DREXEL DPMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m pissed. If you aren’t going to interview anymore people send a rejection. It’s mentally exhausting to wait months for no updates.

Reactions: 8 users
its actually really frustrating that they started interviewing people weeks later than normal considering their program literally starts in almost a month, seems to me like they're super rushing the process and we're not going to get a fair evaluation, which seems like the case already as the few interviews gone out have mostly gone to people with better stats. just seems frustrating because i put my heart into this app. and i also think its really offensive that they essentially judge our past trauma and hardships and determine which one of us "really" struggled enough to get an interview or even acceptance

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
its actually really frustrating that they started interviewing people weeks later than normal considering their program literally starts in almost a month, seems to me like they're super rushing the process and we're not going to get a fair evaluation, which seems like the case already as the few interviews gone out have mostly gone to people with better stats. just seems frustrating because i put my heart into this app. and i also think its really offensive that they essentially judge our past trauma and hardships and determine which one of us "really" struggled enough to get an interview or even acceptance
If I remember correctly, they did say during a pre health convention (when I went into the Drexel zoom) that DPMS could even send out acceptances even as close as the same week of classes starting. It is all very close for sure

If I remember correctly, they did say during a pre health convention (when I went into the Drexel zoom) that DPMS could even send out acceptances even as close as the same week of classes starting. It is all very close for sure
Right, I believe it's the same with regular cycle medical school as well. They can literally send out acceptances the same week, and people have to scramble and find housing and move out the same week. This whole process can be overwhelming and toxic unfortunately :(

Reactions: 1 users
I sincerely understand your frustration. It's been really rough, to say the least. From previous posts, we learned that the evaluation of DPMS apps began really late this year because the medical school committee was behind due to COVID. And they're also part of the evaluations. So I guess we could've seen this coming in some shape or form. I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone that the medical field can be very toxic when it comes to opportunities. I believe that you worked hard on your application, as I'd like to think that most of us have. Don't be too hard on yourself through this process. It's hard. It's very demanding. It's stressful. But, whatever happens, It's important for us to keep our minds in a positive state. Keep working on being the best version of yourself!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I sincerely understand your frustration. It's been really rough, to say the least. From previous posts, we learned that the evaluation of DPMS apps began really late this year because the medical school committee was behind due to COVID. And they're also part of the evaluations. So I guess we could've seen this coming in some shape or form. I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone that the medical field can be very toxic when it comes to opportunities. I believe that you worked hard on your application, as I'd like to think that most of us have. Don't be too hard on yourself through this process. It's hard. It's very demanding. It's stressful. But, whatever happens, It's important for us to keep our minds in a positive state. Keep working on being the best version of yourself!
that was so sweet i appreciate you, rooting for your success as well

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I’m pissed. If you aren’t going to interview anymore people send a rejection. It’s mentally exhausting to wait months for no updates.
Honestly same. Already expecting a R but i‘d just like to know and move on. Tired of just being dragged along :/

For those of you who scheduled for the May 20th casper but haven't gotten an interview - are you still going to take it?

As personal advice, I would take the exam whether or not an invitation is extended. They are becoming increasingly required by medical schools, its an exam you cant inherently study for, and over all pretty easy. And you never get your score back so you never have to deal with a score and stressing about that. Until a school gives you an R, then always assume there is even the slightest window of opportunity. You wouldnt forgive youself if you didnt take the exam and then randomly get an II a week later. 😊

As personal advice, I would take the exam whether or not an invitation is extended. They are becoming increasingly required by medical schools, its an exam you cant inherently study for, and over all pretty easy. And you never get your score back so you never have to deal with a score and stressing about that. Until a school gives you an R, then always assume there is even the slightest window of opportunity. You wouldnt forgive youself if you didnt take the exam and then randomly get an II a week later. 😊
so the one on may 20th will be good for the 2021-2022 regular md cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
so the one on may 20th will be good for the 2021-2022 regular md cycle?
My thing is tho.. they only tell u u need to take it WHEN you get the II which is kinda not fair especially for people who aren’t on forums like this so they wouldn’t know that that was the case. They would be like oh wow I got this interview today on the 18th and they expect me to take this exam on the 20th. And I know it’s not something u have to study for but it’s something you have to plan for like I’m not free to take this exam at 5pm on the 20th last minute. If I knew ahead of time, I would schedule time off. It’s an inconvenience really but I digress LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
My thing is tho.. they only tell u u need to take it WHEN you get the II which is kinda not fair especially for people who aren’t on forums like this so they wouldn’t know that that was the case. They would be like oh wow I got this interview today on the 18th and they expect me to take this exam on the 20th. And I know it’s not something u have to study for but it’s something you have to plan for like I’m not free to take this exam at 5pm on the 20th last minute. If I knew ahead of time, I would schedule time off. It’s an inconvenience really but I digress LOL
this year in general seems really disorganized from them in general if im being honest, i saw on their site that they're now under new program management so maybe that has something to do with it all

