His Dark Materials WW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So. Food for thought. I don't like outing myself super early, but I am an item maker. And I tried to make an althieometer last night. Got this as a response.

You attempt to create an alethiometer but...you just can't seem to do it. Huh. And there's no item in existence with this function as far as you know.

So... read into that as you will. But LIS is saying he had one. Which confused the heck out of me given what my PM said.
I thought the same as Lupin. I bet the alethiometer you tried to create had a different function than the one already in play. Did LIS's description of the alethiometer sound anything like yours?

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't make any sense to me that there would be more than one alethiometer

Members don't see this ad :)
So. Food for thought. I don't like outing myself super early, but I am an item maker. And I tried to make an althieometer last night. Got this as a response.

You attempt to create an alethiometer but...you just can't seem to do it. Huh. And there's no item in existence with this function as far as you know.

So... read into that as you will. But LIS is saying he had one. Which confused the heck out of me given what my PM said.

Is the alethiometer a secret item in the Dark Materials world? Maybe you can't make legendary or unique items, or your character doesn't know what an alethiometer is.

From what I Wikipedia's quickly, LIS's description seems consistent with a game interpretation of how the alethiometer works.

http://hdm.wikia.com/wiki/Alethiometer

Lynch EVL

For no other reason than it sounds like evil (and I have no idea who that is).

Seems pretty clear to me. You tried to create one with a different function than the one already in the game.

Why would I say I had one on N1 if I didn't? That would be stupid. Unless it lands in the hands of wolves on N2, somebody should within a game day or two be able to verify everything I said. *shrug*

Oops. I made a mistake ... earlier I said I was told to pick a # between 1-13 ... I just rechecked my PM, it was 1-10. Soz. But I did pick 3, like I said, so I would recommend picking something different to see what we can learn.

I did not get any description of the alethiometer. Just "You have received the alethiometer. Pick a number between 1 and 10."

I would imagine that if you chose a different item rather than an alethiometer but with the same original function, it might work. You probably can't create an item that is already in play, even if your proposed use is not the same.

Yea. Tried to make an item which could seer alignment.

So from what I gather from reading and rereading this, I initially thought it was that the alethiometer doesn't exist. But it seems that the power in requested it to do doesn't exist. And I requested a alignment seering item, preferably an altheiometer

Members don't see this ad :)
So from the books, from what I recall, there were multiple alethiometers in existence, but they were very rare. Also extremely difficult to read, taking decades of study and still being difficult to interpret. This may mean that only certain characters can really get any useful information out of them, or that they will just be cryptic in general.

It was also difficult in the books to determine who were the true "bad guys". I mean at some points it seems really obvious, X character tries to kill a kid, he must be a bad guy. And then later same X character sacrifices themselves to save our hero/obvious protagonist.

All this to say, I don't know who to lynch :p But as the deadline is approaching ...

Lynch TP

(no reason or strategy behind this, and nothing personal TP)

So in AZ we don't do daylight savings, so I was used to a 9pm deadline being 6 here. For the past half hour I have been SO confused on why the lynch hadn't been closed before I realized East coast is only two hours ahead of us now instead of three.

Day 1 UNOfficial Lynch Tally

Finnick (3)- DocE, Allieh, Rogert
Hayley (1) - FS
STL (1) - Kam
PP (7) - Finnick, LIS, Dy, FFM, Hmoo, Rojo, Rog
Aloha (1) - EVL
Hmoo (3) - Jilary, Hayley, Aloha
LIS (1) - PP
LotF (1) - SOV
Jilary (1) - STL
PBC (1) - Stb
Diva (1) - DVMD
FS (1) - aloha
kcough (1) - PBC
MJ (1) - Diva
Kam (1) - Lupin
Rojo (1) - LotF
TP (1) - kcough
EVL (2) - MJ, Caiter

