How many vets work at your clinic?

Started by Kylana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kylana

WCVM 2015
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of pure curiousity: how many vets work at the clinic you volunteer/shadow/work at?

There are 6 vets at the clinic I volunteer at.
I found the small clinics (1-3 vets) difficult to get a volunteer job at because they kept telling me there was not enough room!
 
We have 3 full time vets and our fourth (he was part time) recently left to buy his own practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On any given day, 2 will be working. Sometimes 3.

But we have a total of 5 vets.

And while I'm thinking of it, we have 6 techs (one of the techs is also the practice manager), 4 assistants, 4 kennel people, and 4 front desk people. All working different schedules...
 
At ours we have three that exclusively work at our practice and three that rotate with ours and the "sister practice" down the road.
 
There are six at the clinic that I used to volunteer at.

The one, two and three doctor clinics tend to treat me like crap. They don't return my phone calls, are "unsure" if they can accomidate me, talk about me behind my back... funny how the large clinic gets right back to me when I get in touch with them.
 
The clinic I worked at only has one doctor and A LOT of staff (too many if you ask me!). I actually didn't expect getting a job there because the manager at the time told me that they weren't hiring (that just goes to show you, always double check with someone else where ever you apply for a job!). I already applied to a little over a handful of places, but decided to apply to this clinic anyway. Oddly enough, it was the only clinic to call me back, even though the other places WERE hiring! The application was pretty strict - I had to answer a bunch of questions in cursive only! The funny thing about this situation was that Dr. M hired me within a few days and no formal interview (we basically just talked about what my duties would be). He is one of THE nicest veterinarians I know - really laid back, super friendly, very knowledgeable about the profession, and very compassionate. He even hired me as a vet assistant/tech, not a kennel person. I was very, very fortunate to find a vet like him to work for (not to mention, he wrote me an awesome recommendation letter!).

P.S. - I asked him about the whole "writing in cursive" part of the app once I was working there for a while, and he said he didn't really know why that was still on there! :laugh: I'm guessing it was on there to see if the people he considers for hire will follow directions.
 
There are about 20 at the hospital where I work, and I'm pretty sure we don't have any volunteers. There's barely enough room for everyone as it is - they are building a new hospital to accommodate the growth in business (no, it is not a chain - privately owned).
 
The SA practice I worked at was one VMD, and most of the time it was just me with him, sometimes one other person.

The LA hospital I worked at had 45+ VMD/DVMs and easily over 100 techs during the foaling season.
 
The practice where I work has two doctors (A man and his step-daughter). They also have two clinics, about 25 miles apart that they both have to go between them. We only have one licensed tech and 4 assistants. We are all pretty close and I am going to be really sad when I leave for school!!!
 
The SA private practice I worked at had 2 doctors when I joined, and another was hired shortly after I left for school. The emergency clinic I worked for had 6 doctors on rotation.

Oddly enough, every practice I've talked to is more than willing to have me come in and watch interesting surgeries, volunteer time, etc. To be honest, I've never received a no ... I'm wondering a bit if that's the ithaca/madison mentality, or if I'm just really lucky??
 
Depending on the shift, there may be three vets and 2 CVT's working. Then, during the busy times, there are at least 12 names on the queue, and the majority of them are vets.
But, then again, I work at a 24/7 kind of a place. 😀
 
When I started we had two full time Dr's, then about six months ago one left to be closer to her family🙁, since then it has been a one Dr practice because the owner has not been able to find another Dr. I think we have about 10 staff members now, in a large clinic so at least we are not in each others way all the time.
 
We basically have 3.5 vets, 6 techs and 6 receptionists. Most days of the week have 3 vets on with 4 techs. Saturdays are 1 vet and 3 techs.
 
At the first clinic I worked at there were 3 vets. At the clinic I shadowed at there were 2 then they hired a third. At the most recent clinic I worked at, there was only 1 vet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the clinic I work at there is one doc, one certified tech, one assistant, me ("tech assistant"/reception on any given day), and two animal caretakers.

We have yet to find a receptionist who will work out, and this place is tough to learn in. It's almost like the doc is kind of like do this... because I need you to.

Like today, the doc pulls me from medicating the bird to "learn" to process and XRAY. I stand there like... uhm alright. She explains and I try to figure it out in the dark... in a small room. Then I hear "oh and don't open the drawer or you'll damage the five hundred dollars worth of film. Okay, great!

Very upside down new clinic that is getting bigger and busier. 🙂 It's a good (very tiring) time! :laugh:
 
SA practice currently with 3 vets, 1 CVT, 1 assistant, 1 kennel person, 4 receptionists. We're looking to hire for a few positions right now.
 
SA with 4 vets, 1 receptionist, and 10ish assistants/techs with varying schedules. M-F there are 2-3 vets working, only 1 on Saturdays.
 
I currently work at a 22 DVM SA clinic with about 80 employees altogether (caretakers, techs, front office, etc.). Before that, I worked at a 1 DVM SA clinic that staffed 1 tech and 1 receptionist per shift (and a kennel person in the afternoons)...seemed like we were always short staffed, though, and I (tech) would often be the only person there besides the Dr. The first SA clinic I worked at was another 1 DVM practice that staffed 2 techs, 2-3 receptionists and 1 kennel assistant per shift.

Definitely pros and cons to both the small and large practices, but for now the large specialty/emergency practice wins out for variety and learning opportunities!
 
there are 2 working at the lab i am at..one is the clinical vet and the other's the director.
 
3 full-time vets, 1 part-time vet, 3 vet techs, 3 receptionists and myself as a volunteer shadow/assistant/receptionist. Mostly SA but we do LA and off-hour emergency response for established clients.