Kirksville facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laboholic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has seen the Kirksville campus please describe the quality of the facilities to me? (e.g. how new are the buildings, research facilities, and teaching technology?) Also, how do they compare to the Des Moines campus?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kirksville's facilities are really great. The only thing I could find to complain about was the fact that their anatomy labs are a block or two away from the main facility. We were there on a VERY cold and blustery day... so it made me think twice. The staff is wonderful, the facilities are wonderful, the program is top-notch.

Kirsksville and DMU were my top two and choosing was definitely difficult.

DMU has a stronger OMM program, IMHO, though. We get two years of it and I believe KCOM has one. Also, DMU has ONE semester of Anatomy (thank goodness we'll be done in about 9 weeks... but who's counting?)... and I believe KCOM has a full year. I don't think I could take that...

Good luck with your decision!

MsEvolution said:
We get two years of it and I believe KCOM has one.
At KCOM, we get 6 quarters of OMT and a very detailed year of anatomy.

As for facilities, there is a mix of old and new. (Older labs, newer classrooms.) The new IT building is supposed to be done by next year (though it is still a big hole in the ground at this point). We have some classes that use WebCT for online quizzes and most of our lecture notes and PPTs are available online. For study we have breakout rooms with computers and SmartBoards available. We also have wireless access for most of the campus. We have human simulator labs that will be moved to the new IT bldg when it is done.

I didn't check out DMU so I can't make a comparision.

Members don't see this ad :)
laboholic said:
Can anyone who has seen the Kirksville campus please describe the quality of the facilities to me? (e.g. how new are the buildings, research facilities, and teaching technology?)

Thanks!

Kirksville is fairly unique in that the campus is part of a hospital complex. Many DO schools don't have that. It isn't unheard of to walk to your car and see the life flight helicopter landing at the other end of the lot.

Facilities:

OTM Lab - (OTM the first 3 quarters of the first two years - 6 total)
The instructor at the center of the room. And if you can't see him, there are video monitors around the room. All labs recorded to use video later for study, etc. Bonus - nicely maintained OTM tables. So nice you might not guess some were around with A.T. Still.
---About 12 students have to be in a separate room via video because there isn't enough room. The new building next year will be more than adequate.---

Anatomy Lab - (first 3 quarters of first year)
Not much to say - good lighting, plenty of fellows and staff to help. Usually 4 people per body, just right in my opinion. Yes - it is down the street from the main campus area. I've been to other schools where it took longer to walk to your car.

Histo & Biochem Labs -
Histo is in the same building as anatomy. Biochem is in the main building. Not much to say there. Good scopes for rent.

Class Rooms -
Two main classrooms - one for 1st year, one for 2nd. Most presentations done on giant color projector screen, good audio system. (Most) Lectures recorded in MP3 for later use. Because there is audio there is no noteservice.

Study Areas -
Several "breakout rooms" with SmartBoard, audio/visual systems. Room for a dozen students in each, usually just a few studying in each at once. Right next to them are four doctor's office-style exam rooms. You get to practice histories, etc, starting pretty early with "actors" from the community - then review yourself on video later.

The Dungeon is popular for study - is in the basement of the main building. Don't let the name fool you - it is pretty nice. And one of the student organizations has organized it so you can always find text books there. If you really wanted to, you'd NEVER have to buy a text book.

The Anatomy building also has a roomy, quiet study room. Many, maybe most students seem to study off campus. Quite a few seem to like the local university library, about 3 blocks away.

The new building will have lots of study room.

Library
You can check out any required text for 2 hours - latest version. Some students do this instead of buying it. Small quiet study room, lots of computers. Overall a small library. The new building will have a much bigger one. But really, how much time do you have to run through books? You need condensed focus info - not too much time to peruse books.

Rec Room
Ping Pong (Table Tennis) is very popular. Paddles and balls supplied.
Air Hocky.
Foose ball.
Video games (don't seem to get used too much).
Comfy couches and chairs.
Big TV with VCR/DVD and Surround Sound

Misc.
Wireless internet all over campus, even in anatomy.
Free phones (local) in breakout rooms and around campus.
SmartBoards are really cool.
Nice atrium-like commons area for lunch, study, hanging out.
You walk into the main entrance and pass the cabin A.T. Still was born in, and the 1st school of osteopathy (about the size of the average modern living room) every day.
TCC - athletic center. Lots of classes, activities, sports, equipment, stuffed into a fairly small (but not TOO small) building. Full size basketball court.

thanks for the info! any DMU people want to counter?

