HCOP at Meharry and MCV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the HCOP summer programs at meharry or at MCV. I've applied to these and am waiting to hear back from them. I'd like to hear of some positive/negative student experiences at these programs. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

a little confused...are you referring to the Health Care Opp Program where pre-freshman (to undergad) come a summer early and are tutored in the sciences in prep for undergrad?
I am familiar w/ this type of program.

BUT, I think you are talking about something that prepares you for M1. If so, there is a similar program at UNC (called MED), I have heard good things about them. I'm just not sure I would want to give up a whole summer.

Are you considering MCV?
What are your thoughts on Richmond?

I believe there are HCOP programs for undergrads as well
I know that stanford has a summer progam.

Members don't see this ad :)
ready, I don't think the program is for college freshman. You have to have taken all the college pre-reqs already b/c during the program students actually take a small version of med school classes. Also, the program is for minorities/disadvantaged students.

ready, to answer the other part of your question, yeah I'm considering MCV. I'm hoping the summer program would give me an edge in getting in. I don't know too much about richmond as I've never been there.

Sounds a lot like the MED program at UNC and the MMEP program at Duke. (http://www.med.unc.edu/oed/med/ ). I know several people who have done the MED program and a few who did MMEP.

The MED program really seemed to help. On UNC's secondary it actually asks if you participated in the program, also it is always good to let people at the school you want to go to get to know you better (as long as you do well).

I personally know two people who participated in the MED program and got into UNC. I think the experience would be good for any school. If a interviewer asks you how well you think you'll do in med school, you can tell them about this experience.

I am considering VCU for this fall. I think it has several strongpoints. Richmond seemed a little Old South to me though. We'll see what happens.

Bumpity bump. Anyone have any more insight on these programs? :(

Bump. Someone's gotta have atleast heard of these programs. :(

Birdie,

As I understand, Meharry has an invitation only post-bac type program. You must apply to the medical college and if they feel you have potential, but jut not quite ready for med school, then you will be invited for this one year (I am pretty sure about the timeframe) program. They also have a summer session for incoming M1 students. They suggested that the summer program was just to help give a light review & help folks get comfortable & situated prior to the start of real classes.

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to, or there may be other programs of which I am not aware.

Take care & hope this is helpful.

Irish Rose, I was referring to the HCOP (health careers opportunity program) summer program at Meharry. It is for minorities/disadvantaged college students. It doesn't have guaranteed admissions or anything, but I was curious to know how many students they take from the program.