This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Beastkiller!
I'm an Indian citizen. It's not going to be easy to have a career in the US if I go J1.

Are you interested in fellowship? If so, getting a fellowship on a J visa is easier than if you are on an H visa because there are much more options (fewer fellowships sponsor H1b). Also, if you’re married, your spouse can work if you’re on a J visa, much, MUCH harder if you’re on an H visa. These are some pros and cons you should also consider. Having said that, i know many people who ranked programs that granted the H visa first and then the rest (not necessarily by strength of program). It all depends on YOUR priorities. Some people would rather go through all the immigraion loops than sacrificing “quality of training”. Having been here for a while and learning how painful the whole immigration system works, I would also rank programs that grant an H visa first. You could work as a hospitalist for a couple of years after residency (while saving a few bucks), and then apply for a green card and then go for fellowship in case you don’t match at an H-granting fellowship. Ah well, many things to consider it’s not as straightforward as “quality first”.

Also, congrats on your stellar scores!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Indian government do not waive J1? I don’t understand. I had J1 before, though not from India.

I beg to differ. You can easily do a j1 waiver even if you have indian citizenship. Do not get obsessed with H1. You should not compromise on quality of education.

You can certainly do the waiver. The issue I was referring to was the long and ever increasing EB-2 wait times for a GC which will affect what my career looks like 15 years from now.
But I agree with quality of education being of utmost importance. I'm weighing my rank list options and may in fact end up ranking good J1 programs at the top in the end. We'll see

I applied to close to 200, got around 20-25, scheduled 18.
Some of my good invites are from ULouisville, UConn, SUNY upstate, SUNY downstate, AGH, Houston Methodist, Cook county, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Case - MetroHealth, Yale/Bridgeport and UOklahoma.
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Reactions: 4 users
Immigration Departments at very large hospitals can more or less pull anything off. They can get waivers and o-visas

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Immigration Departments at very large hospitals can more or less pull anything off. They can get waivers and o-visas
Lol, have heard people say this.
Looking into fellowship match stats and waiver job market in the interested specialty to see what exactly I can expect in the coming decade.
Hopefully if I match, I can get ready for the next chapter in the never ending hustle.
Still may end up ranking progress that are slightly better at least a tad bit lower for visa reasons though

You can certainly do the waiver. The issue I was referring to was the long and ever increasing EB-2 wait times for a GC which will affect what my career looks like 15 years from now.
But I agree with quality of education being of utmost importance. I'm weighing my rank list options and may in fact end up ranking good J1 programs at the top in the end. We'll see

I applied to close to 200, got around 20-25, scheduled 18.
Some of my good invites are from ULouisville, UConn, SUNY upstate, SUNY downstate, AGH, Houston Methodist, Cook county, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Case - MetroHealth, Yale/Bridgeport and UOklahoma.
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

It's a trade-off. Reputation of your program matters when it comes to fellowship match, but visa can greatly limit your future career opportunity. It also depends on the specialty you want to go. I'd personally rank ULouisville, UConn over all the other programs despite the J1 visa if these are the best you got. If you want to do card, taking your H at Cook county or SLR Mount Sinai may not be a bad idea anyway

Lol, have heard people say this.
Looking into fellowship match stats and waiver job market in the interested specialty to see what exactly I can expect in the coming decade.
Hopefully if I match, I can get ready for the next chapter in the never ending hustle.
Still may end up ranking progress that are slightly better at least a tad bit lower for visa reasons though
Waivers do not go like that. In order to waive, you have to have either employment (who are willing to grant H1B) or marriage. Then things get handed to Indian/other foreign country’s embassy to decide whether they like to waive your duty of going back to your country. Then it get bounce back to USCIS to certify you are waive from 2 year rule.

I know it because I have gone through the whole thing.

Reactions: 1 users
1. There are two kinds of waiver. First is that your government waive your responsibility to serve your own country. Second is that you agree to serve the underserved areas in the US. In either case, you need to have the waiver before starting H or GC process. When talking about waivers for physicians, most people refer to the second type. When talking about waivers for researchers, most people refer to the first type. Don't get confused.
2. The waiver requirement will still be there even if you marry US citizen.
3. H visa is good for only 6 years. If you want to do GI or Cards, that will be very difficult unless the program wants to support you another H visa.
4. Indeed immigration is not an issue in big university hospitals. They are willing to use F1-OPT, H, O or whatever if they really want you. After all, it only cost them several thousand dollars.
5. Try to apply GC for yourself. If you're not an Indian or Chinese citizen, you only need 100 citations (google EB2-NIW). If you're citizens of the two countries, aim for 300-500 citations (search for EB1).
6. Jacobi, UConn, and Yale/Bridgeport support H visa last year.

Hi guys. I have an invitation from mercy medical center and hospital program in Chicago and they sent me an email for confirmation. But the interview isn't it my ERAS invites anymore! What should I do.

