This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iccebreaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would appreciate some help and brutally honest advice. I am an FL resident, and applied to the following schools:

FIU
FAU
USF
FSU
UF
UM
UCF

University of South Carolina Greenville
Medical University of South Carolina
South Carolina School of Medicine

Morehouse School of Medicine

I submitted my application yesterday, and I guess something didnt save on my application, but it submitted all 9 of my letters of recommendation to all schools. Now I know that all the letters are strong, and that none of them are specific to one school, it's just that I broke the "maximum" for every school on their websites. I called AAMC and AMCAS and they said they could not do anything. Am I super worried for no reason? Or is this something that could seriously damage my chances?

Just for note:

504 mcat
3.85 GPA
3.78 sGPA

Very strong ECs and awards.

I AM applying D.O. As well, but was hoping to get at least 1 M.D. interview.

In terms of my rec letters I submitted to every school:

1) MD - Ophthalmologist - Shadowing
2) MD - Orthopedic Surgeon - Shadowing
3) DO - Orthopedic Surgeon - Shadowing
4) MD - Pathologist & Lab coordinator - Clinical Research
5) Head of volunteer service - Veterans' Hospital - Patient Transport volunteering
6) Botany Professor & Herbarium Curator - Herbarium - Volunteering
7) Biochemistry Professor
8) Head of Psychology Dept (my Prof.)
9) Honors College Professor & Head of Philosophy Department

Members don't see this ad.

I'm under the impression that if you exceed the maximum, schools won't just throw out your application, but rather just not look at all your letters.

I'm under the impression that if you exceed the maximum, schools won't just throw out your application, but rather just not look at all your letters.
That is still a problem because then you can't select your best LORs..the school randomly chooses for you.

OP, some secondaries ask to list your LOR writers, which may allow you to select your hest. Otherwisr, I don't know what else you can do

Maybe call the schools and ask if you can specify which LORs you want to be used if the secondary doesn't have a spot that asks about them? But most schools require 2 science professor LORs and then another, so you know at least 2 of the letters will be from your professor letters. If your letters are all strong, you have nothing to worry about

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get to the the interview stage, we have to read all of them! It would be negligent to do otherwise. That is why there are limits. Nobody wants to read 9 letters (especially 4 physician letters).

Hopefully, the rest of your application is strong enough that your failure to follow instructions will be overlooked in favor of your other good qualities.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who just made this exact mistake, how did things end up for you?