This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pistachio556

Reaction score
Hello all!

Struggling on some of the supplemental essays...

Having a hard time with the significant impact and odds against me situation ones. It’s suprisingly hard to think of responses

Wondering if anyone else could shed some light on what they wrote about

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

Having a hard time with the significant impact and odds against me situation ones. It’s suprisingly hard to think of responses

I am also applying to Cornell this cycle. I haven’t figured out the significant impact all the way you can definitely bounce ideas if you need to. And I’ve had several personal things that have happened and I was going to use one of those, because in the nature of what they are you kinda have to figure out a way to get around it or get through it.

Hello all!

They like to see you facing a difficult challenge and overcoming it. I discussed my diagnosis of anxiety during freshman year of college and having to relearn how to study while also self-caring. Make it unique to you, of course, but Cornell’s program is really rigorous so they want to see that you can succeed in the face of adversity!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, they seem like really easy questions, but they definitely make you think...

I was a transfer student from a different major to Bio, but idk if that qualifies as “odds stacked against me”...

For the significant impact one, I was thinking about talking about how I was a tutor and helped a struggling student

But again, not sure how worthy experiences like these are... you know what I mean? Cornell is one of my top choices and I feel good about my essays for other schools, but Cornell’s are hard

Yeah, they seem like really easy questions, but they definitely make you think...

I was a transfer student from a different major to Bio, but idk if that qualifies as “odds stacked against me”...

For the significant impact one, I was thinking about talking about how I was a tutor and helped a struggling student

But again, not sure how worthy experiences like these are... you know what I mean? Cornell is one of my top choices and I feel good about my essays for other schools, but Cornell’s are hard
Yeah they definitely challenge you, I’ve been staring at them for awhile so I totally get where you’re coming from

Yeah they definitely challenge you, I’ve been staring at them for awhile so I totally get where you’re coming from
Is the consensus that mixed responses (life and animal related) are the best way to respond?

As in, I shouldn’t write only about animal related stuff in my essay responses

Is the consensus that mixed responses (life and animal related) are the best way to respond?

As in, I shouldn’t write only about animal related stuff in my essay responses
I mean I’m sure if you only had animal things that fit the essay then that’s what you have to go with and I doubt it would hurt you if they were good responses.

Me personally I will have a mix of responses. I don’t want to force a theme if that makes sense like if I ended up with no animal responses I wouldn’t want to force one just to be a bad essay. But I could be way off here

I mean I’m sure if you only had animal things that fit the essay then that’s what you have to go with and I doubt it would hurt you if they were good responses.

Me personally I will have a mix of responses. I don’t want to force a theme if that makes sense like if I ended up with no animal responses I wouldn’t want to force one just to be a bad essay. But I could be way off here
The way I read them is mainly the same... they’re life experiences. So if that happens to be with animals then so be it, but if not then it’s not a problem. I’ll have a mix as well

Hey all, so I just thought I'd let you know what I wrote my essays about just to see if it helps you at all :)

A. Describe a situation in which your actions have had a significant impact
I wrote about when I left for college how, as the oldest, my parents and little sister felt that it would be very difficult to adjust. So, I wrote them "Open when..." letters. They might say "open when...you miss me" or "open when...you need to laugh". I wrote about how these letters impacted my family and how my sister recommended I write this essay on that topic because of how much they helped her and my parents.

B. Describe a situation where you have learned from experience
I wrote about how when I was assisting with a hectic lambing my school's farm vet scolded me and reminded me that "you always have time to glove". I wrote about how I passed on that knowledge to my students whom I TAed for and I said exactly what I learned.
"I learned from Dr. ______ the importance of remaining calm, having patience, and thinking clearly under pressure."

C. Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you
I spoke about my journey with soccer and how I started off as a terrible player (to be fair, I was 5 haha but I wrote that in there with some humor: "Even thought no 5-year-old is good at soccer, it was horribly apparent from the beginning that I had absolutely zero talent.")
I spoke how, at the age of 11, I started to train myself harder because I wanted to get better and I caught the eyes of 2 notable trainers. I spoke of how they offered to train me and later offered me training jobs and how it led me to get onto a premier soccer team, win a scholarships, and multiple championships. I finished the essay with this:
"Although I decided not to play soccer in college, I did learn to believe in myself and my ability to overcome seemingly insuperable obstacles, which has made me a confident and strong person."

