Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortunefaded

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone receive any acceptances lately? Just wondering how long it's taking them to send them out. I heard they are a little behind in reviewing applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

well, they are back on the adcom grind again at least. i just got my mstp rejection

sorry scrappysurfer! I interviewed in December and still haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe once you interview at the school, you are considered under their rolling phase for admissions. If they don't accept you from that phase, then your application is placed in the final pool in which they make a list I guess and then jsut accept the students in whatever order they put them in. I think the final pool phase occurs in March or so.

Vomitonme said:
I believe once you interview at the school, you are considered under their rolling phase for admissions. If they don't accept you from that phase, then your application is placed in the final pool in which they make a list I guess and then jsut accept the students in whatever order they put them in. I think the final pool phase occurs in March or so.

I interviewed at Iowa 11-17, got acceptance letter 1-13. So as of then they were pretty behind at that point. Vomitonme is right about the rolling and final pool process.

The consensus seems to be that Iowa puts most of its applicants in the final pool for March. So, it's not a bad sign if you're put in the pool then? And does anyone know what's the waitlist movement like? (just in case you know..)

calvin&hobbes said:
The consensus seems to be that Iowa puts most of its applicants in the final pool for March. So, it's not a bad sign if you're put in the pool then? And does anyone know what's the waitlist movement like? (just in case you know..)

I just recieved an email from iowa that states they have finished w/ the rolling portion of the admissions process, and that the final pool phase is now beginning. It should take 6 weeks so we won't know until March 15.

dave

Sparty Corn Fed said:
I just recieved an email from iowa that states they have finished w/ the rolling portion of the admissions process, and that the final pool phase is now beginning. It should take 6 weeks so we won't know until March 15.

dave

I also got that email today. Anyone have any idea how many spots are left or what kind of chances we have.

Do not know if you are a resident or not, but the admissions coordinator said approximately 40 spots were left in the resident pool.

TommyK said:
Do not know if you are a resident or not, but the admissions coordinator said approximately 40 spots were left in the resident pool.

I am a resident. So how many of us residents are competing for these 40 spots?

fortunefaded said:
I am a resident. So how many of us residents are competing for these 40 spots?
Oh, probably around 200.

does anyone have any idea how many non-resident spots are still open? i know they started with something like 40...hopefully they still left a few open for some hopefulls

dave

Sparty Corn Fed said:
does anyone have any idea how many non-resident spots are still open? i know they started with something like 40...hopefully they still left a few open for some hopefulls

dave

From what I understood, there are likely few to no non-resident spots "open" now, but there is significant movement on the waitlist. I remember them saying that before the pool phase (during rolling), around 1/2 of the instate class is selected and out of state is over selected. Then in pool the rest of the instate is filled and ? how many more out of state are accepted. There is some movement instate on the waitlist and a lot on the out of state, I assume because the location can be a turnoff.

Didn't the school say that it places most of its applicants in the final pool anyways? So I guess it shouldn't be taken personally (like "you were a lousy candidate" type).

By the way, is Iowa still interviewing? If people are interviewed later, can they be placed higher in the final pool list than those who interviewed earlier? And I thought that waiting for interviews was hard.

It says on their website that interviews are held from October to January so I doubt they are still interviewing. If they are then I'm sure they are nearly finished. As far as the final pool goes, I think you are correct. Apparently last year they accepted too many students through the rolling phase and had too many qualified students to choose from in the final pool. I think there plan was to be more cautious this year. Also, I think it is totally possible that someone who interviewed later could be placed above someone who interviewed earlier, but not just because they interviewed later. I believe once the final pools are determined applicants are ranked individually.

calvin&hobbes said:
Didn't the school say that it places most of its applicants in the final pool anyways? So I guess it shouldn't be taken personally (like "you were a lousy candidate" type).

By the way, is Iowa still interviewing? If people are interviewed later, can they be placed higher in the final pool list than those who interviewed earlier? And I thought that waiting for interviews was hard.

Thats the point of Pool admissions, it doesnt matter when you interviewed. All of the applicants will be compared to each other, the best being offered acceptances.

The email notifying the beginning of the pool phase signifies the end of interviews. The pool doesnt start until all applicants are interviewed.