Iowa State c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was a very hard decision, I loved both of the programs, I went with the less expensive school.
Congrats! And good luck next year!
If you don't mind, what number on the waitlist were you?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed today and asked for an update, I will keep you guys posted :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Next to be called is 107!

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200424-130026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-130026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 128
Itll probably be soon :) I attached the email where they said 107 :)
Omg, I'm so excited! Thank you for checking with them. I hope it is soon or I'll have a heart attack.

I got accepted!!! I was 105. I am accepting. Do I call them or reply in the portal?

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard any more updates from today on what number they're at?

Wow! I've never felt so close to getting into vet school. I'm number 112 and my heart is literally pounding even though I have to wait at least the weekend to hear anything lol

Reactions: 10 users
An additional question, has anyone recieved a number of seats that have been accepted/are available?
I asked them how many seats they have filled so far and they just didn't answer

Does any one know if Iowa tells us when they get our deposit when we mail it in? I put a tracking thing on it my lost the number so I won’t be able to track it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Does any one know if Iowa tells us when they get our deposit when we mail it in? I put a tracking thing on it my lost the number so I won’t be able to track it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I think they update your status page.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone having luck finding available mobile homes? Everyone I've heard back from so far has either just sold or is about to. Me being 11 hours away isn't helping my housing search rn :(

Anyone having luck finding available mobile homes? Everyone I've heard back from so far has either just sold or is about to. Me being 11 hours away isn't helping my housing search rn :(
Have you tried the CVM buy/sell page? I don’t remember the name off the top of my head (ISU CVM buy/sell or something like that)

there’s usually quite a few homes listed there that aren’t on the mobile home website!

Have you tried the CVM buy/sell page? I don’t remember the name off the top of my head (ISU CVM buy/sell or something like that)

there’s usually quite a few homes listed there that aren’t on the mobile home website!
I haven't heard of that, thank you!

Here's a direct link to the buy/sell/trade FB group. I always had pretty good success finding things for cheap (and sometimes even free) on there.

Here's a direct link to the buy/sell/trade FB group. I always had pretty good success finding things for cheap (and sometimes even free) on there.
Thanks so much!! Looks like a good place for cheap textbooks too :D

Hey guys! So excited to be your classmate I’m trying to get a look at housing & I want to ask the people who live in the trailer parks (old orchard & Creekside are the ones I keep hearing about) why you chose that instead of an apartment? What are the pros and cons? Rent appears way cheaper and the quick walk to campus sounds amazing, but it seems too good to be true LOL.

Also, I’m planning to move in with my boyfriend and potentially another roommate! Would it feel cramped with 3 people (and maybe a couple pets) or is it roomy enough for you?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for those of you who are trailer park fans, would you say parking at the vet school is difficult? is it beneficial to be in walking distance?

I like walking to class. We spend so much time sitting all day. It is also nice not having to pay for the parking permit.

Hey guys! So excited to be your classmate I’m trying to get a look at housing & I want to ask the people who live in the trailer parks (old orchard & Creekside are the ones I keep hearing about) why you chose that instead of an apartment? What are the pros and cons? Rent appears way cheaper and the quick walk to campus sounds amazing, but it seems too good to be true LOL.

Also, I’m planning to move in with my boyfriend and potentially another roommate! Would it feel cramped with 3 people (and maybe a couple pets) or is it roomy enough for you?

Thanks!!!

Would also like to know everyone's input, and if the upfront cost is worth the lower rent? I think I'd live alone.

Thanks!!!

If I could do it over again, I probably would have gone with living in the trailer park. Rent is much, much cheaper there--especially if you split it with roommates. During my time at ISU, I lived in an apartment and, I'll be honest, after rent and utilities every month, I had a really difficult time making it on the small amount the school gives you for living expenses. Even having an extra $1000-2000/year would have helped me out considerably; I probably could have saved that much, if not more, on rent had I gone for a trailer instead. Also, as previously mentioned, being able to easily walk to and from the vet school is always nice (you're still removed from the actual main ISU campus, distance-wise). The majority of people living in the trailer parks, particularly Old Orchard, are vet students so you'd be in good company.

I visited a few friends' trailers while still in vet school and, yeah, they can be surprisingly roomy. Three people shared one with two pets and it didn't seem too terribly cramped, at least to me. *shrugs*

The only semi-substantial con I can think of at the moment is that you'd be kind of on your own for repairs and whatnot, if that is a dealbreaker for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Would also like to know everyone's input, and if the upfront cost is worth the lower rent? I think I'd live alone.

