MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don’t worry y’all, I worked like a dog and don’t feel any more prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
If it makes you feel any better I had a very similar clinical experience. Very few notes, little consistency, varying expectations. In all honesty I think I had 3 solid rotations in 2 years. So I really really get how you feel. But we can learn all this stuff. It’s gonna suck for a bit though lol.
I think i only had one true rotation to open my eyes to what comes with residency. I was treated like an intern and had all the intern responsibilities

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t worry y’all, I worked like a dog and don’t feel any more prepared.
This helps.

im just overwhelmed right now. I suck at mornings and almost all of my rotations start at 530-6 am.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting their licensing fees and licensing exams (step3/comlex3) refunded? Woot woot!

The benefits are real, I keep learning about new ones. Still figuring out how to set up the iPhone they gave us and wondering how I’ll spend all this lunch money. Coming from a stingy/broke med school, all these small things make it feel like we are VIPs. Very happy with my coresidents too, everyone is really cool and normal.

Reactions: 5 users
The benefits are real, I keep learning about new ones. Still figuring out how to set up the iPhone they gave us and wondering how I’ll spend all this lunch money. Coming from a stingy/broke med school, all these small things make it feel like we are VIPs. Very happy with my coresidents too, everyone is really cool and normal.
I’m glad so far things are working out.
I learned that while we don’t get specific things refunded, we get $1200 added to our paycheck for food stipend and we get so much a month for an educational allowance. The residents told us in the beginning they didn’t know what we get so I’m ecstatic.

I’m glad so far things are working out.
I learned that while we don’t get specific things refunded, we get $1200 added to our paycheck for food stipend and we get so much a month for an educational allowance. The residents told us in the beginning they didn’t know what we get so I’m ecstatic.
Honestly extra $ >>>>> mandated card/tickets for food! That’s great!

"Hey HowAreYaNow, have you guys engaged in epic training or hospital wide orientation?"

No, chief residents. In fact, we were told to utilize this employees only portal with no ability to actually access it! And riddle me this, chief residents, how is it that our GME office can send all this stuff yet can't be bothered to answer our emails?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Wow
  • Angry
"Hey HowAreYaNow, have you guys engaged in epic training or hospital wide orientation?"

No, chief residents. In fact, we were told to utilize this employees only portal with no ability to actually access it! And riddle me this, chief residents, how is it that our GME office can send all this stuff yet can't be bothered to answer our emails?

That’s obnoxious.

Reactions: 2 users
At your guys' programs, or just in general, do paid sick leave days kind of just never get used if you don't get sick?

I honestly think there would be less confusion if we were doing in person orientation. Because chances are we would have already logged into the portal/network. We’ve had the same confusion because it seems all the stuff they’re currently referencing in orientation requires login to the portal which none of us currently can access so it’s confusing.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Figs came today. They are super comfortable. I definitely could have done a size small, but i got the joggers and im sure i’ll be thankful for the extra room.

Figs came today. They are super comfortable. I definitely could have done a size small, but i got the joggers and im sure i’ll be thankful for the extra room.
I’m going to order a few pairs I think. I’m so sad the mauve is sold out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never encountered a more detailed and involved orientation and it's just been two days. There are so many different things to keep track of - licensing, loans, retirement, COVID, training, etc etc etc :confused:

Since orientation has started ive sat through 14 hours of EMR training. My brain is no longer able to process what to do.

Since orientation has started ive sat through 14 hours of EMR training. My brain is no longer able to process what to do.
Lol we had a day of EMR training too. It’s cruel and unusual punishment.

Lol we had a day of EMR training too. It’s cruel and unusual punishment.
I rotate at three different hospitals so two EMRs. So extra sucky. Plus online assignments. And guess what?! I still dont know how to work them

I’m 99% sure I’ve forgotten everything from my EMR training and I’m just gonna wing it and hope for the best.

Reactions: 8 users
I’m 99% sure I’ve forgotten everything from my EMR training and I’m just gonna wing it and hope for the best.
Same. I have no other choice lol

Idk how im gonna survive call on my first day. Shoot me

Every resident who has come and talked to us has said this is how it is for everyone and they all get through it! I think you’re on the right track.

