This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Cornell requires you to send fall grades? I know you have to send final transcripts by June 15th but do they want anything else before that?
I asked them this and they said no, don't bother sending because they won't be added to your file.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else applying for dvm/PhD?

**still compulsively refreshing my email**

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!

**still compulsively refreshing my email**

No problem. What are you hoping to research? And what kind of research experience did you have? We can PM but I’m just wondering if I’m competitive.

No problem. What are you hoping to research? And what kind of research experience did you have? We can PM but I’m just wondering if I’m competitive.

I specified an interest in Bio-Psych but i am also an avid lover of honeybees and they just opened up a new class with Honeybee health so i would assume i could also possibly work with the honeybee hive with Thomas Seeley which would be like a dream!

I specified an interest in Bio-Psych but i am also an avid lover of honeybees and they just opened up a new class with Honeybee health so i would assume i could also possibly work with the honeybee hive with Thomas Seeley which would be like a dream!
Ooo the state of NY currently has a special interest in honeybees and apiaries so I hope you discussed it on your application! There is definitely a need for bee people here.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Ooo the state of NY currently has a special interest in honeybees and apiaries so I hope you discussed it on your application! There is definitely a need for bee people here.

I didn't mention it on my PhD application but my DVM application mentions it a bunch. I'm doing my undergrad at Clarkson University and founded the universities bee keeping club and installed soon to be 3 hives on campus and built community outreach to help others begin beekeeping

I didn't mention it on my PhD application but my DVM application mentions it a bunch. I'm doing my undergrad at Clarkson University and founded the universities bee keeping club and installed soon to be 3 hives on campus and built community outreach to help others begin beekeeping

That is AWESOME and I think Cornell will LOVE it.

Just curious do we know if there a phone call vs an email? I just need to know if after the first of the year I need to be prepared to have a stroke xD

Just curious do we know if there a phone call vs an email? I just need to know if after the first of the year I need to be prepared to have a stroke xD
I think I remember seeing that acceptances get a phone call and rejections get an email, but I might be mistaken.

It's still a phone call for acceptance as far as we know! It gets followed up by an email a few days later :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think it will be January 2nd, not the first. The staff probably have off new years day :)

Reactions: 2 users
I definitely assume numbers I dont know are spam

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely assume numbers I dont know are spam

I have been picking up every strange number that calls me because it could be a veterinary school.... So far, all of them have been spam except 1 from a vet school lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I have been picking up every strange number that calls me because it could be a veterinary school.... So far, all of them have been spam except 1 from a vet school lol.
Cornell is the only school im expecting a call from. If another one calls earlier.. Well i hope they leave messages
It should be a 607 area code

This is good to know !

I wish someone would look at me like I look at Cornell <3

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else's heart stop for 2 seconds when the "Season's Greetings" email popped up??

Reactions: 5 users
I didn’t get it either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I didn't get that email? When was it sent?

I think you'd need to be subscribed to their pre-vet newsletter.

A couple years ago they sent me an email saying that I had been on the list for 5 years and would I like to be removed :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about it!

Yeah it wasn't related to application stuff so no worries if you didn't get it!

In my defense their subject line said Season's GreetingS! :oops:

My heart didn't stop, it literally skipped a beat and jumped into my throat.

I feel stupid asking this but here I go anyway: people who got accepted last year, I know it was a phone call. If you miss the phone call, does anyone know if they leave a voicemail telling you you got accepted or are you just SOL until you get your email? I have an interview at another school right around when they usually call, so now i'm petrified i'm not going to be able to answer my phone and miss it (if it comes) pls lmk!!!!

I feel stupid asking this but here I go anyway: people who got accepted last year, I know it was a phone call. If you miss the phone call, does anyone know if they leave a voicemail telling you you got accepted or are you just SOL until you get your email? I have an interview at another school right around when they usually call, so now i'm petrified i'm not going to be able to answer my phone and miss it (if it comes) pls lmk!!!!
I'm pretty sure that they'll try to call you again later on in the day, but they'll leave you a voicemail regardless. You can also call the number back, and if all else fails, the portal will also update within a day or two :)

Does anyone know what the feel is like between students at Cornell? I understand that there's always some competition, but after visiting Kansas this weekend and hearing about how close the students are/the support they give each other, I've realized the benefit of there being a support system between students instead of just competition. I know there are some schools where students are focused only on themselves, so I was just wondering if anyone knows how the general feel of Cornell is:cat:

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the feel is like between students at Cornell? I understand that there's always some competition, but after visiting Kansas this weekend and hearing about how close the students are/the support they give each other, I've realized the benefit of there being a support system between students instead of just competition. I know there are some schools where students are focused only on themselves, so I was just wondering if anyone knows how the general feel of Cornell is:cat:

I could be wrong but I believe competitiveness is less dependent on what school you go to, and more dependent upon the people in your year; or at least that is what vet students I am acquaintances with tell me. They basically said their class is very competitive; the next two classes above them are very supportive; and the people who were seniors when they were freshman were also very competitive. They said the competitiveness in their year and other years is due to the fact that the cohort just so happened to be made up of a lot of competitive, less supportive people, not because the school they went to pressured them into being more or less competitive. So I guess its really luck of the draw?

