Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZAZA67401

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an update from Howard by email, saying that my application was complete and I could get an interview at anytime between now and June and if I do not hear from them then they will write again in February.

Members don't see this ad.

i got the email too. i'm sure you didnt mean to say february. anyway, i heard somebody recently got a mistaken acceptance, so if you do get one, you might want to double check. the email also says, if you dont get an interview, you'll just never hear from them again. they dont even have the decency to send a rejection letter.

I was one of those folks who got an acceptance letter but hadn't interviewed yet. I called them up to see if it was for real and they told me it was meant for the other person with the same name. my self esteem shot right up after that.....

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: why am i not surprised?

I received the same letters as both zaza and sylva. Oh well...Although an interview would be nice, at this point, I'm not bothered by any of this. Wherever the door is meant to be opened, it will be opened :D

ZAZA67401 said:
I got an update from Howard by email, saying that my application was complete and I could get an interview at anytime between now and June and if I do not hear from them then they will write again in February.

Again, I know this is frustrating for some folks but I think it's just Howard's way of interviewing/accepting people who REALLY want to attend their school. Think about it, how would you feel if a significant number of your applicants were ONLY applying to your school as a back-up??

Someone out there has NO acceptances/interviews and really wants to attend Howard so they're are going to be thrilled to get this letter. If you're one of these people or are just really interested in Howard, this is the time to send in that LOI. :thumbup:

Dear Applicant:

I am writing to inform you that we have received and reviewed your AMCAS
application and your secondary application. Secondary applications are being
reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Interviews are currently
being conducted, and we expect to continue interviewing through the end of May,
but no later than mid-June. If we are able to invite you to the College of
Medicine for an interview with one of our Admissions Committee members, we will
inform you of available dates in writing. Please do not contact the Office of
Admissions to request an interview.

Applicants who have completed the application process, and who have not received
an invitation to interview by May 31 should receive written notification of a
final decision on or before the first day of classes, August 22
. Please
forward all correspondence directly to the Office of Admissions, to insure that
it becomes part of your application file.
We will consider applications with MCAT scores from 2003 through 2005 ONLY, that
is, scores not more than three years old at the end of the current application
year, 2005. Letters of recommendation must be dated during the application year
2004-2005, unless you are a reapplicant and have requested that we consider your
letters of recommendation from the prior year's application, 2003-2004. You will
receive no further correspondence regarding letters of recommendation or MCAT
scores, so please review your materials to be sure they are sufficiently
current.

Due to the large volume of applications, if we are not able to invite you to the
College of Medicine for an interview, you will receive no further correspondence
from our office regarding an interim status.

We appreciate your patience, and thank you for your interest in the College of
Medicine.

LoveDoc said:
Dear Applicant:

Applicants who have completed the application process, and who have not received
. Please
We will consider applications with MCAT scores from 2003 through 2005 ONLY, that
2004-2005, unless you are a reapplicant and have requested that we consider your
letters of recommendation from the prior year's application, 2003-2004. You will
current.

Due to the large volume of applications, if we are not able to invite you to the
College of Medicine for an interview, you will receive no further correspondence

Medicine.

yup, this is exactly what I received. i really dont' know what to think of such a letter...i think that, instead of venting and stating how disappointed i am with howard's treatment of its applicants, i'm going to keep mum, and just wish the best of luck to those of you who are receiving interviews/acceptances :D

Dag thats cold (they way they treat thier applicants). Has anyone had a good experience with Howard? I really want to go there, but thier admissions seems to be VERY disorganized.

Has anyone heard of being sent an acceptance letter in error? THAT'S COLD!

1Path said:
Again, I know this is frustrating for some folks but I think it's just Howard's way of interviewing/accepting people who REALLY want to attend their school. Think about it, how would you feel if a significant number of your applicants were ONLY applying to your school as a back-up??