Di. Describe a challenge or problem you have faced in the past and how you reached a solution.
In this one, I spoke of how I obtained 2 minors in undergrad (Biology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). Biochem ended up hurting my GPA a decent amount, but I turned it around in the essay to say that I decided to persevere with this minor because it was a weakness that I needed to overcome, which I did.

Dii. If you had to face this challenge again, would you do anything differently and why?
I said how I do not regret the decision to earn a Biochemistry minor so, on that front, I wouldn't change a thing. But I said that I would change the way I approached the classes and I would try to find new study techniques. I ended the essay with this:
"Even though I’ve completed the Biochemistry minor, I’m taking the Biochemistry Lab this year because I want to continue to strengthen my laboratory skills. I believe it’s important to never stop striving to become better because there is always more to learn."

I hope this helps you guys and feel free to ask me any questions :) I'll be starting orientation on Thursday!! Wish me luck :) :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, so I just thought I'd let you know what I wrote my essays about just to see if it helps you at all :)

A. Describe a situation in which your actions have had a significant impact
I wrote about when I left for college how, as the oldest, my parents and little sister felt that it would be very difficult to adjust. So, I wrote them "Open when..." letters. They might say "open when...you miss me" or "open when...you need to laugh". I wrote about how these letters impacted my family and how my sister recommended I write this essay on that topic because of how much they helped her and my parents.

B. Describe a situation where you have learned from experience
I wrote about how when I was assisting with a hectic lambing my school's farm vet scolded me and reminded me that "you always have time to glove". I wrote about how I passed on that knowledge to my students whom I TAed for and I said exactly what I learned.
"I learned from Dr. ______ the importance of remaining calm, having patience, and thinking clearly under pressure."

C. Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you
I spoke about my journey with soccer and how I started off as a terrible player (to be fair, I was 5 haha but I wrote that in there with some humor: "Even thought no 5-year-old is good at soccer, it was horribly apparent from the beginning that I had absolutely zero talent.")
I spoke how, at the age of 11, I started to train myself harder because I wanted to get better and I caught the eyes of 2 notable trainers. I spoke of how they offered to train me and later offered me training jobs and how it led me to get onto a premier soccer team, win a scholarships, and multiple championships. I finished the essay with this:
"Although I decided not to play soccer in college, I did learn to believe in myself and my ability to overcome seemingly insuperable obstacles, which has made me a confident and strong person."

Di. Describe a challenge or problem you have faced in the past and how you reached a solution.
In this one, I spoke of how I obtained 2 minors in undergrad (Biology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). Biochem ended up hurting my GPA a decent amount, but I turned it around in the essay to say that I decided to persevere with this minor because it was a weakness that I needed to overcome, which I did.

Dii. If you had to face this challenge again, would you do anything differently and why?
I said how I do not regret the decision to earn a Biochemistry minor so, on that front, I wouldn't change a thing. But I said that I would change the way I approached the classes and I would try to find new study techniques. I ended the essay with this:
"Even though I’ve completed the Biochemistry minor, I’m taking the Biochemistry Lab this year because I want to continue to strengthen my laboratory skills. I believe it’s important to never stop striving to become better because there is always more to learn."

I hope this helps you guys and feel free to ask me any questions :) I'll be starting orientation on Thursday!! Wish me luck :) :xf:
Awesome! And congrats by the way! :) Definitely think the minors helped :p

My second one is similar in a way to yours.. and after some hard thought, I think I’m slowly getting decent ideas for the others

When did you hear back, if you don’t mind me asking? And I’m assuming they called?

Awesome! And congrats by the way! :) Definitely think the minors helped

My second one is similar in a way to yours.. and after some hard thought, I think I’m slowly getting decent ideas for the others

When did you hear back, if you don’t mind me asking? And I’m assuming they called?
Thank you :)
You usually get a call on the first Monday of January. But since that was new years, I got a call on January 2nd :) they do make calls throughout the week! They were the first school I had heard back from (and it's my IS!)

