state-funding when the rest of the programs aren't?

Hey there! I'm a Cornell undergrad, so I can answer your question. Cornell does receive some state funding. Three of the seven undergraduate colleges are state-funded and the CVM is partially state-funded. For each of these schools, there is IS and OOS tuition. For the other 4 undergrad and all the other grad schools (law, medicine, etc.) there is no difference between IS and OOS.

Hey there! I'm a Cornell undergrad, so I can answer your question. Cornell does receive some state funding. Three of the seven undergraduate colleges are state-funded and the CVM is partially state-funded. For each of these schools, there is IS and OOS tuition. For the other 4 undergrad and all the other grad schools (law, medicine, etc.) there is no difference between IS and OOS.

Thanks for the clarification!

Silly Question: What do people wear to the information sessions? Is it pretty casual or should I fancy-up a little bit? Heh.

Most people were in regular clothes... nice jeans and a sweater, khakis if you want to really go crazy. You will spend most of Friday sitting in the lecture hall listening to people talk, so I would advise dressing comfortably but tastefully. I saw a very small number (1-2) people in suits the weekend I went, but they were waitlisters who were hoping to tip the scales in their favor (not sure if it made any difference, but I would assume probably not).

We got emails this week about volunteering to help facilitate your mock tutor group sessions! I have a class that conflicts, but I think I might skip it in order to help out with one of the later info sessions. :)

We got emails this week about volunteering to help facilitate your mock tutor group sessions! I have a class that conflicts, but I think I might skip it in order to help out with one of the later info sessions. :)

Hmm.. there's no way to prepare for the tutor sessions, is there? The mock one will be a good experience, but I guess I am thinking for before classes start in the fall.. I'm so excited/nervous :D

Hmm.. there's no way to prepare for the tutor sessions, is there? The mock one will be a good experience, but I guess I am thinking for before classes start in the fall.. I'm so excited/nervous :D

not really, no. you'll have a much better idea of the process after your mock session. tutor group is less about the actual cases (ie, it doesn't really matter if you know what the diagnosis is by the second page or the twelfth page) and more about what you learn (mostly about anatomy) from the case as a whole. one thing that i wish i had done was get myself a good collection of anatomy books before block 1 started so i didn't have to spend as much time at the library. that being said, you really don't have to buy ANY books, if you can't or don't want to - the library has a WIDE range of anatomy books, and plenty of them for everyone to use - as long as you don't mind being semi-dependent on the library to get your learning issues done. i personally didn't like being totally dependent on the library for anatomy texts, so i ended up buying a few used old editions. many of my classmates didn't buy a single book and were just fine. also, everyone seems to have different favorite anatomy book(s), so there's also something to be said for waiting until you start, trying out a few different books in the library to see which you like best, THEN picking some up IF you really want to.

sorry for the huge tangent. in summary, no, you can't really do anything to prepare yourself for tutor group. :)

I'm an alternate - OOS from NH. Anyone have any idea how many people are usually on the alternate list?

not really, no. you'll have a much better idea of the process after your mock session. tutor group is less about the actual cases (ie, it doesn't really matter if you know what the diagnosis is by the second page or the twelfth page) and more about what you learn (mostly about anatomy) from the case as a whole. one thing that i wish i had done was get myself a good collection of anatomy books before block 1 started so i didn't have to spend as much time at the library. that being said, you really don't have to buy ANY books, if you can't or don't want to - the library has a WIDE range of anatomy books, and plenty of them for everyone to use - as long as you don't mind being semi-dependent on the library to get your learning issues done. i personally didn't like being totally dependent on the library for anatomy texts, so i ended up buying a few used old editions. many of my classmates didn't buy a single book and were just fine. also, everyone seems to have different favorite anatomy book(s), so there's also something to be said for waiting until you start, trying out a few different books in the library to see which you like best, THEN picking some up IF you really want to.

sorry for the huge tangent. in summary, no, you can't really do anything to prepare yourself for tutor group. :)

Thanks for this - really helpful. I learn incredibly well at the library and by my senior year of undergrad the library was the only place I studied in, so I am a big fan :thumbup:. I had to buy all my textbooks because our school library only had one or two copies of the newest edition of each book and every student only had a two hour window in which to use these "reserved" books, so it is nice to hear this isn't the case at Cornell.

