Endodontic Residency Interviews 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here from Pitt?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your application to U of Pacific. I mean when you got the completed application confirmation email?
Submitted PASS June 9th.
Confirmation from UoP June 20th.
Call from UoP July 17.

When did you submit your application to U of Pacific. I mean when you got the completed application confirmation email?
Submitted July 11 and got the confirmation that day.

Submitted July 11 and got the confirmation that day.
I got confirmation email of completed application on 27th of June. I think I am not invited because it's on rolling basis invitation.

I got confirmation email of completed application on 27th of June. I think I am not invited because it's on rolling basis invitation.

MTBer sent in the application after you and still got invite. AFAIK UoP only has one interview day so it wouldn't be rolling.
Stay positive. You'll hear from other schools or possibly even from them if someone drops out last minute. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
MTBer sent in the application after you and still got invite. AFAIK UoP only has one interview day so it wouldn't be rolling.
Stay positive. You'll hear from other schools or possibly even from them if someone drops out last minute. Best of luck!
People are already dropping out of interviews so dont lose hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Today, San Antonio was kind enough to inform me that I'm not being invited for an interview.

Got the phone call from UoP a couple of days ago.

Apparently NYU sent out invites for their second round of interviews on August 14th - still waiting!

Any word on PENN? Anyone get an application complete email or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah on July 9th!
Yes I received mine on June 27.
Doesn’t USC have several rounds of interviews usually (according to previous threads)? I received my application complete email from usc on July 2. Haven’t heard back anything else from them yet. Anyone contacted them or have any recent info? Thanks!

Yes I received mine on June 27.
Doesn’t USC have several rounds of interviews usually (according to previous threads)? I received my application complete email from usc on July 2. Haven’t heard back anything else from them yet. Anyone contacted them or have any recent info? Thanks!

USC sent out invites on Monday for interviews on Aug 7.

VA Manhattan - 3 Aug (snail mail)

Today, San Antonio was kind enough to inform me that I'm not being invited for an interview.
Wow sorry.. good luck with the the rest of ur applications!
I didn’t receive anything from San Antonio though.. neither an invitation nor a rejection, ill wait and see..

Btw does anyone know what’s going on with Case Western? Did they send their invitations?

Michigan interview invitations sent last week. Good luck to all interviewing.

Apparently stony brook sent out interview invites already and interview date is 8/2

For us who still haven't interviewed, what are the programs looking for? What sets one candidate apart from others (other than GPA)?

For us who still haven't interviewed, what are the programs looking for? What sets one candidate apart from others (other than GPA)?

Thank you for asking this. Looking for an answer myself. Hope we get some insight.

It is totally program dependant. Different programs look for different candidates. I can only speak from what I know and if you were called to an interview forget about GPA and that kind of BS. If you were selected to interview means there are something interesting in you. An interview is to evaluate if your personality and objectives match what the program is looking for. The approach should be what can you bring to the program and not go there and make silly questions about what the program can give you. Show you know what you getting into, show that you know why you getting into it and just be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard from UIC (Chicago) or Marquette yet?

It is totally program dependant. Different programs look for different candidates. I can only speak from what I know and if you were called to an interview forget about GPA and that kind of BS. If you were selected to interview means there are something interesting in you. An interview is to evaluate if your personality and objectives match what the program is looking for. The approach should be what can you bring to the program and not go there and make silly questions about what the program can give you. Show you know what you getting into, show that you know why you getting into it and just be yourself.

I've seen a lot of good people "be themselves" and they don't get accepted. I myself have a terrible GPA but I'm an experienced dentist. One of the things I can add to the program is my experience and a perspective that the fresh grads don't have, and that kinda worries me because the program I like has 4 residents 3 of which were fresh grads.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen a lot of good people "be themselves" and they don't get accepted. I myself have a terrible GPA but I'm an experienced dentist. One of the things I can add to the program is my experience and a perspective that the fresh grads don't have, and that kinda worries me because the program I like has 4 residents 3 of which were fresh grads.
Which program is the one you like that has 3 new grads? If possible, I would try to contact the residents of the program you like and find out more regarding what the program director is looking for in their residents, they can usually give you more insight. I would recommend that you try to find programs that value experience and more seasoned dentists and apply for those ones as well.

Got the phone call from UoP a couple of days ago.

Apparently NYU sent out invites for their second round of interviews on August 14th - still waiting!

It seems like UoP is a popular program people are applying to even though the tuition is super high. Can anyone provide insight on the program and what they like about the program?

Which program is the one you like that has 3 new grads? If possible, I would try to contact the residents of the program you like and find out more regarding what the program director is looking for in their residents, they can usually give you more insight. I would recommend that you try to find programs that value experience and more seasoned dentists and apply for those ones as well.
Does anyone by chance know which program in particular value experience more highly than academic statistics? I assume that most cases.. the better the GPA, Rank, more experience, the better.. but which schools tend to be more likely to look beyond that?

