MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think ECT has a bad rep. A lot of people think of One Flew Over the ****oos Nest when they think of ECT and want no part of that.
It’s also terrifying.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my clinic week so I'm chilling. Had my continuity clinic today, was supposed to visit with 3 patients but two got cancelled so I had a single 30 minute video visit with a pretty uncomplicated patient.

I remember med student me would think that it was an unproductive day and would want more but now as an intern who's seen the exact opposite (started off with a few 80-85 hour weeks on inpatient and was honestly in a daze) and knowing I'll be put through the ringer over the next 3 years I'm incredibly appreciative of any chill days or mindless half-days shadowing in subspecialty clinic

Reactions: 6 users
How is everyone this week?!
On night shift in psych emergency and LOVING it. I think perhaps in non-pandemic times I would be more bothered by being off-tempo with the rest of the world. But for now it’s great. The flow is perfect - busy at the beginning, slow at the end with time for notes. Everything tends to be more streamlined, though there does seem to be an increased chance for bizarre things to happen.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in my clinic week so I'm chilling. Had my continuity clinic today, was supposed to visit with 3 patients but two got cancelled so I had a single 30 minute video visit with a pretty uncomplicated patient.

I remember med student me would think that it was an unproductive day and would want more but now as an intern who's seen the exact opposite (started off with a few 80-85 hour weeks on inpatient and was honestly in a daze) and knowing I'll be put through the ringer over the next 3 years I'm incredibly appreciative of any chill days or mindless half-days shadowing in subspecialty clinic
Im not even allowed to do televisits yet lol

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve experienced how difficult the social aspect of discharges can be. I kept thinking it can’t be my job to figure it out... but I guess it is. Otherwise liking the current service a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t realize you all were still going!

I’m off service this month and it blows. I’ll have 77 hours this week with no days off, but don’t worry I have 2 non consecutive ones in another week to make up for no day off this week so I guess it’s ok to sacrifice my sanity.

I want back on psych dammit

Reactions: 5 users
I didn’t realize you all were still going!

I’m off service this month and it blows. I’ll have 77 hours this week with no days off, but don’t worry I have 2 non consecutive ones in another week to make up for no day off this week so I guess it’s ok to sacrifice my sanity.

I want back on psych dammit
That sounds awful. Im lucky i guess in that i have very few weekend days required this year at all. My two service months and inpatient peds are all six days weeks. I have 5 weekend call says this whole year lol then there’s EM, but that’s shift stuff so it is no biggie.

That sounds awful. Im lucky i guess in that i have very few weekend days required this year at all. My two service months and inpatient peds are all six days weeks. I have 5 weekend call says this whole year lol then there’s EM, but that’s shift stuff so it is no biggie.
I’m glad you all have a friendly schedule.
The schedule I have now is just dumb. They have an extra intern on service because it’s early but it’s also a historically low census.
Instead of saying “nah you all can leave early one intern just stay since it’s not busy, we can alternate who stays” or “since we’re at a historically low census why don’t we give everyone an extra day off?” It’s sit there and baby sit a pager for 11 hours everyday. It’s the worst. I’ve had as little as 2 patients. I’ve capped out at 6 out of 10 possible. It’s just balls.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I’m glad you all have a friendly schedule.
The schedule I have now is just dumb. They have an extra intern on service because it’s early but it’s also a historically low census.
Instead of saying “nah you all can leave early one intern just stay since it’s not busy, we can alternate who stays” or “since we’re at a historically low census why don’t we give everyone an extra day off?” It’s sit there and baby sit a pager for 11 hours everyday. It’s the worst. I’ve had as little as 2 patients. I’ve capped out at 6 out of 10 possible. It’s just balls.
My home hospital has a super low census too. I legit cannot stand the having to sit there babysitting the pager thing.... if there are two interns, take turns.

im a visiting resident somewhere else and we had a census of like 22 today. I capped at 8. It was a longggg day

I got my first med student eval to fill out. It is real now.

hope everyone is doing okay!

im stressed and stuck with a gunner sub-i who has no issues completely stepping over me for opportunities to do things.

• Wow

im stressed and stuck with a gunner sub-i who has no issues completely stepping over me for opportunities to do things.
Oopfh sorry about that.
I’ve already had to fill out 11 evals. And those are just from my psych rotation. I haven’t gotten them from my off service stuff yet. I’ve stopped enjoying them lol

I mean you’re the one evaluating him right? Can’t you just tell him he’s being an ass and if he wants a good eval he better cut it out?

Oopfh sorry about that.
I’ve already had to fill out 11 evals. And those are just from my psych rotation. I haven’t gotten them from my off service stuff yet. I’ve stopped enjoying them lol
This is my first real rotation with med students. My program doesnt currently have med students rotating (but my school plans on sending them in october ive seen)

Oh, got it. You’re evaluating the M3 but also have a crappy sub I with you. I mean you’re the intern right? Maybe it’s different with civilians but I’d just tell him to back off.
Yeah im the intern.
The chiefs let her get away with it though.

Yeah im the intern.
The chiefs let her get away with it though.

Did you bring up your concerns directly with your chiefs or were you hoping they’d notice and intervene? At their level, they won’t get the sense of what’s happening unless you bring it up to them.

At some point you have to directly tell the sub-I they’re stepping out of line. Sorry to say but this will continue to happen throughout your career at every level unless you speak up.