Every resident who has come and talked to us has said this is how it is for everyone and they all get through it! I think you’re on the right track.
I was recently talking to a friend of mine from med school who basically said the same thing about intern year in general, that the first few weeks suck for everyone but that you survive and get better at it.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine from med school who basically said the same thing about intern year in general, that the first few weeks suck for everyone but that you survive and get better at it.

I had the opportunity to rotate with the same resident when I was an M3 and she was an intern and then again when I was an M4 and she was a PGY2. Night and day. Completely confident and competent as a senior. Definitely a mess as an intern. Hopefully she thought the same of me and my growth haha.

Not gonna lie I’m not too excited about struggling and not knowing stuff and sucking at life. I can’t help but feel med school should have been more useful. Lol especially the one I went to. Could be a lot more relevant. But instead we spent 25000 hours talking about professionalism. (Ok I’m salty)

Reactions: 7 users
I think spending the last 3 months sitting at home binge-watching Netflix, eating and sleeping all day has unfortunately made me lack the energy to meet up with fellow interns or do social things. I don't even feel like leaving my couch haha.

I’ve put on enough weight over the last 3 months of just being lazy that my white coat is a little tight in the shoulders. Whoops.

Last edited:
I’ve put on enough weight over the last 3 months of just being lazy that my white coat is a little right in the shoulders. Whoops.
As one does

I’ve put on enough weight over the last 3 months of just being lazy that my white coat is a little right in the shoulders. Whoops.
Same. Some of my pants are now unprofessionally tight. Using it as an excuse to buy some new work wear.

Same. Some of my pants are now unprofessionally tight. Using it as an excuse to buy some new work wear.
Ive been doing that but theyre only wearing scrubs right now so i also got those lol

So jealous! For us scrubs are only allowed nights and weekends.
COVID. It got hit hard so they dont want anyone taking their hospital clothes home with them.

COVID. It got hit hard so they dont want anyone taking their hospital clothes home with them.

Same for us. Scrubs are allowed at all times, even for clinic. I'm super glad I don't have to iron any dress clothes for a while haha

Same for us. Scrubs are allowed at all times, even for clinic. I'm super glad I don't have to iron any dress clothes for a while haha
They only ask that we wear a white coat while in clinic if youre going to wear scrubs. Then launder it.

my program offers us meal money added to our ID cards but we can opt out of it and have that money put in our paychecks instead. i'm so tempted to just keep it in my paycheck but i feel like there's gonna be days where i don't wanna bring my own food

my program offers us meal money added to our ID cards but we can opt out of it and have that money put in our paychecks instead. i'm so tempted to just keep it in my paycheck but i feel like there's gonna be days where i don't wanna bring my own food
Can’t you just have it go to your paycheck and use a credit/debit card or something on those days?

Can’t you just have it go to your paycheck and use a credit/debit card or something on those days?
i think if i keep the $ on my ID card, it doesn't get taxed

The imposter syndrome is real y’all

Reactions: 8 users
I love that this has become y’all’s residency venting/support thread.
The attendings in the residency threads can be kinda mean so its nice to have a place to check in and chat.

Reactions: 5 users
Remember you said that when you’re an attending so you are nicer lol.
A wise lesson from a then-intern when I was an m3: never ever ever forget what it felt like to be a medical student (or in my case a rising pgy1).

• Love
So apparently the Evals we do for medical students go into their MSPE. They told us we need to make sure to include things they did well and ways they can improve.
No way I’m doing that to those kids. Unless you’re the worst medical student I’ve ever interacted with you’re getting no negative comments on paper. Might give some face to face feedback, but why be like “intentionally say bad things that go onto their residency application”

Reactions: 19 users
So apparently the Evals we do for medical students go into their MSPE. They told us we need to make sure to include things they did well and ways they can improve.
No way I’m doing that to those kids. Unless you’re the worst medical student I’ve ever interacted with you’re getting no negative comments on paper. Might give some face to face feedback, but why be like “intentionally say bad things that go onto their residency application”

You the real MVP.

Wow, that’s horrible

On call tonight. Delirium has hit