Good places to live in Des Moines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boboo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nice place, with all the fixins for a single male. Any ideas? :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

During years 1 and 2 I lived at 3000 Grand Apartments right by campus. They are a little spendy, but they are nice. Plus the vast majority of people that live there are either medical students or retired individuals so it is always quiet. Windsor Terrace is also close to school. Not quite as nice, but more affordable. There are many nice complexes in West Des Moines, however, you would be looking at a 15-20 minute drive everyday (25-30 in the winters if it gets icy). Personally, I loved being able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before a test, walk to school, finish the test, and be back in bed immediately.

Hey Boboo-
I just got back from apartment hunting in Des Moines this past weekend. I opted to go for a nicer place in West Des Moines- but it's right off the freeway, so I can't imagine that the commute will be bad at all :) The place is a bit expensive, but they have a discount for DMU students and the amenities seem well worth it. If you haven't already, try the DMU website for housing recommendations from students :)

P.S. Why does your profile say that you are a female, yet you are looking for a place for a single guy to live? I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I am using someone elses. Have not made my own yet.

Maybe boboo is really a man that dresses as woman at night!! LOL!!

Apartment #307 at 3000 Grand will be available July 1st... please rent it so that I can get out of my lease! A bit pricy (sp?) but it is very nice, quiet, and you can get up 10 minutes before class.

I live on the south-side of Des Moines near the airport. It is off of Fleur Drive, which is a main drag to Downtown; therefore, it is clear in bad weather. The apartments are cheaper than other places and it is less than 5 miles to campus. It is nice to get away from campus at the end of the day. Good luck.

JS-UNMC and GreenEyedMonster:
Do you mind to post how much you pay for the monthly rent?

AYLC--

I started at $460, but they increased it increased it by $25.

I believe 3000 Grand is over $700, but it is closer to campus.

Good luck.

I heading out there on Monday looking for an apt. I would like a studio for around $450 close (walking distance)to campus.

3333 Grand Ave may be a good place. I'm not sure if they have studio apartments, but they are more reasonable than 3000 Grand. There are some places in walking distance that are converted hotels (3605 Grand and another one).

Try to get one of the Apartment Blue Books for a quick guide. It is not all inclusive, though.

Boboo, I live in an apt complex called the 4 seasons. They have efficiancies that are a bit above $450 and come furnished. The apartments are pre fabbed and the manager is a bit of a jerk but I like it well enough. There is an outdoor pool and an indoor pool. It is about 4 blocks from school. I walked it on days I was lugging too much crap. The Imperial is right across the street. They are similar to my apt complex but they are only one and two bedrooms (4 seasons has efficiancy to 2 bdrm). The Imperial doesn't have the pools but is a secure entrance and closer. Stay away from the Grand Prix apts. Hope that helps a bit.

For some reason when I was a prospective at DMU the school seemed to push 3000 Grand apart's. The pro: close to school, fairly quiet, pool thats open about 2 months of the year (when they aren't working on it). Con: way to pricy for most student budgets, management is not too helpful and will try to do anything other than help out a tenant (in my experience), the pool and other facilites are run down and rarely used by tenants as a result. I would go to 3333 grand, or this other brick place across the street from 3000. I do think its nice to be near campus, especially in a snowstorm on a test a.m.

There are also a lot of places in West Des Moines that are fairly nice. Takes about 10 min. to drive to school. May get more space for the same money. (Normandy Terrace, Jordon Creek, etc.)
Also some places on the South side of town. I lived on Watrous first year. Not too bad, except some noisy neighbors. Of course had the same later in WDM. Might expect this in most apartments. The South side was cheaper, but less space. About the same drive time, easy enough at either to be able to go home for lunch.

If you are married, you might want to get in touch with some married students. I think you can get into some apartments with a lower rate. (e.g. Sun Prarie), don't bother looking there if you are single.

Are DMU students in session over the summer? If not, are most of you staying in town?

hi! i was wondering... w/o a car would 4 miles from campus be unreasonable? i realize this depends on the person, but... i just wanted to see what other DMUers thought...

FOR SALE: couch, Entertainment Center, LARGE bookshelf, dining room table and 4 upholstered chairs.

If interested - e-mail me at [email protected]

Apartment Hunting can be frustrating...but it really comes down to what type of person you are. Would you rather have the convenience of living near the school - or would you enjoy getting away from all the stress and living a little further away? My first year I lived south of school - but this year I am living withing walking distance. THere are pros and cons to both.

Jean - Most of the students are home for the summer. The second year DO students are just finishing up the year. We will be here until the end of July.
:p
PCS - I would think that a 4 mile walk to and from school everyday would be a little stressful. It really it up to you...but I know that you often feel like you don't have time to even work out for an hour....much less walk 2 hours everyday.