Yes this needed to be said! I think everyone should vent out their frustrations, like everyone. I know people on here are saying to be positive and whatever but, let's be real, we NEED to release our frustrations and not push them aside with thinking positively.. we've already BEEN doing that since we submitted our applications.

Enough is enough, this committee needs to get their @$$% together. First of all, yes it's COVID, but they have had a WHOLE YEAR to adjust. We have been in this for a year now, come on. In fact, I would say the class last year had it better than us cuz they were sent II's before us, wow look at that.. admissions had this #$%% together that time. What's the hold up.

They are being so unfair with us, expecting us to drop everything for them in an instant when they send out those acceptances last minute. And holding out rejections for no reason. I am deeply UNSATISFIED with this WHOLE PROCESS.

I think everyone should vent out and release because this positive thinking isn't doing much when we have people going through deep mental health problems.

I agree 100%. It's terrible we have to "pimp" ourselves and talk about how you grew up starving on the streets of Cuba or how your dad beat your mom while he was in jail on drugs (examples obvi) to compete for who had it the worst. "Prove your life is miserable and maybe I'll give you a whiff of a better life." :cautious:Certainly adcoms don't need all that to know we have disadvantages. I definitely think the process is super rushed this year with thoroughly evaluating 700+ apps in 3 weeks? Is it not ironic that med schools drill us on timeliness and if you are 3 seconds past your 11:59 deadline then you can't submit even in COVID times, but they get to extend to whenever they feel like it because they are busy??? Oh.

Is it not weird that the same DUCOM adcom evaluates these DPMS applications too? We all know adcoms aren't know for their "diversity" but somehow when it comes to disadvantaged URMs then they are experts??

Reactions: 5 users
im really sad so many feel this way. One thing i can fully agree on is the horrible mental toll applying to medical school has been on me and obviously so many. It is my goal to work with any medical school im fortunate to attend to ensure that entering students get the support they need asap. There is a lot that needs to be done. Even though i cannot relate to everyone’s life experience i am mentally taking note because we all know that it is a common attitude of dissatisfaction about this expensive, frustrating, and many times dismissive medical schools are with applicants, especially when you are not an ideal candidate.
That being said, i think it is CRITICAL that we use the information we read from other applicants as only advice that you take with a grain of salt. I personally have had a wonderful experience thus far with admin and getting feedback with current students. They are the ones that we should ultimately be getting our facts from if we are going to do or not do something. I personally do NOT believe they rank our trauma. How frightening a thought if that were true. As with any medical school, there are always waaay more applicants than seats. Its just the way it is. We have no real insight as to how they choose to extend interviews. We will never know. But i still believe it is a wonderful opportunity to give a handful of students an opportunity to fulfill a life goal of becoming a physician, when their stats might not suggest that. As someone who has received an interview, i can tell you my transcripts have every letter under the sun, several times over. And the number of times ive taken the MCAT is actually embarrassing. It’s something that I personally will have to work out in the future. Because at times i do not feel worthy. That being said, my interviewer, a white male, came into the interview seeming to know my story better than me. It was the first time i felt seen and understood and didnt feel ashamed of my journey from someone in admissions. I sincerely hope more interviews are extended, we know we need the validation of being seen. I see you all. Keep your head up! Every one of you are in my prayers!

