Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, @CoopahAquatics and poultry are exceptions, and there's really only one or two super pertinent on those topics offered, but poultry med in particular is offered as a 4th year rotation if that's your thing (in which case, let's be friends!).
Dr. Sato teaches a poultry elective you should probably take! I know a couple people in the 2016 class who decided to become poultry vets. It takes a little more initiative than something like large animal or small animal med, but there are mentors who can help you get your foot in the door somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
does anybody know how many IS vs OOS students are interviewed? I figure there's 4 weekends (although on one page of ISUs website it said 3...) with what seemed to be 6 time slots per interview, 8 interview times a day, and 2 interview days each weekend. So about 96 a weekend * 4 weekends? So roughly 385 people are interviewed, does anybody know from there any acceptance rates or general stats that can give me a smidgen of hope going into my interview weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know how many IS vs OOS students are interviewed? I figure there's 4 weekends (although on one page of ISUs website it said 3...) with what seemed to be 6 time slots per interview, 8 interview times a day, and 2 interview days each weekend. So about 96 a weekend * 4 weekends? So roughly 385 people are interviewed, does anybody know from there any acceptance rates or general stats that can give me a smidgen of hope going into my interview weekend?

I think the class size is usually around 148, so roughly 40-50% from just the raw numbers at this stage. I've got no idea about IS vs. OOS though.

I think they accept more than the 125 needed to fill the class. If you check past threads in this forum, you'll see that they usually get pretty deep into the wait list because people apply to multiple schools and end up choosing to go elsewhere. So your chances are pretty darn good once you've been invited to interview. Even if you don't get accepted, there's a good chance you'll end up on the wait list, and possibly in the class. Don't stress about the interview. It's the easiest part of the application process, and this is coming from an introvert who hates all forms of public speaking.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! Since they are doing the process much earlier this year, when would we find out acceptances?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks! Since they are doing the process much earlier this year, when would we find out acceptances?

On their website it still says Feb 15th because the deadline for sending in fall transcripts is still in early February. So I would think then because they probably still need us to send in transcripts? This is just me hypothesizing...

I think they accept more than the 125 needed to fill the class. If you check past threads in this forum, you'll see that they usually get pretty deep into the wait list because people apply to multiple schools and end up choosing to go elsewhere. So your chances are pretty darn good once you've been invited to interview. Even if you don't get accepted, there's a good chance you'll end up on the wait list, and possibly in the class. Don't stress about the interview. It's the easiest part of the application process, and this is coming from an introvert who hates all forms of public speaking.

this actually made me feel so much better about it. thank you! :)

Just got my interview invite for the 22nd-23rd! :soexcited::soexcited:

Just got my interview invite for the 22nd-23rd! :soexcited::soexcited:
Someone has probably already asked this question, but did you get an email or did you just check your online portal?! And congrats!!!!

I got an interview invite for October 22nd-23rd!
I'm OOS.
Congrats to all who got interviews, and good luck! To those who haven't heard, have hope! :)

Someone has probably already asked this question, but did you get an email or did you just check your online portal?! And congrats!!!!

I got an email notifying me that I had a message on the portal. So you will get a notification that they sent you an invite. :)

Also, I'm an OOS applicant and I think I was verified on 9/12.

I got an email notifying me that I had a message on the portal. So you will get a notification that they sent you an invite. :)

Also, I'm an OOS applicant and I think I was verified on 9/12.
Cool thanks! Mine still says "in committee review" and I was verified on 8/8!! I hope I hear something soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know when they make decisions after interviews? Is it all at once or a few weeks after your interview?
It's all at once. Last year we knew on February 15th; not sure if it's the same date for you guys or not.

Do we need to bring anything to the interview? I've read that some people do thank you's or bring a resume?

Do we need to bring anything to the interview? I've read that some people do thank you's or bring a resume?
Thank-yous are usually after; just bring a pen and paper to write down the addresses that are posted in the alumni room. Or take a pic with your phone. I didn't bring a resume (and I forgot to write thank-yous :whistle:). It's always been a behavioral interview in the past, so a resume wouldn't have been any help. If you're a girl who wears heels to an interview, bring a pair of comfy shoes to change into for the tour. You'll do lots of stairs. Think of a couple questions to ask the interviewers about the school. Think of some questions for the student panel because it's so much less awkward for us if you have things you want to hear about and we don't have to just ramble for an hour. Bring a smile and a positive attitude! And try to relax!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank-yous are usually after; just bring a pen and paper to write down the addresses that are posted in the alumni room. Or take a pic with your phone. I didn't bring a resume (and I forgot to write thank-yous :whistle:). It's always been a behavioral interview in the past, so a resume wouldn't have been any help. If you're a girl who wears heels to an interview, bring a pair of comfy shoes to change into for the tour. You'll do lots of stairs. Think of a couple questions to ask the interviewers about the school. Think of some questions for the student panel because it's so much less awkward for us if you have things you want to hear about and we don't have to just ramble for an hour. Bring a smile and a positive attitude! And try to relax!
So for thank you's, you have access to the emails of your interviewers (is that what you mean by addresses?), and are emailing them later on to thank them?
Thanks!

So for thank you's, you have access to the emails of your interviewers (is that what you mean by addresses?), and are emailing them later on to thank them?
Thanks!

I would HIGHLY recommend that "Thank You" notes be sent via mail. Like an actual thank you card. Taking the time to hand write a little note says a lot more than an email. You can always address the notes directly to the college and they will get them to the faculty contact or the student.

I did not write thank you notes and I still got in. I can understand writing a thank you note to appreciate the time the interviewer put forth, but I have read in other threads that people thought it helped them get in. I find the second part hard to believe.

