DPMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what my recommenders are doing

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything yet?

I finished applying late February and have not heard back. From what I know, they don’t start extending interview invites until April so no news right now is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am a former DPMSer and current med student. I was in the non-mcat track (track II). Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Hello! I am a former DPMSer and current med student. I was in the non-mcat track (track II). Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
What were your stats going in to the program? Also when did you submit your app and when were you interviewed?

How long was ur DPMS essay? Did they ask a lot of questions about your background during interview?

I was planning on applying but I have a 2.9 overall in undergrad and a 3.56 in a post bacc and a 482 MCAT. I took it when I was taking 21 hrs and wasn't fully prepared for it. I wanted to change the date but didn't have enough money to change the date sadly. Do you think applying is worth a shot?

I was planning on applying but I have a 2.9 overall in undergrad and a 3.56 in a post bacc and a 482 MCAT. I took it when I was taking 21 hrs and wasn't fully prepared for it. I wanted to change the date but didn't have enough money to change the date sadly. Do you think applying is worth a shot?

I don't think it hurts to apply! Your only loss would be losing the application fee (unless you got it waived by attending the info session) and time you put into the application but I think it's definitely worth a shot! Plus the worst thing that can happen is that you get rejected.. but there's always other options!

Reactions: 1 user

I also applied this cycle, but I think you should try. If accepted, you'd be placed in the group that will have to retake the MCAT and making contract afterwards will depend on your ability to succeed academically and on this exam. A 3.56 post bacc gpa suggests that you most likely can get above a 3.2 if you continue working hard, but I've heard that the main reason for students not making contract is because of the MCAT score. Worst case scenario, you're out the application fee, but best case scenario, you'll have a conditional acceptance. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I'm a current DPMS student. Please feel free to ask me questions. I am going to be seeing y'all as y'all interview and in the summer as well once classes start. I'll be answering some questions I've seen in my own way. Bob_boy has answered thing amazingly so far, and I'll just be adding some details here and there.

It's that bad? From prior threads, it seems like the MCAT was the biggest reason that people don't make contract, but you don't take the MCAT until January. So that means that a bunch of people have already dropped the program because the classes were too difficult?

The MCAT is only part of the reason that people don't make contract. Track 1, the MCAT track, which I'm a part of, has MCAT prep courses provided by The Princeton Review 3 times per week for the entirety of the fall and spring semesters. Yes, that means that even after people have taken the MCAT in January and their retake in March if they need it, students still have MCAT class until May. It is an annoyance if you do make the score the first time, but it levels out the playing field for course work with those in track 2. Anyhow, most track 1 people study through winter break, but biochem does a great job of teaching content for the bio section and some of chem/phys.

The other part of the reason that people don't make contract is that the courses themselves are the same as the first year medical students, but for a grade. The way the tests line up especially in October, 3 at the begging of the month and 3 at the end with 2 lumped in the same day, makes it a very stressful and hectic time. The material itself isn't hard. It's just the sheer volume that needs to be learned in such a short amount of time as well as relearning how to study for each individual course. Every exam feels like a final during undergrad. Unfortunately for some, learning how to study or not knowing how to deal with new test anxiety brings down students.

Resources are plentiful. Those who say that there aren't must not have paid attention during orientation because we have free tutoring as well as academic coaches, or they weren't a very social person because I was given resource after resource through my big or classmates.

So you have to re-take the MCAT by January? So if you got accepted to the program with a low MCAT score, they give you till January to retake it not after that?

Yes, you have to at least take the first and hopefully only MCAT in January. If you have to retake it, you must take it by the end of March, which the last exam this year was during spring break. I know of one student who retook the MCAT right before starting classes in the summer, and they got a score that allowed them to go from track 1 to track 2 before the fall started. I definitely don't suggest taking the exam during the fall. The coursework is huge.

