Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe at my interview they told us we could only bring a water into the interview room!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You've all been extremely helpful, thank you! I'm keeping fingers crossed for a faculty member or two as that's where I would like to be someday.

Anyone write thank you letters? I've seen that in another thread as well so I'm just picking brains at this point.

I just checked the interview dates on the schools website and noticed that more dates were added! Note the disclaimer "Not all dates will be used". There is still a chance!

Interview dates for the 2016-17 admissions cycle (entering Fall 2017) are as follows. Dates are subject to change and additional dates may be added if necessary. The following are dates being discussed for interviews. Not all dates will be used.
  • October 15, 2016
  • October 22, 2016
  • November 5-6, 2016
  • December 3-4, 2016
  • January 14-15, 2017
  • January 21-22, 2017
  • January 28-29, 2017

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean we won't hear until February if we get in or not?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just checked the interview dates on the schools website and noticed that more dates were added! Note the disclaimer "Not all dates will be used". There is still a chance!

Interview dates for the 2016-17 admissions cycle (entering Fall 2017) are as follows. Dates are subject to change and additional dates may be added if necessary. The following are dates being discussed for interviews. Not all dates will be used.
  • October 15, 2016
  • October 22, 2016
  • November 5-6, 2016
  • December 3-4, 2016
  • January 14-15, 2017
  • January 21-22, 2017
  • January 28-29, 2017

That's been up there for a while and slightly outdated I believe since they used October 16th and October 23rd as well which aren't on there, but maybe they will use them!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. I some with a couple of people on admissions a few weeks ago, and they informed me that ISU recieved fewer applications than expected this cycle and so they were toying with the idea of adding another one or two interview weekends. It wasn't a guaranteed thing but it does sound like they're going through with it, after all. I think I made a post on the last page with more details, if you're interested.

Will they be adding all of those weekends or just 1 or 2 more?

I know a 4th yr student at ISU who had been waitlisted and interviewed after the initial selections (I believe) in late January, so maybe that's what those extra weekends are for? I feel like if they were going to push back the selection date they would have stopped telling interviewees that we would find out in January if we were accepted. I guess we'll know for sure when the December interviews happen if they are told a different date for acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Demographics for this weekend's interviewees: https://vetmed.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/OASA/DEMOGRAPHICS FOR DEC 3-4.pdf

Also, just to clarify...Dr. Howard sent out an email to the entire student body asking for help with interviews this weekend, and she explicitly states in the email that this weekend (Dec 3-4) IS indeed the last weekend of interviews. I am very sorry for any confusion or misunderstandings my earlier posts caused; at the time, a figure on the admissions committee had told me that they were considering adding an additional weekend so I just wanted to share with those of you still in Committee Review limbo. But it looks like they aren't actually going to do it. :(

Thanks for keeping us updated! So hopefully we should hear early January? I'm so excited

Also do you know how many people were interviewed overall? I suppose I could add up all the demographics

Members don't see this ad :)
Also do you know how many people were interviewed overall? I suppose I could add up all the demographics

Looking at the demographics, there were 3 weekends with 96 total interviewees; this weekend, it looks like they upped that a bit to 104. So 392 total...?

Thanks! And do you remember how many people are accepted and on the waitlist for OOS? After my calculations, it looks like they interviewed about 300 OOS.

Goodluck to everyone interviewing this weekend and safe travels! I'll be the girl heavily consuming snacks in the break room before my interview saturday :angelic:

Any recommendations on things to do/places to see while in Ames? I would like to explore the parks and trails, but low 30's doesn't sound appealing to me as a southerner.

Goodluck to everyone interviewing this weekend and safe travels! I'll be the girl heavily consuming snacks in the break room before my interview saturday :angelic:

Any recommendations on things to do/places to see while in Ames? I would like to explore the parks and trails, but low 30's doesn't sound appealing to me as a southerner.
Eat at Hickory Park!! Probably don't do it the day of your interview if you're like me and don't get hungry when you're nervous! I made that mistake and didn't eat much of my meal & was regretting it the next day on my trip home haha

Reiman Gardens butterfly wing is full of tropical butterflies, if you're looking for a little warmth. ;)

Or do a little Christmas shopping on Main Street and support some local businesses.