I interviewed at both. DMU is impressive in that everything is new. Not everything is new at KCOM, but I don't think that is a big deal. I've been accepted to KCOM, still waiting to hear from DMU, but I still think I'll go to KCOM.

I really think that DMU outshines KCOM in every aspect. Their facilities are top notch (brand new as someone pointed out - kick A$$ lecture halls, lots of break out rooms, a sweet gym with all new ellipticals/treadmills/free weights/basketball court, rec rooms to relax in w/ widescreen TVs, plush couches, assorted ping pong/foosball/pool tables), OMM faculty is award-winning, strong OMM emphasis w/smaller #s of people in labs for more attention from professors/fellows/2nd year TA's (no need for video cameras & TVs, you can actually SEE and HEAR all instructors), awesome surgical skills lab (where you can learn suturing, IV administrations, basic surgical techniques - I've been told this is immensely important experience for 3rd year Surg. rotations!), an ACTUAL library that takes up an entire floor, not like at KCOM which looks like a hole in the wall, Cardiac simulator w/37 different programmable heart conditions that you can SEE and HEAR on "Harvey" the dummy, every lecture available in MP3 format, notepool, systems based curriculum starting 2nd year, GREAT match lists, wireless access everywhere on campus, including in the attached medical center (itself quite a resource!), IT dept gives new students a sweet laptop at the beginning of 1st year (which you keep) and a PDA before you go on rotations (which you also keep) - this is important because it is already covered in your tuition! I interviewed at KCOM and they have a mandatory computer requirement but do not help you pay for it at all, kinda turned me off IMO. I realize that KCOM is sort of considered the MECCA of DO schools due to its history and whatnot, but I think DMU takes everything that is good and bad about KCOM and vastly improves on it.

In KCOM's defense I don't think any school really compares to DMU. Student-centered environment, top notch faculty/facilities, insane technology, a metro with 500,000 that offers plenty of job opportunities for spouses/family and lots of entertainment, and a campus with about 1100 students that feels like a tight knit community. They want you to succeed here! My feedback on KCOM is the 10/8/05 feedback which is much more detailed than here - that has all the reasons that I really didn't think KCOM was the place for me.

I realize that I deviated somewhat from the OP's topic of interest, my apologies. I get really excited thinking about next year at DMU, I just have to sing it's praises and encourage everyone to at least give it a look! Give it a chance, I know you won't be dissappointed...

laboholic said:
Can anyone who has seen the Kirksville campus please describe the quality of the facilities to me? (e.g. how new are the buildings, research facilities, and teaching technology?) Also, how do they compare to the Des Moines campus?

Thanks!

Old & Less than desirable. After interviewing at the beautiful AZCOM campus, I felt the KCOM campus was dismal. This implies nothing about the quality of the school, but I would not have enjoyed spending time on the campus. It IS the oldest osteopathic school, and you can tell. Also, you have to walk down the street into downtown to these labs that look 100 years old.

I hear only good things about the Des Moines campus.

Old & Less than desirable.

You just described me! No wonder I don't notice the cobwebs and outhouses!

Are there any opportunities to buy a condo or something near the DMU or Kirksville campus? Also, how do the parking situations compare? Do you have to pay to park at either campus? Are there good bus systems if parking is bad?

Thanks for everyone's comments. They have been really helpful!

I know this is a little off topic but can KCOM and DMU students comment on their 3rd and 4th year rotations?

Also, how many students per cadaver at DMU?

Thank you. I'm trying to decide between the two schools right now.

I think the parking permit at DMU costs like $25 for a year or something like that. Don't quote me on that, but I do know that it is very cheap. Parking is not an issue for DMU from my understanding. Not sure about KCOM though. I wouldn't imagine you need busing for either school - they accomodate drivers well.

laboholic said:
Are there any opportunities to buy a condo or something near the DMU or Kirksville campus? Also, how do the parking situations compare? Do you have to pay to park at either campus? Are there good bus systems if parking is bad?

Thanks for everyone's comments. They have been really helpful!