Thank you so much! Do you mind sharing how hard the classes were? like what was the hardest class? what was the average in these classes? And what do you think is a good time to submit my application?

The classes during the summer are bio stats, medical terminology, critical thinking (a class that introduces skillsets on how to critically think as well as introduce the fall classes a little), and medical science prep (a class that introduces soft skills that physicians need to do well as well as amazing physician visits). Bio stats was online and could be considered a little hard since 1 missed question is equal to 1 point off your total grade. Critical thinking was tougher than expected due to the intro to the fall classes being graded, but this course is pass/fail along with med science prep. Medical terminology wasn't bad, but the teacher was a stickler for spelling and handwriting. I suggest to any future DPMS student to get all A's during the summer because it'll make the rest of the year a little easier.

The classes during the fall and spring semesters aren't hard. Like I wrote above, the sheer volume of the material that's required for each exam is a lot for the time length between exams, which can be as little as 2 weeks. Biochem is worth the most hours at 8 hours, so doing well in this one is essential. The professor, Dr. Jameson, loves to see his students succeed, especially DPMS student, and will help and lay out time for us. Please get to know him and talk to him. The average was around a B. This could have been the hardest class, or if not, it's the next class I'll talk about. Microanatomy is worth 5 hours, and I found a lot of people did well on the written exam, but they wouldn't do well on the practical. The average was around a B. The class makes students use spacial orientation skills in a way that many people haven't used before. Those who are bad with directions are likely to have a hard time with this course. There are however a ton of resources to overcome this, websites, videos, and books. I will also be a resource for those who need it next year. The average was around a B-. Physiology is broken up between the Fall and Spring semesters. The class is worth 3.5 hours in both the fall and spring each, 7 total. The hardest part of this course is that the last exam in the fall and the 2 exams in the spring are worth 50% of your grade. I consider physiology the other side of the coin of biochemistry, and thankfully most classes talk about the same subject matter around the same time. In the spring there is medical professionalism, and it is easier in comparison to all the previous courses. Also, comparatively to the other courses, this course is graded with attendance and class participation. The material presented can be a little dull, but the teacher does a great job of making it more interesting.

Track 2 students take more courses that are all pass/fail such as immunology, neuroanatomy, and neuro.

As for submitting your application, hopefully you have already, and if not, no worry! You have a month still, but the sooner you do it, the better!

i’m doing research to apply next cycle. i’m going to have around a 2.9 GPA and a 3.6 science GPA. i am a licensed EMT, volunteer weekly and have started a medically related non profit. i am a black female from philadelphia.

do you think i have a shot at getting into DPMS?

I say apply and see what happens! The application is a holistic process, and they take people that they think will be representative of the population that we will serve in the future as well as will add to the upcoming class. They do take in more females than males. It's worth a shot!

It is possible to do a one day volunteer during the program year?

Honestly, since most of our classes are online, you can schedule your time to include that. One thing we are told often is to have our activity that rebalances us and brings us joy so that we can recharge. If that is your activity, then yes. Otherwise, studying will take a lot of your time. For me, I go to NYC once a month for a whole weekend. So you can definitely do it if you plan well.

Do they go through every single application or screen applications based on MCAT/GPA? @bob_boy and other DPMSers

No, they go through the whole application. It is very holistic. Just be authentic in your essays.

Should the resume that they ask for, be an one page resume or like a CV with everything that one did throughout college?

I did a 3 page CV. I had a whole different life before this, and DPMS will love to see what your experiences are.

Does anyone know if the MCAT requirement to matriculate into the medical school changed?

Previous posters said you needed at least a 45% overall. With a minimum of a 125 in each section.

But Drexel's website states that the requirement is a minimum of a 499 overall with no lower than a 123 in each section.

As you stated, the requirement is a minimum of a 499 overall with no lower than a 123 in each section. There is no exception to this at all. I know because I asked haha! Thankfully I did very well on the MCAT thanks to the courses we take and very well planned MCAT practice.

