Jan 7, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So much fun! I loved the tour and I loved the school(as I knew I would).

The faculty is amazing and so easy to talk to, they make you want to hang out with them and ask them questions.

The pbl sample was really fun. Got a good understanding of what to expect and it seems fresh and extremely effective. The cases you learn basically become a part of you that you can look back on when you are actually a veterinarian.

I look forward to meeting my future classmates!

Last edited:
About the Ads

turnbackhelly

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
NY
Status
Veterinary Student
Also, does anyone have any tips for getting the rabies vaccine?

Thanks!
I ended up having to get them at Cornell because I didn't have my act together last summer, haha. By the time I got around to looking into it, it was kind of too late to start the series before coming to school. It was about $850 here. I'd call your health insurance company and see what options exist for you. The cheapest I could find it at home was $233 per shot (x 3 shots) which in the end isn't really any cheaper than what I paid Cornell for it. Basically it's a pain in the butt - that's really my only tip. :oops:

Shadow23

Cornell CVM C/O 2015!!!
Dec 19, 2010
Boston, MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I went to the welcome weekend last week and I am completely sold. PBL is definitely right for me and I cannot wait to begin classes! Just like the above posters said, Cornell really did a great job with that weekend. So informative and extremely helpful in my decision. I didn't think my final tipping point between amazing schools would be a gut feeling, but it really was just that. I am in love with Cornell and felt right at home already :love:

rosyreef

Cornell CVM c/o 2015
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2010
Status
I went to the welcome weekend last week and I am completely sold. PBL is definitely right for me and I cannot wait to begin classes! Just like the above posters said, Cornell really did a great job with that weekend. So informative and extremely helpful in my decision. I didn't think my final tipping point between amazing schools would be a gut feeling, but it really was just that. I am in love with Cornell and felt right at home already :love:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Aug 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
:thumbup::thumbup: Congrats on making a decision, Shadow!! I must've been at the same info weekend as you (the one with all the snow, right?). I also had a very strong gut reaction that I'd really like Cornell. It sold itself well - especially the students on Sat morning and the mock PBL - and made me feel like they really wanted us to come there. I think I'll wind up deciding between my IS and Cornell. My IS, which also doesn't interview, is another very good school but they've had NO communication with us since we got in, and I've had a hard time finding out anything more about their program, their students, etc. Cornell is also 400 miles from my fiancee's job, while my IS is 1600 mi. away. Gah. I hate life decisions. :confused:

Anyhow, congrats on your choice and I may either join you or be jealous of you :p

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
I have to say... I loved Cornell when I visited it. I would go there in a heartbeat if it weren't for two concerns (which actually don't even have anything to do with the school itself):

1. Cold, cold, cold! I'm from SoCal... so the winters are a bit intimidating! I know there Californians surviving just fine out there... but it would be a huge shock (and I'd have to buy an entirely new wardrobe...).

2. Far from family! I am very close to my family, who all live in LA/Orange County, and living on the opposite coast would mean I couldn't visit them very often. If I go to my IS (fingers crossed that I may be accepted there as well) I would only be a 6hr drive away.

Does anyone have an advice about how they dealt with either of these issues or how important these issues were in making their decision?

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have to say... I loved Cornell when I visited it. I would go there in a heartbeat if it weren't for two concerns (which actually don't even have anything to do with the school itself):

1. Cold, cold, cold! I'm from SoCal... so the winters are a bit intimidating! I know there Californians surviving just fine out there... but it would be a huge shock (and I'd have to buy an entirely new wardrobe...).

2. Far from family! I am very close to my family, who all live in LA/Orange County, and living on the opposite coast would mean I couldn't visit them very often. If I go to my IS (fingers crossed that I may be accepted there as well) I would only be a 6hr drive away.

Does anyone have an advice about how they dealt with either of these issues or how important these issues were in making their decision?