Hey,
I'm a first year at dmu and i could field these ??s. The grand total for parking, on campus, is a whopping $40 for the entire four years. That's right, $10/year. It's a nominal fee simply so they can monitor who parks there and for security value. Don't get me wrong, crime is not an issue. I have not felt safer in any city, except maybe London, which is weird. Anyway, there are some condos near campus. A new group of them just went up a few blocks away and look really nice. I have some classmates in them, but I have not visited them. They have said that they love living there.
Someone asked about the cadaver situation. DO's and Podiatry students take anatomy together, as well as most of our 1st year classes, and we share our cadavers as well. There are four students per cadaver, per group. There are two groups of students per cadaver. It's a huge difference having another group sharing the cleaning of everything out. I thought not doing it all would stink, I actually am grateful. You'll see what I mean when all you do for two hours is remove 'unnecessary' tissue to get to the 'meat' of the matter.
Good luck y'all with your decisions.
:mad: :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to second what djnelsO1 talked about ;) . I have just completed a long road of interviews (11 total so far-MD and DO) and most recently returned home from Kirksville (Mecca) and Des Moines. Remember, this is just me speaking :confused: . There is really no comparison when talking about facilities. Don't get me wrong, Kirksville was fantastic. They have a lot of tradition, wonderful faculty, great city etc. and they are MOVING towards newer technology and facilities. However, Des Moines HAS that technology and facilites already and it was a fantastic experience. I left Des Moines feeling like "WOW" :wow: :eek: . Everyone is different but for the most part, I think others in my group felt the same way. Kirksville has a great campus, hospital and all but I felt that they were stuck in the 70's with their facilities and that was a turn off for me :barf: . A quick makeover and wolaaahh-sweet school with sweet facilites :horns: . Like I stated previously, I have had many interviews and have seen a large number of facilites (both DO and MD) and Des Moines was BY FAR the best (facilities). I was accepted to both and it will be a difficult choice to make but I would have to give DMU the edge. Best advice for you is to see the places for yourself. You can't go wrong with either school. Best of luck!! :luck:

On the cadaver situation, while I was there interviewing one of DMU's students told me that it sucked having another group on the same cadaver, because they did a crappy job dissecting it and they would have to redo that part and then do their own. Sharing a cadaver might not be bad if the other group is good, but do you want to do someone elses job, too?

If shiney, brand new facilities are important to you DMU definitely sounds better. A few caveats - a PDA and laptop aren't given to you - you pay for everything you get. LECOM has new facilities, too, but they don't compare.

Try acting as if you were blind. If you couldn't see the difference, what would be more important? If I were blind, I'd be curious about who my instructors were, how courses were designed, and how my clinical education would proceed.

Good luck!

smc927 said:
If shiney, brand new facilities are important to you DMU definitely sounds better. A few caveats - a PDA and laptop aren't given to you - you pay for everything you get.

"IT dept gives new students a sweet laptop at the beginning of 1st year (which you keep) and a PDA before you go on rotations (which you also keep) - this is important because it is already covered in your tuition!"

I probably didn't make this very clear, but the way I see it, DMU is about $3k less than Kirksville in tuition, and both require a computer to attend... DMU just gives you one (the cost of which is already covered in your tuition) and KCOM makes you buy your own (or bring one you may already have...). That's almost $4k more- This is an important distinction for me. Some would argue that cost of living in Kirksville would make up for this difference in $$$... I guess it's just up to you to decide! good luck-

I should point out that the $4k more is the TOTAL amount of money KCOM is more expensive than DMU, not just the cost of a computer-

djnels01 said:
I should point out that the $4k more is the TOTAL amount of money KCOM is more expensive than DMU, not just the cost of a computer-

Sorry to beat a dead horse...
KCOM doesn't "make you" buy a computer. There are computer labs and other resources around campus. A computer is not required - you can do just fine without one. As a matter of fact, many buy a laptop anyway only to realize they rarely need it.

Lots of differences - just focus on what is most important to YOU.

Good luck.

Also consider that KCOM's tuition includes the cost of 4 quaters, not three like most schools.

And to repeat whats been already said, KCOM does not require a computer. There are plenty in the library and each break out room has one. If you want one, the school has wireless capability in most areas. And I believe there will be more when the new addition opens.

What's great though, about KCOM's facilities is that it's pretty much open 24-7.

