High MCAT, Low GPA - MD / DO what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charliebkr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both my science and cumulative GPA are sitting around a 3.3, just graduated

In college I went through some family issues, so these numbers above are not as high as I would have liked them to be.

I decided to give my dream one last push and managed to score a 522 on my MCAT, a 99th percentile score according to my score report, with a breakdown that makes the result look even better:

chem/phys (132/132)
verbal (130/132)
bio (131/132)
psych (129/132)

I have solid extra curriculars, having conducted wet lab research for 2 years in college, was an EMT in high school, and I'll be doing clinical research for the next 18 months

Wondering if anyone had any advice or knew anyone with a similar profile and might be able to give me a clearer idea of how open ended my medical future would be. I am still deciding between DO and MD programs.

How feasible is medical school for me?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Historically about 60% of applicants with a 3.3/39 who applied to MD schools were able to find an acceptance. Now, this number will probably be skewed by some who did a post-bacc or even an SMP but regardless you do have a chance. You certainly are competitive for DO programs.

The key question is what was your recent grade trend in UG for the last 3-4 semesters? An upward trend would help your case considerably.

I have sorta similar stats to yours, though a slightly higher cGPA. Check my mdapps and you can see how I'm doing. I agree with the above - apply very broadly! I personally did not think about going for DO when I started applying (and I have one MD acceptance, so I guess it worked out *phew*), but definitely be open to that.