This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding undergrad grades. I am in the beginning of sophomore year now. Realistically speaking, if I made nothing but A's and B's throughout my 4yrs of college, how many B's could I make and still have a realistic chance of getting into MD (or even DO) school? Currently (after freshman year plus a summer) I have all A's except one B in calculus I.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ask what if's. Make sure it doesn't happen. If it does, then cross that bridge when you get there. I don't feel anyone is going to be able to answer your question with much certainty. Number of B's is a rather trivial thing. A few B's is not going to hurt you so long as you maintain a good GPA otherwise. Plenty of people have gotten B's. Don't stress it, but do better.

Reactions: 1 users
Get just over twice as many A's as B's basically.

Bud 50/50 As and Bs is a 3.5 which is on the low end but can cut it. Do well and you will be fine. Download "My Gpa" app and play with it or find an excel so you can plugin future courses. You are doing well my friend keep it up and don't stress to death.

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding undergrad grades. I am in the beginning of sophomore year now. Realistically speaking, if I made nothing but A's and B's throughout my 4yrs of college, how many B's could I make and still have a realistic chance of getting into MD (or even DO) school? Currently (after freshman year plus a summer) I have all A's except one B in calculus I.

Thanks.

The median cGPA for MD school acceptees is ~3.7.

You do the math.

It depends. You plan on having strong ECs? How good do you think your MCAT score will be? Do you have any amazing stories or life experiences?

Medical school process is volatile as it is, why waste time trying to decide how many Bs you can afford a semester? Just shoot for the highest grade you can in every single class you take and don't look back. Focus your energy on being well-rounded.

Reactions: 1 user
Just shoot for the highest grade you can
This. This was my approach and I ended up with a 3.96 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA. Always, always aim for the best possible outcome. Why aim for less? And whatever happens, happens. If it's a bad GPA in the end, then cross the bridge when you get to it.