2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats!!
Thank you! I was incredibly worried being in this position, but I was lucky to receive multiple acceptances, so if you’re in this position definitely don’t lose hope or give up! D.O. schools generally have a much more holistic approach to looking at your applications anyway, so if you have a otherwise strong application you should be fine! This was my favorite school I interviewed at by far, each interviewer seemed like the genuinely wanted to get to know me and learn about the experiences I had- no one asked about my score. If you have any questions along the way feel free to reach out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance call!

Reactions: 1 user
Been complete since Aug 23. Haven’t heard anything since. Anyone in a similar boat?

I got the acceptance call today at 4:30. No matter what happens in the rest of my interviews, I’m going to med school!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted on Monday Oct. 11, my first! Interviewed 9/17. So excited, everyone at the interview was so nice and welcoming!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance call! My first one - I'm in disbelief but sooo excited!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all, I’m a current student here so if you guys have any questions about this school feel free to DM me! Throwing this out here bc i feel like it’s always helpful to talk to current students when deciding if a school is a good fit. Good luck y’all and congrats to everyone who has been accepted! :)

Got accepted here today. I hope everyone I interviewed with last week is accepted, and hope to see you next year!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has sent an update letter/letter of interest to ATSU? I haven't heard back from them and I've been complete since 9/28 and my R's from everywhere else are piling up. Is that too soon? Also, has anyone here gotten an II or A from one ATSU and an R from another? Any advice would be great!

Has anyone else who interviewed on 10/22 received an email that says their decision is coming out on January 28?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has sent an update letter/letter of interest to ATSU? I haven't heard back from them and I've been complete since 9/28 and my R's from everywhere else are piling up. Is that too soon? Also, has anyone here gotten an II or A from one ATSU and an R from another? Any advice would be great!
I was accepted to the KCOM campus but got a very early hold from the SOMA campus. If it helps, many students I’ve talked to at KCOM didn’t interview until late winter/spring.

I was accepted to the KCOM campus but got a very early hold from the SOMA campus. If it helps, many students I’ve talked to at KCOM didn’t interview until late winter/spring.
oh nice, congrats! did you ever send a letter of interest or anything?

Too late to submit secondary at this school? Above average stats but no DO shadowing

late to post but interviewed 10/25 and accepted 10/29! the in-person interview was great, would highly recommend going in-person if possible!

Just got an interview invite, does anyone have any advice?
Three 30 minute one on one sessions. I had one interviewer who asked your standard interview questions like strengths/weakness, ethical dilemma you've faced etc., the other two were super relaxed and they really just wanted to get to know you. Know why you did things with reference to your med school application and maybe what you took from that experience. Overall, it was just a great interview experience. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
My in-person interview is this week and I'm super nervous. What did you all bring to the interview? It's open-file, so really not sure if bringing my resume/app is necessary. Also, for the reception the night before, what did everyone wear? Is it formal just like the interview or more casual? It's my first interview this cycle and it's in-person as well... really unsure what to expect :/

My in-person interview is this week and I'm super nervous. What did you all bring to the interview? It's open-file, so really not sure if bringing my resume/app is necessary. Also, for the reception the night before, what did everyone wear? Is it formal just like the interview or more casual? It's my first interview this cycle and it's in-person as well... really unsure what to expect :/
Just bring a pen, mask, and a water bottle to the interview. They’ll give you a folder with plenty of information. For the reception, I wore business casual (Dress Shirt, Tie, Slacks). Not sure what that entails for girls, but maybe a dress shirt/cardigan and slacks. Good luck, you got this!

• Love
Just bring a pen, mask, and a water bottle to the interview. They’ll give you a folder with plenty of information. For the reception, I wore business casual (Dress Shirt, Tie, Slacks). Not sure what that entails for girls, but maybe a dress shirt/cardigan and slacks. Good luck, you got this!
Did you bring a backpack or bag to carry things in?

Three 30 minute one on one sessions. I had one interviewer who asked your standard interview questions like strengths/weakness, ethical dilemma you've faced etc., the other two were super relaxed and they really just wanted to get to know you. Know why you did things with reference to your med school application and maybe what you took from that experience. Overall, it was just a great interview experience. Good luck!
Thanks so much! I appreciate it!!

the reception the night before is super chill. I wore business professional and felt super overdressed. Business casual is good.

I interviewed recently, and they let me know that I was "selected as an Alternate to the first year class beginning Summer 2022. An acceptance may be possible should openings arise." Is this a waitlist? I looked through the SDN 2020-2021 forum, and people were saying that there was an alternate status and an accepted pending status. What is the difference between these two positions and what does it mean for the position that I am in?

I interviewed recently, and they let me know that I was "selected as an Alternate to the first year class beginning Summer 2022. An acceptance may be possible should openings arise." Is this a waitlist? I looked through the SDN 2020-2021 forum, and people were saying that there was an alternate status and an accepted pending status. What is the difference between these two positions and what does it mean for the position that I am in?
I believe that the accepted pending seat (APS) status is an acceptance but for the next year, so in this case, it would be a guaranteed acceptance for the class starting in 2023. If there are openings for next year's class, people on the APS list can be offered a seat for class matriculating in 2022. The alternate status is just a waitlist I think.

How long did it take them to give you your decision after the interview?

Too late to submit secondary at this school? Above average stats but no DO shadowing
Just noticed this question went unanswered. Last year, one of my letter writers got my letter in very late (December), I got an II in January and was put on the waitlist. I think there were still people getting A's when I got my answer. I am still seeing people with II's and some A's so it might be worth your time.

I believe that the accepted pending seat (APS) status is an acceptance but for the next year, so in this case, it would be a guaranteed acceptance for the class starting in 2023. If there are openings for next year's class, people on the APS list can be offered a seat for class matriculating in 2022. The alternate status is just a waitlist I think.

How long did it take them to give you your decision after the interview?
Am I in a worse position compared to those on APS in terms of those who they take off the waitlist and get accepted?

It took them 2 weeks.

Am I in a worse position compared to those on APS in terms of those who they take off the waitlist and get accepted?

It took them 2 weeks.
I really can't say, sorry :( I only know about this because my SO was on the APS list last year.

Can any current students shed some light on what rotations are like here? I know the school is very well established, but are there good affiliations already with hospitals in the general area or do students often have to seek out rotation spots on their own/move frequently?

So I got an email stating to be most competitive at an interview is to obtain 10-15 hours of direct osteopathic medicine shadowing. I’m not sure if I missed that prerequisite while researching for the school somewhere but on their website, I see only 100 hours needed and it’s not specified that it needs to be DO clinical hours. I have over 3000 hours from scribing MDs. Did anyone else have this issue?