I have a question for those living in apartments in Ithaca - if you had to generalize, what is the average monthly rate for an apartment near campus? I've been trying to research the cost of living in order to make my decision, but have gotten wildly different estimates. For instance, here in Boston, a decent apartment semi close to my campus is about a 1000 dollars a month per person (i.e. studios are about 1000, 1br are 1000-1500, 2br are 2000-2500, etc) so if I see an apartment near campus listed as a 3br for only 1500 a month I know something's not right about it and its too good to be true...just wondering if it is the same way in Ithaca or if it really depends on the apartment and not on generalities.

I think it depends widely on how close to campus you want to be. This is speaking from my undergrad years there, but I remember if you live in collegetown they jack up the prices $900-1,000 for studio or 1bd I think. I remember a friend paying $850 for the tiniest studio I've seen (many undergrads move to collegetown area after freshman year and live in the 4 to 5 bdrm aparments). If you live near campus at a close driving distance you will likely get a better deal, but can't quote you on pricing. This was 5 years ago so maybe things are different now, but I thought I'd post anyway.

I think it depends widely on how close to campus you want to be. This is speaking from my undergrad years there, but I remember if you live in collegetown they jack up the prices $900-1,000 for studio or 1bd I think. I remember a friend paying $850 for the tiniest studio I've seen (many undergrads move to collegetown area after freshman year and live in the 4 to 5 bdrm aparments). If you live near campus at a close driving distance you will likely get a better deal, but can't quote you on pricing. This was 5 years ago so maybe things are different now, but I thought I'd post anyway.

Thank you. I continued my research and looks like everywhere I applied is cheaper than Boston (how surprising :rolleyes:) so I think I am going to just relax and decide which curriculum will be the best for me. I can't wait for the mock PBL session!

So... my W2 still hasn't arrived, and Cornell's due date for FAFSA and the PROFILE form is next Tuesday... I'm trying not to panic, but I was wondering if anyone knew how flexible they were with problems like this? I called the place where I worked last semester and apparently they sent it to the wrong address.

Trying hard not to panic... :scared:

So... my W2 still hasn't arrived, and Cornell's due date for FAFSA and the PROFILE form is next Tuesday... I'm trying not to panic, but I was wondering if anyone knew how flexible they were with problems like this? I called the place where I worked last semester and apparently they sent it to the wrong address.

Trying hard not to panic... :scared:

Ahhhh I am so glad you posted this because I only skimmed the fin aid packet and COMPLETELY missed this tidbit! I have not started either...

overall they're very patient and accommodating with finaid stuff. i *believe* (don't quote me on this) that you might be able to use your 2009 documents to estimate numbers for 2010, and then when you get your 2010 paperwork you just submit changes. with that being said, i'm horrible at finaid stuff and get a lot of help from my mom to make sure i don't screw it all up. :oops: just give the office a call, they're all very nice and it's their job to help you!

on an unrelated note, are any of you coming to the information session this weekend? i'll be a tour guide tomorrow afternoon (and possible saturday morning as well).

I actually called today because I also haven't received my tax forms yet either. They told me that you can use estimates/2009 information for your parents and fix it later, but your information should be exact. He also told me that you really have until February 15 to get your info in, but to do it as soon as possible and to call before then if you're having any problems.

In the yellow packet on page 2 I think in very faded print it says that the Feb 1 deadline is to help you get a package before April 15. I think otherwise, you can still submit after this date.

I think technically you can submit the FAFSA until June according to FAFSA website. I know as an undergrad there I never submitted it by the deadline and in fact usually a bit after and never had a problem. Not sure how different it is as a professional student. Also, obviously call the school for definite details.

Just started the CSS Profile tonight. Wowzers! After filling out the FAFSA for the past 4 years, I was taken aback by the sheer volume of CSS questions, not to mention the uber confusing details. But I shall stop complaining now, since I will hopefully be getting money in exchange for the laborious details. I, too, will be estimating absolutely every part of my parents information based on 2009 data, since my mom usually waits until April to do her taxes. But my information will be accurate. I doubt I will be done by the Feb 1st deadline though. It will likely be more like Feb 15. Alright, off to contact my brother is another state to request lots of personal financial details about his schooling for my form...:bang:

I am probably the only person who complains this much about requesting financial aid. :shrug:

So... I just got back from the information session this weekend! I really enjoyed it. The first day did involve a lot of sitting down, etc., but it wasn't as boring as I had been warned it might be. They have a few 15 min slots that are labelled "Focus on Faculty" on the itinerary. I found these very interesting - basically, we had different faculty present a little blurb on the research/work that they do in the University and how students can get involved. There was a geneticist that was studying identifying the chromosome for variation in horse size, a theriogenologist, and a couple others. The curriculum overview was very valuable - I had found the idea of PBL rather intimidating, but they explain a lot about how they structure their block system, how they balance lab, lecture and PBL simultaneously for different areas of the body in Block 1, and how their foundation and distribution courses work out. If anyone is interested in reading a bit more about this, I found the link to last year's student handbook:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/students/docs/FINALHandbookCL2014.pdf

The mock tutorial group session was also valuable. I felt very reassured by the entire process and I'm becoming very excited for classes to begin! Afterwards, we had the chance to ask a student panel more about their take on pbl as well as other things about living in Ithaca, etc.

The financial aid presentation seemed a bit intimidating, but they were very friendly in communicating about flexibility for form deadlines. Basically, the deadlines exist so that Cornell will be able to give us our financial aid packets some time in mid- to late- March. The reasoning behind this is that students who are on the fence between Cornell and another school(s) will have more information before they have to make their final decision. However, if you wait till after March 1st to get stuff in, you may miss out on receiving any grants/scholarships that are offered to other people who *did* have their information on time.

Though there was no official tour the first day, they did have "demonstrations" for us, where they walked us to different locations in the small and large animal hospitals. We got to see robo-Jerry, a dog robot that they use to simulate emergency situations so 3rd year students can experience them before going into clinics. We also got to see a video of a horse endoscopy and a teaching cow with a fistula for donating rumen bacteria to other cows. My favorite part of the day was a pathology demonstration where they went through different cases with us and presented the affected organs that had been preserved from the case. We even got to put on gloves and touch them afterwards! I didn't realize how fascinating pathology was, but I may definitely be interested in pursuing it in the future.

The next day there was more extensive touring. We got to go back through the small and large animal hospitals, the labs (which were awesome!!!) and other areas of the school. Be sure to ask your tour guide *lots* of questions - I got a lot of really valuable information.

I think that everyone would really enjoy the session. It was very exiting for me particularly because I've made the decision that I am *definitely* going to Cornell.

Hmm... that was a long post. If anyone has more questions, feel free to put them here and if I can answer them, I will! Otherwise, be looking forward to your session!

Today is my "filling out the FAFSA" day — am I just really bad at this, or is there actually no way of specifying College of Vet Med on the School Selection section? In a packet I received from Cornell, they gave me the school code, which I entered, but it just says "Cornell University" and there does not seem to be a way to make it specifically the CVM... help!

I think that everyone would really enjoy the session. It was very exiting for me particularly because I've made the decision that I am *definitely* going to Cornell.!

YAY and congrats on your decision!! I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend! Not sure if I met you (I was a tour guide for the Friday afternoon demonstrations) but if not, I'll see you next year!

Today is my "filling out the FAFSA" day — am I just really bad at this, or is there actually no way of specifying College of Vet Med on the School Selection section? In a packet I received from Cornell, they gave me the school code, which I entered, but it just says "Cornell University" and there does not seem to be a way to make it specifically the CVM... help!

I just entered the code they gave us - it only says Cornell University for me too, but if that is the code they gave us, that is what everyone will use, so we will all be in the same boat. I wouldn't worry about it not saying CVM. Just like the GRE codes - some schools had a separate CVM code, and some did not, but all schools received my scores. Hope that helps!

@PendantWorld - Thanks for the info! I am very much looking forward to the session. Cornell seems really well organized and the adcom puts a lot of thought into making the process as easy and helpful as possible for applicants, which I love (case in point - the incredibly helpful fin aid packet they sent us, in addition to allowing *everything* related to the admissions and decision process to be done online). Your review of the session reinforces this, and it is a huge plus for me!

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing:

The faculty are AWESOME! They seem to really want to know every student. Walking in on Friday morning, three of them immediately introduced themselves. One of them had been on the admissions committee. Not only did he remember my application, he immediately began referencing specific things I had written and telling me some stuff about the school that I might find interesting!

Oh, and I just finished my FAFSA and PROFILE. I was able to get a copy of my W2 and did my taxes today as well. Now my brain feels like melting...

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing:

The faculty are AWESOME! They seem to really want to know every student. Walking in on Friday morning, three of them immediately introduced themselves. One of them had been on the admissions committee. Not only did he remember my application, he immediately began referencing specific things I had written and telling me some stuff about the school that I might find interesting!

Oh, and I just finished my FAFSA and PROFILE. I was able to get a copy of my W2 and did my taxes today as well. Now my brain feels like melting...

EEK! I'm so excited to attend the information session next week! Sounds like it's going to be great. I think I'll really love the school... I'm just scared about the tuition! :laugh:

Finishing up the PROFILE now... UGH! Those are the only two they really want in by the end of January, right? The SSPI, W-2 Statements, and tax returns can wait...? Though it says your file isn't considered under review until all the documents are in...? This is all a big headache to me. :confused:

Finishing up the PROFILE now... UGH! Those are the only two they really want in by the end of January, right? The SSPI, W-2 Statements, and tax returns can wait...? Though it says your file isn't considered under review until all the documents are in...? This is all a big headache to me. :confused:

I am mailing my stuff out tomorrow (W2 and tax return) and writing the SSPI this week, but they are not due until February 15th. They want everything by March 1st. They said at the information session that your FAFSA and PROFILE do not show up on the tracking page right away - it might take until mid-February. If they are not on the tracking page by March then we are supposed to call the financial aid office.

I completely sympathize with the headache....

I stumbled across this blog from the head of admissions at Cornell. It seems to be a lot about the history of the college and vet med :)love: for history buffs like me. He does, however, make a brief mention of us applicants.

blog: http://veterinarylegacy.blogspot.com/

.Quote from blog: Today's candidates more commonly receive their acceptances by password-secured e-mail. However, for the last few years I was dean, I personally telephoned as many accepted candidates as I could reach during the week assigned for notification. The surprise and joy at the other end of the line was an experience I looked forward to each year..

.Reactions varied, of course. One woman cried for three minutes without uttering a coherent word before she finally decided to hang up. A man was so convinced that I was one of this fraternity brothers playing a trick on him that he shared some unprintable words before he, too, hung up. These were the exceptions, the more common reactions being surprise on being accepted and gratitude on hearing it through personal contact. Together, they created an indelible memory. .​

I'm so afraid I'm going to fall in love with the school and I can only afford to go there if my fiance gets a good postdoc in the area (he does have some leads...:xf:).

A man was so convinced that I was one of this fraternity brothers playing a trick on him that he shared some unprintable words before he, too, hung up.

Ahaha, I want to meet that kid! :laugh:

I stumbled across this blog from the head of admissions at Cornell. It seems to be a lot about the history of the college and vet med :)love: for history buffs like me. He does, however, make a brief mention of us applicants.

have you attended an accepted students info session weekend already or do you plan to this month? dean smith's history course is 5:30 to 6:45 thursday evening and he loves when prospective students sit in on it. for anyone coming to the info session next weekend or the weekend after, feel free to come to his class (seriously, he LOVES IT). if you're staying with a student host you can ask them about it, but if anyone isn't and would still like to come to the class PM me and you can come along with me. :) i'm actually not so crazy about history myself, but this class is really really interesting, and dean smith is just amazing.

have you attended an accepted students info session weekend already or do you plan to this month? dean smith's history course is 5:30 to 6:45 thursday evening and he loves when prospective students sit in on it. for anyone coming to the info session next weekend or the weekend after, feel free to come to his class (seriously, he LOVES IT). if you're staying with a student host you can ask them about it, but if anyone isn't and would still like to come to the class PM me and you can come along with me. :) i'm actually not so crazy about history myself, but this class is really really interesting, and dean smith is just amazing.

Aw, bummer - I am coming to an accepted students weekend, but my flight doesn't get in until late Thurs night. Otherwise, I'd totally love to visit that class! Is the course the history of vet med? or more specific? I'm really looking forward to visiting - Cornell has pretty much everything I was hoping for in a vet school. And now find out it has a history class too?! :laugh:

I saw a some people ask about housing and as an Senior at Ithaca College I can have some imput.

