Kirksville facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VALSALVA said:
Again, that all sounds real nice, but the fact of the matter is that, without exception, the DMU students (and students from other DO schools, I might add) were quite envious of the fact that KCOM students did not have to move around from month to month. Can't network in the community...don't get to know hospital staff, etc. If you're looking for diversity, go to places that intrinsically have it (e.g. Tampa, FL or Detroit, MI for example).
Fact? Without exception? Those are pretty strong assertions, I hope you are able to prove them...

I believe DMU has CORE clinical sites around the U.S. where one could spend years 3 and 4 in their entirety if they don't feel like moving around "from month to month." In fact I have the information in print that was given to me on interview day, stating exactly that. We were also told this by the Dean of Admissions. I'm thinking that the DMU students that were envious of being able to "stay put" probably had the opportunity to apply for these particular sites and either were not selected there or just chose to hop around instead. KCOM is not the only school that offers this type of opportunity...

The picture that VALSALVA is painting is much more dramatic than I would imagine life really is. Granted, I don't have direct experience as a 3rd/4th year anywhere yet, but you'd have to take very little responsibility of your own to end up fending for yourself and "living from month to month in hospitals and hotels..." (WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?) I really don't think things are that bad for DMU, nor are they that spectacular for KCOM. I would imagine they're pretty darn similar for both schools actually...

*awaiting VALSALVA's scathing retribution...*

Members don't see this ad.

Look it. I'm just reporting what I observed...period. "I report...you decide." If there are opportunities for DMU students to stay put for their clinical years, then my only question is why in the world were DMU students complaining about their situation??? Sour Grapes?? That's just a guess. I didn't mean for this to turn into a "us vs. them" sort of thing. What else can I say??

djnels01 said:
Fact? Without exception? Those are pretty strong assertions, I hope you are able to prove them...

I believe DMU has CORE clinical sites around the U.S. where one could spend years 3 and 4 in their entirety if they don't feel like moving around "from month to month." In fact I have the information in print that was given to me on interview day, stating exactly that. We were also told this by the Dean of Admissions. I'm thinking that the DMU students that were envious of being able to "stay put" probably had the opportunity to apply for these particular sites and either were not selected there or just chose to hop around instead. KCOM is not the only school that offers this type of opportunity...

The picture that VALSALVA is painting is much more dramatic than I would imagine life really is. Granted, I don't have direct experience as a 3rd/4th year anywhere yet, but you'd have to take very little responsibility of your own to end up fending for yourself and "living from month to month in hospitals and hotels..." (WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?) I really don't think things are that bad for DMU, nor are they that spectacular for KCOM. I would imagine they're pretty darn similar for both schools actually...

*awaiting VALSALVA's scathing retribution...*

Valsalva, grunting through his maneuvers, is 100% correct here. There are schools that do absolutely NOTHING for you 3rd and 4th. KCOM is one of the few.

Members don't see this ad :)
1viking said:
Valsalva, grunting through his maneuvers, is 100% correct here. There are schools that do absolutely NOTHING for you 3rd and 4th. KCOM is one of the few.
One of the few that does nothing? I am confused...

I don't consider this an us versus them thread either. KCOM is a great school, it was my 2nd choice behind DMU. I fully believe that KCOM really helps its students out for 3rd and 4th year. I don't think, however, that you can generalize an entire school's (DMU) support system for 3rd and 4th years based on what a fraction of the student body expressed to you. I would be willing to bet that, as VALSALVA said, those few students were in fact "sour grapes." Everything I have heard up until this thread was that, like KCOM, DMU's support for 3rd and 4th year is stellar. I have no doubt that 1viking and VALSALVA are correct in their assertion that at some schools there is no support whatsoever for 3rd and 4th years. And that's really too bad-

On a lighter note, anyone attending/interviewing at Kirksville really like that human patient simulator!? Very neat...

At my interview at DMU, they mentioned several times that ou can choos to stay in one area for your rotations. They also mentioned that they have never turned someone away from staying in the Des Moines area to complete all their rotations.

FS-Pro said:
At my interview at DMU, they mentioned several times that ou can choos to stay in one area for your rotations. They also mentioned that they have never turned someone away from staying in the Des Moines area to complete all their rotations.
THANK YOU!

I second the thanks. As I mentioned before, what baffles me is why the 10-15 DMU students I came across were voicing frustration about having to "globe-trot" around the country! Perhaps sour grapes?

FYI - there were Western students who were in the same boat, but I came across fewer of those folks.