27/29 votes
Deadline: 9pm

Day 1 UNOfficial Lynch Tally

Hayley (1) - FS
STL (1) - Kam
PP (7) - Finnick, LIS, Dy, FFM, Hmoo, Rojo, Rog
Aloha (1) - EVL
LIS (1) - PP
LotF (1) - SOV
Jilary (1) - STL
PBC (1) - Stb
Diva (1) - DVMD
FS (1) - aloha
kcough (1) - PBC
MJ (1) - Diva
Kam (1) - Lupin
Rojo (1) - LotF
TP (1) - kcough
EVL (2) - MJ, Caiter

27/29 votes
Deadline: 9pm
I done goofed somewhere, the math doesn't add up

Day 1 Official Lynch Tally

Finnick (3) - DocE, Allie, Rogert
Hayley (1) - , FS
STL (1) - Kam
PP (6) - Dy, LIS, Hazel, Jojo, Flim Flam, Finn
Rogert (0) -
Aloha (1) - EVL
Hazel (3) - Jilary, Haley, Aloha
LIS (1) - PP
LotF (1) - SOV
Jilary (1) - STL
PBC (1) - Stb
Diva (1) - DVMD
FS (0) -
kcough (1) - PBC
MJ (1) - Diva
TP (1)- kcough
Rojo (1) - LotF
EVL (2)- MJ, Caiter
Kam (1)- Lupin

Official Day 1 Lynch Tally
Hayley (1) - FS
STL (1) - Kam
PP (6) - Finnick, LIS, Dy, FFM, Hmoo, Rojo
Aloha (1) - epi
LIS (1) - PP
LotF (1) - sobsob
Jilary (1) - STL
PBC (1) - Stb
Deva (1) - DVMD
kcough (1) - PBC
MJ (1) - Deva
Kam (1) - Lupin
Rojo (1) - LotF
TP (1) - kcough
epi (2) - MJ, Caiter

27/29 votes

Whispers traveled through the crowd. They were too afraid to separate into their homes after the death of Chevalier Tialys. If even he could not fend off their enemies, what chance did the rest of them have? He was one of the best fighters among them. The anxiety of the gathered individuals showed in the body language of their daemons - tails tucked, ears back, eyes wide and searching. They clung to their humans even more closely than usual. Finally the whispers reached a singular decision: @pinkpuppy9 was accused. No one stepped forward to say why they thought she was responsible for the death of the Gallivespian spy. But then, no one stepped forward to say she was innocent either. She was hung without complaint.

You have lynched pinkpuppy9, Father Gomez, an agent of the Magisterium and a wolf.

28 players remain. It is now Night 1. Night closes at 8am EST.

Jordan College

1. Trilt - Chevalier Tialys
2. LIS
3. dyachei
4. DVMD
5. Em Jay
6. kcough

London Canals

7. aloha
8. DocE
9. Kam
10. Jilary
11. finnick
12. PBC

Svalbard
13. FS
14. Hayley
15. LotF
16. SOV
17. Allie
18. Epivet

Bolvangar
19. FFM
20. Hazel
21. Lupin
22. pp9 - Father Gomez
23. Deva
24. Rojo

Citagazze
25. tp
26. STL
27. STB
28. Zen
29. caiter
30. Rog

Yeah! Wolf on the first! We can totally win this if we keep that up!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I couldn't participate more! Have a good game everyone!

Oh hot damn, that's awesome!

Father Gomez is one of a very few obvious bad guys who is never redeemed. He is out to kill our main character, but someone else kills him first. He is a member of the Magisterium's Court of Disipline and his daemon was a beetle.

Sorry, weird work hours on my side... on the plus side, I'll be done before the deadline even with my stupid long day.

Sounds like it might be beyond your character's realm of knowledge, given the "as far as you know" bit. I don't know the series though, so I can't say for sure, are three things widely known about or extremely rare?

Sounds like it might be beyond your character's realm of knowledge, given the "as far as you know" bit. I don't know the series though, so I can't say for sure, are three things widely known about or extremely rare?

Its entirely possible that I just couldnt create a second one. itr is less possible but still possible that i cant create anything that seers. The wording is odd though, but i think i have to agree its one of the two.