KCOM diplomates program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

algae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - did anyone else receive a letter from KCOM about this program? If one already has a letter of recommendation from a DO who is not a KCOM grad, is it really worth pursuing this diplomates thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I got a letter too. I'm interested in communicating with my "contact" not so much for a recommendation, but to learn whatever this person has to share about KCOM.

I also received the letter. I spoke with KCOM about it today and I found out they (KCOM) doesnt follow up on it. Which kinda doesnt make much sense... you have a nice option avail, so it would make sense to track it... Hiddy Ho.

I called my contact on Monday... Spoke with him for ~40 minutes on the phone (which I think is a good thing!). I am traveling about 1.5-2 hours to shadow him next week. I am not shadowing him specifically for the clinical experience, just simply to talk with him about KCOM (his son just graduated from there also). I think this is a great insight into the school (what alum have to say about it).

-A

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh?? what is the diplomates program? The DO that I've been shadowing is a graduate of Kirks.

To the best of my knowledge (which is limited in this subject) the Diplomats program is full of KCOM grads who have volunteered to serve as contacts in their areas for the school to help applicants etc.

I know one way people become diplomats is by being a student ambassador during their second year at KCOM and participating in a certain number of activities (quite a few) but I am sure others can get involved.

I think the program sounds nice, I would have loved to have had a KCOM grad to chat with before school.

The diplomats are previous graduates in your local area that have volunteered to talk with you about KCOM.
If you have any questions about KCOM, feel free to send me questions at [email protected]
I am in my 6th day of class, and I feel like I am benching 50 pounds more weight than I can lift and trying to get some sleep at the same time.

Toran,
Sleep is overrated. I actually usually got around 6 hours per night. (Less the night before exams during the first 6 quarters. especially for Pharm) By the time I got to the last two quarters my study partner and I decided that we liked sleep better than studying and that an extra hour or two of studying wouldn't make that much difference to us anyhow. We often would get up early in the morning to study only to take naps on the couches up in front of the president's office until it was test time. Our grades actually went up when we started studying less.

I think that you are right, however I am so nervous that I am trying to study more than necessary rather than less. I just want to pass at this point, and until I am used to the grind I won't be sleeping much. Who needs sleep when you have coffee? I understand you completely! How's KC?

bustin, don't make me bust out with another leg work-out! I'll do pyramids 'til you can't make that booty walk.

Toran,
KC was great. The month off was great. Now that I sit back in K'ville 2 stay, for the first time in a month, well I am depressed. Just kidding it is good to be back. We start orientation at our hospital on Wednesday. I can't wait to get started with our 3rd year.
Enjoy your classes. It gets better. I think the first quarter of medical school has to be one of the hardest. You are in a new town, with new people doing a new thing. It is a huge adjustment. Every quarter will involve a little adjustment as classes move on but this is the hardest adjustment to make.

Toran go eat a double quarter pounder w/xtra cheese.
My apologies to everyone else for getting off subject.

Thanks for your kind words Carrie; the last couple of nights have been really hard. Your timing is perfect. This quarter has been really rough so far, and I am only seven days into it.

Toran