Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone having trouble paying the secondary fee? when i click "pay now," it takes me to a page that says:
Form Processing Error

The following errors occurred while processing your request:

EDIT: NVM IT'S WORKING NOW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone else still having technical difficulties with the secondary? It won't let me click on anything. I even downloaded firefox and it still doesn't work.

Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary link is working fine now, they sent out a follow-up email saying that they fixed the issue.

Submitted - does anyone know how to go about using the fee waiver for this secondary? I was going to just contact admissions to let them know since I don't see another option on the secondary website. Ideas?

Submitted - does anyone know how to go about using the fee waiver for this secondary? I was going to just contact admissions to let them know since I don't see another option on the secondary website. Ideas?
Please let me know what they say!

Applying here. cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 26 (8/8/10). Lots of shadowing/volunteering (over 200 volunteering and over 300 shadowing 4 different doctors).

Applying here. cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 26 (8/8/10). Lots of shadowing/volunteering (over 200 volunteering and over 300 shadowing 4 different doctors).

I think that you have a pretty good shot, keep us posted!

I think that you have a pretty good shot, keep us posted!

Thanks, Turtleton! Will do. I'd say KCUMB, COMP, and NSUCOM are my top three Osteopathic. I applied to a bunch of allopathic; however, I think I am only going to follow through with VCU, to which I already submitted my secondary. I was expecting a higher MCAT score. I averaged a 32 on about 15 practice tests (AAMC and Kaplan). No idea what happened on test day :bang:.

Some mind sharing the prompts please

Some mind sharing the prompts please

1. Describe your motivation for applying to KCUMB’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (specifically our institution). (2500 characters)
2. Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful. (2500 characters)
3. Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience? (2500 characters)

I'm still working on this one... I don't know why it's taking me so long. The last two questions seem more like questions they would ask during interviews.

1. Describe your motivation for applying to KCUMB’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (specifically our institution). (2500 characters)
2. Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful. (2500 characters)
3. Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience? (2500 characters)

I'm still working on this one... I don't know why it's taking me so long. The last two questions seem more like questions they would ask during interviews.
Thanks. Wow those sound like hard questions. I'm going to have to dig deep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Turtleton! Will do. I'd say KCUMB, COMP, and NSUCOM are my top three Osteopathic. I applied to a bunch of allopathic; however, I think I am only going to follow through with VCU, to which I already submitted my secondary. I was expecting a higher MCAT score. I averaged a 32 on about 15 practice tests (AAMC and Kaplan). No idea what happened on test day :bang:.

I am applying to KCUMB and NSU as well :) I only applied to my state MD school and a couple up north that like lower stats (3.4, 27 mcat) so we shall see. I'm sure you will get in somewhere! Have you gotten any other secondaries??

Also, the KCUMB questions do look really tough, I haven't even started on them yet. I'd put them on par with MSU and CCOM haha

Oh wow the secondary seems more brutal this year haha

I decided to write my secondary for this school tonight so they could have it by tomorrow, but these prompts are HARD.

Reactions: 1 user
I decided to write my secondary for this school tonight so they could have it by tomorrow, but these prompts are HARD.

probably a good idea bud, I tend to read the tough prompts and mull them over for a few days then when I get some solid ideas I start writing. Otherwise my writing is kind of gibberish lol

The one about failure was tough for me especially, the others weren't too awful

Application in!
30 (10/10/10), 3.80 cum, 3.84 sci
Average ECs and a decent amount of shadowing.

MD rec letter (shining). We have an infinitely better relationship than with the DOs I shadowed, so I made that call.

Can anyone confirm if KCUMB campus area has google fiber??

Application in!
30 (10/10/10), 3.80 cum, 3.84 sci
Average ECs and a decent amount of shadowing.

MD rec letter (shining). We have an infinitely better relationship than with the DOs I shadowed, so I made that call.

Good luck with those stats)

I am really upset right now. I really want to go to this school, however I just read that your letters of rec have to be written AFTER August 2013 (within 2 years of matriculation date). I graduated last year and am taking a gap year. I got my letters written when I was in school and now all my letters are going to be "expired.."

I am really upset right now. I really want to go to this school, however I just read that your letters of rec have to be written AFTER August 2013 (within 2 years of matriculation date). I graduated last year and am taking a gap year. I got my letters written when I was in school and now all my letters are going to be "expired.."

I had the same issue, as I graduated undergrad in 2011. I just sent an email and another Interfolio request to the professor who wrote me the letter a couple of years ago, asking for him to simply reupload the letter in Interfolio and/or change any date he included within the body of the letter. It took him just a few minutes- I'm sure it won't be an inconvenience for your writers, either!

Mine are literally like 3-4 months older than the date

I can't imagine that they wouldn't be flexible if it's just a matter of a few months. I spoke with someone in the admissions office yesterday; she was super friendly and helpful. I'm sure if you call and explain the situation, it would encourage them to make an exception. If not- don't let the dates of your letters hold you back from applying! I'd just request an updated submission of your letters via Interfolio- I'm sure it really wouldn't be a problem :)

I can't imagine that they wouldn't be flexible if it's just a matter of a few months. I spoke with someone in the admissions office yesterday; she was super friendly and helpful. I'm sure if you call and explain the situation, it would encourage them to make an exception. If not- don't let the dates of your letters hold you back from applying! I'd just request an updated submission of your letters via Interfolio- I'm sure it really wouldn't be a problem :)

So far I got two of my letter writers to update them already! For KCUMB, can we submit more than the two letters? Also, it says a doctor letter is required. I do have an MD and DO doctor that I have shadowed, but if I can't get them to update the date of the letter, do you know if a letter from my P.I. would suffice? He is an M.D.