O.K., I interviewed and was accepted at both schools and I loved both of them but am choosing DMU over KCOM for this very reason. POPULATION.
Kirksville-Population about 20-25,000 depending on whom you ask.
(That number, I was told, included both University student bodies, about 18,000 without?) Kirksville, great TOWN but is a TOWN.
Des Moines-Population about 500-550,000 depending on whom you ask.
DMU=more than just a Walmart :thumbup: and is a CITY.
I don't see how it can be stated responsibly that KCOM has more LOCAL opportunities to stay in town than DMU? I was told directly from the mouth of the dean at KCOM that approx. 6-15??? students are allowed to do their rotations at their hospital and the rest of the students need to go out into the community and surrounding areas=NOMAD. Am I wrong? Does this not make sense???
This is a huge issue for me so if you can PROVE me wrong other that quoting "SOME *unknown* DMU students said..." than do so, please, I welcome it. I have a wife and a child and I don't want to move every month or two. :thumbdown: Which is the impression I was given after interviewing at KCOM. Am I wrong??? :confused: Both schools are over 100 years old with plenty of history and practicing physicians in the field so that is wash and KCOM's hospital, well it was pretty small and the day I went was absolutely dead, I saw no patients, so I would consider that a wash also. Anyway, if any DMU or KCOM students can add your input, it would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I was also told by the dean at DMU that people with children/married/own a home would be given special consideration when assigning rotation spots??? Just me but who knows, I think it a wash. :horns: PLEASE KILL ME!!! :eek:

The reason above was the very reason I cancelled my interview at KCOM after receiving my acceptance to DMU. I currently live in a very small town and know that the opporotunites in a bigger town are much better during the 3rd and 4th year. Plus with a wife and family, I CAN NOT be moving all of the time.

JBONE,

You are assigned a location based upon a "match" of where you want to go. If you match to a hospital base, you WILL stay at that hospital (very rarely you will travel a WHOOPING 10 minutes to another hospital). If you go preceptor based (probably 15% of the sites) you will be based in a "region" and will travel from preceptor to preceptor. Some will be near, some will be up to 45 minutes away. But, the fact of the matter is, you will remain in home for 2 years (unless you decide your home costs too much).

Soundman,

you made an uninformed decision, if that was the only reason you chose DMU over KCOM.

I am Keith's wife and was just reading this thread. I want to encourage those of you who are going to med school with a wife and maybe children to look into the spouse support at the school! KCOM has an outstanding Spouse Association. Without it, I think I would have gone crazy !!!!!!

and while kirksville is a small town, many of the 3-4 year rotation sites that are hospital based are in much much larger cities.

any 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) years who know more about rotatin sites want to coment on this one?

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't make my decision solely based on city size but it can only improve my chances of staying close to my University and home...right? While in Kirksville, I was 3 hours from any major city. Am I wrong here? If I buy a home in Kirksville, move my family to Kirksville, and attend Kirksville for 2 years, then what??? Can I STAY in Kirksville or the NEARBY surrounding areas and do my rotations WITHOUT leaving my family or selling my home? DMU seemed to have a few more options simply because of city size and hospital selection. AM I WRONG?? Help me. Thanks for the advice. :confused:

When I interviewed at the schools this is the information I obtained.

KCOM--> Years 3/4 will be spent at either a hospital based site or a regional area. You will stay there for the full 2 years unless when it comes time to implement your electives you choose to go else where for those few elective rotations. Very few students land the Kirksville hospital.

DMU--> Years 3/4 are at either a hosptial based site or a regional area also. However you go these locations for a mandatory 4 month primary care stint for rotations like internal, OBGYN, peds and psych (for what I remember). Also you are required to do 2 months of FP which may or may not be at the same site. The remaining required rotations and electives are to be completed at your discretion where you choose. From my questioning it is possible to stay at the site you just moved to for the 4 and 2 month stint, but it all depends on the site or region for what they have. Furthermore, DMU has access to the Ohio CORE which KCOM, and KCUMB does too I believe. This allows DMU students to stay for year three in Ohio and I possibly even year four. There are some posts here on SDN where DMU students suggest the Ohio core. DMU does have the ability to support more students at sites in Iowa and Des Moines, but like KCOM don't count on it.

Conclusion: If you want total stability go KCOM, if you want more freedom in your site selections go DMU. It is that simple.

For those of you wanting to not move for years 3/4 from the school location, my understanding has been the only places your going to be able to do that with certainty, without going MD, is to go to COMP or UMDNJ-SOM. I have no experience with CCOM, but I believe it is possible there too. For those of you deciding on DMU or KCOM over the other because one is better for not moving for the family, LOL. :laugh:

Thanks for the info Goodrain. Good stuff. :horns: