Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This has got to be a troll right? A very convincing one however.

Members don't see this ad.

Implying you're not jealous that you will never be a pediatric anesthesiologist that attended Johns Hopkins.
Well I will actually 100% be a pediatric oncologist anesthesiologist, so I am not jealous at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP's username and question make me chuckle. Also OP, if you're going to JHU for undergrad, I'd like necrobumping this thread 1 year from now to see how it turned out and whether your aspirations are the same.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to go to Johns Hopkins for my undergrad. Too bad I could not afford it. I would end up paying more for my undergrad degree that my state MD.

I wanted to go to Johns Hopkins for my undergrad. Too bad I could not afford it. I would end up paying more for my undergrad degree that my state MD.

Same situation here. I feel like I dodged a bullet by not going though. Did you know how unimaginably hard it is to get a good GPA at JHU? Combine that so many premeds go there with the fact that students pay hoards of money to go there, and its no wonder its so depressing.

edit: It will likely cost more than where I will go to med school.

Same situation here. I feel like I dodged a bullet by not going though. Did you know how unimaginably hard it is to get a good GPA at JHU? Combine that so many premeds go there with the fact that students pay hoards of money to go there, and its no wonder its so depressing.

edit: It will likely cost more than where I will go to med school.

Yea. I think I am going to enjoy my state school though, the medical schools have massive in state preference.

JHU undergrad is no fun from what I hear, double bullet dodge

Yea. I think I am going to enjoy my state school though, the medical schools have massive in state preference.

I remember I got some Bloomberg scholarship or something like that, so it wouldn't have been super expensive, but hearing this kind of stuff makes me feel relieved I chose elsewhere.

JHU is gnarly and miserable. They, along with MIT and UChicago, always get a head-bowed moment of silence from me at my computer screen when I hear people are matriculating there as hopeful premeds. But I am also a cynic - I hope OP proves me wrong and has a blast and gets a phenomenal GPA!

Also, people should leave OP alone about already dreaming of a specialty. You don't know what experiences may be motivating that interest; perhaps they grew up suffering a peds pain condition and are 100% certain it is their calling to return to help others. I've been dreaming of studying neuroscience since I entered high school, despite everyone telling me you change major twelve times in college, and that turned out accurate for me.

@gettheleadout love the signature. I've always called it a-po-to-sis and have drawn weird looks and a few times been corrected that it's a-pop-to-sis.

Reactions: 1 users
JHU is gnarly and miserable. They, along with MIT and UChicago, always get a head-bowed moment of silence from me at my computer screen when I hear people are matriculating there as hopeful premeds. But I am also a cynic - I hope OP proves me wrong and has a blast and gets a phenomenal GPA!

Also, people should leave OP alone about already dreaming of a specialty. You don't know what experiences may be motivating that interest; perhaps they grew up suffering a peds pain condition and are 100% certain it is their calling to return to help others. I've been dreaming of studying neuroscience since I entered high school, despite everyone telling me you change major twelve times in college, and that turned out accurate for me.

@gettheleadout love the signature. I've always called it a-po-to-sis and have drawn weird looks and a few times been corrected that it's a-pop-to-sis.

I think most pre-meds (based on the ones I have met and conversed with here on the Internet) are not cut out for schools like MIT and CalTech and Uchicago. Not that they can't hack it because many certainly can, even if they get by with a lower GPA, but those schools just might not be the right schools for them. The personality that would thrive at those schools (hyper academic, science focused, exceedingly self motivated) is better suited for the worlds of industry and research than they are for patient care. Most pre-meds would probably be better off somewhere like the Ivy League, Swarthmore, Williams and Mary, etc.

This is just my opinion but I feel this way especially when advising the underclassmen these days.

Them: "Oh I have to take another science class..."

Me: not necessarily! What other classes do you enjoy?

Them: My English class was the best class I've ever taken!

Me: great! Try to find ones that you like and take those! Here let's look *spend 15 mins looking up English classes*

Them two weeks later: oh I signed up for immunology and immunology lab. I heard they were an easy A!

Me: *tries very hard not to consider self a failure*

I think most pre-meds (based on the ones I have met and conversed with here on the Internet) are not cut out for schools like MIT and CalTech and Uchicago. Not that they can't hack it because many certainly can, even if they get by with a lower GPA, but those schools just might not be the right schools for them. The personality that would thrive at those schools (hyper academic, science focused, exceedingly self motivated) is better suited for the worlds of industry and research than they are for patient care. Most pre-meds would probably be better off somewhere like the Ivy League, Swarthmore, Williams and Mary, etc.

This is just my opinion but I feel this way especially when advising the underclassmen these days.

Me: great! Try to find ones that you like and take those! Here let's look *spend 15 mins looking up English classes*

Them two weeks later: oh I signed up for immunology and immunology lab. I heard they were an easy A!

My go-to advice for the kind of student considering MIT&co is to instead take a sexy full-ride offer to state school, especially if there is a strong honors college program. Ivy tends to be happier vibes but there's still a ton of weedout of great students

Hate the stupid hoop jumping, constant resume building game man, not the players. Ain't nothin wrong with phil classes

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been dreaming of studying neuroscience since I entered high school, despite everyone telling me you change major twelve times in college, and that turned out accurate for me.

I see what you did there

That moment you realize the OP was probably born in 1997...While you were riding your 'dyno' bike around the neighborhood...with your best friend on the pegs...and a walkie-talkie in hand so mom could 'call' you when dinner was ready...also, the members of Blink 182 were not in their 40s...

But alas, I digress...