To confirm, LORs can be written like we're applying to med school right?

I used the exact same LOR that I used when I applied to med school.

Hope this helps people out! Like I said, message me if you need help or have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I saw some more questions I would like to add some detail to.

I finished applying late February and have not heard back. From what I know, they don’t start extending interview invites until April so no news right now is good news.

I applied in February as well, and I didn't hear from Drexel until the end of April. I had my interview in the middle of May, and I was accepted 2-3 weeks later. Waiting for an answer is stressful I know, but take this time to add more to your resume. Not only are you doing something good and passing some time, but the time spent wasn't wasted.

What were your stats going in to the program? Also when did you submit your app and when were you interviewed?

So my stats going into the interview were:
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.7
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (the score was ridiculously unbalanced. I failed the psych-soc portion)

I had applied to medical school 2 cycles ago, got 11 interviews, got waitlisted at 6, and got accepted to none. I am so thankful for DPMS because my overall GPA and unbalanced MCAT really held me back. The above answer has the information about app submission and interview timeline.

How long was ur DPMS essay? Did they ask a lot of questions about your background during interview?

My DPMS essay was slightly more than a page.

My favorite part of the interview was talking about my background. They did ask some questions about it. Remember that every question they ask is just to learn about who you are as a person, what you stand for, and how your energy will add to the future DPMS class and med school class further along. Also remember that an interview is a conversation. I asked questions throughout and made jokes as I do with friends with my interviewer. My 30 mins interview actually went over by 20 mins, and my interviewer was none other than our biochemistry teacher. It was great. One piece of advice, please wear a suit. One person during my interview didn't have one, and I was so sad to see this because I knew that it wouldn't be taken well. I don't have a suit, but I sure did borrow one.

Reactions: 4 users
So I feel like I should of asked this earlier, but when do classes start?
I thought all these programs start in August/September, but I remember reading something about July for the DPMS program.
I have a wedding on July 17th...

I thought all these programs start in August/September, but I remember reading something about July for the DPMS program.

I heard the DPMS program starts very early July, although I don't think the exact date for the 2019-2020 program has been released yet. Don't quote me on this, but others have mentioned that the summer session is a bit lighter. It would be your decision whether to miss class or attend this wedding, but I don't think the prospect of missing this wedding should impact your decision to apply (if you haven't applied already) or attend.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I could not agree more with what SparklesDuWang said. I might be seeing you guys at interviews and over the summer as well! So you can use either of us as a resource! Also I heard that interviews should be starting soon, however the date is unclear. Don't worry if you have submitted and don't hear back soon, they must finish the med school class first and they are still interviewing them until the 11th I think. After they are done interviewing them, they will start with DPMS.

Here's a link of when your academic calendar: Academic Calendars - Office of the Provost, you guys will be getting a more comprehensive calendar later on in the summer. Your calendar falls under semester calendars, college of medicine, biomedical graduate. Not sure if this link will work but here's a direct link to it (Biomedical Graduate Studies Academic Year 2019-2020 [PDF])

I'm not sure what city the wedding is in but classes will be in session then. I am sure you can talk to administration and work something out so you are still able to go to the wedding.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Just as Bob_boy said, you'll have already started classes by the time the wedding has started. Classes start on July 1st. Your first few days are going to be orientation, and then you will go straight into classes. Follow Bob_boy's advice, and hopefully you'll be able to work something out. Just know that there are going to be classes that are in-person with attendance taken with in-class activities that are parts of your grade. Even though the summer is technically lighter, it isn't something to take lightly. There're going to be some changes done to the summer program that'll hopefully prepare y'all for the reality of the fall semester. With that in mind, hopefully you can start thinking about attending the wedding with a clearer mind.

First though, I wish you luck on getting an interview and succeeding in it. Then you can worry about the wedding.