Someone out there has NO acceptances/interviews and really wants to attend Howard so they're are going to be thrilled to get this letter. If you're one of these people or are just really interested in Howard, this is the time to send in that LOI. :thumbup:

The sad part is that I originally applied to Howard because I was interested in attending (how can you not be excited about DC?!). However, after they couldn't successfully send me their secondary (it took 3 tries and more than 5 phone calls which were answered by straight-out MEAN staff who acted as though I was disturbing them), I just about had it. I withdrew from Howard in mid October because I was worried not so much about how disorganized they were (although this was alarming), but I was scared by their mean and disdainful attitude. I don't think I'm the only one in this boat (i.e., liked Howard but was driven away from them).

Of course, I got an email in early March...they were inviting me to interview (mind you: I did not fill out the secondary or send them money). I reminded them that I had withdrawn, but I have a feeling that this is not the last I'll hear from Howard. I bet I'll get waitlisted, rejected, or even accepted by them.

I think I have been one of the few people who haven't had a bad experience with Howard yet. I sent my AMCAS in the Summer and was granted an interview in Sept. I loved my experience at Howard. After leaving, I really wanted to attend. All I've ever heard about Howard was negative things, but my experience was very positive. Unfortunately, I've been waitlisted and will probably have to wait months more. Administratively, Howard sucks. You just have to be on top of them and make sure all your stuff is taken care of. If you really are interested in Howard, send an interest letter. If you have heard nothing from them, make it a point to check on your application, even try to email Dean Cannon.

Members don't see this ad :)
^i'll keep that in mind. I'm going to apply next year, but the way they handle things worries me. Why can't they just get it together?

LoveDoc said:
Dear Applicant:

. Please
current.

Medicine.

Dear Dr. Dean of admissions:

I recently received your letter in regards to my status and I am quite pleased that the committes is still considering my application for the class entering in 2005. Since the orginal submission of my application I have been placed on the Dean's list, elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and volunteered for 2 weeks as a medical aide in Thailand to assist Tsumaini victums. Futhermore, I remain a committed to both the mission and goals of the Howard school of medicine and would be pleased to become a member of the class entering this Fall.

Sincerely,
Ms. I really want to attend Howard SOM :D :thumbup:

I just interviewed at Howard this month...so hold on...the interviews are still comming!

longway2go said:
I just interviewed at Howard this month...so hold on...the interviews are still comming!

Congrats, longway :clap: :clap: How did the interview go?

docjolly said:
Congrats, longway :clap: :clap: How did the interview go?

THANKS!!!!! It went REALLY WELL. I heard many negative things about the school before I interviewed, but I left with many positive feelings after my interview day. I would love to go if accepted. Still waiting to get an interview at Meharry, don't know if that will happen though.

Queenshawtii said:
Dag thats cold (they way they treat thier applicants). Has anyone had a good experience with Howard? I really want to go there, but thier admissions seems to be VERY disorganized.
I had a good experience with Howard overall (not including the crazy interview time style) but I think the key with Howard is being complete really early in the game. I interviewed in sept and was accepted by Nov 1. However, my friend interviewed in November and didn't hear back from them. She finally called in Jan only to be told that they wanted her transcript. She sent that and she hasn't heard anything (rejection, acceptance, anything) since.

j48seconds said:
I had a good experience with Howard overall (not including the crazy interview time style) but I think the key with Howard is being complete really early in the game. I interviewed in sept and was accepted by Nov 1. However, my friend interviewed in November and didn't hear back from them. She finally called in Jan only to be told that they wanted her transcript. She sent that and she hasn't heard anything (rejection, acceptance, anything) since.

Hey there j48, congrats on your acceptance!!! That's wonderful news. Will you definitely be attending Howard?

I'll be attending Howard this fall. Who else here made a final decision to go to Howard too?