Does anyone by chance know which program in particular value experience more highly than academic statistics? I assume that most cases.. the better the GPA, Rank, more experience, the better.. but which schools tend to be more likely to look beyond that?
Any VA program or hospital based program will want good experience. As for a typical university program, they really vary year to year. Every program that focuses on clinical endodontics will want at least one experienced resident because they will help the students straight out of school with the restorative aspect of endodontics. It also depends on what candidates a department head can get that year. If he/she gets one that has a lot of experience, good back ground, class rank, etc. (cream of the crop) then they will try and build around that candidate. So they could bring in someone with no experience, but fantastic stats out of school. The department head looks through apps and develops the plan for the perfect class, but that doesn’t always work out because candidates choose to go elsewhere. So anything can happen, which is why students right out of school have a shot and candidates with less than phenomenal stats, but great experience have a shot.

Last edited:
Yea, I’m curious which program this is? 3 fresh new grads would initially require a lot of oversight from faculty. Doesn’t mean they don’t become fantastic endodontists, but there is a huge learning curve coming right out of school.

Anyone else sitting on 1 interview and starting to get concerned?

I submitted PASS very late, received an interview invite the next day at a top program, then nothing since. Starting to feel a lot of pressure for this one interview.

Looks like this week is pretty much last chance for invites at most programs. Maybe some invites later for the expensive private schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else sitting on 1 interview and starting to get concerned?

I submitted PASS very late, received an interview invite the next day at a top program, then nothing since. Starting to feel a lot of pressure for this one interview.

Looks like this week is pretty much last chance for invites at most programs. Maybe some invites later for the expensive private schools.

Similar situation here despite applying early. I hear the competition this year is especially tough. Really thought my GPA, years of experience and great letters of rec would help get some decent interviews but apparently, endo needs more. I just wish I knew what that was.

nope you are not the only one. I basically did what other residnets and program
Directors suggested to have solid application and only recieved one invite. Idk maybe there are alot of strong candidates for this cycle.
The only thing that makes me wonder is the Adat test. The programs i applied did not require it but they accepted it. Maybe they put a great emphasis on it this cycle.

Last edited:
nope you are not the only one. I basically did what other residnets and program
Directors suggested to have solid application and only recieved one invite. Idk maybe there are alot of strong candidates for this cycle.
The only thing that makes me wonder is the Adat test. The programs i applied did not require it but they accepted it. Maybe they put a great emphasis on it this cycle.

I have ADAT too! :laugh:
I just hope we get in somewhere so we don't have to go through this again.

University of Alabama at Birmingham-July 13 and 20, Email
Loma Linda University
University of California at Los Angeles
University of California at San Francisco- July 24, email
University of Southern California- Aug 7
University of the Pacific- August 6, phone
University of Connecticut- July 6 or 13, phone
Nova Southeastern University
University of Florida-July 26 and 27, phone
Georgia Regents University-July 30
University of Illinois at Chicago - July 26,27
Indiana University - Aug 2
University of Iowa- July 13 (phone call)
University of Louisville-July 20 and 23, Phone
Louisiana State University- AUG 3, Phone
University of Maryland - Aug 1
Boston University
Harvard University - acceptances sent
Tufts University- July 30, July 31, August 1, August 2 (email)
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan- Aug 7
University of Minnesota- July 27,30 (email)
Saint Louis University- July 10,email
University of Missouri-Kansas City July 25
University of Nebraska- Aug 9th and 10th, email
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
Columbia University
Lutheran Medical Center
New York University - July 31
NYU Langone - July 26/27 email

State University of New York at Stony Brook - Aug 2
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York- Aug 20,21,22, Email
University of North Carolina - July 16
Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State University (July 23rd)
Oregon Health & Science University - July 25,26 email
Albert Einstein Medical Center- July 23, phone
Temple University-Aug 2 and 3, email
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee-July 18, email
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry-July 16,, Phone
University of Texas at Houston- July 30
University of Texas at San Antonio - Aug 3rd
Virginia Commonwealth University- AUG 3, Email
University of Washington- July 6 or July 9, Phone
West Virginia University-Aug 10
Marquette University - Aug 3 or 10

One question they almost always all is "what's your greatest weakness"? I never know how to answer that question. I either answer it with a stupid deal-breaking answer or I mumble some incoherent sentences. Any insight?

Has anyone heard from Nova? According to their website the interview process started 7/17 but I'm not sure if this means they are beginning to look at applications at that time or start actual interviews then.

One question they almost always all is "what's your greatest weakness"? I never know how to answer that question. I either answer it with a stupid deal-breaking answer or I mumble some incoherent sentences. Any insight?
you say your biggest weakness is answering that specific question.