I heard the DPMS program starts very early July, although I don't think the exact date for the 2019-2020 program has been released yet. Don't quote me on this, but others have mentioned that the summer session is a bit lighter. It would be your decision whether to miss class or attend this wedding, but I don't think the prospect of missing this wedding should impact your decision to apply (if you haven't applied already) or attend.

Good luck everyone!
The wedding is my own, so missing it would not really be a good option...

It is in Anchorage AK, where her family lives.

Well we will see if I even get an interview before I worry about it too much.

The wedding is my own, so missing it would not really be a good option...

It is in Anchorage AK, where her family lives.

Well we will see if I even get an interview before I worry about it too much.

Oh Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you! You better not miss that :D

Good luck with the application!!! Hopefully we will hear back about interviews in the next coming weeks!

If I submit my application near the deadline will I be okay? Current applicant to med school, 3 MD IIs, 1 WL, 1 R and waiting on that last school right now

I got invited for an interview today, but I may drop it. How doable is this program? I already have an acceptance to TouroCOM's MS program, which is also a guaranteed acceptance program, but I wouldn't have to retake the MCATs with that program.

I'm sure with DPMS, I'd be placed in the group that would require an MCAT retake. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge know how these two programs compare? I also know they have the same matriculation rate at about 50%.

I got invited for an interview today, but I may drop it. How doable is this program? I already have an acceptance to TouroCOM's MS program, which is also a guaranteed acceptance program, but I wouldn't have to retake the MCATs with that program.

I'm sure with DPMS, I'd be placed in the group that would require an MCAT retake. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge know how these two programs compare? I also know they have the same matriculation rate at about 50%.
Was the invite by email?

Maybe @bob_boy would have some good answers for you. Congrats on the II tho!

Congrats @Dr.Brave! It's exciting to receive the invite to interview. Also congrats on your acceptance to the TouroCOM's program!

I'm a current DPMS student. My advice is to at least come to the interview before deciding whether or not to come to make a fully informed decision. I don't think asking here how doable the program is will be a very good way to determine if this place is a good fit for you. I say this because seeing how well you fit into the culture of the school, how you actually feel in the physical location, how well supported you're going to be in this program, how you like the area/city the school is located in, how much it costs, how you feel in an MD vs a DO education, etc are all things to take heavily into consideration. I believe having options will give you more opportunities to succeed.

If you go up earlier into the thread, you will see answers on what the curriculum is like written by bob_boy and myself. I myself was in the MCAT retake group, and the MCAT requirements are written up above also. It's all very doable honestly, but how well you will do in DPMS depends on a lot of things that bob_boy and I mention. In short, until you're taking med school equivalent classes, it's hard to really imagine through the words written here how strenuous and crazy this experience truly is. I can tell you that the classes you take will hugely help with the MCAT if you need to retake it because my classmates typically saw overall improvements in score. The resources here are plentiful, and the staff and faculty here truly want to see you succeed.

I just looked at Touro's MS program's website, and their program and our program look very comparable. Their GPA requirement of 3.45 is definitely higher than the 3.2 you need from DPMS to gain admission to the medical school. I went and looked at SDN's page for that program, and it looks like you will be having almost the exact same experience in difficulty and rigor. It looks like the cost of attendance is much higher than DPMS's, and if money is a factor for you, then this could also be something to think about. Either way, you will be a physician at the end. Only real thing to think about is if you want an M.D. or a D.O. after your name.

Last edited:
If I submit my application near the deadline will I be okay? Current applicant to med school, 3 MD IIs, 1 WL, 1 R and waiting on that last school right now

You will be okay! They look at all applications submitted before the deadline

Maybe @bob_boy would have some good answers for you. Congrats on the II tho!

I couldn’t have agreed more with @SparklesDuWang. You should go to the interview and see the program for yourself. I would say the program is doable but I’m sure some who won’t matriculate will say the contrast. O one but yourself can determine how doable this program is. People have done it before and so you can too if you’re determined! I’m not sure what your mcat is but if you do have to retake the MCAT in DPMS, a lot of people this year seemed to have done great their first go around.