Reactions: 14 users
im really sad so many feel this way. One thing i can fully agree on is the horrible mental toll applying to medical school has been on me and obviously so many. It is my goal to work with any medical school im fortunate to attend to ensure that entering students get the support they need asap. There is a lot that needs to be done. Even though i cannot relate to everyone’s life experience i am mentally taking note because we all know that it is a common attitude of dissatisfaction about this expensive, frustrating, and many times dismissive medical schools are with applicants, especially when you are not an ideal candidate.
That being said, i think it is CRITICAL that we use the information we read from other applicants as only advice that you take with a grain of salt. I personally have had a wonderful experience thus far with admin and getting feedback with current students. They are the ones that we should ultimately be getting our facts from if we are going to do or not do something. I personally do NOT believe they rank our trauma. How frightening a thought if that were true. As with any medical school, there are always waaay more applicants than seats. Its just the way it is. We have no real insight as to how they choose to extend interviews. We will never know. But i still believe it is a wonderful opportunity to give a handful of students an opportunity to fulfill a life goal of becoming a physician, when their stats might not suggest that. As someone who has received an interview, i can tell you my transcripts have every letter under the sun, several times over. And the number of times ive taken the MCAT is actually embarrassing. It’s something that I personally will have to work out in the future. Because at times i do not feel worthy. That being said, my interviewer, a white male, came into the interview seeming to know my story better than me. It was the first time i felt seen and understood and didnt feel ashamed of my journey from someone in admissions. I sincerely hope more interviews are extended, we know we need the validation of being seen. I see you all. Keep your head up! Every one of you are in my prayers!
My grades were also not stellar and I’ve had a wide range of experiences. Some traumatic, some not so traumatic. I chose to write about a little bit of everything in my personal statement and DPMS essay. The questions that came up during my interview were not at all intrusive, even though we went into depth regarding my essays. Hardship is the name of the game for almost all of us on this thread, but at least from my experience, I had the opportunity to talk about it as much/little as I wanted. And all of it was respectful and spun in a positive light. The second half of my interview was almost entirely about my hobbies because I think my interviewer really did want to know me.

I would hope they didn’t sit in a room and choose us because our lives have been hard, but in spite of it.

Either way, it can really suck. It’s an exhausting process and can feel like you’re being exploited if somebody isn’t respectful of your boundaries. I’ve been in academic medicine for quite a while, and I urge everybody to establish hard lines regarding what they’re willing to discuss and how far they’re willing to discuss it. You never have to share something you’re not comfortable with, and if you think a person/program isn’t respecting you, it’s not the person/program for you.

My grades were also not stellar and I’ve had a wide range of experiences. Some traumatic, some not so traumatic. I chose to write about a little bit of everything in my personal statement and DPMS essay. The questions that came up during my interview were not at all intrusive, even though we went into depth regarding my essays. Hardship is the name of the game for almost all of us on this thread, but at least from my experience, I had the opportunity to talk about it as much/little as I wanted. And all of it was respectful and spun in a positive light. The second half of my interview was almost entirely about my hobbies because I think my interviewer really did want to know me.

I would hope they didn’t sit in a room and choose us because our lives have been hard, but in spite of it.

Either way, it can really suck. It’s an exhausting process and can feel like you’re being exploited if somebody isn’t respectful of your boundaries. I’ve been in academic medicine for quite a while, and I urge everybody to establish hard lines regarding what they’re willing to discuss and how far they’re willing to discuss it. You never have to share something you’re not comfortable with, and if you think a person/program isn’t respecting you, it’s not the person/program for you.
Agreed! My interviewer made no mentions of my life experiences, unrelated to academics and medicine. Just wanted to get to know me.

Last edited:
I’m glad you all had good interviewing experiences, I low key felt like my interviewer was just checking off boxes of question they had to ask and did not really try to get to know me in depth? Idk they didn’t even ask follow up questions, just rapid fire. I wish so had more questions about my essays or my experiences so I could relate them in a way I hadn’t on paper, actually.
SAME x1000000

I’m glad you all had good interviewing experiences, I low key felt like my interviewer was just checking off boxes of question they had to ask and did not really try to get to know me in depth? Idk they didn’t even ask follow up questions, just rapid fire. I wish so had more questions about my essays or my experiences so I could relate them in a way I hadn’t on paper, actually.
Same! Mine felt a bit impersonal and I feel really disappointed.