Open 'round the clock: the campus = the commons, dungeon, breakout rooms (Smartboards too), OTM lab, rec room (unofficially)

Open till 11 or midnight: the gym, study rooms by anatomy lab, anatomy and histo labs, library. I believe that as long as you're already IN the anatomy lab itself, you can stay there for as long as you want, but the entire building will be locked. I could be wrong, I've never done this.

This is especially great when you'd rather study on-campus instead of at home with your kids (or roommates!) running around. And yes, we have security personnel around for our safety.

With the previous responses regarding KCOM, I think what we have is sufficient. I personally don't need a lot of bling-bling bells+whistles type stuff when it comes to school. It's all up to what you're gonna need for yourself.

-N

I felt that after my interviews, that BOTH schools are rich in history and tradition. Don't forget, DMU is the second oldest DO school in the country. To imply that one would go to a school simply because of it's "bells and whistles" is ignorant. Both schools will give you a fantastic education, it is just the little things like an attitute toward future development and staying on the cutting edge of technology that turns me on about DMU. Don't get me wrong I loved Kirksville and, like I posted earlier, it will be a tough choice for me to make between the two, but technology is IMPORTANT and should be for all of us. It is the wave of the future of medicine. History is great, but the future is better. :)

KCOM has technology comparable to DMU. KCOM has a wireless campus. As mentioned before, they have smartboards in their study rooms (large screens mounted on the walls), they currently have two human patient simulators, and when their new technology building opens next fall they will have six. This new building will also house a new OMM lab. I don't think DMU has a technological advantage over KCOM. It is nice that they give you a laptop and a handheld, but that would not be a deciding factor on which school I would attend.

I realize that many people have stated that a computer is NOT required at KCOM. I just want to say that on my interview day 2 weeks ago, Donna in the admissions stated that starting this next year a computer is REQUIRED for students matriculating there. My understanding was that it was the first year they were doing this. I am just going on what I was told...

Can anyone verify this for me?

djnels01 said:
I realize that many people have stated that a computer is NOT required at KCOM. I just want to say that on my interview day 2 weeks ago, Donna in the admissions stated that starting this next year a computer is REQUIRED for students matriculating there. My understanding was that it was the first year they were doing this. I am just going on what I was told...

Can anyone verify this for me?

How could you go to medical school and not have a computer?

OSUdoc08 said:
Beats me!? smc and medicfletch, how many students at KCOM choose not to have a computer there? Any rough estimates?

Daddydoc said:
KCOM has technology comparable to DMU. KCOM has a wireless campus. As mentioned before, they have smartboards in their study rooms (large screens mounted on the walls), they currently have two human patient simulators, and when their new technology building opens next fall they will have six. This new building will also house a new OMM lab. I don't think DMU has a technological advantage over KCOM. It is nice that they give you a laptop and a handheld, but that would not be a deciding factor on which school I would attend.

DMU is completely wireless also. I was told in my interview that there are many holes in the wireless connections at Kirksville?? Kirksville=no LAN connections in the lecture halls, and DMU has "Harvey". Not as cool as Kirksville's simulator, but at least it's something. DMU=electronically adjustable OMM tables etc. Have you even been to DMU??? Sounds to me like you haven't and if you have, it wasn't recently (last year or so) was it? :eek: If not, you would have no idea what advances they have made. Right???????
I do wish DMU had the smartboards, they were sweet. The new building at Kirksville, I was told by Andy and others, may not be completed by next year. Depends on the weather??? Both schools are great, it just depends on your likes or dislikes.

Actually, I was there two weeks ago for an interview. Yes, I was impressed with all the new, shiny toys.

Usually I throw a few glances at my laptop before I leave for class in the morning, just to make sure I really want to go to medical school and not have a computer. Sometimes it's a tough decision. I mean seriously, who could do it? Sometimes I wish Netter would have just drawn out his illustrations on paper and printed them up in some sort of book form. That way I wouldn't have to lug my laptop to school. And seriously, how can you study histology and biochemistry from notes on a paper? That would be like using caveman petroglyphs to study medicine. Let's be serious here. Definite posterior glide of the radial head from all that page turning.

I just have to throw a stuck up snivel at the kids at KCOM with no computers. I mean, what are they going to do on the boards when they ask whether or not you bring your laptop to class? Definitely going to affect KCOM board pass rates. I hear at OSU they have 99.9997% board pass rates beause of their extreme laptop usage. I also hear from the continual pimping in numerous threads unreleated to emergency medicine that OSU has a great EM program. It's clearly the best in the nation. In fact, it's the only EM program in the state! I mean, seriously, why wouldn't it be the best?