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Ugh the week before is going to be so stressful! I’ll be an OOS applicant so not sure who they call and in what order, but hopefully I won’t panic too much if I don’t hear right away

They offer tours/meetings with advisors but haven’t found the time yet to schedule days off to go up there. Not sure if it’s an advantage at all to do one of those to get my name out there

Ugh the week before is going to be so stressful! I’ll be an OOS applicant so not sure who they call and in what order, but hopefully I won’t panic too much if I don’t hear right away

They offer tours/meetings with advisors but haven’t found the time yet to schedule days off to go up there. Not sure if it’s an advantage at all to do one of those to get my name out there
It can never hurt to make yourself known :) the admissions team is so friendly and personable :) just don't badger anyone by calling every day asking if they forgot to call you with your acceptance

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really struggling with Cornell's essays. They are the only thing I need to complete before submitting my app. I cannot think of anything worthwhile to write. I honestly cannot think of a time where circumstances where against me or a challenge/ problem I have faced. Anybody have tips on overcoming writer's block?

Reactions: 2 users
I am really struggling with Cornell's essays. They are the only thing I need to complete before submitting my app. I cannot think of anything worthwhile to write. I honestly cannot think of a time where circumstances where against me or a challenge/ problem I have faced. Anybody have tips on overcoming writer's block?

What I found helpful in finally deciding what to write in mine is to not think of it as a competition. They are not going to judge you over whether your “challenge” was more drastic that someone else... they just want to see you in a difficult situation and how you handled being there.

So don’t worry about what exactly happened... for example, for a challenge/problem: maybe you let your sports team down or maybe you lost your best friend or your parents divorced or you struggled in a particular class/job. Try thinking of little, relatable problems rather than thinking of big problems

This 1200 character limit is super tough guys :thinking:

This 1200 character limit is super tough guys :thinking:

It is, but you can do it! My suggestion would be to write as much as you need to without worrying about the limit and then have a proofreader cut it down for you. I would be happy to help if you need!

Reactions: 1 users
It is, but you can do it! My suggestion would be to write as much as you need to without worrying about the limit and then have a proofreader cut it down for you. I would be happy to help if you need!
Can I take you up on this offer? It would be a HUGE help! I'm hoping to have everything *mostly* done by the end of today and I could send you my google doc then.
THANK YOU!

This might sound silly, but one of the most helpful thing I've found for the supplemental essays is just thinking out loud about stuff (probably best not to do this in public). It lets your mind naturally wander and flow and eventually you'll hit on something you can use. Works a lot better than just staring at a blank screen hoping for inspiration. Hope that helps, and good luck everyone!

Can I take you up on this offer? It would be a HUGE help! I'm hoping to have everything *mostly* done by the end of today and I could send you my google doc then.
THANK YOU!

Omg, I'm sorry, I didn't see this til now. If you still need me to look them over I'm happy to - just private message it to me. sooooooo sorry once again :(

January can't come soon enough.... I am dying to know whether or not I got in!

Anyone know if vet students are required to pass the swim test?
I mean, I know I could, but I’d rather not have to haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if vet students are required to pass the swim test?
I mean, I know I could, but I’d rather not have to haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just undergrads, don't worry, lol

Okay but like

Why do they even have a swim test that undergrads have to pass

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't make da rulez

edit: I didn't have to take one because I was a transfer student

It just is a strange rule
What happens if you DON’T pass????

They have it apparently bc a first year fell into a lake and didn’t know how to swim and drowned, and his parents had a ton of $$ and had the school implement a swimming requirement.

If you don’t pass, you have to take a swim class.

Apparently the test is swimming like 2 laps in a normal pool. Pretty much “can you get in water and not drown”

(This info is from a close friend who went to Cornell undergrad, I don’t know this first hand)

They have it apparently bc a first year fell into a lake and didn’t know how to swim and drowned, and his parents had a ton of $$ and had the school implement a swimming requirement.

Apparently the test is swimming like 2 laps in a normal pool. Pretty much “can you get in water and not drown”

(This info is from a close friend who went to Cornell undergrad, I don’t know this first hand)
.......weird.......

Maybe teach your kid to not go near water if they don’t know how to swim or teach them yourselves?

Yep, pretty much, although when I did it it was 3 times across the pool (so like 75m). To add to this, Cornell is big on producing “well rounded” students, so that’s another reason for it. Gorge jumping is also something people do in the summer, so it probably relates to that as well.

