High MCAT, Low GPA - MD / DO what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charliebkr

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both my science and cumulative GPA are sitting around a 3.3, just graduated

In college I went through some family issues, so these numbers above are not as high as I would have liked them to be.

I decided to give my dream one last push and managed to score a 522 on my MCAT, a 99th percentile score according to my score report, with a breakdown that makes the result look even better:

chem/phys (132/132)
verbal (130/132)
bio (131/132)
psych (129/132)

I have solid extra curriculars, having conducted wet lab research for 2 years in college, was an EMT in high school, and I'll be doing clinical research for the next 18 months

Wondering if anyone had any advice or knew anyone with a similar profile and might be able to give me a clearer idea of how open ended my medical future would be. I am still deciding between DO and MD programs.

How feasible is medical school for me?!?
 
Historically about 60% of applicants with a 3.3/39 who applied to MD schools were able to find an acceptance. Now, this number will probably be skewed by some who did a post-bacc or even an SMP but regardless you do have a chance. You certainly are competitive for DO programs.

The key question is what was your recent grade trend in UG for the last 3-4 semesters? An upward trend would help your case considerably.
 
I have sorta similar stats to yours, though a slightly higher cGPA. Check my mdapps and you can see how I'm doing. I agree with the above - apply very broadly! I personally did not think about going for DO when I started applying (and I have one MD acceptance, so I guess it worked out *phew*), but definitely be open to that.