Seriously, no computers? HOW WILL I LEARN MEDICINE?

JohnDO said:
Usually I throw a few glances at my laptop before I leave for class in the morning, just to make sure I really want to go to medical school and not have a computer. Sometimes it's a tough decision. I mean seriously, who could do it? Sometimes I wish Netter would have just drawn out his illustrations on paper and printed them up in some sort of book form. That way I wouldn't have to lug my laptop to school. And seriously, how can you study histology and biochemistry from notes on a paper? That would be like using caveman petroglyphs to study medicine. Let's be serious here. Definite posterior glide of the radial head from all that page turning.

I just have to throw a stuck up snivel at the kids at KCOM with no computers. I mean, what are they going to do on the boards when they ask whether or not you bring your laptop to class? Definitely going to affect KCOM board pass rates. I hear at OSU they have 99.9997% board pass rates beause of their extreme laptop usage. I also hear from the continual pimping in numerous threads unreleated to emergency medicine that OSU has a great EM program Probably the best in the nation. In fact, it's the only EM program in the state! I mean, seriously, why wouldn't it be the best?

Seriously, no computers? HOW WILL I LEARN MEDICINE?

Actually, in our pathology class --> the slides for our exams are only found online. It is illegal to print them out due to Dr. Goljan's copyright laws.

In addition all of our classes have powerpoints which we require the computer to use. We have interactional histology and anatomy lab websites within our school's intranet as well.

In addition, each seat has a computer plug-in as well as wireless internet throughout the school.

It would be impossible to do well without a computer, and those that don't have them are forced to spend their time on campus in the computer lab, which is often inconvenient---especially if you don't live by the campus.

By the way, there are 3 EM programs in my state, and they are all affiliated with OSU. I'm not sure how that has any relevance to the topic at hand of laptops.

I heard KCOM has some of the best connections out of ALL the DO schools for those interested in Emergency Medicine. The first time board scores are phenominal...like 101.9997% or something. Don't ask how this is possible, I can only go by what I read.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, I was pretty much thinking the same exact thing. So I went and bought a laptop way before I even started here just to be sure I could use it effectively when I started medical school.

Now that I am here, I realized one just wasn't enough. So I bought an ultra portable. This way I could whip it out at a moments notice whenever the need might arise. Like if I have to view a Power Point while waiting in line for some food...or something silly like that. I rarely, if ever, use books or paper handouts. That is so technology yesterday.

On occasion, I'll bring both laptops to class. I figure this will give me a slight edge over the rest of the class (hey, every little bit helps...right?) No worries...at KCOM every seat has like multiple outlets/ethernet connections. It's such an advantage to have multiple power points up on two different screens.

I am probably going to get an ultra, ultra slim compact portable next year so I can excel on the boards!

TRUTH number one? Every seat in both lecture rooms have TWO power plugs and TWO ethernet ports (alongside the wireless--in case you forgot your card).

TRUTH number two? Lecture notes are provided that requires no other reading, honestly. A computer, for the most part, is a HUGE waste of time.

Good luck on your decision. To be honest, I chose KCOM BECAUSE of the old buildings. I knew that the school would be using my money in other locations that would be beneficial if it didn't have to spend an enormous amount on its capital. Would you prefer 20% of your tuition spent on the building's mortgage payment, or would you prefer it spent training the school's clinical instructors?

If you are making the decision based on technology, then you are making a HORRIBLE decision. Ask questions more relevant to your medical career, such as what the rotation scene is like. I have no idea what DMU does for it's juniors and seniors, so I am not ripping on them at all. I don't see how they can't be a wonderful school. Once you have gotten through a year of med school you realize that anybody could administer a first and second year of medical school; it is the clinicals that set people apart. I am stating the facts. KCOM will set up your rotations for you (as opposed to some schools that say "drop your 30,000 at the door and we'll see you at graduation in two years"). This is one of the reasons why KCOM has such high tuition.

Good point, I guess to each his own. However, DMU is over 100 years old, I'm sure they aren't still making loan payments. They spiffed up the school a little but Kirksville is doing the same right? Thanks for the input guys, it's a difficult choice to make.