Last edited:
I used to work for someone who was on a medical school adcom and honestly it’s really about the person who interviews you. A lot of people get unlucky and get an interviewer who maybe had a really horrible day, or one who just got done with 20 back to back interviews. The doctor I worked for was a wonderful woman, but she also worked at the school and hospital full time while raising 3 kids. She had good and bad days when reviewing apps and sometimes she just felt like skimming while other days she read in full. So the anxiety that some people who already interviewed feels is completely valid.

I understand that we want to spread positivity, but it isn’t a secret that this is a draining process. Definitely worth it and, yes, we did sign up for this. But it’s good to let it out sometimes with like-minded peers who understand the struggles. I know each and every one of us would do it again if we needed to. But there’s a slightly higher level of uncertainty for those who didn’t interview yet, so I get it! It’s exhausting to constantly smile and pretend like we’re doing ok when we’re really dying a little inside hahah so it’s awesome that we have a thread like this to share our concerns :)

I used to work for someone who was on a medical school adcom and honestly it’s really about the person who interviews you. A lot of people get unlucky and get an interviewer who maybe had a really horrible day, or one who just got done with 20 back to back interviews. The doctor I worked for was a wonderful woman, but she also worked at the school and hospital full time while raising 3 kids. She had good and bad days when reviewing apps and sometimes she just felt like skimming while other days she read in full. So the anxiety that some people who already interviewed feels is completely valid.

I understand that we want to spread positivity, but it isn’t a secret that this is a draining process. Definitely worth it and, yes, we did sign up for this. But it’s good to let it out sometimes with like-minded peers who understand the struggles. I know each and every one of us would do it again if we needed to. But there’s a slightly higher level of uncertainty for those who didn’t interview yet, so I get it! It’s exhausting to constantly smile and pretend like we’re doing ok when we’re really dying a little inside hahah so it’s awesome that we have a thread like this to share our concerns :)
This is very true! My interviewer went so in depth about the personal experiences I mentioned in my essays. He was so intrigued and honestly I wasn’t expecting that. So def depends on the interviewer 🥺 I wish they were all like that.

Reactions: 3 users
totally echo this sentiment. my interviewer also was so good about just getting to know me. it felt so good to feel that someone was interested in me, my story, my background, and my experiences. wishing everyone on this thread, II or waiting on a decision the best vibes. we will all get there one day or another.

Any updates for those that were still waiting on interviews?

For those of you who scheduled for the May 20th casper but haven't gotten an interview - are you still going to take it?
Nah I’m going to change it honestly, I’m sure if there’s more interviews coming, they’ll move the deadline for the CASPER for a later date. At least I hope.

Nah I’m going to change it honestly, I’m sure if there’s more interviews coming, they’ll move the deadline for the CASPER for a later date. At least I hope.
May I add, I’m retaking the MCAT tomorrow so I don’t want to do two things in a day 😭. If you’re not in a time constraint, id take the CASPER anyways. it’ll likely be needed some other time.

Ya I emailed them about status update and they just told me to check the timeline on the website LOL I’m done with these people

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
May I add, I’m retaking the MCAT tomorrow so I don’t want to do two things in a day 😭. If you’re not in a time constraint, id take the CASPER anyways. it’ll likely be needed some other time.
Good luck!!!!

• Care
Any updates for those that were still waiting on interviews?
No updates here. I have thrown in the towel! I have mentally come to the conclusion that no more II will be sent out. Maybe I am wrong, but it does help put me at ease.

Does anyone know any details about the new CASPer components? Typically it's just the 1.5hr situational test. But when I got the email for my scheduled test tomorrow it says I have to also take SNAPSHOT (one way 10 min interview) and DUET (15 min value alignment). Honestly wtf. This is so damn extra. I haven't heard of any schools that are even requiring those other components. If any of you know anything about this please let me know.

Does anyone know any details about the new CASPer components? Typically it's just the 1.5hr situational test. But when I got the email for my scheduled test tomorrow it says I have to also take SNAPSHOT (one way 10 min interview) and DUET (15 min value alignment). Honestly wtf. This is so damn extra. I haven't heard of any schools that are even requiring those other components. If any of you know anything about this please let me know.
Weird! I took the CASPer last May and none of the MD programs I applied to required it if I remember correctly. I just checked Drexel's MD Admissions site and no mention of the additional components.