"(For example: If you are applying to enter KCUMB-COM during the 2013-2014 academic year, letters must be dated after August 2011.)"

Pretty sure it's saying that if you got your letters after August 2012 ( Not August 2013) then you're fine. Them having a 1 cycle per letter lifespan would be very unreasonable.

Btw, has anyone contacted them regarding multiple mcat scores?

"(For example: If you are applying to enter KCUMB-COM during the 2013-2014 academic year, letters must be dated after August 2011.)"

Pretty sure it's saying that if you got your letters after August 2012 ( Not August 2013) then you're fine. Them having a 1 cycle per letter lifespan would be very unreasonable.

You are reading this wrong. It says that only have two years from your matriculation date. Our matriculation date is August 2015. Therefore, we can only have letters dated after August 2013.

You are reading this wrong. It says that only have two years from your matriculation date. Our matriculation date is August 2015. Therefore, we can only have letters dated after August 2013.

So... why did they write after august 2011 for 2013-2014 cycle then?

I concur with this. This is what i'm thinking from reading the application process.

@SynapticDoctah serenade was referring that you need your letters dated at least Aug 2012 for this cycle.

2013-2014 is LAST cycle. The current cycle we are all applying for is 2014-2015. @serenade

You're not following my train of thought.

If they're saying August 2011 for 2013-2014. Then it is to be imagined that ergo August 2012 is the cut off for 2014-2015.

I concur with this. This is what i'm thinking from reading the application process.

Oh, I could be entirely wrong. I just think that if their website is wrong that chances are they probably are at least a bit flexible.

Yeah, after rereading your post it dawned on me haha. Hmmm...I am not sure. However, on their website it says "2 years from matriculation date." I will call tomorrow. @serenade

Keep us in touch, also ask them about their standards on mulitple mcat scores. I'm trying to see if the list we have from before is accurate.

We are applying to matriculate for the 2015-2016 academic year; thus, the letters can't be dated before August 2013. For those who prefer the two year explanation- we are entering August 15' so our letters can't be dated before August 13'.

This is the first time I have heard anyone throw around the idea of 80 shadowing hours, I have 50, does that really take me out of the running?

Good luck with those stats)

Wait are you saying I have a good chance or were you sarcastically saying I don't have a good chance? Thanks, if it's the first! KCUMB is my top choice.

This is the first time I have heard anyone throw around the idea of 80 shadowing hours, I have 50, does that really take me out of the running?

I'm in the same boat.. might try to squeeze more in before/if my secondary comes.

We are applying to matriculate for the 2015-2016 academic year; thus, the letters can't be dated before August 2013. For those who prefer the two year explanation- we are entering August 15' so our letters can't be dated before August 13'.

This may very well be the case. But I sincerely doubt they're going to be hardcore about maintaining a 1 cycle per letter rule.

I mean they're still getting all my letters regardless because my school is a committee letter and packet school.

But again, I really don't think they're hardcore about this requirement as it would essentially prevent anyone from reapplying.

My application was released on July 3rd. 3.6sgpa, 3.56cgpa, ps 7/vr 7/ bio 11 mcat and retook on July 2nd. Have well above average ECs. Should I have received a secondary from them by now or is this typical? I know they are tougher with pre screening than other schools. Hopefully I didn't get prescreened out!

My application was released on July 3rd. 3.6sgpa, 3.56cgpa, ps 7/vr 7/ bio 11 mcat and retook on July 2nd. Have well above average ECs. Should I have received a secondary from them by now or is this typical? I know they are tougher with pre screening than other schools. Hopefully I didn't get prescreened out!

They take almost a month from what I can tell.. But don't quote me.
Minimum is 26 with min 7 in each section. The new dean is tougher on this requirement. :/ You may have to wait for your new scores it will take longer for your app than others. Good luck!

They take almost a month from what I can tell.. But don't quote me.
Minimum is 26 with min 7 in each section. The new dean is tougher on this requirement. :/ You may have to wait for your new scores it will take longer for your app than others. Good luck!
Did they change the mcat requirement? Website still shows 24 with nothing below a 7 in each section.

Did they change the mcat requirement? Website still shows 24 with nothing below a 7 in each section.

You're right, so sorry! The average is 25.9 according to last year's thread. In my mind I was thinking that was the minimum. If you look at last year's thread there are tons of people who got in with borderline (or lower) stats, so you should be fine especially with your app in early. Look there for advice!

Reactions: 1 users
You're right, so sorry! The average is 25.9 according to last year's thread. In my mind I was thinking that was the minimum. If you look at last year's thread there are tons of people who got in with borderline (or lower) stats, so you should be fine especially with your app in early. Look there for advice!

So their average last year was a 26 on the Mcat?

I was down on campus for an accepted students day for the COB earlier this summer and the dean mentioned this falls matriculating class is around a 28 average. The website shows the class of 2017 as a 26 average: http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/students-and-alumni/

That is kind of a big jump in mcat average.

It'll fall back down. But it's not too surprising this year was the most competitive DO cycle yet. It'll only continue to get more and more from now on.

So their average last year was a 26 on the Mcat?

I was down on campus for an accepted students day for the COB earlier this summer and the dean mentioned this falls matriculating class is around a 28 average. The website shows the class of 2017 as a 26 average: http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/students-and-alumni/

That is kind of a big jump in mcat average.

Yeah I heard that last year was about 28.... The 26 was from the class two years ago.

I don't know that it will fall back down if it's continuing to get more competitive and the new dean being more strict on it...? They don't have much room to increase class size either.