This is quick because I have a biochem test in 20 minutes.

I understand all of the comments that others have made about KCOM.

However, I definitely say come here and look at the school for yourself. I absolutely fell in love with this school when I came for my interview, which is a very common comment among students here. I am a tech-geek, and feel very comfortable in Kirksville. The school is growing, the new building which should be finished by next year will be awesome. I don't feel like the school is 'outdated' at all. And the administration and faculty are unbelievable. They will do anything at all that is possible to make sure that everyone at this school succeeds. As a student at Kirksville, you feel like YOU are important to the school.

I obviously can't compare this to other schools b/c I haven't attended anywhere else, but the most important point is that if you're considering KCOM (or any other school for that matter), go see it for yourself, get opinions from others, but let yourself form your own opinion.

OSUdoc08 said:
By the way, there are 3 EM programs in my state, and they are all affiliated with OSU. I'm not sure how that has any relevance to the topic at hand of laptops.

Ring.Ring.Ring.....Sarcasm calling.....duh
And of course since they are all affiliated with your school that just obviously makes OSU hands down they best DO school in the Nation. God why did I choose KCOM? Oh yeah, for a lot more reasons then having to have a computer in class. Because apparently all a computer in class is good for is to preach about how great your school is. :sleep:

To expand upon what Jesse wrote about KCOM. You really do need to come to the school and see for yourself what is has to offer. There is more to chosing a school than it's technology. Yes, it can at times enhance one's learning; but physicians have been trained for years without it and the quality of KCOM graduates has spoken for itself through both periods.

I will say, that the look of KCOM from the outside was not what I expected when I interviewed here either compared to what I had seen at some of the other schools. But the staff, quality of third and fourth year rotations, reputation, alumni and the history associated with school along with many other factors helped me overcome this superficial criteria and see that the school had a lot more to offer me than all of the others.

I did have a choice between DMU and KCOM and while I think nothing less of DMU's program, some of their presentation during my interview, the addition of the podiatry students (I don't think less of them, but adding 30 more people to an already large class seemed like to much for me) and the change in admissions staff when I applied halfway through the cycle helped me see past the intial enticement of the "free candy" to see that DMU wasn't the right fit for me.

I think each person should go and see the schools they're interested in and look beyond superficial things like technology and see where you fit best and will be comfortable.

Medicfletch said:
Ring.Ring.Ring.....Sarcasm calling.....duh
And of course since they are all affiliated with your school that just obviously makes OSU hands down they best DO school in the Nation. God why did I choose KCOM? Oh yeah, for a lot more reasons then having to have a computer in class. Because apparently all a computer in class is good for is to preach about how great your school is. :sleep:

My posts about computers have nothing to do with my school, nor am I trying to compare my school to yours.

There is no need for the personal attacks.

medicfletch you need to chill out- I think these forums are supposed to be open dailogues between pre-med/med students can share civil discourse, not immaturely attack other people's opinions. Many are stating reasons why they like DMU more than KCOM, and KCOM more than DMU. Everyone has their own opinions, get used to the fact that people will choose not to go to a school for certain reasons while others may choose that particular school for similair reasons...

Not trying to be inflammatory but the level of childishness on some of these threads is outstanding...

djnels01 said:
medicfletch you need to chill out- I think these forums are supposed to be open dailogues between pre-med/med students can share civil discourse, not immaturely attack other people's opinions. Many are stating reasons why they like DMU more than KCOM, and KCOM more than DMU. Everyone has their own opinions, get used to the fact that people will choose not to go to a school for certain reasons while others may choose that particular school for similair reasons...

Not trying to be inflammatory but the level of childishness on some of these threads is outstanding...

Woo! Where do you come off? My comments were never meant to be portrayed as childish. I am simply providing information per others request as to why you should not choose a school based solely on the appearance of its facilities or the technology it uses. I am solely offering my comparison of these two schools and providing my rationale for choosing the school I did. I was fortunate to have multiple acceptances and found it quite difficult to choose between several of them and when you try to post helpful advice to others in similar situations on these forums, it seems you keep getting met with the same BS responses over and over again.

If I have any problem, it is with those who spend countless hours on this forum replying to questions similar to that inquired by the OP with answers such as...Well my school has A so that obviously makes it the best school out there and if you don't go to my school than you are inferior. Or how can you be a medical student if you don't have this.