Hi guys. I have an invitation from mercy medical center and hospital program in Chicago and they sent me an email for confirmation. But the interview isn't it my ERAS invites anymore! What should I do.

Email or call the PC...

Waivers do not go like that. In order to waive, you have to have either employment (who are willing to grant H1B) or marriage. Then things get handed to Indian/other foreign country’s embassy to decide whether they like to waive your duty of going back to your country. Then it get bounce back to USCIS to certify you are waive from 2 year rule.

I know it because I have gone through the whole thing.

1. There are two kinds of waiver. First is that your government waive your responsibility to serve your own country. Second is that you agree to serve the underserved areas in the US. In either case, you need to have the waiver before starting H or GC process. When talking about waivers for physicians, most people refer to the second type. When talking about waivers for researchers, most people refer to the first type. Don't get confused.
3. H visa is good for only 6 years. If you want to do GI or Cards, that will be very difficult unless the program wants to support you another H visa.
4. Indeed immigration is not an issue in big university hospitals. They are willing to use F1-OPT, H, O or whatever if they really want you. After all, it only cost them several thousand dollars.
5. Try to apply GC for yourself. If you're not an Indian or Chinese citizen, you only need 100 citations (google EB2-NIW). If you're citizens of the two countries, aim for 300-500 citations (search for EB1).

Yes, I am aware of what the waiver is. I am mainly concerned about what happens after working for 3 years in an underserved area.
Aware of both the EB-1 and EB-2 NIW, looking into it.
UConn does not, and has not sponsored H1B for Internal medicine residency (according to their website at least).

+1 IV Seton Hall University-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine (St Francis) Program

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys I know nobody can answer this question but me. But I’d like to get some input anyways. I’ve been offered a prematch position with my partner (couples match) but i am a little hesitant since I haven’t heard the greatest things about prematch programs.
As an update I have 26 IV planning to attend to around 15. My partner on the other hand has 7 IV including this prematch.

Hey guys I know nobody can answer this question but me. But I’d like to get some input anyways. I’ve been offered a prematch position with my partner (couples match) but i am a little hesitant since I haven’t heard the greatest things about prematch programs.
As an update I have 26 IV planning to attend to around 15. My partner on the other hand has 7 IV including this prematch.
You’re at a solid spot for interviews. If you nor your partner feel 100% about the program, I suggest you go through the match and go somewhere YOU DO WANT. You both have a solid chance

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your plan. Baby, no baby? Newly wed or already have a solid foundation? What’s long term career plan? I think nobody can answer your question except for yourself and your partner.

UConn gave H visas? Are you sure?

Guys I have 13 IV's, all of which I will rank. I am unsure of the order as of yet what i will rank them. I was really hoping that by end of November I will hit 15 interviews, but it looks like 13 will be my number. My number one priority is to match, getting my top choice will be just a cherry on the top. As a USIMG is this a solid number to make sure I don't go unmatched? Or should I be more proactive in sending out LOI's? Also can we expect any more invites in December? Thank you.

Did you schedule your interview date? If yes, I think you should call the coordinator or at least email and find out about the status.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think your chances matching after receiving so many interviews is quite high. However the couples match does complicate things. What specialty is your partner going into? Forgoing the prematch May be advisable If both of you have interviews from multiple programs in the same city or if you have some type of verbal guarantee from the same program (probably more likely to happen in the Midwest)

Nobody can answer this (as you know) but all I can say is, by looking at your score, you definitely deserve something better (unless this prematch program is quite good, but the most prematch programs I know are not what you deserve).

If It was not a couples match, then I would say don't accept the prematch. But considering that couples match significantly complicates the situation, you might be better off accepting it.

Thank you all for your input! This is a great group :) I’ll keep you updated.

Guys, 2016 Grad, IMG. I applied with my Step 1 and CS done on September 15th but my CK was still pending at the time.

Step scores are 232 and 231 respectively, but gave CK super late, on 1st November and got my score back just last Wednesday.

I have 7 publications. Applied to 141 programs and have had 1 invitation so far. I'm freaking out a little as time's running out. Already done emailing all the programs updating them with my score, but I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Any idea whether I have chances of coming back from this?

Guys, 2016 Grad, IMG. I applied with my Step 1 and CS done on September 15th but my CK was still pending at the time.

Step scores are 232 and 231 respectively, but gave CK super late, on 1st November and got my score back just last Wednesday.

I have 7 publications. Applied to 141 programs and have had 1 invitation so far. I'm freaking out a little as time's running out. Already done emailing all the programs updating them with my score, but I'm at a loss of what to do next.

What about your visa status and US clinical experience??