But also it seems from what they told me that competitive years are 1) less common than supportive years, and 2) not something you can tell about your cohort until you are enrolled at the school and attending classes with them. Perhaps you might want to look around/talk to the people who are being interviewed on the same day as you (not possible at Cornell because no interviews, but for other schools), and try to get a vibe from them, because they could potentially be your classmates and are the closest thing to seeing what the cohort attitude would be. Otherwise I don't think there's much you can do.

Reactions: 1 users
I could be wrong but I believe competitiveness is less dependent on what school you go to, and more dependent upon the people in your year; or at least that is what vet students I am acquaintances with tell me. They basically said their class is very competitive; the next two classes above them are very supportive; and the people who were seniors when they were freshman were also very competitive. They said the competitiveness in their year and other years is due to the fact that the cohort just so happened to be made up of a lot of competitive, less supportive people, not because the school they went to pressured them into being more or less competitive. So I guess its really luck of the draw?

But also it seems from what they told me that competitive years are 1) less common than supportive years, and 2) not something you can tell about your cohort until you are enrolled at the school and attending classes with them. Perhaps you might want to look around/talk to the people who are being interviewed on the same day as you (not possible at Cornell because no interviews, but for other schools), and try to get a vibe from them, because they could potentially be your classmates and are the closest thing to seeing what the cohort attitude would be. Otherwise I don't think there's much you can do.
Thank you, I think that makes a lot of sense!! The main reason I asked is because 2 veterinarians I worked with went to UPenn about 10 years apart, and said that UPenn is really known for being completely competitive due to internships (not bashing UPenn for anyone that likes it!! just saying what I've heard from other people:happy:), so I guess I was wondering if there were any generalizations about Cornell as well, but what you've said makes sense!

The main reason I asked is because 2 veterinarians I worked with went to UPenn about 10 years apart, and said that UPenn is really known for being completely competitive due to internships

No problem!

I'm surprised you heard that though - I've also worked with a vet that went to Penn, and he didn't mention that. However, I think a lot of things about vet school (such as people's experiences) that are more than a decade old start to become less and less applicable, just based off what older vets have told me and the fact that the application process has also seemed to have changed a lot in that time. My vet went to Penn years and years ago, so perhaps it's just the changing of the times :shrug:

No problem!

I'm surprised you heard that though - I've also worked with a vet that went to Penn, and he didn't mention that. However, I think a lot of things about vet school (such as people's experiences) that are more than a decade old start to become less and less applicable, just based off what older vets have told me and the fact that the application process has also seemed to have changed a lot in that time. My vet went to Penn years and years ago, so perhaps it's just the changing of the times :shrug:
Times do change, plus I think your previous point is very applicable, so it's 100% possible that the classes they were around just happened to be more competitive and it's changed since then! I'll just have to see what happens:)

Hey y’all last year they called my friend with her acceptance on Christmas Day so fingers crossed :)

That doesn't seem likely, but okay...

This is the much more likely scenario lol

Agree. I can’t imagine anyone in the admissions office is working on Christmas Day...

Just looked back at the Cornell c/o 2022 thread and no one posted about being accepted until January 2nd. Not that that's the be all and end all, but I'm pretty sure no one is working today.

Hey y’all last year they called my friend with her acceptance on Christmas Day so fingers crossed :)
Yeah I'm a first year and they definitely weren't in the office today... this just seems super unlikely and everyone I talked to in my class got their calls last year on January 2nd or 3rd. But I haven't talked to everyone of course so it could be possible..?

if hell freezes over and pigs begin to fly and all 3 of us get accepted, I think me, @grebes4lyfe, and @vetcote should be a bff trio. non-negotiable.

As long as I don't have an actual stroke when I hear then sounds good to me!

Have you heard anything on the PhD end of things? I thought that they interviewed for that.

Have you heard anything on the PhD end of things? I thought that they interviewed for that.
You have to be accepted to the DVM portion first then they interview for the PhD. I believe I'm competitive for that but the DVM is a swing. I have a lot of life experience and I work with honeybees regularly though so I'm hoping that's interesting enough for them to take me. Dam chemistry killed me xD worst case I think I'm just going to keep reapplying to Cornell. It's my dream school and why settle for anything but the dream <3

You have to be accepted to the DVM portion first then they interview for the PhD. I believe I'm competitive for that but the DVM is a swing. I have a lot of life experience and I work with honeybees regularly though so I'm hoping that's interesting enough for them to take me. Dam chemistry killed me xD worst case I think I'm just going to keep reapplying to Cornell. It's my dream school and why settle for anything but the dream <3

You don't have PMing enabled - could you send me one?