Jefferson vs Temple vs Drexel (no Penn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thamsenman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would you choose and why if you held acceptances at all 3?

Drexel, Temple, Jefferson.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple-best facilities of them all, they are gona be shooting up in the rankings in the next couple of years

people will say the area around temple is bad, but i have been around there numerous times and have had no problems

Good facilities do not make up for bad professors...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad professors? Not sure where you came up with that one. If you compare grants that the profs have received temple does pretty good.

I'm curious what you find better about Temple's facilities compared to Jefferson's? Can you give some examples? I'm a Jeff student, I like the facilities here, but I haven't seen what Temple has so I'd like to hear differences.

On the other hand, I am a long time resident of the Philly area and can say without a doubt that the area around Temple is not as safe as Jefferson or Drexel. In fact, neighborhood just south of Temple around Broad and Dauphin was rated as the 16th most dangerous area in the country.

Good facilities do not make up for bad professors...

Wow. Who said they had bad professors? Details. . .please share. This would be a big shame if true.

I'm curious what you find better about Temple's facilities compared to Jefferson's? Can you give some examples? I'm a Jeff student, I like the facilities here, but I haven't seen what Temple has so I'd like to hear differences.

On the other hand, I am a long time resident of the Philly area and can say without a doubt that the area around Temple is not as safe as Jefferson or Drexel. In fact, neighborhood just south of Temple around Broad and Dauphin was rated as the 16th most dangerous area in the country.

There's been a lot more rapes and violent crime in the CC area in more recent years.

I go to temple - any specific questions?

I go to temple - any specific questions?

Great. So, how are the professors? Any problems so far?

What about campus or near campus rapes, murders, muggings?

There's been a lot more rapes and violent crime in the CC area in more recent years.
'
Care to post some sources on that? The news tends to make a big deal about violent crimes in center city so it may seem like there is more because of extra coverage.

Here's my source showing the neighborhood just south of Temple as #16 worst in the country. You'll notice that center city isn't on the list. http://www.nowpublic.com/world/most-dangerous-neighborhood-america-top-25-list-cincinnati-1

I think the truth of the matter is that all 3 of them are very fine schools. Just a few things right off the top of my head:
Jeff is in the best area of Philly. Temple in the worst (I am not exaggerating). Drexel students spend the first 2 years on a building away from the hospital. Drexel is perceived as somewhat of a "safety" school (I don't agree with this), even though there is no MD safety school.
I believe Temple had some issues with their accreditation a few years back.
Jeff and Temple just added some beautiful buildings to their facilities. Drexel offers a PBL curriculum option. Jeff has the biggest class of the US with a huge alumni network. In terms of the hospitals, I believe Jeff>Temple>Drexel.
I personally think you'd be happy in any of these schools, with Jeff probably coming on top if it were my decision.

'
Care to post some sources on that? The news tends to make a big deal about violent crimes in center city so it may seem like there is more because of extra coverage.

Here's my source showing the neighborhood just south of Temple as #16 worst in the country. You'll notice that center city isn't on the list. http://www.nowpublic.com/world/most-dangerous-neighborhood-america-top-25-list-cincinnati-1

riche, I didn't say more than anyone else. You read into what I wrote. But the truth is CC has had a good number of rapes and such over the past several years. It's been all over the papers and news.

I'll tell you something else. I worked in the middle of Camden, NJ. Actually heard bullets reviberating on either side of me as I ran low to my car after my shift. Now, that's just as scary, if not more so, yet they are building a new med. school there.

The truth is, you have to be careful anywhere you go. You just have to stay very alert of your surroundings. Even in suburban areas, people let their guard down and fall victim to crime.

What is a shame is that no place is really all that safe anymore. The school that is backing the new medical school in Camden is supposedly safer suburban community--especially compared to Camden. But they didn't have the security that say, Rutgers in Camden (if you stay on campus) has, and thus there were more attacks. So you have to consider the amount and quality of security that the campus has.

If you stray too far off of any inner city reservations (campuses), yes, you could easily be in trouble. Still, again, even CC Philly has had its share of rapes and attacks. They've tried to beef up police presence in the area and in various parts of West Philly--but Philly is in financial trouble too. They've also had problems with thugs and gags coming down via the subway.

