This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMP or Post Bacc

• SMP

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Post Bacc

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

ilovemystethoscope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently graduated in Winter 2015 from UCLA with Biology BS degree, however, I have a low GPA of 3.146 cumulative and 2.817 science. (I have one C- in Biochemistry so I may have to retake the course at a community college as some master's programs do not accept C-). I have great extracurricular activities, including almost a 1000 hours of volunteering and a leadership position at the hospital, honors research at UCLA, club activism, etc. I also have an upward trend my last year, making onto the Dean's Honor's List for the spring quarter.

(My low GPA is explainable, I have told a few close people the reason why and a lot of them agree that it is a valid excuse (although I wish I had no excuse for this GPA). I was top 3% in the nation during high school.)

I am looking into academic enhancer programs, however after doing much research I am confused whether to apply to SMP or Post-bacc programs. I have not taken the MCAT yet, I first want to decide which route I need to take to strengthen my application before applying to medical school as some schools require to NOT take the MCAT prior applying to their programs.

I do not have much support in person to help figure out my path and am alone on my journey. I tried talking with UCLA counselors, but they just printed Google facts (no help). I need help solidifying my plan so that I can begin to execute and take the next steps that will ultimately help matriculation into medical school. Any suggestions on making a plan and the steps to that plan? Also, are there any programs that link the program to a medical school that I need to look into?

Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
from what I can tell, you need to bump your science gpa to a 3.0 first, then apply to SMPs. Mind you, some SMPs require at least one attempt at the MCAT (pretty sure Georgetown does, for instance), so just do your research on that first. Maybe take some classes part time at SMC while working in a medically related job for a year?

Reactions: 1 user
from what I can tell, you need to bump your science gpa to a 3.0 first, then apply to SMPs. Mind you, some SMPs require at least one attempt at the MCAT (pretty sure Georgetown does, for instance), so just do your research on that first. Maybe take some classes part time at SMC while working in a medically related job for a year?

Right. I have calculated about 6-8 science courses are needed to be retaken from my pre-requisites to boost my sGPA above a 3.0. Are you suggesting to take another year of CC courses, working (If that's the case I will work as a scribe), taking the MCAT, then applying to an SMP?

Or would you suggest applying to Post-Bacc programs, taking the MCAT, and applying to medical school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how many credits you have already, but odds are a formal post bacc program won't raise your GPA high enough. I think going the SMP route may be faster and comes with better advising/connections. Honestly though I'm certainly not an expert, and I don't want to lead you astray, I've just done a lot of research on this.

Another point to emphasize, never rush your MCAT. You shouldn't be trying to squeeze in a MCAT just to apply for SMPs. If need be, take two years scribing and taking some classes on the side. Take a whole semester or so to just scribe/study for MCAT, and take it when you are 110% ready.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure how many credits you have already, but odds are a formal post bacc program won't raise your GPA high enough. I think going the SMP route may be faster and comes with better advising/connections. Honestly though I'm certainly not an expert, and I don't want to lead you astray, I've just done a lot of research on this.

Another point to emphasize, never rush your MCAT. You shouldn't be trying to squeeze in a MCAT just to apply for SMPs. If need be, take two years scribing and taking some classes on the side. Take a whole semester or so to just scribe/study for MCAT, and take it when you are 110% ready.

I have done 233 units of credit already.

I came up with this plan, what do you think?

Apply to Post-bacc programs, right after start studying for the MCAT. Winter 2017, retake Biochem at a CC/study more for mcat. **Matriculate into Post-bacc or apply to SMPs** April 2017: take MCAT. July 2017: apply to SMP programs. Till matriculation: Work on med school application. Mid-matriculation: apply to med schools.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

I only have C's, no D's or F's. I really want to become a MD. I know I have to reinvent myself, thus, if I were to retake all my classes with C's (7 classes) at a DIY post bacc, I will end up with a 3.0 sGPA considering that getting an A will avg my final grades to a B on AMCAS. On the other hand, f I were to do a formal post bacc and get all A's, will they avg my grades again or is there a different process as to how AMCAS looks at a formal post bacc grades?

SMP is definitely another option I am considering, however, I do need an MCAT score to apply to SMP programs. If I were to apply to SMPs, I will take my MCAT April 2017 and send in my application by July 2017. Are SMP grades given an upper hand over that of post-bacc programs?