It is these same people who repeatedly provide the same useless information that often leads to misinformation about respective schools and have become quite the topic of conversation at my school. Each school has it advantages and disadvantages, yes this is true, but instead of using these forums as the gospel, go and visit the schools you are interested in and see first hand if you will A: be happy there and B: Be happy learning there. Talk to the students and get a first hand perespective. Not, well so and so from XCOM said this on SDN about YCOM so I don't think I will go there. Because then you might just miss out.

And as for my previous comment, I happen to know for a fact that what I replied with was John DO's and Mx's reasons for posting.

If there are no further constructive comments on the facilities in Kirksville I think that the OPs question has been answered and we should not turn this into a flame war. Thanks :)

Is it possible to compare two things on SDN and not have a flame war? Im thinking it is not.

Thanks for all the info though.. very helpful

I'll chime in on the op's topic... I'm currently trying to decide between DMU and KCOM. From the start Kirksville was my number one choice, but when I visited DMU I am not so sure.

Comparing curriculums, with a friend of mine who attends KCOM, we found: KCOM takes more classes at once, but for an extended period of time. DMU has fewer classes at once, but they are more intense and have a shorter duration. Pick your style.

Clinical rotations and residency placements are very similar. In fact, we noted that many of the sites were the exact same. One thing that my kcom pal noted was that DMU had MUCH more elective time in the 3rd and 4th yr rotations which he said was a very nice thing.

KCOM is the first D.O. school, DMU is the second. The schools are both awesome!!

To answer the OP's question... I don't think the facilities compare. With DMU's new facilities, there is no comparison. DMU wins that one hands down.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Thanks for the help.

Nate said:
If there are no further constructive comments on the facilities in Kirksville I think that the OPs question has been answered and we should not turn this into a flame war. Thanks :)
dude...Nate, have you been lifting? :thumbup: you look freakin' huge in that pic! bigger than the last avatar anyway!

laboholic said:
Is it possible to compare two things on SDN and not have a flame war? Im thinking it is not.

Thanks for all the info though.. very helpful
in general, no :D

however, SDN has been extremely helpful in so many ways that I decided to donate and probably will in the future

djnels01 said:

I think some of those who have been on the site for awhile forget that those who just joined do not know the history of others opinions. I see where medicfletch was coming from because I have spent too much time on SDN in the past. I am happy to say I have overcome this problem.

Those new to the forum should take note of how long some have been members and this might shed some light on why certain comments seem harsh. :sleep:

jbone said:
Good point, I guess to each his own. However, DMU is over 100 years old, I'm sure they aren't still making loan payments. They spiffed up the school a little but Kirksville is doing the same right? Thanks for the input guys, it's a difficult choice to make.

It shouldn't be a difficult choice. I don't care what ANYONE who hasn't been out on rotations says. As someone who's been out on rotations for over a year and has come across, worked with, and had deep conversations with many DMU colleagues, there is no doubt that having to set up your own rotations, having to live from month to month in hospitals and hotels, and not having a "home" was something that every single DMU student was quite stressed about. KCOM has a great hospital network and they'll hook you up. I still remember the looks on people's faces ("people's" meaning DMU MSIII's and IV's) when I told then I had actually leased an apartment for one whole year because I wasn't going anywhere. This is something you must take seriously!

Just my $0.02

I was under the impression that DMU worked hard to help set you up with a place to stay while on rotation. Is this not true... do they make you fend for yourself? Yes it will suck to move all the time, but I think it is good to have diversity in your clinical years. I actually believe that traveling around will give you a better sense of how different hospitals are run and you also get to experience patient diversity.

-Discuss-

laboholic said:
I was under the impression that DMU worked hard to help set you up with a place to stay while on rotation. Is this not true... do they make you fend for yourself? Yes it will suck to move all the time, but I think it is good to have diversity in your clinical years. I actually believe that traveling around will give you a better sense of how different hospitals are run and you also get to experience patient diversity.

-Discuss-

Again, that all sounds real nice, but the fact of the matter is that, without exception, the DMU students (and students from other DO schools, I might add) were quite envious of the fact that KCOM students did not have to move around from month to month. Can't network in the community...don't get to know hospital staff, etc. If you're looking for diversity, go to places that intrinsically have it (e.g. Tampa, FL or Detroit, MI for example).