It depends a lot on if you are taking a loan on what kind of trailer you get. The kind of run three tiers. The super expensive new ones that run 60k, the 1990s ones with the shingle roofs that run 30k and ones like mine that are older than I am and run 10-15k.

Rent and all utilities runs about $500 a month. That is about the same as what I have heard classmates with roommates are paying for apartments. If you have a loan for the trailer you are getting close to apartment rent level of cost. Do your research on the trailers too. I have seen plenty were folks paid like 10k for a trailer, slapped some new paint on the inside and tried to sell them for 30k.

I like that the trailers are quieter and I can let the dogs outside right out my front door.

It depends a lot on if you are taking a loan on what kind of trailer you get. The kind of run three tiers. The super expensive new ones that run 60k, the 1990s ones with the shingle roofs that run 30k and ones like mine that are older than I am and run 10-15k.

Rent and all utilities runs about $500 a month. That is about the same as what I have heard classmates with roommates are paying for apartments. If you have a loan for the trailer you are getting close to apartment rent level of cost. Do your research on the trailers too. I have seen plenty were folks paid like 10k for a trailer, slapped some new paint on the inside and tried to sell them for 30k.

I like that the trailers are quieter and I can let the dogs outside right out my front door.
Please help me find a trailer for 10-15k lol. The ones I've looked at are 25k+ and are from the 70s. I am trying not to take on loans for upfront cost in addition to student loans. From what I've looked at so far the living expenses are similar in trailer vs apartment when you consider the purchase price, esp for single living, but I like the idea of being in walking distance of the school. But the trailers are going so fast :'(

Please help me find a trailer for 10-15k lol. The ones I've looked at are 25k+ and are from the 70s. I am trying not to take on loans for upfront cost in addition to student loans. From what I've looked at so far the living expenses are similar in trailer vs apartment when you consider the purchase price, esp for single living, but I like the idea of being in walking distance of the school. But the trailers are going so fast :'(

Finding housing was super stressful. I am hoping to get at least what I paid out of it when I sell to reduce my student loan debt. I got really lucky finding the place through a 4th year student that stopped at the ER I was working at.

If I could do it over again, I probably would have gone with living in the trailer park. Rent is much, much cheaper there--especially if you split it with roommates. During my time at ISU, I lived in an apartment and, I'll be honest, after rent and utilities every month, I had a really difficult time making it on the small amount the school gives you for living expenses. Even having an extra $1000-2000/year would have helped me out considerably; I probably could have saved that much, if not more, on rent had I gone for a trailer instead. Also, as previously mentioned, being able to easily walk to and from the vet school is always nice (you're still removed from the actual main ISU campus, distance-wise). The majority of people living in the trailer parks, particularly Old Orchard, are vet students so you'd be in good company.

I visited a few friends' trailers while still in vet school and, yeah, they can be surprisingly roomy. Three people shared one with two pets and it didn't seem too terribly cramped, at least to me. *shrugs*

The only semi-substantial con I can think of at the moment is that you'd be kind of on your own for repairs and whatnot, if that is a dealbreaker for you.

Can I ask how much you paid monthly for rent/utilities for your apartment?

Which mobile home park has the most lenient pet policies? I need a place without breed restrictions (my dog is a pitbull/staffie mix) and ideally one that allows my three cats and one dog. If I purchased my own place, I want the right to keep all of my pets. I am a slightly older, non-traditional student and these pets are all older animals. I don't want to re-home any of my pets.

Which mobile home park has the most lenient pet policies? I need a place without breed restrictions (my dog is a pitbull/staffie mix) and ideally one that allows my three cats and one dog. If I purchased my own place, I want the right to keep all of my pets. I am a slightly older, non-traditional student and these pets are all older animals. I don't want to re-home any of my pets.

I can't speak to the others, but Old Orchard just has a $10 pet fee for anything and that is it. I know a lot of people with between 3 and 4 dogs and cats. As for pitties, there are also a few in the park. My crew is a golden, malamute and cat. When the family visits it adds 2 dogs, another cat and 2 teenagers.

I can't speak to the others, but Old Orchard just has a $10 pet fee for anything and that is it. I know a lot of people with between 3 and 4 dogs and cats. As for pitties, there are also a few in the park. My crew is a golden, malamute and cat. When the family visits it adds 2 dogs, another cat and 2 teenagers.
That's what I keep hearing about Old Orchard but their website says 1 dog and no mention of cats. :/

Thanks!!!

I chose a trailer park because
1. Walking distance which means I get to wake up 20 min before class starts.
2. Lunch time to go home and hang out with my pet.
3. possibly get a quick nap in.
4. Relatively cheap.
5. don’t have to deal with driving in the snow that much.