1Path said:
Dear Dr. Dean of admissions:

I recently received your letter in regards to my status and I am quite pleased that the committes is still considering my application for the class entering in 2005. Since the orginal submission of my application I have been placed on the Dean's list, elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and volunteered for 2 weeks as a medical aide in Thailand to assist Tsumaini victums. Futhermore, I remain a committed to both the mission and goals of the Howard school of medicine and would be pleased to become a member of the class entering this Fall.

Sincerely,
Ms. I really want to attend Howard SOM :D :thumbup:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got the "application complete" letter last week but then I got another one saying that I still need to turn in my secondary. I know that I sent one in months ago but I'm having the sneaking suspicion that they've lost it (and nobody's answering the phone in the office.) Just like they lost my update letter in December. And again in February.
{sigh} Does anyone have a copy of the secondary form? I might as well just fill it out again, just in case. :(
I really would like to go to Howard but it seems like I'm not getting any love from them at all.

Hey everyone,
I too recieved the infamous email. Kinda scary that I am still waiting!!! :scared:
My friend, who is a first year student from Howard told me that if I was certain I wanted to attend Howard this fall, then I should fly out to the school and try to speak with the Dean of the school even though I haven't recieve an interview yet.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
What do you guys think? Because I would love to go to Howard and from what my friend tells me the student and the faculty there are very friendly and helpful.

You may want to ask to speak to Ms. Annie Finney when you call the school (sorry, i dont have the number w/ me) or email her at [email protected]. She was the one I contacted regarding my interview. Okay, best of luck to you!!

deecee said:
And again in February.
{sigh} Does anyone have a copy of the secondary form? I might as well just fill it out again, just in case. :(
I really would like to go to Howard but it seems like I'm not getting any love from them at all.

Important lesson not just for Howard but life in general is to make/keep copies of everything you send in. It save a TON of heartache later should your materials be 'lost". :thumbup:

ZAZA67401 said:

I heard that Howard's Med school is very unorganized! Is that really true?

riceman04 said:

I personally think so. I turned in all my paperwork but I have no idea if everything has been received. I get no notification or no confirmation when I call them or email them. Also, I have to call the school several times before I get anything answered .. and still, not everything has been answered. And .. at the office of student affairs .. no one ever picks up the phone or return a voice message. So fustrating ..

:mad: I know... I tried calling the school several times and the lady that answers the phone is very rude and doesnt even want to help you figure out whats missing or where your application is.
I called yesterday to ask her the status and she was like" Did you recieve the email??"
I said "Yes"
That lady then proceeded to tell me "well, there is your answer."
And she hung up!!!
Eh... i dont know what to do now because I sent in my Letter of Interest/Intent and I have no way of confirming that they recieved it and if its been added to my file or anything.
Any suggestions? I am thinking of flying out there to personally speak with the Dean and pleading my case... wise idea?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

How very rude of that lady! Well, I suggest you ask to speak to Ms. Annie Finney and see if she can help you before you decide to fly out to DC. I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the dean so if you plan on going, somehow make sure that the dean will be available for you to talk to. Best of luck to you!

Just curious as to whether or not anyone has considered sending info to them by certified mail? This way you KNOW they received it. :thumbup:

Well I emailed my letter and was debating on sending a copy of it overnight certified or something. But I mean with the response I got from the office, i am scared to even call back! I have been scared for life! well, i will email finney with a request and see what I can do. I guess if not this year then the next! Aint nothing stopping me! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DrSpongebob said:
Well I emailed my letter and was debating on sending a copy of it overnight certified or something. But I mean with the response I got from the office, i am scared to even call back! I have been scared for life! well, i will email finney with a request and see what I can do. I guess if not this year then the next! Aint nothing stopping me! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's the attitude!! :D

newmem said:
I personally think so. I turned in all my paperwork but I have no idea if everything has been received. I get no notification or no confirmation when I call them or email them. Also, I have to call the school several times before I get anything answered .. and still, not everything has been answered. And .. at the office of student affairs .. no one ever picks up the phone or return a voice message. So fustrating ..