It absolutely will not increase your chances of getting accepted BUT it is good practice to always write a thank you. And just a heads up- later when you interview for a job... writing a thank you might increase your chances of being hired. Never underestimate the power in showing a little appreciation for the people around you.

I agree (and know for a fact) that writing a thank you note does not increase your chances of getting in. BUT these people are giving up their time on the weekend to meet you (and I'm not sure if they're being paid- maybe, but they MAY be volunteering their time). It is just a nice thing to do to send a thank you note. And I don't think they even give you email addresses, so snail mail is probably your only option. :)

So it looks like 100 per weekend so probably 400 overall? Which states are the contract seats. Looks like OOS stats are pretty slim on getting an acceptance?

So it looks like 100 per weekend so probably 400 overall? Which states are the contract seats. Looks like OOS stats are pretty slim on getting an acceptance?
The contract states are Connecticut, North Dakota, and South Dakota. I'm honestly not sure about OOS odds because I was considered IS when I applied.

Anyone who knows the area want to give a suggestion on where to have dinner? In town for the interview want to check out what there is to see suggestions welcome.

Anyone who knows the area want to give a suggestion on where to have dinner? In town for the interview want to check out what there is to see suggestions welcome.
If you happen to like barbecue, I went to Hickory Park during my interviews and I thought that it was quite good. :) There's also a Japanese hibachi grill/sushi bar right off of Lincoln Way that I tried after white coat and enjoyed (although now I'm blanking out on the name--Shogun, I think?).

Everyone has to go to Hickory Park at least once. What kind of food are you looking for? My favorite places are El Azteca on Dayton Avenue, and the Cafe on the north side of Ames.

If you happen to like barbecue, I went to Hickory Park during my interviews and I thought that it was quite good. :) There's also a Japanese hibachi grill/sushi bar right off of Lincoln Way that I tried after white coat and enjoyed (although now I'm blanking out on the name--Shogun, I think?).
Everyone has to go to Hickory Park at least once. What kind of food are you looking for? My favorite places are El Azteca on Dayton Avenue, and the Cafe on the north side of Ames.

Maybe I'll go to Hickory Park for luck tomorrow. We ended up at Jethro because it was close to the hotel and a couple people here recommended it. Was so so, not great. Wish I had listened to you guys.

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow and Sunday! Hoping to meet at least a few SDNers. :D

Let us know how it goes! I'll be heading up tomorrow!

Wallaby's and brick city grill are my favorites out in north Ames! Highly recommend. Best of luck everyone interviewing!!

How did the interviews go today? I've just been preparing with sample stories for the questions I found on SDN. Hopefully that will be enough.

Interview went well. Hopefully an offer is coming my way. Fingers crossed, the interview started with the interviewers introducing themselves, then asked me to introduce myself. Then they gave the official start and the questions where straight off sdn prep site. They asked follow up questions or asked me to elaborate in a few places. Then they told me it was the end of the interview. Then they asked if I had any questions. Overall I think I did pretty well. I had one of my interviewers chuckling almost the while time. Overall very relaxed, just be yourself. Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 2 users
I hope everyone who interviewed this weekend had a great time! I really enjoyed helping out and getting to see so many potential c/o 2021ers, and good luck to everyone going next!

@cheathac, based on your username, I think we might have met. I talked pretty extensively with a girl who is from Purdue and is interested in pathology--I'm guessing that that was you? I'm rooting for you! :)

This is a long shot, but if anyone is still around, I am heading to Olde Main Brewing Co. I'm traveling alone so any company would be welcome! :)

@SandstormDVM no way!!!!!!!! I bet that was me. Were you into poultry? I thought it went great. Both my interviewers were into research and one gave me her email to contact her. Really felt at home and the facilities were amazing. Such a great experience!

Hello!!

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good resource to prepare for the interview? I've been Googling some behavioral based questions but I was hoping someone knew of any specific ISU questions.

I have my interview on Oct 22nd and I'm so excited!!

For anybody who is wondering, they mentioned during the Dean's welcome that they were going to send out invites in January this year, not February like its been in the past

@SandstormDVM no way!!!!!!!! I bet that was me. Were you into poultry? I thought it went great. Both my interviewers were into research and one gave me her email to contact her. Really felt at home and the facilities were amazing. Such a great experience!

Yes, that was me! I'm glad to hear that you had a great time! :D

But even if the interview went well, there is still a strong chance on not getting in right?

But even if the interview went well, there is still a strong chance on not getting in right?

I think if you've made it to the interview stage, you've still got a pretty decent shot at an acceptance. Last year, ISU only interviewed ~330 applicants out of almost 1000 that applied. Keep in mind, too, that ISU is a school where the OOS waitlist moves very quickly, so even if you get waitlisted and not accepted outright, you still have a good chance of getting in eventually.

Reactions: 4 users

From the presentation at the interviews, they are interviewing approximately 400 this year (might be less) from about 900 applicants.They are going to accept over 125 and then move through the waitlist. This means you will have about a 40% chance of being accepted either way. This doesn't take into consideration your qualifications of course. @cheathac I don't think you'll have a problem getting in unless you totally bomb the interview because you have great academics and that's worth 50% of acceptance.

Thanks @Coopah ! I felt as if the interview went well. The waiting sucks but it'll come soon enough hopefully. I'm sure you'll do fine as well! Maybe we will be able to meet up at another school we interview at

Thanks @Coopah ! I felt as if the interview went well. The waiting sucks but it'll come soon enough hopefully. I'm sure you'll do fine as well! Maybe we will be able to meet up at another school we interview at

That would be so cool remind me what other schools you're applying to I think I've seen you in another thread.

@Coopah Washington state, Missouri, NC state, Ok State, Purdue, Wisconsin and of course Iowa State