If you decide to go to the interview good luck! Feel free to DM me if you have any questions while you prep and I may be seeing you around interview days!

Hey all! I’ve been creeping around the past few days seeing if there was any movement with DPMS, but I got a II today. Complete 1/04 for those that are curious. I have a DO acceptance but if I get in here definitely leaning towards enrolling!

Hey all! I’ve been creeping around the past few days seeing if there was any movement with DPMS, but I got a II today. Complete 1/04 for those that are curious. I have a DO acceptance but if I get in here definitely leaning towards enrolling!
CONGRATS! what was your GPA and MCAT score?

Thanks for the information guys!! I scheduled an interview for April 29th!!

It's both exciting and nerve-wracking to know II's are going out now. Exciting because the ball is finally rolling but scary because last year thread had a lot of people waiting weeks and weeks for any information while other's were moving forward. I submitted late February so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully, more of us hear back sooner than later!

Last edited:
Hi! I also got an interview today for the DPMS program and I’m beyond excited! You mentioned that the DPMS only needs a 3.2 GPA during the masters to matriculate?
Yes, you only need a 3.2 (alongside the MCAT requirement) to matriculate. Congrats on your II!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! So I just got an II from the program via email for interview dates April 18th, 22th, 25th, and 29th. I completed my application on 1/26. Just wanted to share this update and encourage everyone to be patient! Hopefully I'll see you all there!

I submitted late February so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I believe its rolling based on your completion date so best of luck! My fingers are crossed for you as well!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all, I have also just gotten an interview invite- same dates as the person above. I was completed 2/5. Best of luck to everyone!

Also received an interview invite this morning. Complete sometime late February.

GPA was a 3.7
MCAT 499
For those who are curious.

Anyone else have a portal where the admission status is totally blank... earlier it said I was under review and no decision had been made. Now there’s literally nothing?? ☹️

Damn I was complete around early February also. Haven't heard back. Hopefully it isn't a dub

I emailed the guy they said to contact to set up an interview time, but he is out of the office until Tuesday the 16. I'm trying to set up my interview for the 18th. Cutting it a bit close on their end, especially since I have to arrange air travel.

I emailed the guy they said to contact to set up an interview time, but he is out of the office until Tuesday the 16. I'm trying to set up my interview for the 18th. Cutting it a bit close on their end, especially since I have to arrange air travel.
I emailed him this morning and I got a response within the half hour. Perhaps try calling the DPMS office and telling them your situation and see if they can reach him on a personal number to secure your interview.

It was like that for me too actually. It's all a pretty fast turn-around once the ball starts get rolling. I remember getting my invitation and being in a huge time crunch because I received the email and the last offered interview date for me was 1 day less than 2 weeks away. The first offered interview day was 4 days later. It's definitely not ideal at all, but I would call the Pre-medical & Pre-health office and ask for Thelicia Hill, the DPMS academic administrator, at 215.762.4692. Maybe she can help in some way in getting your interview date set.

Good luck to everyone who will interview! I will be meeting some of you during the interviews. This roller coaster ride is going to be a crazy one.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

As interviews are being offered, please feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any questions while you prep, where to stay for interviews, what to expect, etc! I am sure you can also ask @SparklesDuWnag as well. I'll try to keep my eye on this thread and try to check it daily so that I can answer questions you might all have!

