2025-2026 Iowa

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone who has personally got accepted during the rolling phase or knows someone that has within the last few years speak to what their stats were? Just curious if it’s based on overall application or if it’s mainly high stat applicants that are given rolling admissions.
 
Does this school take thank you letters? I saw a previous post in an earlier thread say no but I just want to make sure that is still the case.
 
Can anyone who has personally got accepted during the rolling phase or knows someone that has within the last few years speak to what their stats were? Just curious if it’s based on overall application or if it’s mainly high stat applicants that are given rolling admissions.
I am also curious about this. I wonder if it's high stat IS students who they are hoping to keep.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who’s interviewing far OOS — whats your thought process for choosing in-person vs. virtual?

Flight and hotel would cost $400+ and Iowa says they don’t give preference to applicants who come in person.
 
For anyone who’s interviewing far OOS — whats your thought process for choosing in-person vs. virtual?

Flight and hotel would cost $400+ and Iowa says they don’t give preference to applicants who come in person.
I chose in person. Even though they say they do not give preference to one over another I believe that you can make a much better impression in person than online which in by itself makes the in person option more biased. However, if cost is a significant factor then i'd recommend virtual. Plus, interviewing at a medical school in person is always cool!
 
For anyone who’s interviewing far OOS — whats your thought process for choosing in-person vs. virtual?

Flight and hotel would cost $400+ and Iowa says they don’t give preference to applicants who come in person.
If you can swing it financially, I feel like in-person is always better. I work remotely and use zoom/teams constantly, it's SO hard to make a genuine connection with people, especially strangers, through screens. I just had an in person interview and it was amazing, so much better than online/phone. I feel like I was able to be my best, most likable self in person, and none of the awkwardness of zoom.
 
The interviewers receive 4 candidates (all in the same format) to interview, take notes, then rank them 1-4. They then submit their rankings and notes to the admissions committee. The adcoms do not see what interview format was selected, and applicants are not interviewed by members of the admission committee. They truly mean it when they say your selected interview format will have no impact on your results.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Y'all, I need some words of advice or encouragement. I am a reapplicant, and interviewed at Iowa last year and was rejected after being placed in their final pool. My MCAT is garbage by allopathic MD standards (502, with subsections 123/125/126/128). I studied so hard the second time around and only managed a 503 (125/127/126/125), despite consistently scoring 508-512 on practice exams. I know the only reason I received an interview with them last year is because of my years of experience as working a nurse practitioner, and my other strong ECs that have gone along with that. I am so grateful for a second chance with them (I am interviewing with them again soon), and I'm excited, but it's hard to be optimistic when my MCAT didn't change much. It sucks that they take so long to make final decisions, and it just feels like I'm being jerked around and shouldn't place any emotional stock again in possibly getting accepted. I wish the best of luck to everyone else applying!
 
Last edited:
Y'all, I need some words of advice or encouragement. I am a reapplicant, and interviewed at Iowa last year and was rejected after being placed in their final pool. My MCAT is garbage by allopathic MD standards (502, with subsections 123/125/126/128). I studied so hard the second time around and only managed a 503 (125/127/126/125), despite consistently scoring 508-512 on practice exams. I know the only reason I received an interview with them last year is because of my years of experience as working a nurse practitioner, and my other strong ECs that have gone along with that. I am so grateful for a second chance with them (I am interviewing with them again soon), and I'm excited, but it's hard to be optimistic when my MCAT didn't change much. It sucks that they take so long to make final decisions, and it just feels like I'm being jerked around and shouldn't place any emotional stock again in possibly getting accepted. I wish the best of luck to everyone else applying!
The invited you for an interview again so it shows they're interested. You continued to reapply and keep pursuing medicine which shows resilience. I'm sure you'll get in this cycle. My friend was in a very similar situation and got in the second cycle. You've got this!
 
Y'all, I need some words of advice or encouragement. I am a reapplicant, and interviewed at Iowa last year and was rejected after being placed in their final pool. My MCAT is garbage by allopathic MD standards (502, with subsections 123/125/126/128). I studied so hard the second time around and only managed a 503 (125/127/126/125), despite consistently scoring 508-512 on practice exams. I know the only reason I received an interview with them last year is because of my years of experience as working a nurse practitioner, and my other strong ECs that have gone along with that. I am so grateful for a second chance with them (I am interviewing with them again soon), and I'm excited, but it's hard to be optimistic when my MCAT didn't change much. It sucks that they take so long to make final decisions, and it just feels like I'm being jerked around and shouldn't place any emotional stock again in possibly getting accepted. I wish the best of luck to everyone else applying!
As someone with strong EC's and a similar MCAT score with no II's, you clearly did something right. I have devoted my everything to build a strong application despite low MCAT and Low GPA with hours and strong writing. Believe in yourself and it will shine in interviews
 
As someone with strong EC's and a similar MCAT score with no II's, you clearly did something right. I have devoted my everything to build a strong application despite low MCAT and Low GPA with hours and strong writing. Believe in yourself and it will shine in interviews
Thanks so much for your thoughts. Applying can be so soul-crushing (and has been), and I really appreciate how us fellow applicants can root for each other. I hope everything works out for you as well. <3
 
Thanks so much for your thoughts. Applying can be so soul-crushing (and has been), and I really appreciate how us fellow applicants can root for each other. I hope everything works out for you as well. <3
Did you do a Post R application review with this last year? I did and it was very helpful ( even though they told me I really need to retake the MCAT, not too keen on that)
 
Did you do a Post R application review with this last year? I did and it was very helpful ( even though they told me I really need to retake the MCAT, not too keen on that)
I didn't because I knew my biggest limiting factor was my MCAT, but I do regret not doing that. I feel I present myself well, but I have been practicing careful hypothetical responses while being as articulate as possible to increase my chances.
 
MCAT wasn't my only factor for example. My secondaries were generic and I applied later, which didn't help. Don't overpractice, you still want to sound and be yourself. The important thing is you GOT there, that part is done. speak well and it should go fine
 
MCAT wasn't my only factor for example. My secondaries were generic and I applied later, which didn't help. Don't overpractice, you still want to sound and be yourself. The important thing is you GOT there, that part is done. speak well and it should go fine
That's good to know, thank you for your advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, the most important thing is show them passion and your desire to go to iowa. I did the feedback thing last year (they basically told me i seemed flat about iowa) and took all suggestions and in my interview this year, it felt so much better and im hoping to hear back good news this year but don't go overprepared just know how to speak about your life outside of medicine and the basic traditional questions they mention they will ask about!

Edit: you got this!!!