Gorge jumping

technically not allowed (illegal, even?), but yes I suppose the swim test could be seen as a preventive measure ... though no matter how well you can swim you can still die in a gorge

Hey guys! I'm a first year student currently procrastinating studying for our huge block 1 final this week by coming on here... lol but if anyone has any questions about anything please reach out! I remember being so incredibly anxious from September when I submitted all the way up until January 3rd when I got the call, so I definitely know how you feel right now! Overall I'm absolutely loving the program so far:)

Also about the swim test... it's also a historical tradition thing for the university. They started the test in the early 1900s for men to prepare for the military, and then some woman proposed they start it for girls too to produce "well rounded women" lol

Hey guys! I'm a first year student currently procrastinating studying for our huge block 1 final this week by coming on here... lol but if anyone has any questions about anything please reach out! I remember being so incredibly anxious from September when I submitted all the way up until January 3rd when I got the call, so I definitely know how you feel right now! Overall I'm absolutely loving the program so far:)
Girl, I'm there :p

I have friends that go to cornell for undergrad that did not have to take a swim test. they had never even heard of it

Has anyone seen an accepted student profile/statistic for vet students that were accepted to cornell in past years? A lot of other schools provide statistics of the average gpa, etc of their incoming class but I can't seem to find one for cornell.

Has anyone seen an accepted student profile/statistic for vet students that were accepted to cornell in past years? A lot of other schools provide statistics of the average gpa, etc of their incoming class but I can't seem to find one for cornell.

This is a screenshot from their scopes magazine with the class of 2021 statistics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180530-140932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180530-140932_Chrome.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 238
Look here. You just have to Ctrl+F for Cornell. My stats are on page 5 and BigRedEquine's stats are on page 2, those are the only cornell attending stats I know of, but it's also helpful to see the stats of people who applied and didn't get in. Also, just know that stats aren't everything and every application is different. :)

Look here. You just have to Ctrl+F for Cornell. My stats are on page 5 and BigRedEquine's stats are on page 2, those are the only cornell attending stats I know of, but it's also helpful to see the stats of people who applied and didn't get in. Also, just know that stats aren't everything and every application is different. :)
Yes!! I also want to add that Cornell definitely values diversity and takes your essay responses/LORs very seriously! You can see by looking at my stats in that thread that my GPA is very very average (honestly kind of below average), but I had a pretty good GRE, great LORs and experiences, and worked really hard on my essays. My class is so diverse with people of all different ages and backgrounds, which goes to show how much they value unique applicants!

Applied! Obsessed with Cornell, this semester is dragging to January. Even convinced a recruiter for their graduate school to give me their table cloth!!

Yes!! I also want to add that Cornell definitely values diversity and takes your essay responses/LORs very seriously! You can see by looking at my stats in that thread that my GPA is very very average (honestly kind of below average), but I had a pretty good GRE, great LORs and experiences, and worked really hard on my essays. My class is so diverse with people of all different ages and backgrounds, which goes to show how much they value unique applicants!
I got in with a very low GRE verbal score so anyone has a shot! And I'm OOS.

I'm praying everyday I get up <3

**still compulsively refreshing my email**

Their site says they send decisions in January, and I've seen elsewhere it's usually like the day after New year's

I'm praying everyday I get up <3

Yeah I got my call last year on January 3rd (some also got it on the 2nd), so I wouldn't compulsively check your email just yet! I know how hard it is waiting though

Yeah I got my call last year on January 3rd (some also got it on the 2nd), so I wouldn't compulsively check your email just yet! I know how hard it is waiting though
Yeah it's my signature on here! Waiting to hear back from 5 different schools but really hoping for Cornell more than anything. January 3rd is circled alot on my calendar! I hope for it every day though, I've had a really bad past and that has really limited my application on many levels so I'm hoping they see my determination not the scores :)

Yeah it's my signature on here! Waiting to hear back from 5 different schools but really hoping for Cornell more than anything. January 3rd is circled alot on my calendar! I hope for it every day though, I've had a really bad past and that has really limited my application on many levels so I'm hoping they see my determination not the scores :)

Yep, same here haha. I check like every day, every hour, etc. Juuuuust in case :p

Heyy y'all, OOS applicant here! Also compulsively refreshing my email and SDN lol.

Yep, same here haha. I check like every day, every hour, etc. Juuuuust in case :p
Heyy y'all, OOS applicant here! Also compulsively refreshing my email and SDN lol.

I know this probably isn't the most helpful, but I can confirm to you guys that it's definitely still awhile off (I'd expect the normal after new years date), so give those fingers and browsers a break from the constant refreshing! Best of luck to you both though, everything will be ok!

Does anyone know if Cornell requires you to send fall grades? I know you have to send final transcripts by June 15th but do they want anything else before that?