I just also wanted to remind those that haven't heard back that they do go through all applicants, and they reviews applications in the order they receive them. However they do not decide on who is admitted until all applications are reviewed. I know the website has some dates with a timeline but last year it was not on the timeline and we had to wait like 3 weeks or so. The first round of acceptance came out like May 25th. Just remember, no news is good news! Right? :)

Best of luck on the interview! I wish you all the well and maybe might be seeing some you guys in the near future!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
It was like that for me too actually. It's all a pretty fast turn-around once the ball starts get rolling. I remember getting my invitation and being in a huge time crunch because I received the email and the last offered interview date for me was 1 day less than 2 weeks away. The first offered interview day was 4 days later. It's definitely not ideal at all, but I would call the Pre-medical & Pre-health office and ask for Thelicia Hill, the DPMS academic administrator, at 215.762.4692. Maybe she can help in some way in getting your interview date set.

Good luck to everyone who will interview! I will be meeting some of you during the interviews. This roller coaster ride is going to be a crazy one.
I called the number again this morning and reached a lady named Wanda. She was super helpful and was able to confirm my appointment.

April 18th at 11:30. Anyone else going to be in that timeslot?

If anyone is interviewing April 22nd at 9, PM me, would love to exchange notes on how you are preparing!
Submitted and complete in December, Interview invite April 11th via email.
(If anyone wants to know stats, PM me as well)

Hey all, quick question! For those of you currently taking classes that are science/math related did you include those in the bcpm calculator? I won’t have the grades until after the deadline but I have a fairly good idea of what i will make in each.. and It improves my overall gpa as well so I didn’t want to leave them out.

Hey all, quick question! For those of you currently taking classes that are science/math related did you include those in the bcpm calculator? I won’t have the grades until after the deadline but I have a fairly good idea of what i will make in each.. and It improves my overall gpa as well so I didn’t want to leave them out.
I didn't include them unless the final grade was on my transcript

Question, what does an average week look like for a DPMS student, in terms of the classes you attend, Lab, assignments, and exams?

Question, what does an average week look like for a DPMS student, in terms of the classes you attend, Lab, assignments, and exams?

Hey! It all depends. In the fall we had a lot of classes online and usually histology lab once a week. Track one has mcat class MWTh night from 6-8. Track two has a neuro class T and Th. Everything else is online so you do it on your own. I would say in the fall I spent about 8-10 hours a day studying and lighter on Friday and Saturday. Because it’s online you can make the schedule how you want. If I knew I wanted free time on weekend I’ll study more during the week.

We have about a test every two weeks and sometimes it’s back to back for different classes. Time management and prioritzation will be your best friend! Hope this helps

I was in that boat when I applied. I just sent in what I had completed at that point, and I wrote to DPMS stating that I will send them updated scores and transcripts when they came out. It all worked out in the end. If you have questions like that, which are specific about administrative and admission content, I'd suggest calling Thelicia Hill at the Pre-med & Pre-health office at 215.762.4692.

I agree with @bob_boy completely. I'm attaching a pic of the class schedule the first week back we had this semester. Since the classes are online unless otherwise noted, you can make your schedule up to be as you like. In the fall, I studied easily 6-12 hours a day depending on how much I wanted to get done or if I had plans to during the weekend. I take a monthly trip out of town to visit and explore the northeast, and I definitely don't want to do anything school-related during that time. I studied about 2-6 hours a day during the other weekends I didn't travel. We don't really have assignments per say. We had labs for microbiology that we had to prepare for before hand which took time, and we had group projects spread through the semester. Other than that, all of your grades come from exams. I study primarily at school, which was a huge adjustment for me because I'm used to studying in cafes late into the night. Places in Center City close early, at around 7, and there are no 24-hour cafes.

One thing I like to note is that we were given the option to watch the micro anatomy course videos with the professor who taught it during the scheduled time, but not many people went to it. As for exams, the professors usually held reviews before them and then held a separate review for how well the exams went afterwards.

Anyhow, I can't agree more with Bob_boy that the key is prioritization and time management for keeping on track and on top of everything because it is SO EASY to get behind and stay behind. It is relentless and on-going. The term sink or swim truly applies here. However, it is all doable, and always be open to asking for help. There's no shame or weakness in that. If you do that, then your likelihood of success improves!