-Housing in Ithaca is more expensive than it should be. Having two universities in the same town with a large student population of kids who (let's be real) have rich parents landlords can pretty much charge what they want. If you are looking for a one bedroom anything decent is going to be at least $650/month (usually not including utilities). If you head out of the town a little way there is some cheaper housing but just realize there is NOTHING outside of Ithaca so you will want to remain close to the town if you want anything close to a social life.

- There are some places that you MUST eat at and these include (but are not limited to): Taste of Thai (Commons), Viva (Mexican food on commons), Aladin's (Mediterranean food in Collegetown), New Delhi Diamond (Indian food just off of commons). The food in Ithaca is GREAT.

-If you are just in town for a few days a really quick way to get a glimpse of the beautiful waterfalls/gorges is to check out Buttermilk Falls. Just take Rt 13 South and it is across from Home Depot (or maybe Lowes? One of those.) It's not even five minutes out of town and you can almost see the spectacular waterfall from the road. No promises of how great they will be when it's frozen...

-My intention isn't to advertise myself, but if anyone is interested I live in a 4 bedroom house on South Hill (107 Grandview Pl) and my housemates are Juniors so they are looking for someone to take my room for next year. My house mates never have parties and its always nice and quiet for studying. It's $525/month but its a nice big house at the end of a dead end side street with plenty of parking and a backyard. The landlord let's me keep a dog. He's a pretty chill dude. It's EASY walking distance to the commons. It's right by IC campus but I worked at Cornell Vet School last year and drove there several times per day and it takes about 10 minutes to drive across town. Not bad at all. Not saying it's your number one choice but feel free to contact me if you are at all interested.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to live in the dorms as a veterinary student?

Thanks!

Such great information in here!

Aw, bummer - I am coming to an accepted students weekend, but my flight doesn't get in until late Thurs night. Otherwise, I'd totally love to visit that class! Is the course the history of vet med? or more specific? I'm really looking forward to visiting - Cornell has pretty much everything I was hoping for in a vet school. And now find out it has a history class too?! :laugh:

The course is basically the history of vet med, although it is pretty Cornell-centric. But overall it talks about how the profession began and how it has evolved/continues to evolve based on society's needs.

The information session was really great, especially the mock tutor session.. I didn't realize how much I would actually enjoy it, considering how nervous I was beforehand. Now onto finding housing... ugh, not looking forward to it!

Lookin forward to the start of the c/o 2015 listserv :D

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to live in the dorms as a veterinary student?!

i don't know of a single veterinary student who lives in cornell grad housing. in fact, it didn't really occur to me that cornell even has grad housing until i read this (haha). i honestly don't know much about it, but it's not too conveniently located relative to the vet school (you'd still either have to take the bus or buy a parking permit if you wanted to drive). although i also don't know anything about cost, i wouldn't be surprised if it was just as/almost as expensive as most off-campus housing. that was the case with the grad housing at penn when i was a grad student there, and it felt very dorm-like (i didn't live there but i had friends who did). chances are also pretty good that grad housing is not pet friendly. i'd recommend sticking to off-campus options.

I'm not sure if grad housing exists either. I'll have to ask at the information session.

I really don't know who I would even room with off campus. Kind of a weird situation...

I'm not sure if grad housing exists either. I'll have to ask at the information session.

I really don't know who I would even room with off campus. Kind of a weird situation...

It does, I just had to look it up: http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/gradhousing.cfm

as for who to live with, very few of the people I know here knew their roommates before moving in together. Once the listserv is started for the class of 2015, you'll be flooded with e-mails from upperclassmen looking to fill open rooms in their houses, and more than likely some of your classmates will go out and find multiple bedroom places and then look for roommates. Then it's just a matter of talking to and/or meeting them to figure out if they're someone you'd like to live with. There's also the option of living alone, it's just a bit more expensive.

Thanks a bunch. I'll have to look at all of that when I get some free time :)!

Very helpful!

So... a facebook group has been made for c/o 2015 Cornell students! If you go to the facebook page for Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, one of the posts is a student who has made a fb group for us.

It's a closed group, but once you've joined you can invite other people who know that they're coming to Cornell's cvm in August.