I'm going to have to say if you are a foodie you should check out Stomping Grounds (coffee shop) and The Cafe (amazing food). I was recommended these places by a criticalist I work with who went to vet school at ISU and they really were a bonus to our trip. :)

Did you guys wear your interview attire for the tour or did you change in the room beforehand?

Did you guys wear your interview attire for the tour or did you change in the room beforehand?
My tour was immediately after my interview so I just wore my interview outfit! I think most people during my interview morning did that same.

to all those like me who are worried about not being offered an interview, I was told this: The Committee is still determining whether or not they will have an additional interview weekend in January. Hopefully, will have the answer to this in the next couple of weeks.

If you're wearing uncomfortable heels to your interview, at least bring comfy shoes for the tour. I don't think many people change their entire outfits. But changing shoes is definitely encouraged.

Good luck to anyone interviewing this weekend! :D

Just got back from helping with today's interviews and after speaking with a couple of people who deal with admissions, I have some interesting and (hopefully) helpful news.

In contrast to many other schools, ISU actually received fewer applications this cycle. They are still wanting to send out admissions decisions sometime in early to mid January, if possible, BUT there has also apparently been talk of adding a fifth interview weekend because they truly do want to find the best fits for the class. I didn't hear anything about potential dates, but that means that those of you who have passed into committee review but haven't heard anything else shouldn't necessarily give up on the school quite yet. I would imagine that the date of final status notification could change depending on whether not they decide to go for that extra interview weekend.

I don't plan on being at the school tomorrow, but I might be working the next scheduled interview weekend. I'll post here if I find anything else out.

EDIT: For UNL/ISU people, I also learned that there were ~60 applicants for that program, so with 25 open spots, you've got just under 50/50 odds. I don't think there's a whole lot of you guys on here, but just FYI.
We had a rep come to speak to our pre-vet club. It was Diana and it's my understanding that she is fairly new to the job so she may have misunderstood something but in her presentation she said that around 60 spots are saved for Iowa residents. Which means nearly, if not all of the Iowa residents who interviewed will likely get a spot. Was she mistaken?

We had a rep come to speak to our pre-vet club. It was Diana and it's my understanding that she is fairly new to the job so she may have misunderstood something but in her presentation she said that around 60 spots are saved for Iowa residents. Which means nearly, if not all of the Iowa residents who interviewed will likely get a spot. Was she mistaken?
I was talking about UNL/ISU applicants, not Iowa residents (I assume you're referring to the bottom of that post?). There are only 25 available spots total for that program.

As for Iowa residents, what Diana told you is correct. There are approximately 60 spots---making up half of the total class size. Generally, I think there's 80-90ish interviewees for those seats; so, yes, if you're IS, the odds are definitely in your favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anybody know what the deadline is for submitting fall transcripts? online it says in february, but it also says there we hear back acceptance decisions feb 15th, so since that has changed, has the date for submitting transcripts as well?

It says February 1st. So did they move it back to February 15th, because I thought at the interview they told us January?

does anybody know what the deadline is for submitting fall transcripts? online it says in february, but it also says there we hear back acceptance decisions feb 15th, so since that has changed, has the date for submitting transcripts as well?
Those were the dates for last year. Since it sounds like they are still planning on having admissions decisions out in January, I'd imagine that the deadline for fall transcripts is also earlier. I can shoot Dr. Howard a message and ask her (and I will also ask about the potential fifth interview weekend and whether or not that is still being considered) if you guys would like.