Many of the older homes will be about 15-20k and usually the newer it is, the more expensive. Keep in mind though that some that have been listed that cheap are literally dumps on the inside. I remember going to one last April and it looked disgusting. Many things were broken and I don’t even want to get further into it lol.

just be aware and make sure you do your research on purchasing amobile home.

That's what I keep hearing about Old Orchard but their website says 1 dog and no mention of cats. :/
I believe it’s 1 dog per person living there and they’re fine with cats. I’m not really sure if they’re strict about the rules or not though since I’ve seen many people with 2 dogs, though it could be their room mate/SO/etc.

edit to add: I believe old orchard has restrictions on pits but theres quite a few bully breed/mixes/poss pits.

I believe it’s 1 dog per person living there and they’re fine with cats. I’m not really sure if they’re strict about the rules or not though since I’ve seen many people with 2 dogs, though it could be their room mate/SO/etc.

edit to add: I believe old orchard has restrictions on pits but theres quite a few bully breed/mixes/poss pits.

They don't enforce anything.
Do I just not disclose my dog's breed or....? She can't really be confused as anything but what she is.

@Middyaza and @KrystaMM
I'm a soon to be 4th year with @ResoluteMike and like he's said the trailer park is ideal for a low monthly rent, especially when split between roommates. For reference, the new to me trailer I'm moving into for this year is $390 a month for everything (no splitting of utility bills) while my previous location (in a much older trailer) was $330 + half of all utilities making it about the same price as my new place. Depending on trailers you can find some with 2 or 3 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms or even just 1 bed 1 bath due to the second room being smaller and more office like. The trailers usually are all snapped up by now due to most of you having already visited the school on the visit days! TONS of people have WAY more than the number of animals per trailer as we are vet students. The only time they may get grumpy is if you don't pick up your dogs poop but really that's just common courtesy. I think you should disclose the breed but it really doesn't appear that they care.
1587989184944.png

Like others have said obviously keeping your vaccination records handy would be a good idea with any breed living anywhere. I know of classmates and other vet students with obvious pitties and they don't have a problem with the park. Now price wise I can't help you there but as far as I know my roommate is still trying to sell her place for 26k, which while not the newest place in the park is still very nice. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=isu cvm buy/sell/trade&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Wha
@Middyaza and @KrystaMM
I'm a soon to be 4th year with @ResoluteMike and like he's said the trailer park is ideal for a low monthly rent, especially when split between roommates. For reference, the new to me trailer I'm moving into for this year is $390 a month for everything (no splitting of utility bills) while my previous location (in a much older trailer) was $330 + half of all utilities making it about the same price as my new place. Depending on trailers you can find some with 2 or 3 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms or even just 1 bed 1 bath due to the second room being smaller and more office like. The trailers usually are all snapped up by now due to most of you having already visited the school on the visit days! TONS of people have WAY more than the number of animals per trailer as we are vet students. The only time they may get grumpy is if you don't pick up your dogs poop but really that's just common courtesy. I think you should disclose the breed but it really doesn't appear that they care. View attachment 304121
Like others have said obviously keeping your vaccination records handy would be a good idea with any breed living anywhere. I know of classmates and other vet students with obvious pitties and they don't have a problem with the park. Now price wise I can't help you there but as far as I know my roommate is still trying to sell her place for 26k, which while not the newest place in the park is still very nice. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=isu cvm buy/sell/trade&epa=SEARCH_BOX
What are your thoughts about buying without visiting? Obviously it's not ideal but I don't know when I'd be able to visit and I know I need to secure housing asap.

What are your thoughts about buying without visiting? Obviously it's not ideal but I don't know when I'd be able to visit and I know I need to secure housing asap.

I wouldn't recommend it. There is a lot of variability in terms of what you are getting. Some of the folks in the trailer park are amateur house flippers trying to take 20k off their loans. Some of them are selling trailers that no one has wanted to put any money into because they aren't there long and it is the next owners problem. Also we all know those cat owners that never change the litter box.

That said, some folks will charge appropriately (my trailer is a diamond in the rough) and others have been making additions, replacing cabinets and generally trying to improve things. The only way to be sure is to see it or have someone you trust look at it. Honestly treat it like an exercise in buying your first home. You do not want buyers regret for a purchase this expensive.

Does anyone have updates on what number they are currently on?

Wha
I personally wouldn't but it seemed to have worked out well for my roommate when she bought the trailer sight unseen 4 years ago!

#107: I received an offer and accepted!

Reactions: 8 users