MD & DO Do I have a chance at MD with my credentials or should I go DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandeee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all and first off thanks for taking the time to read and help!
I go to a liberal arts school in Pennsylvania that has been recognized as very good.
As of now (Prior to my last semester senior year) my cGPA is 3.268, sGPA is 3.30. I have a strong upward trend as my freshman year i had a cGPA of a 2.7. Since i have been in the 3.4-3.7 range. I have shadowed doctors for about 25 hours total. I have volunteered for about 20 hours total. I was a health coach with two patients for about 200 hours. I have completed 2 separate independent research projects and am working on my third currently with no publications. I have yet to take my MCATs but plan to this summer. I also plan on taking a gap year to move to NC to establish residency to increase my chances of getting into UNC. During this time i plan to volunteer and shadow much more. If i do very well on the MCAT do i have a chance at allopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sanguine. Your most recent performance should be in the 3.7+ range to get you noticed by those schools that reward reinvention.
thank you for the reply! unfortunately this past semester cellular biology got me and i ended with a 3.35 which is the lowest I've had since sophomore year. I was also debating trying to do graduate prior to boost my gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances for DO schools depends on your MCAT. 505 or higher would be good enough for some schools. 500 or higher would be fine for some of the newer schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your chances for DO schools depends on your MCAT. 505 or higher would be good enough for some schools. 500 or higher would be fine for some of the newer schools.
Whathe would I have to get for MD schools?

You would need a 515 or higher to have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your GPA. That 50% includes applicants with graduate degrees and those from states that accept many of their own residents (NC is not one of them). Your chances as a NC resident would be significantly less than 50%. Where is your current state of residence?

You would need a 515 or higher to have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your GPA. That 50% includes applicants with graduate degrees and those from states that accept many of their own residents (NC is not one of them). Your chances as a NC resident would be significantly less than 50%. Where is your current state of residence?
Pennsylvania

Kill the MCAT. There should never be a score goal in standardized exams. You should strive for the best of your ability. When you get your score, you'll also get a clearer picture of whether you should apply MD, MD/DO or DO only.

Pennsylvania is not a bad place to be in terms of finding some in-state love.

Reactions: 1 user
Kill the MCAT. There should never be a score goal in standardized exams. You should strive for the best of your ability. When you get your score, you'll also get a clearer picture of whether you should apply MD, MD/DO or DO only.

Pennsylvania is not a bad place to be in terms of finding some in-state love.
Thank you for the encouragement! How long did most of you study for the mcat?

Thank you for the encouragement! How long did most of you study for the mcat?

Took maybe 3 months. Some take more, some take less. But do give yourself a fair shake at it. You know best what kind of learner you are.

Try to do well in your remaining courses, science and non-science.

Make sure all other parts of your application are solid, particularly LORs. Shadow more. Definitely volunteer more, especially in an area you have an interest in.

Took maybe 3 months. Some take more, some take less. But do give yourself a fair shake at it. You know best what kind of learner you are.

Try to do well in your remaining courses, science and non-science.

Make sure all other parts of your application are solid, particularly LORs. Shadow more. Definitely volunteer more, especially in an area you have an interest in.
Okay! I planned on taking it at the end of the summer and will start probably in may or so. And I shadowed brain and spine surgery (my area of interest) and I definitely would love to do that more!

Okay! I planned on taking it at the end of the summer and will start probably in may or so. And I shadowed brain and spine surgery (my area of interest) and I definitely would love to do that more!

Sounds great. Just to be clear for your benefit, volunteer more. Shadowing is separate.

I definitely understand when you have a preference for a certain field. One of my letters was from a neurologist. But if I could go back, I would have shadowed or volunteered in the meat and potatoes. I'm talking family medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, primary care etc. The reason is, it gives you a better understanding of the spectrum of human disease. You'll have to make that your religion for the first 2-3 years of med school at least. It's also a good indication to adcoms that you have approached your decision to pursue medicine comprehensively.

Good luck to you.

Th
Sounds great. Just to be clear for your benefit, volunteer more. Shadowing is separate.

I definitely understand when you have a preference for a certain field. One of my letters was from a neurologist. But if I could go back, I would have shadowed or volunteered in the meat and potatoes. I'm talking family medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, primary care etc. The reason is, it gives you a better understanding of the spectrum of human disease. You'll have to make that your religion for the first 2-3 years of med school at least. It's also a good indication to adcoms that you have approached your decision to pursue medicine comprehensively.

Good luck to you.
Thank you so much!!