I think the truth of the matter is that all 3 of them are very fine schools. Just a few things right off the top of my head:
Jeff is in the best area of Philly. Temple in the worst (I am not exaggerating). Drexel students spend the first 2 years on a building away from the hospital. Drexel is perceived as somewhat of a "safety" school (I don't agree with this), even though there is no MD safety school.
I believe Temple had some issues with their accreditation a few years back.
Jeff and Temple just added some beautiful buildings to their facilities. Drexel offers a PBL curriculum option. Jeff has the biggest class of the US with a huge alumni network. In terms of the hospitals, I believe Jeff>Temple>Drexel.
I personally think you'd be happy in any of these schools, with Jeff probably coming on top if it were my decision.

At Drexel, the medicine and health sciences is in Center City, off of Vine at Hahnemann, not in West Philly, where the main campus for Drexel is.

Plus Jefferson has many spread out sites--many things are spread out over a number of blocks in various directions in CC. You MUST keep your eyes open at all times.

Other issues: OK, I really don't know how true this is, but one of my best friend's husband went to Jefferson, and he felt it was a very punitive program. It functioned using grading, not pass/fail. Don't know how you feel about that. Personally I think P/F and Honors is fine enough for medical school. It's time to learn not get stuck in ultra competitive mode.
Now things may have changed there since he graduated. I'd say it's been about ten years. So a lot can change in ten years. Plus, I don't think he's the kind of person that likes being told what and how to do things. That's a problem in MS and in residency I think.

My top picks for Philly would be U of Penn (sshh, it was purposely left out, lol) and Temple. But I certainly would cry at receiving an acceptance from the others. They're all pretty good schools it seems to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But the medical campus for medicine and health sciences is in Center City, off of fine at Hahnemann, not in West Philly where the main campus is.

the medical school I believe is in the north/northwest on Queen lane, up around Wissahickon Ave. At least that is where you do preclinical years.

the medical school I believe is in the north/northwest on Queen lane, up around Wissahickon Ave. At least that is where you do preclinical years.

Yes, well, they spread things out too. That's the East Falls section of Philadelphia. It used to be WCP --> MCP. Then MCP closed and Drexel/Hahnemann merged; so. . . But there are also facilities at the CC campus, which includes Hahnemann University Hospital. Also their pediatric center is Saint Christopher's Hospital. Personally I think CHOP is much safer. SCH is in a low income and troubling area of North Philly; but SCH is fenced, and again, if you stay on the hospital campus, you should be alright.

As I said before, no matter where you go, you really must keep aware and your eyes and ears open.

At Drexel, the medicine and health sciences is in Center City, off of Vine at Hahnemann, not in West Philly, where the main campus for Drexel is.

Plus Jefferson has many spread out sites--many things are spread out over a number of blocks in various directions in CC. You MUST keep your eyes open at all times.

Other issues: OK, I really don't know how true this is, but one of my best friend's husband went to Jefferson, and he felt it was a very punitive program. It functioned using grading, not pass/fail. Don't know how you feel about that. Personally I think P/F and Honors is fine enough for medical school. It's time to learn not get stuck in ultra competitive mode.
Now things may have changed there since he graduated. I'd say it's been about ten years. So a lot can change in ten years. Plus, I don't think he's the kind of person that likes being told what and how to do things. That's a problem in MS and in residency I think.

My top picks for Philly would be U of Penn (sshh, it was purposely left out, lol) and Temple. But I certainly would cry at receiving an acceptance from the others. They're all pretty good schools it seems to me.

in 10 years a lot of things changed in all 3 schools. H/P/F is the current system at the 3 schools I want to say, but I am not positive.
Anybody has any info pertinent to the accreditation/probation status Temple had a couple of years ago?

in 10 years a lot of things changed in all 3 schools. H/P/F is the current system at the 3 schools I want to say, but I am not positive.
Anybody has any info pertinent to the accreditation/probation status Temple had a couple of years ago?

i believe temple is just pass/fail

also i believe temple was on probation status couple of years because of its facilities but last September they opened up a new med school building. I have been there couple of times and its an awesome building

i believe temple is just pass/fail

also i believe temple was on probation status couple of years because of its facilities but last September they opened up a new med school building. I have been there couple of times and its an awesome building

Temple is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. Wish it was straight P/F. Aw well.

Jefferson has an excellent clinical reputation, it is in the best area of Philadelphia out of the three schools, and has very appealing opportunities for community outreach and global health

So Jeff's med program is P/F/Hs?

Yes, the preclinical years are spent in East Falls on the Queen Lane Medical Campus. The biomedical graduate students (PhD, etc.) are there as well.

Drexel's main teaching hospital is Hahnemann, but you have the opportunity to do clinical rotations in hospitals throughout the city and the region.

Also, Drexel's grading system is H/HP/P/F.

I did a quick search and there are several other threads on this topic...most within the past two years or so. Many of the arguments are the same, but to the OP, you might get more insight if you read into these threads.

