Iowa State c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is accepted do yall know how many seats are left?

@ everyone with mobile/trailer homes again —
I hear Iowa has lots of tornados, are you ever worried about those? Have they been a problem at all for you? How has your home held up through one?

Reactions: 1 user
Will be declining hope this help the next person! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I was contacted earlier today and have also accepted my spot! I'm so excited to meet all of my future classmates. Also, I was number 112.

Reactions: 7 users
They also don't tell you how many spots are left and they give you like 24 hrs to accept your spot!

The number changes - so if another school's waitlist accepts someone, it might open up another seat. They usually tell you when the class is full.

I'm just not very patient lol!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone:) I was number 118 and offered admission today!! So excited to meet everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
@ everyone with mobile/trailer homes again —
I hear Iowa has lots of tornados, are you ever worried about those? Have they been a problem at all for you? How has your home held up through one?
I’ve lived in the midwest my entire life and have never actually experienced an active tornado (though I did move to start undergrad in Joplin, MO a few months after the 2011 EF5). It might “seem” common from the outside, but it’s kind of an overblown fear. That said, you will probably have to deal with a good number of severe storms which may prompt a tornado watch or warning for the county, but even then, the chance of a tornado hitting not only any individual city but also your area of that city is pretty low. Even in the event that that does happen, the overwhelming majority of tornados cause minor damage (EF0-EF2).

I’ll let others who actually live(d) in the trailer homes address that specifically, but I see this cited as a common hangup for OOSers who aren’t from the area, so I wanted to assuage your fears a bit.

I’ve lived in the midwest my entire life and have never actually experienced an active tornado (though I did move to start undergrad in Joplin, MO a few months after the 2011 EF5). It might “seem” common from the outside, but it’s kind of an overblown fear. That said, you will probably have to deal with a good number of severe storms which may prompt a tornado watch or warning for the county, but even then, the chance of a tornado hitting not only any individual city but also your area of that city is pretty low. Even in the event that that does happen, the overwhelming majority of tornados cause minor damage (EF0-EF2).

I’ll let others who actually live(d) in the trailer homes address that specifically, but I see this cited as a common hangup for OOSers who aren’t from the area, so I wanted to assuage your fears a bit.

Thanks for the response! I’m from Missouri & am in the same boat. Have encountered maybe one real tornado (that miraculously seemed to hit everywhere except my campus), but many severe storms with tornado watches. Everyone I’ve talked to here says Iowa was even worse, so I got a bit concerned.

Edit: “here” meaning in MO, not the forum

For those with trailers or friends with them, how did you finance them? Did you pay upfront, get a mortgage, get a personal bank loan, use student loans? I have an idea of what to do but my dad keeps telling me to call and ask ISU admissions to ask what other students do but I don't think that's the best way to go? I'm new to all this lol

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten an update on the OOS waitlist, what number they are on?

Just got my acceptance and I declined. I was 119 so good luck to whoever is next! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I got offered a position and I accepted! I was #122! Good luck to the next person!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Are you guys going to get a copy of every book recommended or just 1-2 per class?

Are you guys going to get a copy of every book recommended or just 1-2 per class?

I bought all the books but I guess most of them are only really helpful if you’re interested in learning more details/enjoy reading. Most of the things we learn will be provided via PowerPoint or notes.
I highly recommend histology, physiology, and radiology textbooks though for first year. YMMV

edit to add: also it’s usually cheaper to purchase on amazon than the form the school asks you to fill out. Might as well save a couple bucks where we can

Last edited:
You really don't need most of the books. You can ask some current students if that's still the case, but the only thing I ever used was Miller's anatomy. And I still use it now that I'm in practice to review structures when I'm doing a mass removal in a weird place.

You can also buy books that upper classmen are selling. There’s an ISU CVM buy/sell/trade Facebook page

Does anyone know have an update on the waitlist :)

Yesterday morning I got a reply saying they were at 129!

What type of laptop did they pick for students for the past couple years? I’d love a 2-in-1 and wanna see if I should get one for my personal non-school laptop or if that’ll be the school laptop.

What type of laptop did they pick for students for the past couple years? I’d love a 2-in-1 and wanna see if I should get one for my personal non-school laptop or if that’ll be the school laptop.
We have a lenovo think pad that is a laptop and can be folded into a tablet

any updates on where they are at today?

Has anyone heard anything?

Hi everyone!

I will be attending my first year at Iowa State CVM this fall. I was wondering if anyone attending has taken electives, more specifically Dairy Informatics or Beef Records Analysis? Are these electives worth taking? These are the only 2 electives available besides vet practice management. I have tried to do my own research figuring out what these courses even teach but it seems awfully vague. Not sure if it helps but I do plan on tracking mixed animal, and do have large animal experience, but don't have a lot of experience on the production side of things and would like to learn. I just don't want to sign up for something that I may not be interested in or may not help me in the future. Basically, what do these classes teach? Would they be worth my time?

Hi everyone!

I will be attending my first year at Iowa State CVM this fall. I was wondering if anyone attending has taken electives, more specifically Dairy Informatics or Beef Records Analysis? Are these electives worth taking? These are the only 2 electives available besides vet practice management. I have tried to do my own research figuring out what these courses even teach but it seems awfully vague. Not sure if it helps but I do plan on tracking mixed animal, and do have large animal experience, but don't have a lot of experience on the production side of things and would like to learn. I just don't want to sign up for something that I may not be interested in or may not help me in the future. Basically, what do these classes teach? Would they be worth my time?

I have taken Beef Records. I think it was a good overview of the beef industry, what you would want your future clients to do, and how to help your clients out in the future. The second semester focused more on the cow calf side of the industry. I personally learned a lot and had large animal experience going into school. I know Beef Records and Dairy Informatics are required for some rotations during fourth year, so if you're thinking of doing those you'll want to take both sets of electives. I know for sure Beef Records is a 3 semester series, but only 2 are required for the rotations. I think Dairy is also multiple semesters. They are both easy to do in you're first year so you can leave time for other electives your second and third years.

If you have anymore questions, I'll happy to help out

Will we get notified when the class is full?

Okay thank you!
Last year someone was pulled a week before classes started, so it all just could depend on other people’s plans! Not a very definitive answer but it gives me some hope! :)

Just got offered a spot. I'm #146. Not sure what I'll do yet.

• Wow