Word of advice. The admin disorganization and disinterest seems to extend well beyond admissions. Good luck guys.

ottwar said:
Word of advice. The admin disorganization and disinterest seems to extend well beyond admissions. Good luck guys.

With the cadaver scandal at UCLA, the DUKE transplant mixup, the Harvard business school admissions screwup, and just read the Georgetown admissions threads, I wouldn't be so quick to make generalizations like that. Just a thought.

Howard is a great school with a beautiful library.

riceman04 said:
The med school staff and program are very good. It is the pathetically disorganized and incompetent gatekeepers that distort the view of Howard.

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard from Howard lately...I'm almost ready to throw in my towel!!!

Autumn said:
Just wanted to know if anyone has heard from Howard lately...I'm almost ready to throw in my towel!!!

No, still waiting. I have a friend that is a first year there and he told me that they really are still interviewing. So I guess all we can do is just hold on and keep pressing on

Take Care

Yup, a friend of mine who is also first year mentioned that they will be interviewing for about two more weeks. Meaning this week and next. So lets see what happeneds. But I havent heard anything from them lately either.
Totally Sucks!

Autumn said:

Yeah I got into some PARP program (6 week premetriculation pre) not sure what that means? Do not give up hope trust me I am sure you should hear soon. Anyone else in my condition/state of confusion

According to the email I received, Howard interviews until the end of May but no later than early June. I called the admissions office to confirm that and said it was true.

nne97080 said:
Yeah I got into some PRAP program (6 week premetriculation pre) not sure what that means? Do not give up hope trust me I am sure you should hear soon. Anyone else in my condition/state of confusion

Did you get this after being interviewed? I think if you do well in this program you're guaranteed admission in the first year class.

Pembleton said:
Did you get this after being interviewed? I think if you do well in this program you're guaranteed admission in the first year class.

Yeah I did get it after the interview and I just finally found it on the hu website and it says the same thing so i am really happy.

nne97080 said:
Yeah I did get it after the interview and I just finally found it on the hu website and it says the same thing so i am really happy.

Hi nne97080,

Can you tell me when this program starts??

Pembleton said:
Hi nne97080,

Can you tell me when this program starts??

are you gonna be in the program? I think check in is June 5th but the course starts on the 6th. I think, but the information is on the back of the acceptance letter glad since i have not taken science courses in like a gizzilion years and a friend who has friends who did the program said its like impossible to not do well in the program.

nne97080 said:
Yeah I got into some PARP program (6 week premetriculation pre) not sure what that means? Do not give up hope trust me I am sure you should hear soon. Anyone else in my condition/state of confusion

Hi there,
PARP is the pre-matriculation summer program that some Howard medical and dental students participate in. You will be given housing, meals, books and LOADS of instruction. I was one of the Biochemistry tutors the summer between my first and second year. You will attend lectures and labs in Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry and Immunology. You will work hard and you will study hard but come fall, you will have a HUGE advantage over the students who have not participated in PARP.

Basically, you have to show up, study and take advantage of this program. If you pass all three mini-courses, you are admitted to the freshman class. I have not ever heard of anyone failing who put in an honest effort. It is really not that difficult and you get loads of tutoring and help from the PARP tutors who are with you throughout the program. Enjoy this opportunity to get a huge jump on medical school.

nbjmd :)

nne97080 said:
are you gonna be in the program? I think check in is June 5th but the course starts on the 6th. I think, but the information is on the back of the acceptance letter glad since i have not taken science courses in like a gizzilion years and a friend who has friends who did the program said its like impossible to not do well in the program.

Thanks. No, I'm not in. I'm interviewing soon and I was just wondering if late-interview people would still get a chance to sign in to this program.

ZAZA67401 said:

Damn thats mess up!!! Howard is ghetto!!!

Braveheart said:
Damn thats mess up!!! Howard is ghetto!!!

OK its so ghetto and you are pressed to go there.