Thanks!
I haven't lived in NY myself, but I did go to undergrad in Minnesota at a school that drew students pretty nationally. And really, almost everyone is able to adjust to the cold, even if they didn't love it. A lot of people even found ways to enjoy the cold - half our club women's hockey team was from places that didn't even get natural ice :laugh:, plus snowshoing, XC skiing, broomball, sledding, etc. Now, Minnesota is often sunny when its really cold (unlike, I think, NY) which helps the mood, but also gets waaay colder than NY. Ithaca seemed pretty well set up for winter, which really helps (holy efficient plowing! My current city gets snow regularly but can't plow worth a damn). Just watch out for your winter utilities bill!

But still, :xf: for you and Davis! :)

No help on #2. My family is so scattered it's never been an issue for me.

rosyreef

Cornell CVM c/o 2015
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2010
Status
I grew up (for the most part) in Arizona before moving to New England.. the change in climate was harsh to say the least. I've since lived in a few other states in the Northeast/Midwest and I still have a hard time dealing with the cold! I try to stock up on a few warmer items during spring/summer when things are on sale, but I did eventually force myself to invest in a pair of snow boots. I still find myself wearing ridiculous amounts of clothes in comparison to others during winter and I always feel cold.. but the spring/summer/fall seasons in upstate NY are totally, TOTALLY worth it. :cool:

I've been a 6/7 hour drive away from my immediate family throughout both undergrad and grad school, which isn't the same as living on an opposite coast for at least 4 years, but.. The fact that my family now lives only an hour away from Cornell was a big factor in my deciding to go to there versus staying in Ohio.

Good luck with UC Davis! I hope everything works out the best for you :)

Shadow23

Cornell CVM C/O 2015!!!
Dec 19, 2010
Boston, MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
:thumbup::thumbup: Congrats on making a decision, Shadow!! I must've been at the same info weekend as you (the one with all the snow, right?). I also had a very strong gut reaction that I'd really like Cornell. It sold itself well - especially the students on Sat morning and the mock PBL - and made me feel like they really wanted us to come there. I think I'll wind up deciding between my IS and Cornell. My IS, which also doesn't interview, is another very good school but they've had NO communication with us since we got in, and I've had a hard time finding out anything more about their program, their students, etc. Cornell is also 400 miles from my fiancee's job, while my IS is 1600 mi. away. Gah. I hate life decisions. :confused:

Anyhow, congrats on your choice and I may either join you or be jealous of you :p
Haha yes, the one with the blizzard! It made site-seeing that weekend extra pretty though. What a tough decision! If your in-state is cheaper I'd make that a huge factor in my decision, but it sounds like your fiancee being farther away probably cancels that out. Ah hard! I was "lucky" that I have no instate school so I got to decide purely on what school was the better fit for me. And yes, I've had a similar experience with schools that don't reach out, and I mentioned to the dean at Cornell that how proactive they were in interacting with future students and answering questions and just how EXCITED everyone was to pick out this class was a huge factor in my decision. They really did a good job with the whole "family feeling." Good luck with your decision! Make a weighted pro/con list and just go by that. I hope to see you at Cornell this fall!

Jan 7, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
One thing to note is how centralized the building is. Once you get to school you don't have to step outside at all, which is especially useful in the winter! Really awesome selling point IMO.

turnbackhelly

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
NY
Status
Veterinary Student
Does Cornell video lectures and put them online for students to view later?
Unfortunately not. But keep in mind that, compared to most other schools, we have very few lectures, so I guess it's not really worth the technological effort. I thought this would bother me since a lot of other schools do it but I've found that it's actually not a big deal. Plus, it makes me go to class. :)

rubygirl

Cornell C/O 2015!!!!
Apr 20, 2011
Status
Veterinary Student
i was recently admitted to the Cornell dvm class of 2015. i have been added to the list serve but dont know how to actually post on it. im trying to figure out housing, but dont have a way to actually contact people. i have been getting tons of emails so know that i am added but cant send the mass emails. any help would be greatly appreciated

About the Ads