DMU students Where do you live in Des Moines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megswegs82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at apartments and housing right now and I am getting really excited to start school in August. I was wondering if those of you who already go to DMU could give me some advice on where the best places to live are. I have looked into the four seasons (love that there is a pool), the grand apartments and other places close by. What do you guys think are the best? I also wouldn't mind living down town it seems like the apartments are pretty cool. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently graduating from DMU, and alot has changed since my first two years there. I lived in West Des Moines which is about a 10 to 15 trip to campus. West Des Moines is growing and more of the "rich" suburb type feel.

There are currently a ton of condo's/apartments downtown that they have redone or just recently built that they are trying to move, and my family has told me that they are a great deal.

The wonderful thing about Des Moines is you can pretty much get anywhere in the city in 20 minutes so you can pick and choose your area. We did tend to go out more in the Clive/West Des Moines/Urbandale area when I was there, however, I was recently home and they have some newer nicer bars downtown now.

I'm sure some of the current dmu'ers will have more up to date info.

Two words: Affordable Luxury...

The management company for our complex bought & renovated a building downtown & put in all the cool features. Only problem is that once you get to looking into it, there is "parking available" (probably an extra fee) & it is located on a street that you cannot drive down btwn the hours of 0630 - 1800. That, to me, is a deal breaker. I don't want to have to park my car somewhere else (pretty much all meter or parcade parking downtown) & walk quite a distance to my apartment every day. Just my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in West Des Moines (By the mall etc) and we love it here. Best place in Des Moines IMHO. PM me if you have any questions. :D

i"ll also be starting in Aug and was wondering if any current students knew about these places: Ashworth Pointe in WDM, Woodland Avenue Brickstone apartments, or the Court Avenue Lofts? Thanks a lot for any input.

I guess a better question would be where NOT to live. Where have you had bad experiences?