My go-to advice for the kind of student considering MIT&co is to instead take a sexy full-ride offer to state school, especially if there is a strong honors college program. Ivy tends to be happier vibes but there's still a ton of weedout of great students

Hate the stupid hoop jumping, constant resume building game man, not the players. Ain't nothin wrong with phil classes

That's just it though. The "game" doesn't exist. Only the players exist. The players create the game by playing it. People are willing to subjugate themselves to a machine that only exists in their heads for some reason. The overwhelming availability of evidence shows that the "game" is wrong on many counts!

That's just it though. The "game" doesn't exist. Only the players exist. The players create the game by playing it. People are willing to subjugate themselves to a machine that only exists in their heads for some reason. The overwhelming availability of evidence shows that the "game" is wrong on many counts!
I'd say the evidence points to the game working pretty well. Most of the people I talk to dislike their research, yet they all have to do it to stand a shot at top med schools because 95+% of admitted students had research. If someone did their own thing, took more phil classes instead of research credits, the game would very much punish them for it come cycle time.

I'd say the evidence points to the game working pretty well. Most of the people I talk to dislike their research, yet they all have to do it to stand a shot at top med schools because 95+% of admitted students had research. If someone did their own thing, took more phil classes instead of research credits, the game would very much punish them for it come cycle time.

Tell that to all the doctors and medical students who wish they had done something else and explored other interests before it was all taken away from them.

I feel I was better served exploring life and my interests than I would have been by going to a top school, personally. But that's really more of a to each their own situation.

As to your previous comment about op maybe having their reasons or whatever, pediatric pain management is a microscopically tiny field, to the point of being borderline non-existent. It just isn't a realistic practice goal unless they want to have a useless pain fellowship and practice peds anesthesia the majority of the time, basically.

Hard to know what you're missing if you've never experienced it. I certainly had my eyes opened by going abroad for a semester. Being in school through your 20's is gonna suck
I feel I was better served exploring life and my interests than I would have been by going to a top school, personally. But that's really more of a to each their own situation.

As to your previous comment about op maybe having their reasons or whatever, pediatric pain management is a microscopically tiny field, to the point of being borderline non-existent. It just isn't a realistic practice goal unless they want to have a useless pain fellowship and practice peds anesthesia the majority of the time, basically.

Tell that to all the doctors and medical students who wish they had done something else and explored other interests before it was all taken away from them.
I mean the game exists and needs to be played, not that it's what should exist

Hard? Yes. Imaginably hard? Not as of now, but we'll see after Orgo, lol. But I like having so many premeds around; at their best, they're very inspiring and encouraging, and at their worst, they give me a good reflection of how neurotic I probably am, which keeps me in check. But Hopkins does know how to pillage a bank account, lol.

This made me lol. You have to be a certain type of person to love Hopkins, but we're not all writhing in agony, haha.

Is it just me, or do all pre-meds who think they already know what field they want to go into ALWAYS add "pediatric" in front of the field they're interested in? Pediatric anesthesiology, pediatric oncology, etc. I met a LOT of future pediatric neurosurgeons when I was in undergrad.

You want kids? Or old people?

I mean the game exists and needs to be played, not that it's what should exist

You can opt out of the game and still be successful. Doing well in school and practicing for an exam are not part of a game, they are reasonable expectations. Selling yourself out for checkboxes certainly is and you dont need to do that to get in.

Is it just me, or do all pre-meds who think they already know what field they want to go into ALWAYS add "pediatric" in front of the field they're interested in? Pediatric anesthesiology, pediatric oncology, etc. I met a LOT of future pediatric neurosurgeons when I was in undergrad.

You want kids? Or old people?

Hard? Yes. Imaginably hard? Not as of now, but we'll see after Orgo, lol. But I like having so many premeds around; at their best, they're very inspiring and encouraging, and at their worst, they give me a good reflection of how neurotic I probably am, which keeps me in check. But Hopkins does know how to pillage a bank account, lol.
All private schools: "we're not-for-profit!"
Students: "cool, can I get my $300k back?"
schools: "Nope."

This made me lol. You have to be a certain type of person to love Hopkins, but we're not all writhing in agony, haha.
Your happiness surveys year after year are abysmal compared to similar schools. I'm sure there are some happy students anywhere but on average JHU relative to somewhere like Vandy or Brown or WashU or Northwestern...total hell, according to its student body :p

Your happiness surveys year after year are abysmal compared to similar schools. I'm sure there are some happy students anywhere but on average JHU relative to somewhere like Vandy or Brown or WashU or Northwestern...total hell, according to its student body :p
Well Brown averages like a 3.7+ across the entire student body and gives out 60-70% A's in every class so....

I'd be freakin' ecstatic there as well :D

If it makes you feel better I still want to do pediatric anesthesiology

So do pediatric anesthesiologists just do the crossword puzzles in the Highlights magazines?

Reactions: 2 users
Needing help getting information about Johns Hopkins medical school and their summer intern ship program for pre- med students. I am going this fall for pre-med... I'm going to study for pediatric anesthestiology and pain management and am trying to get more I formation....
Thank you

We need people like you to take care of all the 12 year olds with chronic back pain.

Oh! My! God! Are! the! excessive! exclamation! points! driving! anyone! else! crazy???!!!!

EDIT: needed an emoji for emphasis.
And @HCHopeful beat me to it.

Last edited:

Ms. Ox transferred to one of the schools in your post from a Big XII state school "because it seemed like a waste of time to be going to a school that easy."

Obviously neither she nor any of her friends were pre-med.