Jefferson vs. Temple vs. Drexel
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=414253
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=350590

Temple vs. Jeff
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689519

Drexel vs. Jeff
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=369243

Growing up in the Philadelphia area, I think all 3 schools are pretty good places to learn medicine. I think Jeff sort of wins out of the three mainly because (1) it has the best location (2) great facilities (3) best hospital (4) non-competitive P/F/Honors system (5) decent research. I interviewed at Temple and Jeff, but declined my interview at Drexel (mainly because I had been accepted at Jeff already). Many people (i.e. patients) in Philly view Jefferson as a superior clinical hospital than even UPenn. It's connected to one of the top eye hospitals in America (Wills Eye Institute), has a great neurology/neurological surgery center, and very well respected orthopedics. Also, visiting the many schools...Jeff students seemed extremely friendly, relaxed, and happy. They go out a lot, and the large class size actually creates a slightly more vibrant social scene.

If I had to rank them I'd put them Jeff > Temple > Drexel. Temple definitely has a great new medical school building and amazing clinical training, and Drexel has a really unique PBL options, but I'd still put Jeff above both of them if I had to choose. Temple has a masked grading system (Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail), which I think creates competition among students. If you look at the match list, I think Jeff students tend to fair better in gaining competitive residencies as opposed to Temple. I know less about Drexel because I didn't end up interviewing there...but I do have friends who are 3rd/4th year med students there and often speak poorly of it (mainly that everyone who ends up there did so not because Drexel was their first choice, but because they didn't get in anywhere else AND that the administration can be a terrible web of red tape). Conversely, I know there's a lot of enthusiasm and pride among both Temple and Jeff students for their schools....everyone really wants to be there.

Go to whichever one is closer to Paddy's Pub.

I know all schools will get a student will they want to go but...

From what I have discussed with the Surgeons and Physicians while shadowing at Penn..Temple seems to produce the most clinically competent students when they graduate from medical school.

I also have heard great stories about the anatomy program at Temple which has been taught by the same professor for over 25 years and everyone..even docs who graduated back in the day speak very highly of him.
I gotta say Temple>Jeff>Drexel. Hell, one of the surgeons I know who went to Jeff told me that Temple was the best ticket in town and that he would have gone there if he could have.

It may be filmed in Cali, but there are some pretty serious rumors that the actors/creators/producers will be opening a bar in Philly soon

From what I have discussed with the Surgeons and Physicians while shadowing at Penn..Temple seems to produce the most clinically competent students when they graduate from medical school.

I also have heard great stories about the anatomy program at Temple which has been taught by the same professor for over 25 years and everyone..even docs who graduated back in the day speak very highly of him.
I gotta say Temple>Jeff>Drexel. Hell, one of the surgeons I know who went to Jeff told me that Temple was the best ticket in town and that he would have gone there if he could have.

who cares about the anatomy professor? after the first 3 months you can't even remember where the stinking lab was....plus things change a lot. What the situation was like when these docs were in school might be a lot different than what things are like now.

Drexel (total enrollment): 1,072
Jefferson (total enrollment):
Temple (total enrollment): 703

Forgot to mention this as well, respective school sizes.

It may be filmed in Cali, but there are some pretty serious rumors that the actors/creators/producers will be opening a bar in Philly soon

Thanks for that nugget of wisdom. If this comes to fruition, it gives me a reason to go to Old City.

Yep. I have to agree.

Hm, really?

The location for Jefferson is by far the best out of the three. It also has the reputation of being an incredibly happy place for med students to go. I really liked it when I interviewed there (though I didn't do Temple or Drexel) and my friend who currently is attending LOVES it despite studying his butt off every day. I think that speaks pretty highly of a school.

The location for Jefferson is by far the best out of the three. It also has the reputation of being an incredibly happy place for med students to go. I really liked it when I interviewed there (though I didn't do Temple or Drexel) and my friend who currently is attending LOVES it despite studying his butt off every day. I think that speaks pretty highly of a school.

I interviewed at all three and received the same impression. I have a few friends at Jeff who absolutely love it.

If you're really interested in ortho go Jeff.

'

Ooooo just saw that UChicago is literally 1 mi. away from the second most dangerous neighborhood on the list...

Good thing they also have the 2nd largest private police force in the world (to the Vatican).

I would go to Jefferson. It has a much better reputation than Temple and Drexel (or at least I think so). It's probably also cheaper.

Temple is in a very bad area. Nice school with a good reputation though, but I value safety in these kinds of choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.