Hey! Sorry you're having a difficult time to get interviews. After talking with many attendings in the US, one of the first things they recommend is that you should have all your requirements ready by September 15th. The fact that you received your CK score last week is most likely the cause of not getting called for interviews (unless you have other red flags). It seems you are a good applicant with average scores and publications. It's an uphill battle and while I would encourage you to follow any advice to increase your chances this year, do not get disheartened if you can't match this year. Yes, you only need one IV to match, but statistically speaking, your odds are against you. If you don't match this year, it is very likely that you can match next year with a complete application (and if possible do a couple clinical rotations to obtain clinical US LORs).

As to what options you have at this point, you could reach out to programs, but it seems you already did. If you know anyone at a program, ask them to vouch for you or have them tell the PDs to look at your application. I hope you do get a few more invites in the coming months!

If you dont mind me asking which program you got an IV from?

Got a rejection today. Haven’t received an interview since 1st week of Nov

Congrats to guys with tons of interviews.
Here i am with one. The season in pretty much over for me, I think

Make sure that one counts! Give it your best.
Also try to get observerships side by side and step 3 if you haven't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Very few people in this thread got "tons of" IVs ... it has always been an uphill battle for IMG

has anyone gotten invites or rejections from morehouse, howard, prince george's, university of missouri?

What does it mean if I applied to a program and lots of people either got an IV or mentioned here that they got regret letters for that specific program? Does this mean they might still call me ? I have already been to 2 IVs but I would feel much better having at least one more.

no, do not take a pre match...with that many IVs, you are a good candidate to match into a decent programs...prematch programs rarely are ...

Make sure that one counts! Give it your best.
Also try to get observerships side by side and step 3 if you haven't.
/QUOTE]

Already done with the IV. Hope I get matched on the back of a single interview.

Very few people in this thread got "tons of" IVs ... it has always been an uphill battle for IMG

That is true but... Just 1 iv is depressing and statistically not in my favor

hi You Guys
anybody has Info about Mt Sinai Chicago , IM? how strong is the program?

any input will be appreciated
Thanks a lot

Hey all, I need some advice on whether or not to attend some of the interviews I have. I have attended about 8 and I plan on not attending the other 3 that I have for 2 reasons. First- I absolutely do not want to end up there it is probably one of those " I would rather go unmatched than go there" type of programs. Second- I am literally below poverty line at this point having spent on applications and interviews. Any input will be greatly appreciated. And, I do not need a visa.

First- I absolutely do not want to end up there it is probably one of those " I would rather go unmatched than go there"

To play devils avocate, you might like the program more when you see it.

It’s a case of how much resources it takes, if you’re flying across the country then no. But if you’re at a loose end and it’s not too far then I would consider the expenditure in the context of what you’ve already sacrficed to put you in a position to get the interview.

For example you’ve spent x years, and y amount of dollars and sat hundreds of exams , lost a lot of sleep and had a whole pile of stress for an outcome of say 10 interviews. In that context you can appreciate just how valuable a single interview is.

I’m sure you’ll match with what you have already, but I personally would attend all interviews less that 12 total. Beyond 12 is a comfortable zone.

And remember if you go unmatched you’ll be reapplying to the exact same programs and those that invite you this year might have a different feeling re-inviting someone.

You’re on the dance floor right now, in a few weeks this will all be over and there’ll be no going back.

Hey all, I need some advice on whether or not to attend some of the interviews I have. I have attended about 8 and I plan on not attending the other 3 that I have for 2 reasons. First- I absolutely do not want to end up there it is probably one of those " I would rather go unmatched than go there" type of programs. Second- I am literally below poverty line at this point having spent on applications and interviews. Any input will be greatly appreciated. And, I do not need a visa.
This is a very personal decision, but I would try to go, to be honest....I would try to find the cheapest possible way to attend them, even if you take a bus and stay at a horrible place for a night, it's going to last only for one day.....but this is your decision again.

Thanks for your input. If I do go unmatched I will probably end up spending more than what it take to attend these interviews. I think it has more to do with not wanting to end up in those programs whatsoever. Arrgh, such a tough call! Why cant there be a biweekly NRMP match!! Thanks guys..

Does anyone have information on these two programs in terms of how reputable they are?
Norwalk/Yale and Bridgeport/Yale. I am trying to decide which of these interviews to attend.
I know about Bridgeport/Yale: good program with very good fellowship match, bad location

Hi everyone,
How I can find the list of IMG friendly IM programs by reputation?

You’d rather go unmatched? Do you have an alternate career plan? Do you know how difficult it is to match again after going through the match once and not matching?

I would think long and hard about this

Hi guys need some advice. If post LOI we haven't received a call from the program, is it safe to assume that we just won't?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You’d rather go unmatched? Do you have an alternate career plan? Do you know how difficult it is to match again after going through the match once and not matching?

I would think long and hard about this
Isn't 8 interviews a safe zone any in this guy's case?

What are your stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.