Edit:
Talk to SubI first and if he/she doesn’t listen then bring it up to the cheifs. Kiss of death for that student when a chief hears from a resident that the student got feedback and didn’t listen.

Edit #2:
Probably just an over enthusiastic subi who doesn’t know they are out of line. Probably a 5 min sit down about expectations is all that is needed.

Last edited:
I am lol
My own fault for not saying anything though.
Id seriously Just talk to them.
I had a talk with a 3rd year who was a bit overzealous and overbearing about boundaries and knowing when Not to speak up. he was very appreciative, changed his actions and gave me a glowing eval.

Id seriously Just talk to them.
I had a talk with a 3rd year who was a bit overzealous and overbearing about boundaries and knowing when Not to speak up. he was very appreciative, changed his actions and gave me a glowing eval.
I need to. It wasnt only me it was effecting. There was an M3 on the team too.

This is my first rotation with med students and I loved having the m3 and m4 around they’re both trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. I also like the company. I was sad when the m3 finished their rotation.

The call night on medicine kinda kills. Having to round in the morning after being up all night and then working on potential discharges just is painful.

Also I hate when attendings and seniors ask a question and then you answer correctly but they don’t react right away so you change your answer... does that happen to other people?

Also I hate when attendings and seniors ask a question and then you answer correctly but they don’t react right away so you change your answer... does that happen to other people?
Usually I say my answer and if they don’t respond I say “no?”. But most of the time they will tell me if I’m wrong haha.

Usually I say my answer and if they don’t respond I say “no?”. But most of the time they will tell me if I’m wrong haha.
Lol I gotta try that. It’s kinda weird because like my answer has been right or partially right at times so I wonder if it’s a tactic to see if I’ll stick to my answer or maybe they’re hard of hearing

This is my first rotation with med students and I loved having the m3 and m4 around they’re both trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. I also like the company. I was sad when the m3 finished their rotation.
My M3 and i got along really well. Sad he isnt on days next week. But we’ll be reunited on nights the following week

@ciestar we got a new 3rd year and he already got on my nerves. He’s all too exited to try to answer questions on rounds that I just got wrong. I’m like dude come on... you don’t need to be excited lol. Just act normal.

@ciestar we got a new 3rd year and he already got on my nerves. He’s all too exited to try to answer questions on rounds that I just got wrong. I’m like dude come on... you don’t need to be excited lol. Just act normal.
That’s cringey lol

I feel like pimp questions should be fair game for everyone BUT, shouldn’t students have the first chance to answer with residents getting the second chance? That was how I’ve seen it done and it eliminates this. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like pimp questions should be fair game for everyone BUT, shouldn’t students have the first chance to answer with residents getting the second chance? That was how I’ve seen it done and it eliminates this. Sorry you have to deal with this.
This. Exactly this.
id pull my M3 aside and just let them know that. Some people would get trashed on evals for that reason

I’ve had both. The only time I feel comfortable chiming in as an M4 on a team with residents and fellows to a question asked to the group is if the attending asks for a questions that has a long list of responses and they’ve already named some. Like, “what all should we do now about this patient?” Or “what could the ddx be?” Or “name causes of post-op fever”. (Just random examples).

I’ve had both. The only time I feel comfortable chiming in as an M4 on a team with residents and fellows to a question asked to the group is if the attending asks for a questions that has a long list of responses and they’ve already named some. Like, “what all should we do now about this patient?” Or “what could the ddx be?” Or “name causes of post-op fever”. (Just random examples).
I think it’s perfectly reasonable to chime in. It’s just a matter of being chill about it. Like understanding that you’re part of the team and not competing with the team lol.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to chime in. It’s just a matter of being chill about it. Like understanding that you’re part of the team and not competing with the team lol.

Maybe it’ll tank my grade but if an attending asks an intern or a resident a question they don’t know, I’d probably act like I don’t know either even if I did.

Maybe it’ll tank my grade but if an attending asks an intern or a resident a question they don’t know, I’d probably act like I don’t know either even if I did.
Lol I think you can answer! Just not enthusiastically

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Also got 10 mins of straight negative feedback from an attending today. I’m like I would know more and have better plans if the residency would actually teach me something.... so far it’s just me up to dating stuff and praying for the best.

• Sad
  • Angry
Will i ever be not upset about not getting my #1?

My PCP graduated from my number one, spoke to them tonight, and my bitterness has returned.

Honestly, other than my one co-intern, I dont feel like I belong or fit in with everyone else.

(im getting depressed again)

i was really hoping this all would improve but it isnt.

• Care
Also got 10 mins of straight negative feedback from an attending today. I’m like I would know more and have better plans if the residency would actually teach me something.... so far it’s just me up to dating stuff and praying for the best.
I feel like that’s coming for me. My FM service block is my first medicine block of internship. So, four blocks of non-medicine before I do it. I feel like im gonna be behind, knowledge wise but especially doing admissions.

I had a super annoying M3 the last few weeks on wards. She was constantly trying to flex her UW/Step 1 knowledge and ask excessive questions on patients she wasn't following which led to rounds being prolonged unnecessarily. And when the other M3 (who was more normal/nice) would be presenting her patients, she'd look things up and try to step in and answer if the attending asked. I'm really glad my senior let them leave early every day and they had the weekends off. The few times she carried patients with me it was irritating hearing her act as if she knew a lot more than me. Thankfully the M4 was stellar and helped out a ton.

Honestly though I don't even blame her that much. There's a lot of pressure on M3s with all the subjective evals and constantly feeling the need to impress.