Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
When does the class at this school usually fill up? Are they still going for trying to have the class set by the end of this year like in the past?

With the addition of the Joplin campus, it's anyone's guess.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Checking out KCU's Facebook page and it looks like they took some pics of peepz interviewing on 9/27! Wonder who's who?!

Checking out KCU's Facebook page and it looks like they took some pics of peepz interviewing on 9/27! Wonder who's who?!

That was definitely my 9/23 group!!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary 2-3 days ago, complete email today. That was quick! PLZ SHOW ME LOVE KCU-COM!!

II today. Interviewing 11/29. Secondary completed 9/14. 3.3 ScGPA, 510 MCAT, all 6 LOR. Kinda peeved because they had much earlier spots but I couldn't snag them in time because I have to put my phone away for work and all the available times interfere with work-related travel. Kinda peeved bc that puts me at a disadvantage to the people who are interviewing next week. Calling tomorrow to see if they can squeeze me in earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, do you think it would be appropriate for me to talk about the skills I've developed as a student to excel in medical school for the secondary question which states:

Please describe the environment in which you will be a successful osteopathic medical student. You may wish to include: preferred learning style, the leadership style you best respond to or any other information you deem pertinent.

I know the question asked about the environment, but at the end it says "any other information you deem pertinent."

Submitted my secondary 2-3 days ago, complete email today. That was quick! PLZ SHOW ME LOVE KCU-COM!!
Can I ask when you submitted your primary? They still haven't sent me the secondary. I sent them my verified primary on 9/14, and got the email for secondary screening on 9/16 that said 2 weeks. So I emailed them on Mon 10/17 and they told me I was still in line for secondary screening.

Hey all, do you think it would be appropriate for me to talk about the skills I've developed as a student to excel in medical school for the secondary question which states:

Please describe the environment in which you will be a successful osteopathic medical student. You may wish to include: preferred learning style, the leadership style you best respond to or any other information you deem pertinent.

I know the question asked about the environment, but at the end it says "any other information you deem pertinent."
That's exactly what I talked about, but I interwove it in a way that answers the question clearly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask when you submitted your primary? They still haven't sent me the secondary. I sent them my verified primary on 9/14, and got the email for secondary screening on 9/16 that said 2 weeks. So I emailed them on Mon 10/17 and they told me I was still in line for secondary screening.
Sure. I submitted my primary mid-Sept. I think they were waiting on my second MCAT score because as soon as it was verified (Early October) and uploaded into AACOMAS, they sent me a secondary within hours.
What are your stats? I'm 3.35/503 --> 512(2nd attempt) with a hill-like grade trend.

Sure. I submitted my primary mid-Sept. I think they were waiting on my second MCAT score because as soon as it was verified (Early October) and uploaded into AACOMAS, they sent me a secondary within hours.
What are your stats? I'm 3.35/503 --> 512(2nd attempt) with a hill-like grade trend.

I have 3.6 overall, 3.8 science, 508 only attempt (which was in May). I'm getting pretty anxious about not even receiving the secondary.

I have 3.6 overall, 3.8 science, 508 only attempt (which was in May). I'm getting pretty anxious about not even receiving the secondary.
Your stats are better than mine! You should definitely email them again! IMO, my app is pretty average and my GPA trend my last year(s) is horrid. You definitely should have gotten a secondary!

I submitted my primary on June 20th, received secondary on July 26th. Point is, the screening takes awhile even when people apply early

Two questions for y'all: 1) Is it safe to assume Admissions has our letters of Rec/MCAT scores/etc. if we received the email, "Your application to KCU-COM is now complete and is in the review stage. Please give our office up to 6 weeks to review your application, although every effort is made to review as quickly as possible."

2) For those that have gotten IIs, does KCU stick to the 6 week time-frame for making a decision?

Two questions for y'all: 1) Is it safe to assume Admissions has our letters of Rec/MCAT scores/etc. if we received the email, "Your application to KCU-COM is now complete and is in the review stage. Please give our office up to 6 weeks to review your application, although every effort is made to review as quickly as possible."

2) For those that have gotten IIs, does KCU stick to the 6 week time-frame for making a decision?

Interesting... a month ago, the complete email was 4 weeks. Six weeks sounds about right, maybe even 7 or 8 as of now.

Interesting... a month ago, the complete email was 4 weeks. Six weeks sounds about right, maybe even 7 or 8 as of now.

I received this complete email in the first few days of October so there might be a time delay. If your email said four weeks, did they give you a decision within four?

I received this complete email in the first few days of October so there might be a time delay. If your email said four weeks, did they give you a decision within four?

Nope, that's why I believe the current status is 6+ weeks.

Withdrew my II. I hope it goes to someone still waiting to hear back!

Anyone interviewing Nov 1st? (and are most people staying at 816 hotel? or Hotel Phillips?) Would love to split car rental fees or uber/lyft carpool rides if anyone is interested (PM me if so!)

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing Nov 1st? (and are most people staying at 816 hotel? or Hotel Phillips?) Would love to split car rental fees or uber/lyft carpool rides if anyone is interested (PM me if so!)
Interviewed last week. Hotel phillips is fantastic and in a super spot in the city if you find some time to explore.

Anyone know of any good hotels that aren't TOO expensive in the area that offer a shuttle service

Cheaper! Not all of us can afford to send our posts from our iPads using the SDN mobile app or the 816 Hotel

They give a discount to 816 and the hotel provides a shuttle to the school... it was like 100 or so bucks for two nights. The hotel also offered 2 free drinks at 5 pm if you're into that.

Edit: if you find something cheaper it will more than likely be offset by transportation costs depending on the location of said hotel.

Anyone know of any good hotels that aren't TOO expensive in the area that offer a shuttle service

I stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites which was ~100$ and it's only like 1.5 miles from the school. It doesn't have a shuttle but the Uber ride there was 5$.

How come they haven't sent out follow up emails regarding deposit, deadlines, and FB page to those accepted?

How come they haven't sent out follow up emails regarding deposit, deadlines, and FB page to those accepted?
They said within 5-7 business days after receiving the acceptance email. So maybe later today, Monday or Tuesday?

Last year was snail mail letters we didn't get for a couple weeks after. They will include your student ID number and tentative white coat date, as well as a hard copy of your acceptance letter. All the info you need can be found on Kcumb.edu/matriculation

Just got the official snail mail acceptance letter!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey all. I'm trying to decide if it is worth applying to KCU-COM this late in the DO cycle. I'm a Florida resident and URM. Stats are 3.48 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 3.89 GPA from a combined undergrad-MPH program. Highest MCAT is 503 (126/123/127/127). Lots of ECs in leadership and service, but most especially with doing clinicals and research in MUAs. Also have strong letters of rec from faculty and the DO I'm currently shadowing with.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
The snail mail letter so far was exact same as email. We should get a follow up tho with more info

Got the snail mail just now. Totally framing this!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted! Did not expect to hear back that quick. Interviewed 10/6.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey there. I interviewed 10/5, and just got their email on the status. They said I am on their waitlist, and I can always submit a letter of intent...How much hope is there? @AlteredScale

Accepted to KC campus!!! I'm at work and I literally jumped out of my seat!!! I did not think I'd get accepted with my stats (502 MCAT).

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted to KC campus!!! Interviewed 10/6

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED!!!! So excited!! Interviewed 10/6 3.4sgpa/3.6ms/504

Reactions: 11 users
Congratulations on the acceptances! :clap:

Congrats friends! Seeing you guys getting accepted brings back memories of my excitement exactly one week ago!

Congrats to everyone! Did you all put KC as your campus preference?