Also, those of us who worked the interview weekends just received a very nice email thanking us as well as letting us know that the applicant feedback for the interviews was overwhelmingly positive. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for letting us know about your experiences. We---both the students and faculty on the admissions committee---put in a lot of time and really did try very hard to make you all feel welcome and comfortable during your visit, so I am happy to hear that we were largely successful in that.

Reactions: 2 users
Those were the dates for last year. Since it sounds like they are still planning on having admissions decisions out in January, I'd imagine that the deadline for fall transcripts is also earlier. I can shoot Dr. Howard a message and ask her (and I will also ask about the potential fifth interview weekend and whether or not that is still being considered) if you guys would like.

Also, those of us who worked the interview weekends just received a very nice email thanking us as well as letting us know that the applicant feedback for the interviews was overwhelmingly positive. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for letting us know about your experiences. We---both the students and faculty on the admissions committee---put in a lot of time and really did try very hard to make you all feel welcome and comfortable during your visit, so I am happy to hear that we were largely successful in that.

Thank you so much! I fell in love with ISU because of how nice the students and faculty were! I agree also that those were last year's dates, because the website said February during my interview on 10/15 but they told us January.

Thank you for a great experience. I was thoroughly impressed with the facilities, professors, and students. I would be very excited to attend ISU.

Same! And so cool I got to meet you in person @SandstormDVM. The facilities were beautiful and my interviewers and everyone I met were so welcoming. Hoping for an acceptance! The OOS is a lot, but the cost of living appeared to me to be very low. I'd love to have some experience working in the diagnostic lab.

I checked the portal and it says the transcripts are due 2/1, but I sent a message about it. I will let you guys know when I hear back for everybody else who's wondering

Dr. Howard just confirmed for me that the date that transcripts are due is 2/1 and that the website is correct. That makes me wonder then, if the admission decision is still going to be in January?

Dr. Howard just confirmed for me that the date that transcripts are due is 2/1 and that the website is correct. That makes me wonder then, if the admission decision is still going to be in January?

If the acceptances go out then I am sure they will be contingent on passing grades for required classes.

During my interview weekend, she told us it would be earlier than what the website said and would be in January so I think the admission decisions will still be sent out in January!

Information for the Nebraska Students. A little bird told me there were 56 total applications and 37 interview invites. Good luck to everyone interviewing next week!

I'm pretty sure they said beginning of January for decisions. I'm dying to know, I love ISU :happy:

Does anyone's application status say temporarily hidden on the portal?

mine says temporarily hidden as well

Mine is hidden as well... I interviewed October 16th... OOS

@SandstormDVM What does this mean :arghh: Will it stay like this until January when they reveal decisions?

@SandstormDVM What does this mean :arghh: Will it stay like this until January when they reveal decisions?
I don't remember ever seeing a "Temporarily hidden" status last year (though I also didn't check it every day; generally only when someone posted updates in the 2020 thread), so I honestly don't know what it means. :( I know that's not the answer you want to hear.

That's totally fine! I was looking on last year's thread and didn't see anything either. Do they release IS/Nebraska/OOS decisions all at once because are the people from Nebraska interviewing this weekend? I'd figure if they weren't doing any more interviews that they would have decisions. In past years they had them out within a few weeks of the last interview. Since the last one this cycle was early December.. I'm thinking they have decisions, but are just waiting.

That's totally fine! I was looking on last year's thread and didn't see anything either. Do they release IS/Nebraska/OOS decisions all at once because are the people from Nebraska interviewing this weekend? I'd figure if they weren't doing any more interviews that they would have decisions. In past years they had them out within a few weeks of the last interview. Since the last one this cycle was early December.. I'm thinking they have decisions, but are just waiting.

I think UNL/ISU applicants actually historically were notified of their final application status first (presumably because they interview at UNL, not ISU, and there are far fewer applicants and fewer seats to fill at only 25), but I don't know if that'll be the case this year since the whole process seems to be going faster. :shrug:

All ISU-only applicants, OOS and IS, find out at the same time.