I took the May 4 casper and also saw ab snapshot and duet so I emailed the host of my interview. she told me we only needed to do casper, not the other two. the other are actually required for this regular med school app cycle by most med schools though so if you’re planning to apply to med school this cycle I would get that done within the time frame it says to (I think it’s 10 days after your casper date).

I took the May 4 casper and also saw ab snapshot and duet so I emailed the host of my interview. she told me we only needed to do casper, not the other two. the other are actually required for this regular med school app cycle by most med schools though so if you’re planning to apply to med school this cycle I would get that done within the time frame it says to (I think it’s 10 days after your casper date).
Yeah, that's what I just found out. When will they ever be satisfied with how much they require from a person!!
Thank you for the feedback though :)

• Haha
Required by most med schools?? They keep increasing what we have to do lol. Although if you wanted to know someone's "value alignment" for med school just interview them! :cool:

• Haha
Weird! I took the CASPer last May and none of the MD programs I applied to required it if I remember correctly. I just checked Drexel's MD Admissions site and no mention of the additional components.
Same! I took it in August 2020 and it was never a requirement; I don't need it for DPMS bc my previous score is valid, I'm just taking it just in case. But, it does seem like schools will be adding those extra components for future application cycles. My guess is that they will keep doing zoom interviews out of convenience and just continue to ask you to complete extra s***t to get as much possible info about an applicant. I can definitely see the pros, it's just very EXTRA in my opinion. I'm genuinely very much over this whole thing, so I'm just venting lol.

Hi guys, just wondering if anybody else on here interviewed on here for GEMS at Georgetown ? and how they will be deciding if accepted to both? Also is anyone else concerned about the course load for DPMS? I'm ready to put in work if accepted, but that's not to say that 44 credit hours in less than a year isn't terrifying lol. I feel that everyone on here is very supportive and collaborative so that makes me feel better.

Required by most med schools?? They keep increasing what we have to do lol. Although if you wanted to know someone's "value alignment" for med school just interview them! :cool:
it’s new this cycle. I have a lot of friends applying and they’ve either just completed it or getting ready to do all 3 🥲🤡 looks like it’s a new component of the 2021-2022 cycle. I cant keep up lol. Casper wasn’t bad though. Just a lot of stuff to get to forsure! stressful when trying to make everything perfect for the best shot at acceptance

Hi guys, just wondering if anybody else on here interviewed on here for GEMS at Georgetown ? and how they will be deciding if accepted to both? Also is anyone else concerned about the course load for DPMS? I'm ready to put in work if accepted, but that's not to say that 44 credit hours in less than a year isn't terrifying lol. I feel that everyone on here is very supportive and collaborative so that makes me feel better.
i’m also terrified of the course load but ready to put all my work in. due to financial circumstances, though, i’ve been working all this past spring semester and my contract w the hospital goes through end of july... If accepted into dpms, i’m going to reach out to someone because I can’t quit my summer job (literally cannot jump out of the contract). def not working fall and spring though. happy that everyone here is really open and supportive. hoping it’s like that in person!

i’m also terrified of the course load but ready to put all my work in. due to financial circumstances, though, i’ve been working all this past spring semester and my contract w the hospital goes through end of july... If accepted into dpms, i’m going to reach out to someone because I can’t quit my summer job (literally cannot jump out of the contract). def not working fall and spring though. happy that everyone here is really open and supportive. hoping it’s like that in person!

I'm lowkey (very) excited about the possibility of meeting people from this thread in Philly as part of the cohort

sex and the city friendship GIF

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
GOOD MORNING! Lets start anxious day #1000000

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Do you guys think tomorrow will be the day? like I cant imagine they wait ANOTHER week to tell us.

Do you guys think tomorrow will be the day? like I cant imagine they wait ANOTHER week to tell us.
I just assumed it would be next week based off last years thread! But really eager to know and would love an answer tomorrow 😅

Im thinking next fri. But if its tomorrow, id be more than okay. Lol

Officially rejected but I am wishing everyone else the best of luck and hoping you all hear some good news soon!!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users